Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2838261

Subject: "MGMT Album Trailer (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MGMT Album Trailer (link)"

you get snippets of five songs from the album http://vimeo.com/73704848

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
saw them at FYF...they played some of these songs
Sep 04th 2013
RE: saw them at FYF...they played some of these songs
Sep 04th 2013
and they should be.
Sep 04th 2013
snooze
Sep 04th 2013
album is trash.
Sep 10th 2013
Pitchfork Cover Story (link)
Sep 11th 2013
Ugh, this usually means a BNM designation...
Sep 11th 2013
cross-post
Sep 11th 2013
I doubt it
Sep 11th 2013
      RE: I doubt it
Sep 11th 2013
           RE: I doubt it
Sep 11th 2013
                You can improve on your sound though
Sep 11th 2013
                     So true.
Sep 11th 2013
                     RE: You can improve on your sound though
Sep 11th 2013
wow you cant be serious.
Sep 11th 2013
Cover Story didn't lead to BNM (link)
Sep 16th 2013
Wouldve wrote the Fork off forever if they didnt pan this bullsh*t
Sep 16th 2013
RE: How convoluted can it get?
Sep 16th 2013
RE: Cover Story didn't lead to BNM (link)
Sep 16th 2013

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "saw them at FYF...they played some of these songs"
In response to Reply # 0

crowd was dead as shit.

...until they played hits from the first album. Are they done?

16580 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 10:57 AM

2. "RE: saw them at FYF...they played some of these songs"
In response to Reply # 1

>crowd was dead as shit.
>
>
>...until they played hits from the first album. Are they
>done?

Done making the music from their first album. I like the new music. Dug the last album too.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 03:29 PM

4. "and they should be."
In response to Reply # 1

>crowd was dead as shit.
>
>

MGMT was onto something then they stuck their thumbs up their asses.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 03:06 PM

3. "snooze"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Tue Sep-10-13 03:52 PM

5. "album is trash."
In response to Reply # 0

16580 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 08:18 AM

6. "Pitchfork Cover Story (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/mgmt/

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 10:26 AM

7. "Ugh, this usually means a BNM designation..."
In response to Reply # 6

...regardless of the merits of the album. I usually enjoy the writing at pitchfork but I hate when they try to drive a narrative like this.

They did the same with the Janelle Monae earlier this week. Huge cover story, BNM, and the most lightweight review I've ever read for an album that is just not that good (def not better than her 1st full length).

Meanwhile Arctic Monkeys release the pop rock album of the year, and they can't drag themselves to BNM such a "revisionist" or "derivative" album.

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 01:26 PM

9. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 7

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2839445&mesg_id=2839445&page=#2839583

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

16580 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 03:29 PM

10. "I doubt it"
In response to Reply # 7

everybody else is trashing it. its entertaining to me

http://www.stereogum.com/1470691/premature-evaluation-mgmt-mgmt/franchises/premature-evaluation/

http://www.spin.com/reviews/mgmt-self-titled-columbia/

201cue
2204 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 04:26 PM

11. "RE: I doubt it"
In response to Reply # 10

>its entertaining to me

the album, or the trashing of it?

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

16580 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 04:35 PM

12. "RE: I doubt it"
In response to Reply # 11

>>its entertaining to me
>
>the album, or the trashing of it?

both. the album is cool. people want "Kids", buy the first album. with these writers, they always seem to be on the same page so with the other two sites shittin on the album i'm interested in what Pitchfork will say next week.

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 05:26 PM

13. "You can improve on your sound though"
In response to Reply # 12

>both. the album is cool. people want "Kids", buy the first
>album.

for example, look at the band Empire of The Sun. Probably the closest comparison to MGMT i know of...they built on the formula that works to continued success.

IMO, its more cowardice to turn your back on the successful formula and your fans. That stuff they doin now isnt hitting...i'm telling you the crowd was ALL THE WAY turnt down. Everything since the first album seems to sound empty. I hear they took 8 yrs to write the first album. If only the internet era would allow for that type of gap. Maybe folks could deal with a 4 yr gap.

201cue
2204 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 06:09 PM

14. "So true."
In response to Reply # 13

>i'm telling you the crowd was ALL THE WAY turnt
>down.

I'm gonna spin this album a couple more times before i officially write them off. Joint sounds like a poor man's version of Flaming Lips last album.

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

16580 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 06:42 PM

15. "RE: You can improve on your sound though"
In response to Reply # 13

>
>>both. the album is cool. people want "Kids", buy the first
>>album.
>
>for example, look at the band Empire of The Sun. Probably the
>closest comparison to MGMT i know of...they built on the
>formula that works to continued success.
>
>IMO, its more cowardice to turn your back on the successful
>formula and your fans. That stuff they doin now isnt
>hitting...i'm telling you the crowd was ALL THE WAY turnt
>down. Everything since the first album seems to sound empty. I
>hear they took 8 yrs to write the first album. If only the
>internet era would allow for that type of gap. Maybe folks
>could deal with a 4 yr gap.
>
I hear where you're coming from. I'm not a fan of Empire of the Sun though. I understand what you mean but MGMT just decided they didn't want to continue down that path even if it means losing the majority of their fans.

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Wed Sep-11-13 01:18 PM

8. "wow you cant be serious."
In response to Reply # 6

16580 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 07:20 AM

16. "Cover Story didn't lead to BNM (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18487-mgmt-mgmt/

Artist: MGMT
Album: MGMT
Label: Columbia; 2013
Rating: 6.2

By Ian Cohen; September 16, 2013

You’ve probably heard it more times than “Time to Pretend” by now: the story of MGMT vs. Oracular Spectacular. The duo’s 2007 debut stands as one of recent history's rare game-changing (read: replicable) pop-rock records and its success caught everyone off guard, most of all MGMT themselves. Paralyzed by songs they had the misfortune of disliking more than anyone else, Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser responded in 2010 with Congratulations, a well-meaning, overstuffed, and reactionary record of big ambitions that were only vaguely defined. It didn’t yield a hit, but Congratulations gave them something more valuable going forward: moral high ground. Of course, to follow them on their new path, you needed to believe that “Time to Pretend”, “Kids” and “Electric Feel” would prove to be MGMT’s “Creep” or “She Don’t Use Jelly”, an unrepresentative, fluke hit that allowed them to become stealth operatives for uncompromising art-rock in the compromised major label system.

The most important part of is this narrative is believing that MGMT are victimized by Oracular’s commercial success, a success they won’t repeat because hardly anyone will. If MGMT achieves only half of Oracular's platinum sales, it'll still be one of the top 30 or so sellers in 2013. But judging from the once again well-meaning, overstuffed, and reactionary MGMT, they’ll never make a truly weirder album than their debut either. Their original, guileless mishmash of gonzo storytelling, imperious pomp-rock, and day-glo synthesizers was the work of people who had no choice but to stay true to their ideals, as they had no pretensions or even any real clue of how it would stick. That spirit gave way to a self-conscious, scare-quotes “weirdness” indicative of artists trying to micromanage what you think about them.

And as with Congratulations, there are just enough moments of cohesion to counteract the latter impulse. Though it’s impossible to know what MGMT’s goals were, “Alien Days” at least feels like the most successful alignment of their supposedly divergent impulses towards prog’s complexity and pop’s pleasure. At first hearing, “Alien Days” feels unnecessarily fussy in both composition and production: you get actual child (not childlike) vocals, distorted drum breaks, and what sounds like the use of all 12 major chords within the span of thirty seconds. But once you get a sense of the labyrinthine structure, every strange turn ends up being the right one, each melodic resolution a small, substantial and lasting surprise, like continually finding a dollar in your jeans.

But the “Mystery Disease” referenced on the third track might just be MGMT's allergic reaction to anything resembling a straightforward pop song.Like most of the non-singles from Oracular, “Introspection” is derived from the ornate pastoralia of Kinks and Bowie and then handed off to producer Dave Fridmann to turn it all pixellated and paisley. But it plays out as a four-and-a-half-minute distraction, with all kinds of “What’s this button do?” knob-twiddling-- windshield-wiper stereo panning, perpetually increasing distortion that drowns out the chorus, tremolo effects. “Mystery Disease” bears a sleek glam melody that gets slathered in nasal flange effects and set to booming breakbeats; here, MGMT all of a sudden reveals themselves a late-90s connection between kinda proggy UK bands like Mansun and Doves, studio geeks whose rare pop songs are similarly their most beloved moments. At least on “Your Life Is a Lie”, the production serves the purpose of the lyrics, as VanWyngarden takes your perceptions through a hall of mirrors before abruptly stopping at two minutes, leaving you more confused than before.

That all happens during the first half of MGMT and in a likely nod to their vinyl-era heroes, Side B becomes a figurative record flip. With the exception of the shuffling goof "Plenty of Girls in the Sea", the band does away with any semblance of verse-chorus structure after its most accessible moment (“Your Life Is a Lie”), letting you know this is the real MGMT. And in fairness, the second half of MGMT shows you what they’ve been all along: a centrist indie rock band on a major label, only now you have to believe those two circles overlap way less than MGMT are letting on. The “weirdness” is just a matter of relativity at best, and at worst, a clever marketing ploy to curry critical favor to hedge against its commercial prospects. If you still think KROQ is seeking to add deep cuts from MGMT to its playlist, then yes, the likes of “Astro-Mancy” will sound awfully bizarre slotting in between bands like Bastille and Imagine Dragons, two examples of acts whose synth-spiked, genre-straddling electro-pop is somehow nominally “indie” thanks to MGMT.

But for all of their talk of going off the deep end, MGMT ultimately takes on a less flattering image, of a band wading in the indie mainstream. Hermetically sealed echo chamber “A Good Sadness” is a wallflower’s idea of space disco and indistinguishable from most anything on the most recent Bear in Heaven album, except MGMT eliminate any sort of consistent rhythmic locomotion. While Youth Lagoon’s Wondrous Bughouse upped the ante for bong-rip phaser effects, Trevor Powers uses them to support and accent luminous and legible mediations on cosmic circumstances; closer “An Orphan of Fortune” wilfully sinks into impenetrable goo. All of this gassy, overproduced stuff should make “Plenty of Girls in the Sea” sound revelatory, but it’s nothing but context, i.e., “see, we could totally write simple pop songs if we wanted to.” But if they think a Bee Gees groove in 3/4 time or an origin story about doing blow and marrying models were simple pop songs rather than some of the strangest hits of the past decade, we're dealing with resentments too deep-rooted to be fixed over the span of two albums.

Still, it’s easy to root for MGMT. Their LateNightTales compilation is fun as hell and their deferential, deflective tone suggests that they envy not only the creative freedom of Radiohead and Flaming Lips, but also their ability to serve as guides towards the eccentric influences who never shared their commercial luck. And when you see their Letterman performance of “Your Life Is a Lie”, it feels like the definitive version, as the multimedia format gives MGMT a better ability to convey the mischief and exuberance that their self-titled so badly needs. Because on MGMT, being weird is serious business, their ideas of prog are regressive, their psychedelia draws into its own dark recesses rather than transporting or illuminating, self-indulgence posing as artistic martyrdom. In other words, it’s not MGMT vs. Oracular Spectacular; if anything’s holding MGMT back, it’s themselves.

201cue
2204 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 09:02 AM

17. "Wouldve wrote the Fork off forever if they didnt pan this bullsh*t"
In response to Reply # 16

Loved this line btw:

"But if they think a Bee Gees groove in 6/4 time or an origin story about doing blow and marrying models were simple pop songs rather than some of the strangest hits of the past decade, we're dealing with resentments too deep-rooted to be fixed over the span of two albums."

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "RE: How convoluted can it get?"
In response to Reply # 17

Very, apparently.

"quite attractive." http://bit.ly/15NkawJ
"jacques (new mix)." http://bit.ly/17V33fa
"with henry james." http://bit.ly/1cIpnM6
"(pushed by) wind." http://bit.ly/180r30E
"one year later." http://bit.ly/1eQNPwI
"mark to market 2.0." http://bit.ly/14TRQic

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Mon Sep-16-13 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "RE: Cover Story didn't lead to BNM (link)"
In response to Reply # 16

> And when you see their Letterman performance
>of “Your Life Is a Lie”, it feels like the definitive version,
>as the multimedia format gives MGMT a better ability to convey
>the mischief and exuberance that their self-titled so badly
>needs.

I couldn't get much co-signs when I said that performance rocked on a post I made on it a few weeks ago.

Nice to know I still got my sharp instincts. 'Cause I definitely did not like the way the vocals of that song are mixed on the video/studio recording.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2838261 Previous topic | Next topic