Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2835683

Subject: "Questo's thoughts on EL-P..." Previous topic | Next topic
spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 03:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Questo's thoughts on EL-P..."
Mon Aug-26-13 03:07 AM by spidey

...with all the talk in here of EL, who is finally getting some love from the masses, which is well deserved, was wondering what another Hip Hop genius, Questlove, thinks about EL's music. They definitely come from different angles as it relates to Hip Hop, just thought it would be interesting to know. I understand Questo himself actually participates up in here at times, maybe we can get some thoughts on the topic Mr. Thompson?

...on a slightly different tip, my prediction...Just like it took some time for EL to be recognized/appreciated, I think at some point in the near future RJD2 will also be recognized as the monster talent that he is...Peace is the word....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Questo's thoughts on EL-P...
Aug 26th 2013
Questo is too big for us here
Aug 26th 2013
*snicker*
Aug 26th 2013
He said on swedish radio in themid- late 90's he was a Co-Flow fan...
Aug 26th 2013
RE: He said on swedish radio in themid- late 90's he was a Co-Flow fan.....
Aug 26th 2013
Wasn't there a tour w/the Roots backing the Def Jux acts?
Aug 26th 2013
Yeah, They Did A 2-Night The Roots w/Def Jux at the TLA in Philly in 03
Aug 27th 2013
what's the difference?
Aug 26th 2013
here we go.
Aug 26th 2013
it's important because ?uestlove's has the ability to become
Aug 26th 2013
is he really though? Outside of okayplayer and Fallon viewers
Aug 26th 2013
RE: it's important because ?uestlove's has the ability to become
Aug 27th 2013
RE: what's the difference?
Aug 26th 2013
      I honestly didn't mean it as a snark...
Aug 26th 2013
           RE: I honestly didn't mean it as a snark...
Aug 26th 2013
not el-p, but I know he digs RJD2
Aug 26th 2013
RE: not el-p, but I know he digs RJD2
Aug 26th 2013
I want another True Notes comp. n/m
Aug 26th 2013
I want to say he big him up on here one day
Aug 26th 2013
aren't they cool doesn't El have an OK next to his name here
Aug 27th 2013
RE: aren't they cool doesn't El have an OK next to his name here
Aug 27th 2013
El-p definitely has an OK symbol.
Aug 27th 2013
      him coming into that post where dude was claiming he was above Dre
Aug 27th 2013
           He kinda act like you...got that petulant, smart, kinda mad steez
Aug 27th 2013
                Funniest shit you're ever written
Aug 27th 2013
Aug 27th 2013
Aug 27th 2013
I think this is a fair and reasonable post, btw.
Aug 27th 2013
Also, how does ?uest feel about radishes
Aug 27th 2013
RE: Also, how does ?uest feel about radishes
Aug 27th 2013
Does Questo know what number I'm thinking of?
Aug 27th 2013
not sure but someone should ask him
Sep 08th 2013
El-P has the "OK" by his name. Nuff said. n/m
Aug 27th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
RE: Questo's thoughts on dinner?
Sep 08th 2013

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Questo's thoughts on EL-P..."
In response to Reply # 0

...No love from Mr. Questlove? Damn, I bought the book and all that...

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 01:57 PM

2. "Questo is too big for us here"
In response to Reply # 1

you can try asking on twitter but he probably won't respond there either

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 03:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "*snicker*"
In response to Reply # 1

>...No love from Mr. Questlove? Damn, I bought the book and
>all that...

LMAO.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 02:12 PM

3. "He said on swedish radio in themid- late 90's he was a Co-Flow fan..."
In response to Reply # 0

This was when Co-flow started to get a lot of hype and I don't remember the context but interviewer Mats Nileskär (an old swedish soul- and Hip-hop fan with a ponytail, leatherpants and a priceless voice) asked him about Company Flow and he said that they were dope and said some more things but I can't remember what. I have the interview on tape somewhere; otherwise maybe you can find it somewhere on the web. Search "P3 Soul" and Roots or Questlove and "intervju" and "Mats Nileskär" or something...

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 02:41 PM

4. "RE: He said on swedish radio in themid- late 90's he was a Co-Flow fan....."
In response to Reply # 3

...much appreciated, but would be even more interested in his thoughts on EL from "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" till the present..Thanks again, and will do some research...

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 02:55 PM

5. "Wasn't there a tour w/the Roots backing the Def Jux acts?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or at least a couple shows...

http://twitter.com/collazo

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:48 AM

19. "Yeah, They Did A 2-Night The Roots w/Def Jux at the TLA in Philly in 03"
In response to Reply # 5

It was over the holidays.

Not sure if there was any collaboration beyond that but I was in the building for the second night, even had to drive up to Rutgers New Brunswick campus earlier in the day to cop a pair off an OKP (I believe it was DJPrimetime) I was there (had to drive up to Rutgers New Brunswick just to buy tickets & from what I can recall:

Little Brother did a mini-set too & killed.

Mr. Lif's dreads looked alien-like up close, Aesop Rock was out there with 'em looking like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo & actually rapping like an alien.

SA Smash came out doing some kind of shout/shriek rhyme style that was like a cross between a hysterical teenage girl & a Tourrette's Syndrome sufferer........the crowd was sorta looking around nervously like 'is anyone actually feeling *this shit*'.

Cannibal Ox (or at least Vast Aire) was there but somehow despite my love for Cold Vein as an album I cannot for the life of me recall anything other than thinking 'damn, Vast really is *vast*' dude was easily the tallest/heftiest dude to grace that stage that evening.

J-Live was scheduled but had lost his voice, I think he either tried to give it a go or came out onstage as a show of solidarity but no actual performance.

I wanna say Jean Grae did a couple of cuts that were 'ok' then complained about the shallowness of the industry & said something about quitting the business.

Don't think El-P performed or was even there.

Roots did some of their own cuts in between appearances.

AND DEN?(c)"Dude, Where's My Car?" chinese-drive-thru-lady

Schoolly D (occupying the surprise-special-guest/show-closing-living-legend slot that I believe was Pete Rock & CL Smooth on the night before's show) came out & made me forget everything that happened before.

No idea what the fuck was on Schoolly Skool's bird that night or better yet what type of shit he was on but he came out whylin, started into 'Saturday Night' (or maybe it was 'PSK', it's been a decade since & he only made it thru maybe one verse & then 2 or 3 re-starts with Black Thought playing good soldier trying to guide him through it).

All I know is at some point even Quest gave up once Schoolly (for youngins or old-heads who haven't seen it, Philly Mag did a great piece on him last year: http://www.phillymag.com/articles/schoolly-d-is-living-the-american-dream/ wouldn't stop bugging him to let him get on the drum kit.

No idea why Quest eventually abdicated the throne (other than the fact that we were in Philly, it was 1 AM & he was Schoolly Fucking D not ready to take no for an answer).

This motherfucka Schoolly starts doing some kind of fucked-up drum solo, by this point Hub & Kamal weren't even still pretending to accompany, all The Legendary just looking at each other like 'What the fuck is going on here?' and Schoolly starts singing from the stool on the kit 'This Old Man, He Played One, He Played Knick-Knack On My Drum' while the entire crowd & crew sat there befuddled. I think he got up to singing 'This Old Man, He Played Six' with the next rhyming couplet of course modified to 'dicks' before 15 or somebody else managed to gently get him up out of the drum seat, away from the mic & off the stage.

I guess that was like the South Philly version of Old Dirty hijacking Black Thought's mic at Irving Plaza in '96, Malik B's (and incidentally, Rahzel's) last show with the Legendary at Bowery Ballroom in '99 (Gangstarr 10th Anniversary, pre-'I Try'-blowout Macy Gray opening) when he was just standing onstage while Thought still had to do his verses because he was busy dumping entire bottles of water over his head oblivious to where he was while teenie or somebody from the team was out there wiping down the wet spots on the stage after him, or the '06 Pre-Grammy Jam Session at Key Club in Hollywood when Bushwick Bill came out to do just his 'this year, Halloween fell on a weekend' Mind Playin' Tricks verse but then wouldn't get off the stage, started freestyling or trying to kick his new conscious rap solo shit while the band wondered 'how do you give a one-eyed midget the bum's rush without looking like heartless assholes'.

In other words, just one of those calamities in the moment that over time becomes pure comedy.

But actually, Schoolly D's 'This Old Man' rendition for the encore of a show was comedy from the jump, that was one of those things you're watching knowing that it's damn-shame terrible, ridiculous & absolutely unforgettable all at the same time.

We closed out the bar next door still laughing about that shit, hit Lorenzo's for a slice, went back to this group of Uni Arts' girls rowhouse on the alley by Lombard & I may have even seen daylight.

I distinctly recall waking up hungover the next day in a big-ass house occupied by no one at the time but me & my man who was at the show with me, sipping a Gatorade & trying to piece together the evening, hopping on the downstairs computer to log onto OKP only to see Qoolquest's subjectline in a Lesson post that just read 'This Old Man, He Played Six' which immediately brought back the previous night's nonsense back with a wave so powerful I laughed until my eyes started to water before even clicking the thread.

Anyway, long story now officially 'Get A Blog, Bomb' long, that was my impressions of the second night of The Roots' "Def Jux" show.

Hope that helps because I couldn't help myself.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 02:56 PM

6. "what's the difference? "
In response to Reply # 0

At the end of the day, is it going to change what you think?

Why is 15's opinon important?

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 03:13 PM

8. "here we go."
In response to Reply # 6

... Charter member, but I don't post much. LAZERS.

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 04:15 PM

9. "it's important because ?uestlove's has the ability to become"
In response to Reply # 6

tastemaker with actual taste
a lil shine from the big homie wouldn't hurt

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Stadiq
4876 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 05:02 PM

12. "is he really though? Outside of okayplayer and Fallon viewers"
In response to Reply # 9

Is he coming on here and saying "I love El P" going to accomplish anything?

Nah...

Not trying to rain on the parade, but...

Last thing I want is an El P + Elvis Costello album ***slowly backs out of thread***

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 10:35 AM

20. "RE: it's important because ?uestlove's has the ability to become"
In response to Reply # 9

>tastemaker with actual taste
>a lil shine from the big homie wouldn't hurt

I of course can not speak for El-P himself, but El seems to be doing alright for himself in terms of the love he's getting from the Run The Jewels tour.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 04:44 PM

10. "RE: what's the difference? "
In response to Reply # 6

...Just interested, simple as that...if he came out and said he thought EL's ish was wack, it would not change my opinion of either...it's a post, and that's what we do up in here right? Two GREAT artists who, IMO, have created some of the best HIP HOP music, yet are very different from a pure sound standpoint...PEACE!

Stadiq
4876 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 04:58 PM

11. "I honestly didn't mean it as a snark..."
In response to Reply # 10

You know I got nothing but respect...

I just think people on here look to 15 too much to validate their opinion...or in some cases decide it for them.

That's not you I should have watched my phrasing more closely...

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 05:14 PM

14. "RE: I honestly didn't mean it as a snark..."
In response to Reply # 11

It's all good bro...

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 05:13 PM

13. "not el-p, but I know he digs RJD2"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember back when The Tipping Point was being worked on he mentioned here (OKP) that they were getting some beats from RJ. I wanna guess that the only thing to come from that was the RJ-produced Dice Raw track from the OKP compilation that came out around then (was it "True Notes"?).

I can only assume he digs El-P given El's Bomb Squad-influenced sound. El has posted here several times as well... Would be cool to get ?'s opinion though, I miss that about the lesson. Seeing ? respond to random posts and whatnot

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 05:19 PM

15. "RE: not el-p, but I know he digs RJD2"
In response to Reply # 13

I do remember that little RJD2/true notes connection...I recently saw some interview/promotional ish centered on RJ, and he is really gonna be coming with some heat, even outside of Hip Hop...Peace...

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:19 PM

16. "I want another True Notes comp. n/m"
In response to Reply # 13

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Aug-26-13 08:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I want to say he big him up on here one day "
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "aren't they cool doesn't El have an OK next to his name here"
In response to Reply # 0

Or am I crazy?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 12:41 PM

22. "RE: aren't they cool doesn't El have an OK next to his name here"
In response to Reply # 18

...I don't think so...

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts

24. "El-p definitely has an OK symbol. "
In response to Reply # 18

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 01:41 PM

25. "him coming into that post where dude was claiming he was above Dre"
In response to Reply # 24

as a producer to vehemently disagree was hilarious.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 02:07 PM

26. "He kinda act like you...got that petulant, smart, kinda mad steez"
In response to Reply # 25

Dude be in here being mad disrespectful on the humble,
not out of pocket with it though

He acts like he could actually be a dude from my personal
circle of friends, I know a lot of people just like that

(Oh dear lord, now I sound like I'm saying I want to be
his friend...welcome to 7th grade)

(C)Keith Murray, "

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:39 PM

28. "Funniest shit you're ever written"
In response to Reply # 26
Tue Aug-27-13 03:40 PM by mrshow

One learning disabled guy at the 7-11 does not a circle of friends make, Pudding.

>He acts like he could actually be a dude from my personal
>circle of friends, I know a lot of people just like that

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 11:04 AM

21. "RE: Questo's thoughts on EL-P..."
In response to Reply # 0

will that change how you feel about EL-P? WHile I agree with a lot of Quest's music taste I dont agree with all of it..

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts

23. "RE: Questo's thoughts on EL-P..."
In response to Reply # 21

See post #10...

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 02:09 PM

27. "I think this is a fair and reasonable post, btw. "
In response to Reply # 0

El-P is one of those underappreciated geniuses who,
seemingly overnight, isn't so underappreciated (or is
at least a lot less underappreciated)

Sure, I'd be curious what Quest has to say

(C)Keith Murray, "

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:41 PM

29. "Also, how does ?uest feel about radishes "
In response to Reply # 0

Inquiring minds and what-not.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 04:25 PM

32. "RE: Also, how does ?uest feel about radishes "
In response to Reply # 29

...An example of the type of white dude I was talking about in that other post....lol...

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:42 PM

30. "Does Questo know what number I'm thinking of?"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 09:18 PM

34. "not sure but someone should ask him"
In response to Reply # 30

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Tue Aug-27-13 03:52 PM

31. "El-P has the "OK" by his name. Nuff said. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 02:07 PM

33. "..."
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 09:28 PM

35. "RE: Questo's thoughts on dinner?"
In response to Reply # 0

What should I have?!?!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2835683 Previous topic | Next topic