Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2838458

Subject: "Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 08:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?"
Thu Sep-05-13 08:50 AM by Tony Hanes

I'm a huge Big L fan let me first say. I use to listen to his debut LP in college often and loved "Street Struck" to death. At the same time, his murder made some fans overrate his hip hop status. (like all MC's b/c nobody said Biggie, Tupac & Big Pun were the best MC's of all time when they were alive. At least, not around my way.) Anyway, when I watch youtube videos of Big L, interviews or an article on a Hip Hop site fans often say he is a Top 10 MC and that is crazy to me. He could rap. He had skills and could have been a star but was killed early.

1. What are your thoughts on Big L as an overall MC?
2. What are your thoughts on his 2 albums?
3. Would he have blown up in your eyes?

**Random Big L comment

I mean, he has no ranking to me as I don't know where to place him but I was a fan.

Peace

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?
Sep 05th 2013
Because he could have made Jay-Z irrelevant
Sep 05th 2013
He was tryin to get down wiht Jay-z but he was going to make him
Sep 05th 2013
Hyperbolic fam, I'm just explaining the rationale
Sep 05th 2013
      oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie
Sep 05th 2013
           RE: oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie
Sep 05th 2013
                RE: oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie
Sep 05th 2013
                     Never forget the Diddy factor re: Biggie
Sep 05th 2013
I think he would have become a mixtape- or dipset-type rapper had he liv...
Sep 05th 2013
He's good but death made him bigger than he actually was
Sep 05th 2013
not in my top 10 personally
Sep 05th 2013
I'm makin wonderful figgas
Sep 05th 2013
RE: Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?
Sep 05th 2013
around my way, 'pac and biggie were always in the all time lists
Sep 05th 2013
He's no where near overrated on the mic....a phenomenon emcee
Sep 05th 2013
I'll Admit His "Now" Biggest Fans Do Overrate Big L. But I'm Not Mad
Sep 05th 2013

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 11:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?"
In response to Reply # 0

my ex man hipped me to him, he's cool, i liked tha tonsg ebonics>
>1. What are your thoughts on Big L as an overall MC? I think he has good lyrical content and he keeps it real hood.
>2. What are your thoughts on his 2 albums? I havent heard all his songs
>3. Would he have blown up in your eyes?
hell yeah, i know maaad people that feel him

CHECK OUT AND DOWNLOAD MY FREE BEATS @ WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/SYLANA
~i dont deal with colors letters or any morse codes or beams~
"and suddenly the ghetto didnt seem so tough u thought u had it rough we always had enough"~tupac

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 11:56 AM

2. "Because he could have made Jay-Z irrelevant"
In response to Reply # 0

There's no question he's overrated because in his life all he really gave us was potential. For the time though as an MC his potential was greater than Jay-Z's. That's not to say he would have gone to Jay-Z status but it's that type of projection that leads to people ranking him so high.

>1. What are your thoughts on Big L as an overall MC?

He was authentic and I don't mean that about his ties to the street, but as an MC. He gave you him on the mic unabashedly so, and with a skill for the words that was unlike many in the game.

>2. What are your thoughts on his 2 albums?

Great display's of lyricism, some decent production but not the greatest songs.

He could have but it's hard to think about in hindsight now because the stage was set so much differently then. If he had joined Rocafella pretty much the whole state of hip-hop could have shifted and its impossible to know how that would have worked out.

>**Random Big L comment

It's highly likely he was one of many at a b-ball game turned street brawl at my jhs. It's always crazy for me to think that what killed him at the end of the day was tied to the same dumb shit we were all doing in jhs.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 12:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "He was tryin to get down wiht Jay-z but he was going to make him"
In response to Reply # 2

irrevlant? really now? Vol 2 drop in 98..Big L died in 99.

He more than likely could have got to Camron/Beanie Sigel level tho if he got down with the Roc.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 12:05 PM

5. "Hyperbolic fam, I'm just explaining the rationale"
In response to Reply # 4

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 03:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie"
In response to Reply # 5

had the same beat and see what Biggie did with it and what Big L did with it.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Birdzeye
Member since Feb 29th 2008
433 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 03:17 PM

8. "RE: oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie"
In response to Reply # 7

What beat/ songs were these?

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 03:34 PM

11. "RE: oh okay yea you see the difference when BIG L and Biggie"
In response to Reply # 8

>What beat/ songs were these?

Big L's MVP and Biggie's One More Chance Remix used the same sample. I think that's what he's referring to.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

MajrLeaguer
Charter member
806 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 04:10 PM

12. "Never forget the Diddy factor re: Biggie"
In response to Reply # 11

I always saw L as a artist who could have used the filter/ guidance of a Diddy b/w his influence from DITC to be an MC of Biggie's pedigree on wax. His raw talent was off the meter. The major difference between BIG & Big L was Diddy. He helped coach Biggie on how to make radio/ club/ dance-friendly hiphop w/ a street edge. Big never really had that. Virtually every East Coast MC post-BIG reached for that formula if they wished to crossover w/ no shame. L kept it really grimey for the most part and a lot of his stuff sounded like demo/mixtape material.

Twitter.com/djRBI
Instagram.com/DJ_RBI

"I'm That Guy", Mike G (J Beez)

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 03:24 PM

10. "I think he would have become a mixtape- or dipset-type rapper had he liv..."
In response to Reply # 2

I heard rumors that Jay was about to sign him due to the relative success of the "Ebonics"-single which was something of a comeback since he had mostly been on DITC-songs after he got dropped. However, due to his style of rapping, subject-matter etc., I don't think he would have made it Jay-Z big. He could easily have had a Camron-type career though IMO (and yes, I know they were in a group together); I think that entire generation of mc's owe a lot to Big L but while you got some cool punchlines, flows and songs out of them, I don't think they were major* rap-artists and I suspect that's how L would have ended up too.

I'm a fan though and I love his flow with the syllable-thing and his often sick lyrics. And I never thought the beats on his debut were bad at all (quite dated at the time though but I've heard it was delayed for a year due to Columbia focusing on Nas in '94 and putting L on the backburner)-quite the opposite but I LOvE the DITC-beats in that era so I'm not the most unbiased; a song like "No endz, no skinz" sounded downright jurassic in 95.

*major here not meaning commercially successful but more "artistically" successful if that makes sense-he wasn't that type of guy honestly, more an X-rated, less corny Lord Finesse or something

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 11:59 AM

3. "He's good but death made him bigger than he actually was"
In response to Reply # 0

kinda reminds me of the infatuation with Dilla after his death. cats who never messed with him started calling him an all-time great but when I was play Lifestylez Ov nobody was listening. He's in my top 50. probably in the 31-40 range somewhere.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 02:24 PM

6. "not in my top 10 personally "
In response to Reply # 0

but if you call yourself a hip hop fan

and you don't know at least one or two Big L verses

I don't take you seriously

Ralo13
Member since May 29th 2007
5657 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 03:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I'm makin wonderful figgas"
In response to Reply # 0

"A Slew Of Empty Gas In My Tank" (C) Khujo Goodie

http://i.imgur.com/gFXu2he.jpg

http://bit.ly/1r3dl53

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 05:46 PM

13. "RE: Why do some fans put Big L in their Top 10 All Time?"
In response to Reply # 0

>1. What are your thoughts on Big L as an overall MC?
Dope as hell
>2. What are your thoughts on his 2 albums?
First one was very dope. Second one was cool but doesn't really compare to the first
Maybe, I'm not sure really, the only person who did blow up from DITC was Fat Joe and he had to sell out to do that

Random comment: he is not a top 10 MC. Just isn't. Died too early and his first album, despite the fact that I love it is easily equaled in quality by other albums released during the 90s

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 08:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "around my way, 'pac and biggie were always in the all time lists"
In response to Reply # 0

before and after death

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:21 PM

15. "He's no where near overrated on the mic....a phenomenon emcee"
In response to Reply # 0

all the props and praises he gets are well earned

I think because he didn't have too many dance/radio songs is why
some underrated him

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 10:03 PM

16. "I'll Admit His "Now" Biggest Fans Do Overrate Big L. But I'm Not Mad"
In response to Reply # 0

I was one of those kats who was following Big L. from the early days when he was dropping verses here & there on various DITC related jams, my cousin turned me on to "Devil's Son" 12inch which was still easy to find in the used vinyl bin for a few dollars.

Anyway I was already a big DITC fan so when anybody from that crew or affiliated surfaced on something I copped, but you all have to admit that before Big L. was officially a member Lord Finesse or OC were there best emcees; but Big L. was like Lord Finesse but much better and more hood than OC or Fat Joe.

Most know that when Jay-Z was out he knew that Big L. was making the same rounds as him and spitting with the fast delivery with punchlines better than him, so it was only right that both would show up to the famous Stretch Armstrong Show and spit rhymes back & forth before Jay-Z had anything out and while Big L. had a record deal already and even featured Jay on his album (and if you heard both of their verses you knew Big L. was waaayyy better than Jay and rightfully so and he was only going to get better with time).

Yeah his first album was a straight boom-bap album for NYC underground die-hards and the only single most people knew about was the "MVP" joint (which Puff & Biggie jacked the beat for later on) but after all of that he just kept making appearances on underground radio spitting freestyles and showing up on songs by other DITC members with the illest rhymes you ever heard.

So when Big L. was coming out with new material (singles/12inches) he was getting a lot of love/airplay from different djs and was getting approached by labels as well and yes Dame Dash wanted to sign him (they also was trying to sign OC at one point too but I think Jay-Z wasn't going for it cause he didn't want anybody more lyrical than him on the label).

Anyway to make a long story short, Big L. was street enough for those underground hip-hop listeners and for the ones listening to the thug stuff and the let's get cash & make it rain rappers, if you just rate Big L. on his verses & lyrics you can't deny he was a beast, was he well-rounded as Rakim, Pharoahe Monch, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J., etc, I don't think so but he was on the same lines as Jay-Z, Biggie, Kool G. Rap, Eminem, & so on, which is why I'll let some people slide with having Big L. in their top ten greatest.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2838458 Previous topic | Next topic