Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2838982

Subject: "What does Questlove think about Elmatic?" Previous topic | Next topic
FilthyMcNasty
Member since Feb 12th 2008
329 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
"What does Questlove think about Elmatic?"

Because of the live instrumentation on the album, and the fact he's usually opinionated about these types of things, I would think he would have had something to say about this album. Honestly, I didn't see many "heads" respond to Elzhi's album. It did seem to be well received by the fans, and I know DJ Premier gave Will Sessions some respect for the beats in this video.
http://youtu.be/KYNptz4gm28
I'm wondering what quest had to say about this project, mainly about the live instrumentation.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought it was great.
Sep 07th 2013
I agree
Sep 07th 2013
It was perfectly executed, lyrically and musically imo
Sep 07th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
this album was dope as shit
Sep 08th 2013
that album was...and still is refreshingly dope.
Sep 08th 2013
where do people stand on this?
Mar 22nd 2018
Yeah, I'd like to hear his take too.
Mar 22nd 2018
Sessions did a great job remaking the beats live.
Mar 22nd 2018
I know Elzhi had some issues with depression a while back
Mar 22nd 2018
      Word yea I know about that (mostly cause of the tone and content ...
Mar 22nd 2018
           Agree
Mar 23rd 2018

Tycredo
Member since Oct 06th 2012
366 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thought it was great."
In response to Reply # 0

The potential for it to be really lame was high (just trying to tackle a classic) and I think they executed it pretty damn well.

FilthyMcNasty
Member since Feb 12th 2008
329 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
2. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm surprised quest hasn't talked about this, or even talked about Will Sessions in general. Their Mixtakes was awesome too.

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "It was perfectly executed, lyrically and musically imo"
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 02:02 PM

4. "..."
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 02:09 PM

5. "this album was dope as shit"
In response to Reply # 0

and is (kind of awkwardly) Elzhi's best work to date

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 09:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "that album was...and still is refreshingly dope."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 04:57 PM

7. "where do people stand on this?"
In response to Reply # 0

i still think it is so awesome.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 05:39 PM

8. "Yeah, I'd like to hear his take too."
In response to Reply # 0

Granted The Roots have literally made a career of translating traditional hip-hop production techniques into live recordings so he would have a great perspective on the project. Things that Will did well and ways the project could have been better.

Personally, I love that record. The instrumentals are available on Spotify so I'll pull those out every so often and gave them quite a bit of run over a couple of months.

The only work of Elzhi's I knew of was his verse on Little Brother's Hiding Place and I liked that verse so I was interested to hear the project. Elzhi spit flames throughout. I can't really think of a bad verse although obviously there are songs I like more than others.

I think the concept of doing a remake of the album could have went really bad but I think he managed to reinterpret the lyrical content enough to make a statement on his own apart from Nas' original songs.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 08:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Sessions did a great job remaking the beats live."
In response to Reply # 0

They sound hard and fresh. I specifically loved the "It Ain't Hard to Tell" remake. That shit comes alive everytime I hear it.

And Elzhi, as always, spit his ass off and flowed his ass off, all over that album.

I just wished he hadn't wasted so many years surrounding the album, if that makes sense. Like it was a damn cool pet project and I'm glad it happened, I really enjoy it to this day ... but it was sorta gimmicky and therefore we almost literally went 8 full years between actual, original Elzhi solo projects. And that's a shame.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 08:26 PM

10. "I know Elzhi had some issues with depression a while back"
In response to Reply # 9

That might have been a good reason for the delay between albums. But he could release more music and definitely satisfy his audience.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 08:32 PM

11. "Word yea I know about that (mostly cause of the tone and content ..."
In response to Reply # 10

... of Lead Poison) so I don't begrudge him taking some time to get his mind right and get healthy. Wasn't really criticizing him. I guess my point was just that, for example, I wish Elmatic was a mixtape, a lead up to a proper album dropped one after the other in quick succession. That way we wouldn't have had such a gap between proper Elzhi solo albums.

>That might have been a good reason for the delay between
>albums. But he could release more music and definitely satisfy
>his audience.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 02:09 AM

12. "Agree"
In response to Reply # 11

Lobby The Lesson topic #2838982 Previous topic | Next topic