Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2837210

Subject: "I *think* I heard that alternate OFF THE WALL mix last night...." Previous topic | Next topic
Nvncible1
Member since Jun 17th 2011
1900 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I *think* I heard that alternate OFF THE WALL mix last night...."

That QUEST was talkin about. I heard it at the MJ tribute part in ATL last night. Even the DJ was like " this is a rare mix y'all never heard before and probably will never hear again"

If I was smart I woulda recorded it on my phone. But I stopped dancing and listened.

Yeah it definitely did sound like the album was going into a more disco direction. Good call to remix it . I think I remembered hearing more orchestral elements in there.

The problem is I couldn't really tell how authentic it was, like was it recently touched or something. But man, would be a cool thing to have,

Is there a whole OFF THE WALL album with these original mixes in the vault?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
word is the Production that Rod Temperton did on it and the other
Aug 30th 2013
And This Is The Reason Why They Need A Deluxe Version Of "OTW"
Aug 31st 2013
the stems/multitracks of certain songs are out there
Aug 30th 2013
RE: the stems/multitracks of certain songs are out there
Aug 30th 2013
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljsempEifc1qzbl7f.gif
Aug 30th 2013
Do you have it if so
Aug 31st 2013
basically me
Sep 30th 2013
      This reply is hilarious n/m
Sep 30th 2013
      LOL you have the best connections
Oct 08th 2013
Does it sound like this
Sep 03rd 2013
RE: Does it sound like this
Sep 03rd 2013
      Word
Sep 29th 2013
On a related note, the original mix of "Rock With You" has no handclaps ...
Sep 03rd 2013
I just bought the cassette of off the wall at the goodwill for .28 cents
Sep 04th 2013
a rework of Rock With You using the multitrack stems
Sep 29th 2013
^^^ WOW ^^^
Sep 30th 2013
      I tried to upload mine but Soundcloud won't let me LOL
Oct 08th 2013
It's on CD too
Sep 30th 2013
all that there is
Sep 30th 2013
Damn
Oct 01st 2013
ill try
Oct 01st 2013
      ..i need to hear that.
Oct 01st 2013
^ awesomeness.
Oct 01st 2013
RE: all that there is
Oct 01st 2013
awesome, thank you!
Oct 01st 2013
RE: all that there is
Oct 01st 2013
I have "Off The Wall" chopped & screwed by the Chopstars
Oct 01st 2013
links to the stems?
Oct 07th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "word is the Production that Rod Temperton did on it and the other"
In response to Reply # 0

is the Quincy part with his crew.

Rod had the mix for Off the wall,rock with you and burn this disco out which sounds exactly like Heatwave outtakes on the original mixes.

Q brought in Jerry Hey and others to polish it up as you hear it, however the original has a more disco flavor especially the album title track and it makes sense since Temperton wrote and produced it and arranged it.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 12:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "And This Is The Reason Why They Need A Deluxe Version Of "OTW""
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Aug-31-13 12:17 PM by Dj Joey Joe

I'm not saying that "Thriller" wasn't better cause it was, and most of us are glad to get that revisited deluxe version of the "Bad" album but c'mon it's tons of people who still like the "Off The Wall" album equal to "Thriller" and with all the talk in the matrix about songs that were suppose to be on "OTW" that were recorded but probably not mixed or was but left off at the last minute makes many fans of this album curious and wanting to hear those jams.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 10:35 PM

2. "the stems/multitracks of certain songs are out there"
In response to Reply # 0

just gotta know the right people

http://boundless-expression.tumblr.com/

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

Nvncible1
1900 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 11:31 PM

3. "RE: the stems/multitracks of certain songs are out there"
In response to Reply # 2

Who YOU know, Leggman?

jaywonder
8431 posts
Fri Aug-30-13 11:52 PM

4. "http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljsempEifc1qzbl7f.gif"
In response to Reply # 3

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 12:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Do you have it if so "
In response to Reply # 2

could you Please share it?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:31 AM

13. " basically me"
In response to Reply # 2

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:37 AM

15. "This reply is hilarious n/m"
In response to Reply # 13

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

jaywonder
8431 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 01:10 AM

27. "LOL you have the best connections"
In response to Reply # 13

Quest, have you heard the stems to Shake Your Body?

Musa
15789 posts
Tue Sep-03-13 09:30 PM

7. "Does it sound like this"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rHzHTCr0Xo

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Nvncible1
1900 posts
Tue Sep-03-13 10:40 PM

9. "RE: Does it sound like this"
In response to Reply # 7

Yup dats it.

Musa
15789 posts
Sun Sep-29-13 05:38 PM

12. "Word"
In response to Reply # 9

I've been dying to find this jawn!

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Tue Sep-03-13 10:28 PM

8. "On a related note, the original mix of "Rock With You" has no handclaps ..."
In response to Reply # 0

in the chorus.

I was listening to it on vinyl one day like, "something is off".

Kinda shocked me. Really glad they added them.

mind
--------
matter

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Wed Sep-04-13 12:20 AM

10. "I just bought the cassette of off the wall at the goodwill for .28 cents"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-04-13 12:45 AM by Strangeways

and found out that it is very defective and muffled on certain songs but I like the beat for working day and night and the piano layering for I cant help it.

jaywonder
8431 posts
Sun Sep-29-13 03:12 AM

11. "a rework of Rock With You using the multitrack stems"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/thereflex/rock-with-you-o-the-reflex-1

DanSpeak
Charter member
3089 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "^^^ WOW ^^^"
In response to Reply # 11

Thanks for this one.

https://twitter.com/DJDanSpeak

https://soundcloud.com/dan-speak/the-voyage-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

jaywonder
8431 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 01:32 AM

28. "I tried to upload mine but Soundcloud won't let me LOL"
In response to Reply # 17

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:35 AM

14. "It's on CD too"
In response to Reply # 0

Plus, BAD's original release on CD differs from what's out there now.

9915 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:42 PM

16. "all that there is"
In response to Reply # 0

don't stop clocks in 7:54

pretty much the same as album version. there were extra string parts but were taken away. the party noise on the bridge is kinda funny cause i think the female voice is sassing quincy jones or whoever is sitting in the booth. the "kalimba breakdown" at the end really isnt a breakdown more or less it was bruce fading all the elements away to the bare elements of guitar and synth and percussion. it should be noted that the horn section was also doing the "breakdown" synth parts. kinda bringing to mind the breakdown of the EWF horns on "Magic Mind" from All n All. so pretty much all the cats are playing the entire 8 mins. whoever is playing the coke bottles (its marked RJ on track sheet so randy?) gets real excited and borderline speeds the percussion up round the 7:25 mark. mike switched from "keep on with the force don't.." to a non-effective "don't stop, don't stop, don't stop, don't stop, don't stop"

rock with you clocks in 4: 32

the horn intro that was supposed to play on the iconic drum fill is like my favorite thing ever. i mean yes was the smarter choice just drums? yes. its world famous. but there was a horn intro ontop of that fill i love to death.

the second "out on the floor....." has a clare fisher-esque orchestral swooning smothering arrangement that was taken away. when "there's a magic that must be love" hits....shit cot damn that string breakdown is like the best sweetest honey butter melting on grandma's bread of the 10 songs on this album, the only judgement fault i see was the orchestral strings not making the cut (i have Talking Book too....the strings on "You & I" coulda changed our lives....more on that later)---my guess is maybe they felt in 79 that barry white strings woulda made this a disco record and less a boogie record. i see no harm in including. the magic that is rod temperton's vocal guide is all you need in life. he sings "blahablha bakha da da dadaaaaa" like his life depended on it. i spin it in my sets to this day. and love throwing people off (just got Thriller stems, him counting all 160 bars of the song is a test in patience and great comedy all at once). bruce calls all songs that haven't been named yet "worms" on the slate reel (engineers dont slate nowadays---but on all my pre 1980 masters its common to hear: "Worms take 2" from the engineer. why he chooses that word i dunno.

working day and night clock in 6:08

mike is the breath control god. the 3 breathing tracks are a clinic of concentration and discipline if there ever was one. song is pretty much the same as you know it. there is a louis johnson bass take that was muted and replaced with the bass moog we all know. (louis comes in for that horn breakdown part in final version---just not whole song) i dunno what mic bruce used but its hella distorted. i like the effect but was shocked that was the bare track and a printed fx. i noticed mike has a default adlib riff when it comes to songs in his favorite key (think this is in e minor) for after the album fade he borderline mirror's his same adlibs from "things i do for you".

get on the floor clocks in 7:35

demo version from encino is in the key of A. cooks nice. coulda been a KILLER for the Light Up The Night lp (what it was intended for)--but doesn't go for the jugular like its album version does. it kinda goes down smooth like its "Rock With You"'s older cousin. George's guitar work woulda made this VERY discofied. so even though this is tasty, this coulda been a misstep.

however.....

in its NEW key? all going for the jugular.

the joy of all cats playing at once REALLY shows here.

bruce and greg phil have nice banter at the top "damnit wait for the slate for crying out loud!! get on the floor take one"----

greg then does a quickie mafioso clavinet mock "godfather theme" which feels like a inside joke cause then you hear laughter from what sounds like 12 cats. it feels like its nighttime and i can tell this might be the 3rd song of the night cause it just gels like they warmed up and ready for blood. like i KNOW they having fun. hell all 200 of em count the song together:

greg: 1....

greg and 8 dudes:.....2

greg, 8 dudes, plus 30 cats and maybe the janitor listening in: 1!!!! 2!!!!! 3!!!!!! &!!!!!!

off and running.

i believe david williams guitar part was added in post like on the half inch master reel for its nowhere on this reel of mine. which makes sense: half of wu tang's records are that way....psssh voodoo is even that way, you be having visions as you master and next thing you know you are STILL cutting tracks in the mastering session. so yeah those plucks on the chorus that wasn't on the OG version of OTW are NOT on this reel. this is also a great example of pulling back and not over-saturation. for starters they ixnayed all of the disco congas (think ojay's "i love music" intro) and some shakers. smart move. then the fat was trimmed: a 3rd verse was cut. and the chorus was cut by 75% (he sang it like 4 times EACH before all 3 versions) the breakdown drums were 4 times as long (this clues me into thinking they really thought this was a single---at least for discos---) however as a person listening with hip hop ears the cut paste of john robinson's drums are a lil off (i hear cut/flange clipping and because of the cymbal crashes going completely silent i can tell that was a copy paste job)---so this song demonstrates the albums strong leadership in Quincy making crucial decisions in cutting and trimming the fat (assuming this for he always says mike wants everything in there and is married to the demo---and its his job to pry it away---but of course mike insisted billie jean stay put so there is that exception) the clav part was taken away (leaving it a bass, string, guitar affair on the album version)---personally i feel like the clav drives it to an INTENSE feverish pitch. also in the background parts there was more "greek monster chorus" parts (you know how they sound like muppets and monsters on brothers johnson albums? go to "stomp" and all those crazy 6 person animated adlibs on "ill be good to you" and "free and single" and "free yourself, be yourself"---see how cartoony they sound?----well they are here and they are also....

off the wall clocks in at 5:39

here too.

clearly this was attempt one to make a campy halloween song (mike struck gold the second time around)

once again the "less is more school" is in effect and this is how i learn "oh they opt EVERYTHING and then decide what works and what doesn't.

this is the song that coulda tanked the album if they made one misstep:

-goodbye to:

disco conga ("i love music")
louis johnson bass ("synth")
george dukes other 2 synth solos (you can hear a ghost of it on "party people night and day" part)
the funky clavinets
the greeky freakys ("monster inc sanging cats")
orchestral strings
animal cackles and creepy noises
extra horn parts in the song.

wow factor: next to johnnie wilder i can't imagine another human who should sing rod's arrangements. mike and those 7 background (NO DOUBLES SON!) parts is on some jordan game 6 shits (not to be mistaken for the greak freaks---im talking the all mike voice beds---especially that bridge? JESUS mike is his best background singing mate "aint no rules its all up to you....."---after the song the band goes into free jazz for like 20 secs and then laugh.

good times.

girlfriend clocks in 4:00

when you take the bass out and beef the drums up? this song COOKS. so i gotta say the engineering on the album final makes you think its a smoothie. but there are like 4 extra synth parts doing intricate syncopation parts. there were 3 vocal takes and i like the 2nd take better than take 3 (lp version) mike gets super intricate and tricky with the "duh duh duh da doo day da dooooo" on songs fade and does it for like 2 mins straight.---w/o protools i KNOW this part alone took like friggin 5 hours to do. which got me thinking: this mofo put ALL his hard work into the part of the song the noone but me and spinna will hear in this lifetime. gotta laugh a lil bout that.

(gotta do rest later)

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

CRM
Member since Aug 06th 2007
519 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 08:15 AM

18. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 16

More about the strings on You & I too, please...

9915 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 12:51 PM

19. "ill try"
In response to Reply # 18

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:12 PM

22. "..i need to hear that."
In response to Reply # 19

you & i is one of my favorite stevie songs, easily.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:06 PM

20. "^ awesomeness."

rawbreed
Charter member
1987 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
21. "RE: all that there is"

I hoped you would do this. Thank You!!

stevefostermusic.com
stevefoster.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/mrstevefoster

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:12 PM

23. "awesome, thank you!"

Nvncible1
1900 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:38 PM

24. "RE: all that there is"

MAN. Im honored to have this info in my post. i read each line 3-4 times i dig info like this.

preciate it.

and i always thought i heard an abvious bad tape slice during the conga break on GET ON THE FLOOR. my ears are good at hearing that. just like there is during the final choruses of BEAT IT.

MistaGoodBar
Member since Nov 04th 2004
29351 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 05:19 PM

25. "I have "Off The Wall" chopped & screwed by the Chopstars"
In response to Reply # 0

FAN
TAS
TIC

Google is your friend, screwheads

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://mistagoodbar.com
Twitter/IG: mistagoodbar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 07:09 PM

26. "links to the stems?"
In response to Reply # 0

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

Lobby The Lesson topic #2837210 Previous topic | Next topic