Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2844933

Subject: "How Country Music Went Crazy (swipe) (I think it's a must read)" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 10:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How Country Music Went Crazy (swipe) (I think it's a must read)"

This might be the best music article EW has done in a long time. Even non-fans of the genre should read this. This is the kind of shit that I feel like hip hop went through a few years back and the pop won. It's just fascinating to watch it happen as an outsider and not something I'm invested in (Actually, that's a lie. I love real country music.... I have just given up on trying to fight the change that has come)

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/10/01/country-music-identity-crisis/

How country music went crazy: A comprehensive timeline of the genre's identity crisis
By Grady Smith on Oct 1, 2013 at 1:44PM @gradywsmith
zac-brown-jason-aldean.jpg

Image Credit: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic; Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Share on Tumblr
Comments 53

Are you aware that Nashville is currently embroiled in an outright civil war?

The country music genre has gone through quite a transformation in the past couple years, adopting the electric guitar sounds of nearly-defunct rock radio, the rap-infused cadences and AutoTune normally reserved for hip hop, and, most controversially, the pop elements left behind as that genre gravitated toward electronic dance music. And attitudes have become ever more contentious between traditional and modern-country fans in 2013. Lately, the frustrations have reached a boiling point.

The straw that broke the camel’s back arrived two weeks ago, when Zac Brown called Luke Bryan’s No. 1 single “That’s My Kind of Night” the “worst song I’ve ever heard.” That remark caused Jason Aldean to hop on Instagram and tell Brown, “trust me when I tell u that nobody gives a shit what u think.” The country community quickly took sides in the debate, and the resulting feud has catapulted country music’s identity crisis straight into the spotlight.

These days, pop-country is more popular than ever — but also more despised than ever. Stars like Brown, Alan Jackson, Kacey Musgraves, and Gary Allan have begun publicly expressing unhappiness with their format, which this year has become an increasingly homogenous platform for men (a few weeks ago, Carrie Underwood was the only solo female in the Top 20) singing about trucks and beers and girls and then more trucks.

GET MORE EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33¢ an issue!

Tensions have been brewing all year long (and really, much longer than that) — and there’s been no shortage of public feuding among the genre’s A-list. As country fights to figure out what it should look and sound like, its biggest stars are airing some very honest (and sometimes harsh) opinions. Here’s a timeline of country’s wild, crazy, and sometimes mud-slinging year:

January 23: Blake Shelton calls classic country fans “old farts” and “jackasses”
While speaking in a GAC special, The Voice coach angered thousands of elderly country fans when he remarked, “Nobody wants to listen to their grandpa’s music. And I don’t care how many of these old farts around Nashville going, ‘My God, that ain’t country!’ Well that’s because you don’t buy records anymore, jackass. The kids do, and they don’t want to buy the music you were buying.” The comment caused a controversy that endured for weeks and helped spark this year’s debate about traditional-country vs. pop-country.
tumblr_lzra85ej5d1rp44uwo1_500_zpsfb76f65e

January 24: In response, country legend Ray Price slams Blake Shelton on his Facebook
The veteran star later accepted Shelton’s apology, but not before he threw down the gauntlet.
Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 12.51.19 AM

January 29: Willie Nelson renames tour the “Old Farts and Jackasses Tour”
Perhaps the most underrated music-snark of 2013.

February 10: Zac Brown Band’s Uncaged wins Grammy for Best Country Album
Admittedly, the ZBB has never been the most old-school “country” group out there, but their albums have consistently featured classic Nashville storytelling and strong song craft. They’re industry faves, too. The fact that Zac Brown won a Grammy, but just seven months later became embroiled in a public feud (more on that in a bit) speaks to the passion country artists feel about the integrity of their genre. These aren’t C-listers getting into Twitter-feuds. These are giant arena-filling stars.

March 11: Jason Aldean’s “1994″ draws criticism for its dumbed-down lyrics
The track became a target for people claiming popular country songs were losing their intelligence. Billy Dukes of Taste of Country skewered the song, saying it “panders to the country audience that’s willing to scoop up anything they can relate to and chant, regardless of artistic integrity.”

March 26: Blake Shelton’s “Boys Round Here” draws criticism for its country-rap stylings
Shelton’s song may have hit No. 1, but it polarized listeners for many of the same reasons as “1994.” Saving Country Music‘s indie-championing blogger Trigger posted a full on rant about the song, saying: “Blake Shelton’s “Boys ‘Round Here” is songwriting by algorithm and analytics, fashioning together words and sounds known to have the widest impact on mainstream radio’s weak-of-mind demo. The “boys” in the title of “Boys ‘Round Here” is fitting, because this song is rank immaturity. It’s the audio equivalent of sneaking out of your mom’s house to smoke pot behind a Pizza Hut.”

March 19: Kacey Musgraves becomes the Katniss Everdeen of Nashville
The Nashville newcomer’s critically adored album Same Trailer Different Park, which was driven by the hit single “Merry Go Round,” quickly became a rallying point for country fans unhappy with the current direction of country music. And its commercial success — the disc debuted at No. 2 behind Justin TImberlake’s The 20/20 Experience — gave the industry hope that a woman could break through into the increasingly male-dominated market.

April 18: Scott Borchetta and Dr. Luke announce joint songwriting venture
Borchetta is Nashville’s ultimate tastemaker, and that’s because he’s always thought outside of the Nashville box. The announcement of this effort promised to further blur the lines between pop and country. Here’s how the partnership was explained by Billboard: “The goal for both teams is to keep an eye open for the other, sending writers to L.A. from Nashville and vice-versa to fit the needs of the two teams. Naturally, both sides see the current landscape in pop music as receptive to the merging of the two cultures, evidenced by Swift’s use of various non-Nashville experts to assist with her music on her latest Big Machine release ‘Red.’”

April 7: Luke Bryan wins Entertainer of the Year at ACM Awards
Like I said above with Zac Brown’s Grammy win, these artists are at peak popularity right now.

April 8: Brad Paisley’s “Accidental Racist” sets the internet on fire
If nothing else, Paisley’s controversial track (and really, the whole of his exploratory album Wheelhouse, which encouraged listeners to venture outside their “Southern Comfort Zone”) suggested that the stalwart star was bored with the current subjects covered in country.

May 10: Kacey Musgraves says she doesn’t like what country has turned into
“My voice is undeniably country, and I love country,” she told American Songwriter. “Do I love what it’s turned into? No, not all the way. It’s a little embarrassing when people outside of the genre ask what I sing and I say country. You automatically get a negative response, a cheese factor… My favorite compliment ever is when someone says, ‘I hate country music but I love your music.’”

June 5: Nelly closes the CMT Awards
Appearing alongside newcomers Florida Georgia Line, the rapper helped end the ceremony in the performance slot typically reserved for super-established country acts. Granted, “Cruise” was a truly massive hit, but country is a very tradition-minded genre, and it was surprising that Florida Georgia Line got to close the show — much less close it with the pop remix of their song featuring a rapper.

June 8: Lenny Kravtiz flicks off crowds at CMA Fest
Nelly wasn’t the only non-country star at the CMT Awards. Kravitz was there too, and a few days later the rocker appeared as a surprise guest at CMA Fest. But when the crowd proved uninterested in his non-country set (which ran longer than some scheduled performers), Kravitz got increasingly frustrated as he tried to win them over. In the end, he stomped off the stage, middle fingers raised in the air. The whole thing was rather painful to watch. Joseph Hudak of Country Weekly questioned CMA Fest’s intentions in hiring Kravitz in the first place:

“There is nothing discernible in his brand of music that makes it a natural fit for a country music festival. And the bewildered response of the crowd on Saturday night proved just that, especially during Lenny’s laborious set-ending rendition of 1989’s “Let Love Rule.”… In the end, it felt like a transparent attempt by our genre to gain a credibility it feels it is lacking. But why? Does country have a cool complex?… We’re happy to share some of its light and warmth with Lenny Kravitz and with whatever other pop, rock or rap artist who wants to come to the party, but, please, country music, don’t feel as if you need a rock star in order to be cool. You already are.”

June 11: Naomi Judd slams CMT Awards, says they disrespected George Jones
In a letter to The Tennessean, the veteran country star took CMT to task for its 26-second tribute to George Jones — and for incorporating many non-country acts (like Nelly and Lenny Kravitz) into the CMT Awards.

“George Jones is to country music what The Beatles are to pop, the Rolling Stones to rock, Elvis to rockabilly, Mozart to classical and Aretha to soul. Yet, the ‘Country’ Music Television awards show allowed only a “by the way” mention of Jones’ death and legacy. Incongruously, they chose alternative music group the Mavericks to perform their short version of George’s ‘The Race Is On.’ True country music fans are a loyal bunch and are passionate about our roots and heritage. Every year, CMT includes artists of unrelated genres, many of whom some country music fans don’t even know. I suggest the CMT Awards show change its name. Perhaps to ‘the Multi-Genre Awards Show, Featuring Artists under 30.’ I realize speaking out will cause me to now be forever banned by CMT. But I’m tired of folks messing with my country music. Especially when it involves my dear friend George Jones.”

July 3: Laura Bell Bundy signs with Big Machine to make pop-country
“She is a natural to lead the Country Dance Music movement that is starting to blow up and I’m confident we will find great success with her many talents,” said Scott Borchetta in a press release.

July 10: Montgomery Gentry releases musical travesty “Titty’s Beer”
The song wasn’t a hit (thank goodness), but it did give traditionalists sufficient ammunition to say that the genre was getting dumber by the day.

August 1: Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise” becomes longest-running country No. 1 ever
Due to changes in Billboard‘s chart rules, which now count airplay on pop radio (where the song’s Nelly-assisted remix thrived all summer) as well as country radio (where the song was a hit in 2012) on the Hot Country Songs chart, “Cruise” topped the list for 26 weeks, thus becoming the longest-running No. 1 country song of all time. Country blogger Windmills referred to the record as “meaningless” over at MJ’s Big Blog.

August 5: Tom Petty calls modern country “bad rock with a fiddle” in Rolling Stone

“Well, yeah I mean, I hate to generalize on a whole genre of music, but it does seem to be missing that magic element that it used to have. I’m sure there are people playing country that are doing it well, but they’re just not getting the attention that the shittier stuff gets… I don’t really see a George Jones or a Buck Owens or any anything that fresh coming up. I’m sure there must be somebody doing it, but most of that music reminds me of rock in the middle Eighties where it became incredibly generic and relied on videos.”

tumblr_mck36b508X1qjjwjzo1_500

August 11: New York Magazine‘s Jody Rosen coins the term “bro country”

“Cruise” is bro-country: music by and of the tatted, gym-toned, party-hearty young American white dude. It’s a movement that has been gathering steam for several years now, and we may look back on “Cruise” as a turning point, the moment when the balance of power tipped from an older generation of male country stars to the bros… Country has always been pop’s most mature genre… Bro-country breaks with that tradition. pay lip service to “little farm towns” and pickup trucks and such. But what they care about is getting drunk and laid. The titles tell the story: “Tip It Back,” “Dayum, Baby,” “Party People.”

August 17: Luke Bryan’s soon-to-be controversial “That’s My Kind of Night” hits the chart
The song completely typifies both the “bro country” and country-rap trends. It finds Bryan talking about the “diamond plate tailgate” of his “big black jacked-up truck” and bumping a mixtape featuring “a little Conway, a little T-Pain.”

August 19: Kacey Musgraves chides truck songs in British GQ
When asked what musical trend needs to die out immediately, Musgraves responded: “Anyone singing about trucks, in any form, in any song, anywhere. Literally just stop – nobody cares! It’s not fun to listen to.”

September 4: Alan Jackson tells the Baltimore Sun “there’s no country stuff left” on radio

“It’s not that I’m against all that’s out there. There’s some good music, good songwriting and good artists out there, but there’s really no country stuff left… It’s always been that constant pop-country battle. I don’t think it’s ever going to change… What makes me sad today is that I think the real country, real roots-y traditional stuff, may be gone. I don’t know if it’ll ever be back on mainstream radio. You can’t get it played anymore.”

September 10: Kacey Musgraves earns 6 CMA Award nominations
After just a few months in the mainstream consciousness, Musgraves tied Taylor Swift as the most-nominated artist of the year, clearly illustrating Nashville’s two schools of thought about the state of modern country.

September 12: Gary Allan says Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood are “pop artists“
When asked by Larry King about Swift and Underwood, the singer responded, “I would say they’re pop artists making a living in the country genre… You used to be able to turn on the radio and you knew instantly it was the country station just by listening to it, and now you’ve got to leave it there for a second to figure it out.”

The star later released a handwritten note to country radio to stay in programmers’ good graces…
c78f8ac7328915ed03256951f6d07c68

September 14: Zac Brown calls “That’s My Kind of Night” the “worst song I’ve ever heard”
The beanie-wearing strummer told a Canadian radio station that Luke Bryan’s single was the worst song ever. “I love Luke Bryan and he’s had some great songs, but this new song is the worst song I’ve ever heard,” Brown said. “Country fans and country listeners deserve to have something better than that, a song that really has something to say, something that makes you feel something. Good music makes you feel something. When songs make me wanna throw up, it makes me ashamed to even be in the same genre as those songs.” Listen at the 2:00 mark.

September 17: Jason Aldean tells Zac Brown “nobody gives a shit what u think” on Instagram
Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 2.24.51 PM

September 25: Jason Aldean says artists shouldn’t bash other artists
“There’s certain artists I really like what they do and certain artists I’m not that big of a fan,” he told The Province. “But I’m not publicly going to go out and trash ‘em. I know Zac, I don’t have anything against the guy, he’s always been cool to me, but I didn’t like that. And of course Luke’s one of my best friends and it rubbed me wrong. You don’t have to go out and say those things. I don’t agree with any artist bashing another artist.”

September 26: Scotty McCreery criticizes truck songs on new album
The American Idol winner’s new disc will include a song called “Something More,” which, according to MJ’s Big Blog, contains the lyric: “By now I think I’ve heard every line there is to hear about a truck.” When 20-year-olds start speaking out about the quality of “bro country” songs, then you know the backlash is brewing in earnest.

September 28: Sheryl Crow laments the lack of women on country radio
Though the singer, who’s making a transition into country with her latest record, told The Hollywood Reporter‘s Chris WIllman, “I can’t really be critical of the country format, because I’m the newbie there,” she did express frustration that country radio doesn’t support more women. “I’d just like to see more than three women get played at radio. And that’s not just because I’m a woman. I just feel like, gosh, there’s a huge population of record buyers are women. Why aren’t there women getting played at radio. Why aren’t there more female program directors? There’s, like, two! I don’t understand it. I’m a huge fan of Ashley Monroe; she’s got songs on that record I think are stupefying. There are a lot of great girls out there.”

What will be the result of all this fighting? I have no idea. But I have to believe that it will ultimately be good for country music. Readers, what’s your take?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Garth Brooks, Shania Twan, Dixie Chicks,Leann Rhimes, all lushered in t...
Oct 01st 2013
Dope post, thanks for that.
Oct 01st 2013
I'm cut inbetween,
Oct 01st 2013
good call on Alan Jackson because he was part of the new breed
Oct 02nd 2013
I think you missed the point
Oct 02nd 2013
naw they thrived in the modern Nashville, old school nashville
Oct 02nd 2013
      your first three posts in this thread are literally gibberish...
Oct 04th 2013
Emmylou at least was never 'pop' in the way that the subject
Oct 02nd 2013
      and i should have also said Crystal Gayle
Oct 02nd 2013
for a while, i was working with ppl that listened to country music.
Oct 02nd 2013
good post nm
Oct 02nd 2013
Seems like every major genre is dealing with this
Oct 02nd 2013
^this
Oct 02nd 2013
Read this last night...
Oct 02nd 2013
It's sad how it turned into "Pop Music" minus the R&B influence
Oct 02nd 2013
RE: It's sad how it turned into "Pop Music" minus the R&B influence
Oct 02nd 2013
      Welp thee "Appropriator" still works
Oct 02nd 2013
Dammit....
Oct 02nd 2013
Haha, Willie Nelson a fool...
Oct 02nd 2013
good timeline, puts a lot of stuff I've noticed into perspective
Oct 02nd 2013
whats wrong w/ music for young white guys to listen to?
Oct 02nd 2013
I'll tell you my only concern with this Bro movement in country.
Oct 03rd 2013
To tell you the truth.....
Oct 02nd 2013
Bwahahahaahaha
Oct 02nd 2013
good lord this is hilarious.
Oct 02nd 2013
damn. i'm still trying to figure out if this is a joke or not...
Oct 02nd 2013
i like that joint..
Oct 02nd 2013
RE: How Country Music Went Crazy (swipe) (I think it's a must read)
Oct 02nd 2013
RE: This is what I was going to say:
Oct 03rd 2013
      RE: This is what I was going to say:
Oct 04th 2013
           hey, I don't have a beard!
Oct 04th 2013
Part of me is like "they are just being resistant to change and...
Oct 03rd 2013
theres no racism...
Oct 04th 2013
you really DO believe that everything is about race.
Oct 04th 2013
      I don't think everything is about race, I think race...
Oct 04th 2013
just here to say Kacey Musgraves = Album of the Year to me
Oct 03rd 2013
just a quick note to say that country rap is nothing new
Oct 04th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 11:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Garth Brooks, Shania Twan, Dixie Chicks,Leann Rhimes, all lushered in t..."
In response to Reply # 0

era, as if Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton weren't crossed over way back when?

throw Emilou Harris, Eddie Rabbit, Mac Davis in that bag as well.

Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and others are just eating off that cross over as is Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban.

however country still plays live and you can add a Sheryl Crow and it fits.

Country ain't lost nothing, just made it self a bit inclusive,however not fully/

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 11:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Dope post, thanks for that. "
In response to Reply # 1

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

CaptNish
14495 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 11:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm cut inbetween,"
In response to Reply # 1

Because I agree. I would actually nail the pop movement (musically... not the crossover aspect) to Mutt Lange and Shania Twain. Yes, those others played their part and crossed over, but Mutt (through Shania) exposed an untapped market which is essentially "pop songs with cowboy boots." Mutt started the train of old hair metal song writers making their way to Nashville. And then from that, we've now crossed into the Carrie Underwood Am Idol influence. I'm not a "THIS AIN'T COUNTRY!" folk.... but I have noticed that country fans are not actually country fans anymore, but more those "bro country" types who are just white people who like trucks and drinking. Actually.... I think Alan Jackson is culpable as well with "5 O'Clock Somewhere."

And then Taylor hit. At least she's stopped pretending to be country....

It's just interesting to me that the old "I lost my wife, my job and my dog died" has been replaced by false nostalgia, trucks and "I like beer!" It's just weird that I didn't noticed there was a this much of a divide in the fandom.

_

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 12:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "good call on Alan Jackson because he was part of the new breed"
In response to Reply # 3

as well as VInce Gill who i use to dig, Marty stuart, Dwight Yokam.

the cat to me who truly blurred things was Randy Travis. because on one hand they wanted him to be a throwback and on the other he crossed over a bit.

country Music wanted that Toby keith and what Tim Mcgraw does.

you also had a cat like Neil Mccoy on a catchy tip for a minute.

good call on Shania and Mutt. basically the Def Leopard "Pour some sugar on me" became the signature of the modern country.

and you get Lionel Richie who was actually very much country riding in and a Darius Rucker playing that game.

Idol knows what sells and it helps out Kelly Clarkson as well.

its Manipulated enough to get their. a Cat like Willie Nelson mixed it up as did Ray Charles, however they did it for real, however that blueprint been used.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:28 AM

8. "I think you missed the point"
In response to Reply # 1

Its about the simplistic songwriting

and the people youve listed have gained fame with deep engaging songs

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:21 AM

15. "naw they thrived in the modern Nashville, old school nashville"
In response to Reply # 8

wouldn't have tolerated it. Barbara Mandrill and Reba Mcentyre straddle the fench just enough to dip into both and yet keep their "country Hood Pass"

George Jones dissed modern country on record and in interviews.

Lunchb0x
Member since Jan 28th 2012
64 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 07:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "your first three posts in this thread are literally gibberish..."
In response to Reply # 15

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:27 AM

17. "Emmylou at least was never 'pop' in the way that the subject "
In response to Reply # 1

of the article tackles... she had crossover appeal but it was as much attitude as it was choice of material and arrangement.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:55 PM

25. "and i should have also said Crystal Gayle"
In response to Reply # 17

Mickey Gilley though had a chance to truly blur those lines with the whole "Urban Cowboy"" era and soundtrack

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 12:29 AM

4. "for a while, i was working with ppl that listened to country music. "
In response to Reply # 0

it seemed to have that thing i used to love about pop music.
hooks. melodies. stories.

i'm sure that stuff is still in pop music,
but country artists nowadays are making music that sounds
more like the pop music i used to like when i was young.

which, i suppose, is the entire "problem."

i'm still not a fan of the genre,
but i liked the stuff i heard.
(couldn't tell you the names of the artists i was listening to for that month,
but it was the radio... you learn all the songs within rotation in a week.)

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 04:49 AM

6. "good post nm"
In response to Reply # 0

does it even matter?

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 05:18 AM

7. "Seems like every major genre is dealing with this"
In response to Reply # 0

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:31 AM

9. "^this "
In response to Reply # 7

>

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:40 AM

10. "Read this last night..."
In response to Reply # 0

Of course the 1st thing that came to mind for me is the analogy to hip-hop.

But I'd like to see this type of breakdown for even more genres and maybe even other artforms.

I enjoy seeing the Great Big Art v. Commerce Debate played out in areas that I'm not completely up on.

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:42 AM

11. "It's sad how it turned into "Pop Music" minus the R&B influence"
In response to Reply # 0

and that the lack of Black is the secret attraction.

Country has always been a self segregated genre (with few exceptions), but it became a gated community in the last 15 years.

s.blak
No Surprises

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:06 AM

13. "RE: It's sad how it turned into "Pop Music" minus the R&B influence"
In response to Reply # 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:28 AM

18. "Welp thee "Appropriator" still works"
In response to Reply # 13

But this would NEVER crossover onto the R&B charts.

There isn't much difference between easy listening country & quiet storm musically or stylistically...except a few extra pounds of melisma...but that ain't in the same neighborhood either.

s.blak
Good To See Black People Have SOME Use In Young Country

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:55 AM

12. "Dammit...."
In response to Reply # 0

Makes me kinda mad that I didn't write this....

This is very informative......Good shit...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:13 AM

14. "Haha, Willie Nelson a fool..."
In response to Reply # 0

>January 29: Willie Nelson renames tour the “Old Farts and Jackasses Tour”
>Perhaps the most underrated music-snark of 2013.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:25 AM

16. "good timeline, puts a lot of stuff I've noticed into perspective"
In response to Reply # 0

that I'd never really put together before. I guess because I'm the type of classic country fan who's really a fan of old sounds rather than someone who considers himself a country fan, and a lot of the 'country' I listen to is made by people like me. And we didn't really like the pop country of the 80s or 90s either, and a good bit of the 70s is questionable as well even if we've got the Rhinestone Cowboy LP.

One thing I think worth noting is that the overemphasis on the trucks. dog, wife trinity is BS, because that's the same shit that made a lot of classic country great. But what I changing is the materialism creep that's come with the pop influence, at least to my perspective.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 01:19 PM

19. "whats wrong w/ music for young white guys to listen to?"
In response to Reply # 0

they act like young white guys should be concerned w/ being working class & their cheating wife or something

now. they are 25. shit aint like it was in the 70s where at 25 you was married, had a mortgage & 2 kids.

these guys wanna drink, smoke, chase hoes & cruise the streets in their cars. which literally Every other group of young men for ever has wanted to do. let em live

does it even matter?

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 01:35 AM

27. "I'll tell you my only concern with this Bro movement in country."
In response to Reply # 19

I went to a country festival in June sponsored by the lead country station in town. Brad Paisley (arguably one of the most popular contemporary country artists around now) was the closing act. He was singing one of his hit songs, and dropped out to let the crowd sing it, and they didn't know the words. So he had to calmly take the mic again.

I don't think this set of country fans likes the music as much as they like the idea of "I'm country. I drink and drive a truck." I'm not trying to marginalize the fan base, but that is literally what they are all about.They don't care about the music as much as they care about the scene/tailgaate.

_

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 07:10 PM

20. "To tell you the truth....."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-02-13 07:13 PM by murph71

When some people complained about Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and to a lesser extent Garth Brooks (He still gave you some oldschool honky tonk country on joints like "Friends In Low Places"...so he got a pass for the most part)that was mainly because that country sound was shiny and aimed for the pop charts with no shame...But the "country" was still there if you listened hard enough....

But this shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYt9jl3HrU

This is why people in Nashville are up in arms..Beyond the silly songwriting, this shit sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit...This Luke Bryan dude is on some "fuck Nashville"...lol

This dude makes Taylor Swift sound like Loretta Lynn....Do you know how hard it is to pull off some shit like that?

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 08:02 PM

21. "Bwahahahaahaha"
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Oct-02-13 08:04 PM by Ashley Ayers

This dude said he rolling on 35's bumpin his Country Hip Hop mixtape
listening to Conway and T-Pain making it rain. This shit is hilarious.

Damn, didn't expect that.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 09:02 PM

22. "good lord this is hilarious."

i know mad white people on that country rap tape shit though. but this is just comically bad. it works though. dude got the biggest country album for a dude in a while.

<--- Big Baller World Order

DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 10:52 PM

24. "damn. i'm still trying to figure out if this is a joke or not..."

this is the first time i've checked in on "modern" country in a while and wow, this isn't just garbage, it's a whole new category of terrible... anyone know what this dude's target demographic is?? (not a rhetorical question)...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 11:02 PM

26. "i like that joint.."

i was grooving and cracking up to that cut. reminds me of Cledus T Judd type of tracks

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 09:53 PM

23. "RE: How Country Music Went Crazy (swipe) (I think it's a must read)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-02-13 09:53 PM by ajiav

At least some of the increased interest in the Mumford & Sons type stuff may be related to this as well - I know a lot of the audience is young people well outside the normal audience for country, but I also see that it can appeal strongly to people in the country base - thinking of my younger half-sis from OK who (along w/ friends) is clearly a big fan. Anecdotal, so not good for generalizing, but I see some of that. Some overlap between what might have at one time been more disparate groups.

I also feel like it's kind of hard to be completely "rural" anymore, either, the kind of culture that contributed to country music in the first place. There are poor people in less-densely populated areas, but they aren't culturally isolated in the same way so that the musical blending isn't a self-conscious thing as much as what young people in areas like mine are often like - grew up exposed to as much mainstream music as country, so that their music often sounds like that: pop but w/ some of the traditional conservative tropes mixed in.

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 04:09 PM

29. "RE: This is what I was going to say:"
In response to Reply # 23

>
>I also feel like it's kind of hard to be completely "rural"
>anymore, either, the kind of culture that contributed to
>country music in the first place.

It's so far removed its roots. I mean, every genre is right now, but country seems to be the most lost.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"doctor who nursery rhyme." http://bit.ly/18oC1gH
"1.5.2.0" http://bit.ly/18UMv7A
"with henry james." http://bit.ly/1cIpnM6
"for vini." http://bit.ly/19HQbtF
"one year later." http://bit.ly/1eQNPwI

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 08:19 AM

33. "RE: This is what I was going to say:"
In response to Reply # 29

And I'd say the young-people's music that is the most "rootsy" in terms of hearkening back to older styles also tends to be the most self-conscious, evident in styles of dress and facial hair. The trend in country music was to slowly and steadily become more modern, even as each generation did something that the previous saw as against the spirit - drum kits, or amplified instruments. Young people with no connection to a country life suddenly donning washboards, big bellies, and edward scissorhands-sculpted beards is more calculated to me than the modern country crossover stuff.

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 09:50 AM

36. "hey, I don't have a beard!"
In response to Reply # 33
Fri Oct-04-13 09:50 AM by lonesome_d

washboards and a big belly, though

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 03:54 PM

28. "Part of me is like "they are just being resistant to change and..."
In response to Reply # 0

there is something slightly racist about all this emphasis on tradition and hating the rap influence".

On the other hand, this hip-hop influence bro music is awful. All these songs just sound like unrated beer commercials.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Lunchb0x
Member since Jan 28th 2012
64 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 07:11 AM

31. "theres no racism..."
In response to Reply # 28

...it's just terrible music,plain and simple and Nashville is trying to force it.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 08:34 AM

34. "you really DO believe that everything is about race."
In response to Reply # 28

damn.

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49406 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 08:44 AM

35. "I don't think everything is about race, I think race..."
In response to Reply # 34
Fri Oct-04-13 08:45 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

influences everything. Subtle but important difference.

You can think people reacting negatively to Lenny Kravitz and Nelly performing at CMA events has nothing to do at all with race, I doubt it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

soulsike
Member since Jul 20th 2002
2562 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 07:58 PM

30. "just here to say Kacey Musgraves = Album of the Year to me"
In response to Reply # 0

and i'm the "i hate country music but love her" guy she quoted lol

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 09:59 AM

37. "just a quick note to say that country rap is nothing new"
In response to Reply # 0

Chris Bouchillon, 1926: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPrnbGm7jas

Hank Williams, 1950 or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh378oyTQWQ

etc.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct