Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2846434

Subject: "of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar" Previous topic | Next topic
okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar"

Does anyone around here still check for these guys?

This new one is pretty great, Kevin's most focused effort in a loooong time. Heavily 60s/70s folk-rock inspired, it sounds like his pre-Sundlandic output and Hissing Fauna had a baby.

It's pretty refreshing to hear Kevin writing songs again. The songwriting is much more focused and the production much looser, the anti-False Priest so-to-speak. I was in the minority that loved Skeletal Lamping, but thought everything since then has ranged from boring to unlistenable.

She Aint Speakin Now is an instant favorite, belongs with the best songs in his catalog. Fugitive Air and Belle Glade Missionaries are also stand outs. I'm sure more will emerge with multiple listens.

If you're a jaded former fan, this one is definitely worth coming back for.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
Oct 08th 2013

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, I'm looking forward to listening. I actually really liked both Skeletal Lamping and False Priest, but Paralytic Stalks was a hot mess... think I listened to it twice and then put it away for good.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2846434 Previous topic | Next topic