Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2843558

Subject: "Opinion: Do inspired musicians listen to a lot of music?" Previous topic | Next topic
Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Sep-25-13 11:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Opinion: Do inspired musicians listen to a lot of music?"

It struck me recently that probably a lot of the people whose music we listen to and revere was, most likely, born out of very repetitive listening habits on the part of the creator, if they even really listen to music outside of their own.

Do you think this is the case?

Or are musicians constantly listening to other people's music as they create their own?

Poll result (12 votes)
Yes. (10 votes)Vote
No. (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I say no for three reasons:
Sep 25th 2013
rebuttal:
Sep 26th 2013
      Yeah, I read this numerous times:
Sep 26th 2013
if you are trying to get a record deal, then you listen to top 40 perio...
Sep 25th 2013
I agree. The SECOND Pet Sounds hit England The Beatles
Sep 26th 2013
its a back and forth
Sep 26th 2013
To become a great musician you have to study your craft.
Sep 26th 2013
In general I'd say they HAVE listened to a lot of music
Sep 26th 2013
Yes & No
Sep 26th 2013
I got a friend who doesn't, and it makes for odd results.
Sep 26th 2013
I think it could be safely argued that most musicians start out as fans....
Sep 26th 2013
seems like a lot of artists talk about what they listen to
Sep 26th 2013
RE: Opinion: Do inspired musicians listen to a lot of music?
Sep 26th 2013

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Sep-25-13 11:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: I say no for three reasons:"
In response to Reply # 0

1) The musician is inspired by something. They want to go back to this for reference.

2) Usually, when you create something, you are proud of it. This means you will probably want to hear it, criticize it and analyze ways to make it better. You can only do this by listening to it.

3) If you are actively writing songs, you really don't have time to play a lot of records and just sit with them.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"doctor who nursery rhyme." http://bit.ly/18oC1gH
"jacques." http://bit.ly/17V33fa
"with henry james." http://bit.ly/1cIpnM6
"wind." http://bit.ly/180r30E
"one year later." http://bit.ly/1eQNPwI

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 07:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "rebuttal:"
In response to Reply # 1

>1) The musician is inspired by something. They want to go
>back to this for reference.

What if what they are inspired by is--as often is the case--the work of their peers? Or are you using "inspiration" in the mystical sense of some anointing from heaven?

>2) Usually, when you create something, you are proud of it.
>This means you will probably want to hear it, criticize it and
>analyze ways to make it better. You can only do this by
>listening to it.

Nah. In my experience, most artists create and then move on from that moment. A lot of folks actually can't stand to listen to their own stuff too much. I know I can't... because I analyze it and criticize it to the point of self-immolation and eventual paralysis.

>3) If you are actively writing songs, you really don't have
>time to play a lot of records and just sit with them.

NOBODY is writing songs 24/7/365. And NOBODY lives in a vacuum. Particularly not professional, commercial musicians.

The process of creating can be so intense that one ends up depleting all one's creative oxygen, and you gotta open up a window to let some fresh air in from outside so you're not endlessly recycling your own carbon dioxide.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 06:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Yeah, I read this numerous times:"
In response to Reply # 3

>Nah. In my experience, most artists create and then move on
>from that moment. A lot of folks actually can't stand to
>listen to their own stuff too much.

It's worth pointing out that between a song is written and released, there is *generally* lots of work done in the studio with numerous takes etc. Then it's the mixing which can take days or even months. Then it's about the master and co-signing its release (of course, not all artists have this luxury; I guess I'm referring more to self-containded acts here).

And of course, there is the live-situation where the act may spend a while rehearsing a good chunk of the recent album in order to make it sound good (actually, if it's a band, that often happened long before the recording) only to play the same fucking songs night after night.

It's VERY natural to not listen to your own material if you put all those things into consideration. In fact, artists who sit around listening to themselves *after* they had finished the record are somewhat suspect to me; I read somewhere that Prince do that; it explains a lot (and no, I don't want to turn this to another Prince-post; still, for better or worse, I do think the idea of Prince actually listening to himself because there's nothing else around somewhat disturbing not to mention telling regarding his music in the past 25 years)...

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Sep-25-13 11:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "if you are trying to get a record deal, then you listen to top 40 perio..."
In response to Reply # 0

bottom line you know who is hot and happening and you know who is fading out.

you name the genre and I will tell you they know who is hot and happening.

Miles Davis knew who was smoking as a trumpet player, who he needed to watch and who was a jive turkey and who needed a hit.

cats know and watch and read Billboard.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 08:55 AM

6. "I agree. The SECOND Pet Sounds hit England The Beatles"
In response to Reply # 2

was at the manager's hotel room asking to hear it. The listened to it, then begged him to play it again. They heard it then left. If I could remember some months later they finished Revolver.

I think the same happens with alot of those top artists, Mike Jackson, Stevie used to listen to records and ask to be introduced to the musicians that had those keyboards, your Miles Davis example is a prime one.

Some people create in a vacuum (like Brian Wilson) but most absorb from the environment.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 07:51 AM

4. "its a back and forth"
In response to Reply # 0

self isolation is an important thing in seeing through the creative muse, but they *must* come up for air to put it all into context.

vladislav delay is an interesting counter example though. some truly inspired work and he spends the majority of his time in complete isolation. but even in that case he does a tour and gets a feel for whats going on around then back into his isolated bubble.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 08:12 AM

5. "To become a great musician you have to study your craft."
In response to Reply # 0

And that doesn't stop at any point, it's a continual process. Part of studying your craft is listening to other music. Whether it is your peers, music from the past, music from other genres, whatever it is.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 10:24 AM

7. "In general I'd say they HAVE listened to a lot of music"
In response to Reply # 0

whether or not they're listening to music as they write their next masterpiece may differ from person to person.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 01:57 PM

8. "Yes & No"
In response to Reply # 0

When they're still young at making tunes and trying to get on, they're listening to tons of music (old & new) but once they get signed, get production work, etc. they listen to less and less.

Some get to the point where they don't listen to anything but the radio and their own music or music of the people they're working with/for; I hope I never get that jaded, I love listening to new music.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 02:17 PM

9. "I got a friend who doesn't, and it makes for odd results."
In response to Reply # 0

Personally I don't see how you don't listen to music and still make it. If you don't listen to the music in your genre so you don't bite....I get that, but if you haven't heard much of any music where will the music go?

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 06:26 PM

10. "I think it could be safely argued that most musicians start out as fans...."
In response to Reply # 0

...if you think about it, isn't that why you start making music in the first place? Because it's something you love!

That being said, I also don't think *most* musicians are particularly different from music-fans in general meaning that they are the most passionate listeners in their teens and maybe let it hang on until the twenties but after that they just go back to the old favorites they heard back in the day while buying/downloading/listening to just a few new (new here meaning everything from current shit to old stuff that's new to them) albums every year.

Othersie, I don't think there's a rule as a whole; you have people like Miles Davis who were consistently checking out new shit; on the other hand, you have someone like Keith Richards who just go on year after year about the fucking Robert Johnson-record he heard in '61 and Chuck Berry and Stax.

Also, there's the musicians that claim that they never listen to anything within their genre so as to remain "independent" while going on about classical and jazz while playing three-chord rock or a particular brand of pretentious assholes who claim they don't listen to ANY other music in order to keep their creative process "Pure" and instead get their influence from movies or stand-up comedians or the birds, trees and ants...

Basically, I don't think there is a rule of thumb here; it's ERY individual.

Some I personally remember as standing out:

Robert Plant back in the 80's when he said he listened to Husker Du and Butthole Surfers. Can you imagine Eric Clapton in that era listening to Husker Du? He seemed to have lost his interest in cutting-edge *new* music by the 90's but it was fun to read an interview with him from 98 when he was talking about some dude sending him rehearsal tapes from the 60's of Love and Skip Spence. Basically, he was *still* a collector/fan/dork, even while being a multi-millionaire rock-icon; I'm not *that* much of a Zeppelin-fan but shit made me happy...

An interview with Brian Wilson where he just went on and on about hearing Ronettes "Be my baby" for the first time. Actually, he has done that in several interviews. I suspect music was "frozen" to him then; that was his goal-to outdo "Be my baby". Sure, he may have been in competition with the Beatles etc. but a part of me suspect he was *still* trying to outdo "Be my baby" years later. Actually, that may explain why Beach Boys sounded so terribly out of date by 67-...-he was still trying to beat Spector; that Hendrix or Cream or Creedence or (insert name) was ruling the rock-landscape didn't phase him even when Beach Boys dropped out of sight commercially. Maybe a bit of a stretch but *I* like to think of it like that

When thrash-metal legend gary Holt (Exodus, now in Slayer as Hanneman's (RIP!) replacement) said that he collected 80's Prince-bootlegs and loved Madonna (only 80's there too; he hated her later stuff)in the same era *and* said they inspired him (*how*?) in a swedish metal-magazine. Generally, when metal-musicians in this segment of the mag are asked what outside stuff that inspire them, it's ALWAYS NIN/Pink Floyd/prog/Dead Can Dance (seriously, I suspect most of this bands fanbase are metal-musicians after reading this shit every issue)/Massive Attack/Muse/ (insert anything "dark" and/or "weird"/proggy) so when he said he dug Prince, shit made me SO happy, I don't know why; I guess I was just waiting for a metal-legend (post-70's; the older guys are more open-minded obviously) to NOT be predictable and "evil"/dark/whatever...

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 08:28 PM

12. "seems like a lot of artists talk about what they listen to"
In response to Reply # 0

see the father of this site

what i find interesting is artists talk a lot about music outside of their "genre"
that they like

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu Sep-26-13 08:33 PM

13. "RE: Opinion: Do inspired musicians listen to a lot of music?"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince covered a lot of artists during his career so yes, he was inspired.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2843558 Previous topic | Next topic