Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2832243

Subject: "For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya (lin..." Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya (lin..."

http://www.spin.com/articles/kendrick-lamar-control-verse-big-sean-jay-electronica/

Kendrick Lamar's 'Control' Verse: Not as Impressive as It Seems

K.Dot's guest verse on the Big Sean bonus track promotes a conservative vision of rap lyricism

WRITTEN BY Brandon Soderberg
August 13 2013, 2:36 PM ET

Last night, Big Sean released "Control," a track that won't make his upcoming album, Hall of Fame, due to sample-clearance issues. It's a seven-minute epic pulled along by a squeaky Spanish-language sample, with guest verses from a terse, confident Jay Electronica and an acrobatic Kendrick Lamar. The latter's endless-in-a-good-way rapping here expands from an intoned chant to a gravelly near-yell, delivering loaded lines wherein he declares himself "the King of New York"; places himself amid some of rap's all-time greats (Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, Andre 3000); and, via direct shout-outs, offers up a challenge to the rest of his straight-spitting generation: "Jermaine Cole, Big K.R.I.T., Wale / Pusha T, Meek Mill, A$AP Rocky, Drake / Big Sean, Jay Electron', Tyler, Mac Miller / I got love for you all but I'm trying to murder you niggas." The verse immediately knocked everybody over.

But "Control" is not quite as impressive as it seems. There's a great deal of filibustering in Kendrick's verse: Far too much name-checking just to fill space (from Kurupt to Lindsay Lohan), and numerous lines that say the same exact thing in pretty much the same exact way. The chilling "I don't smoke crack, motherfucker, I sell it" sounds like a Compton cryptkeeper character straight out of his 2012 rap opera good kid, m.A.A.d city, but the idea is quickly abandoned. Such a rah-rah song could use some pathos, and Kendrick's great at that-pleasure-that-pain rapping, but only toward verse's end, when he conjures up an extended, absurdist image (skydiving out of a plane piloted by a drunk-ass old man) does the end result qualify as truly memorable and vivid. Sure, Kendrick's expert trolling of rap's gatekeepers is the big takeaway here, but you admire his balls in even attempting such a thing more than the writing itself. Contrast it with the sober (and, yes, less exciting) Jay Electronica verse that immediately follows — with a solid elemental conceit sustained throughout, every line building on the previous one and propeling his boasts forward — and Kendrick comes off as unfocused and chaotic.

"Control" is also a rap verse about how much he's killing it, even though he isn't really killing it. It feels like an event because Kendrick tells you it's an event. And so it becomes an event, picked up and propelled by a thirsty blogosphere awash in "What do you think? Comment below!"-style nonsense. It's rap lyricism as click bait. Amazingly well-rapped click bait, but Kendrick calling himself "King of New York" is cheap nonetheless. Cheap because it's just a lazy way of upsetting a certain quadrant of embattled rap listeners, but also because at the same time, it tows the party line that New York hip-hop is still monolithic, or even matters much at all. Does it mean anything in 2013 to be the King of New York Rap? Does it mean anything to say you're the King of New York Rap?

Tucked around that unlikely declaration is an incredibly safe act of maintaining the status quo for what constitutes "good" rapping. New York hip-hop is briefly challenged and affronted here, but ultimately, it is also further mythologized. Also, the lack of Southern MCs in Kendrick's rundown (save for Big K.R.I.T.) is particularly egregious. Kendrick is constructing a narrative here: Not only did he unleash the verse of the year, dawg, but he's essentially told listeners which mainstream-approved rappers they should care about. He might as well be editing XXL here, planning a cover story titled "#NEWLYRICISM." Typically, though, there's nothing "new" about the lyricism celebrated or displayed on "Control."

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Where's O_E to complain about hipsters?
Aug 14th 2013
^^^
Aug 14th 2013
LOL
Aug 14th 2013
LMAO
Aug 14th 2013
chaotic? sure.
Aug 14th 2013
LOL @ crying because the South wasn't included
Aug 14th 2013
Yeah, blame the south because New York is irrelevant
Aug 14th 2013
Clearly the south is irrelevant when it comes to 'spittin'
Aug 14th 2013
      nope but go on tho
Aug 14th 2013
           South ain't in this convo. Period.
Aug 14th 2013
                True. We like making money
Aug 14th 2013
                     Is that a metaphor for hot bars
Aug 14th 2013
RE: LOL @ crying because the South wasn't included
Aug 14th 2013
Lets have more threads on this
Aug 14th 2013
This is a stupid article.
Aug 14th 2013
good post.
Aug 14th 2013
RE: This is a stupid article.
Aug 14th 2013
yep for real they just trying to be different
Aug 14th 2013
the author isn't too far off.
Aug 14th 2013
Reviews From The Same Mag That Ripped Amerikkk'as Most
Aug 14th 2013
nah, that was Rolling Stone with that bullshit-ass 2 & a 1/2 star review
Aug 14th 2013
But they ain't wrong.
Aug 14th 2013
Yes, I did read. And they are kinda wrong, tho...
Aug 14th 2013
      But isn't that the argument?
Aug 14th 2013
           Ok yea but --- the argument is kind of ... desperate?
Aug 14th 2013
                Now that I think about it more...I don't think the Kurupt mention...
Aug 14th 2013
It never fails to amuse me when "authorities" like SPIN
Aug 14th 2013
http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/pictures/picture-18238-1372868646.pn...
Aug 14th 2013
lol
Sep 09th 2013
it's high profile trolling
Aug 14th 2013
3 problems here
Aug 14th 2013
      the logic that allowed the clown yt boi to write the article in the 1st ...
Aug 14th 2013
      RE: 3 problems here
Aug 14th 2013
      RE: 3 problems here
Aug 14th 2013
      yep
Aug 14th 2013
      jay e mentioned magnolia in this very song lol
Aug 14th 2013
      LOL .... spell it out for him
Sep 09th 2013
      SMH. I will never get this logic of what makes you a Southern MC
Aug 14th 2013
           loud gas? bands and turning UUUUUUUUUUP?
Aug 14th 2013
           you know?
Sep 09th 2013
horrible article
Aug 14th 2013
^^^^^
Sep 09th 2013
"look at me, i'm different" -spin
Aug 14th 2013
oh please...there is a lot of room to be unimpressed
Aug 14th 2013
the last paragraph is the worst part
Aug 14th 2013
      This.
Aug 14th 2013
      You nailed it
Aug 14th 2013
           RE: You nailed it
Aug 14th 2013
childish dismissal aside...
Aug 14th 2013
c'mon phil..it ain't THAT serious
Aug 14th 2013
not at all...
Aug 14th 2013
Not better at all. Two sides of the same silly coin.
Sep 09th 2013
Perfect summary
Aug 14th 2013
RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ...
Aug 14th 2013
Aug 14th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
But.....he.....eh. I'm gone
Sep 09th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 08:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Where's O_E to complain about hipsters?"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:56 PM

18. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 1

>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:08 PM

43. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:00 AM

2. "chaotic? sure."
In response to Reply # 0

unfocused? anything but.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "LOL @ crying because the South wasn't included"
In response to Reply # 0

the South is the reason why there are no more NYC rappers to respond to kendrick

Everybody trying to emulate that retarded shit (which is cool I like French too)

16580 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:19 AM

4. "Yeah, blame the south because New York is irrelevant"
In response to Reply # 3

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:24 AM

6. "Clearly the south is irrelevant when it comes to 'spittin'"
In response to Reply # 4

and 'hot bars' or whatever this dumb ass argument is about regarding Kendrick's verse

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "nope but go on tho"
In response to Reply # 6

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:05 PM

21. "South ain't in this convo. Period. "
In response to Reply # 11

16580 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:09 PM

22. "True. We like making money"
In response to Reply # 21

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:00 PM

41. "Is that a metaphor for hot bars"
In response to Reply # 22

I only speak the thun language

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 06:24 PM

50. "RE: LOL @ crying because the South wasn't included"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm not from the south (CA), so I may have it twisted.. but isn't VA (Pusha T) and (LA) Jay Electron' considered the South?

LOL

Or is it because that besides KRIT, none of those other guys are considered to fit the mold or stereotype, if you will, of a southern rapper?

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4878 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 09:20 AM

5. "Lets have more threads on this"
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "This is a stupid article."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-14-13 10:49 AM by Brew

Kendrick wrote his verse this Saturday. He came hungry, he came focused, even if I agree that maybe the verse itself sometimes seems lost in the beat. The hunger is still there, though, and the goal reached: make everybody mad.

He's written a million verses technically "better" than this one, he's crafted better songs. But the fact remains: this dood was invited onto a track with two guys in his "generation" so to speak, and namechecked both of them on the song they invited him on. Not to mention everyone else. That's dope and unexpected. It's fun.

He called himself the king of NY. Someone tweeted that if he wanted to "let his nuts hang," he should've claimed the South. But I don't think that he was trying to make a claim as the King of the world, I think Spin missed the point of what he was saying. I think he wanted to verbally acknowledge that NY rap has been somewhat stagnant and boring to him for a while, and therefore claim that since no one FROM that geographic locale seems hungry enough to take it, that he'll claim KONY even being an MC 3000 miles away. That's dope. It's a challenge, not a diss.

He succeeded in the challenge and he made everyone mad, and hopefully, that anger will turn to hunger and NY rap will become interesting again. I think that was KL's goal. This is exciting, no matter how "great" the verse is technically (I still think it's damn good even if it's a bit jumbled at times and off beat), it's something that hiphop deserves I think. It's been a while since a verse has made this type of noise. Over a decade probably.

Spin is grasping at straws just for the sake of having a different opinion. If it gets them hits, good for them. But they made no strong case. The verse is dope and served its purpose.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:04 AM

8. "good post."
In response to Reply # 7

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:44 AM

10. "RE: This is a stupid article."
In response to Reply # 7

Solid thinking....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "yep for real they just trying to be different"
In response to Reply # 7

I agree with what you said...Kendrick like most of us grew up on NY rap 2 and its sad to see the state its in..

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 11:55 AM

12. "the author isn't too far off."
In response to Reply # 0

Kendrick's verse is more remarkable for the shock the names he dropped triggered and the brashness of the boasts the verse contained than for technical musicality of the verse.

in a purely technical aspect, Jay Elec's verse was better. his verse was more streamlined and clear in focus than Kendrick's.

but then again, Kendrick's lyrical gift seems to be the way he moves back and forth around the line of cartoonish emotional intensity and clear, relateable terms. half of the pleasure of the verse is how unpolished and raw it is; kind of a half-freestyle.

the author seems to be saying that the hype is more of a social media creation than of a legitimate sense of awe caused by the delivery and construction of the verse. i can't really argue against that, but i think the hype is more of a sign that this new generation has really arrived and is being embraced by us oldheads as living up to the traditional standards of the music.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:08 PM

14. "Reviews From The Same Mag That Ripped Amerikkk'as Most"
In response to Reply # 0

don't mean much to me. Yeah I'm still mad.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:56 PM

17. "nah, that was Rolling Stone with that bullshit-ass 2 & a 1/2 star review"
In response to Reply # 14

>don't mean much to me. Yeah I'm still mad.

Spin was actually a good magazine in the mid-to-late-80's up through maybe Kurt Cobain's death.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "But they ain't wrong."
In response to Reply # 0

Did anyone actually read it or just immediately piddle in their Kendrick underoos to jump to dismiss it?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:48 PM

16. "Yes, I did read. And they are kinda wrong, tho..."
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Aug-14-13 12:54 PM by Brew

The writer says "Far too much name dropping just to fill space" then can only name Kurupt and Lindsey Lohan as the "space fillers." And it's arguable whether either of those were even "space fillers" at all. Not to mention that, it's a fucking 3 minute verse, of course there's going to be a little filler.

He then says that Kendrick says the exact same thing in the exact same way a bunch of times (paraphrasing), without showing any examples. Well, sure, it's a bragging song about how he's the best. And again, it's 3 minutes long. There's bound to be some level of repetition as there's only so many ways of saying "I'm the best in the game." But, still, he didn't say it in the exact same way. He kept it interesting. If he didn't, people wouldn't be freaking out about it.

He then goes on to talk about how there's no overarching narrative/concept/vivid imagery. Uhmmmm, bro, it's a song where he claims to be the best and calls out potential challengers, and claims NY because no one else will, and notes how he wants to be mentioned as one of the greats. And it's a hastily written guest verse on a track he was invited on that will probably never be released. Did you expect some kind of intense, Tale of Two Cities narrative? Do you even enjoy rap music? (I'm talking to the writer).

He mentions how the balls he shows in making the bold claims are more exciting than the writing itself. This is the only part I can agree with. He's written far better verses from a technical standpoint. And, revisiting the above paragraph, he's penned many songs with very vivid concepts and content. Is he not allowed to have a little fun, too?

So Jay Elec's verse was better from a technical standpoint. Notice how bored everyone is by it?

He then mentions that it's a verse about how Kendrick is killing it, even though he isn't really killing it. But the fact is that he is killing it. He's the hottest lyricist in the industry.

Then he says it's only an event because Kendrick said it was an event. Kendrick never said it was an event. He made it one by spitting a hot verse that got everyone talking. That's what made it an event.

He then says that his claim as KONY is "cheap" because it's a lazy way of upsetting a certain quadrant of embattled rap listeners. If you read my post above, you'll see that I think he totally misses the point of what Kendrick was saying and trying to do by making that claim. I won't repeat myself, just go read it. This, of course, is an interpretation and I could very well be wrong. But at least it's a theory.

So yea --- the writer is mostly wrong, I think. Only part he was right about was that the writing isn't his best. So fucking what.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:20 PM

23. "But isn't that the argument?"
In response to Reply # 16

> Only part he
>was right about was that the writing isn't his best. So
>fucking what.

That this verse is less "Oh shit listen to this skilled emcee!" and more "oh shit, he drew a line in the sand?" I feel like (on both sides) people are letting their allegiances get in the way of actual discussion about the verse. A verse I love. But I feel like people are going overboard on all this (again, on both sides). I thought the writer did a good job of pointing all of that. Does he have unfounded hate in his breath? Sure. But he backs up what he doesn't like, unlike a lot of posters on some "He's the GOAT! n/m"/"Shit's wack n/m."

An on the name tip, yeah, he only named Kurupt and Lohan, but was dude supposed to be like "...and Bob Marley, and Sean Connery, and Paul Mccartney, and Phil Jackson, and..."?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:27 PM

25. "Ok yea but --- the argument is kind of ... desperate?"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed Aug-14-13 01:28 PM by Brew

That was my point. It was one not worth making. And I don't even think the writer believes in it.

>That this verse is less "Oh shit listen to this skilled
>emcee!" and more "oh shit, he drew a line in the sand?"

Can't it be both? And even if not, the verse is hot. Again, it's not HIS best, he's mega talented. He can't bring his A+ everytime. So yes -- the writing leaves a little to be desired because of what we've come to expect from this kid, but I think people are wigging out BECAUSE it's a pretty hot verse AND he drew that line in the sand. In other words he made up for the below-his-standards writing with some pretty strong claims and challenges. I don't see a problem with this.

>I
>feel like (on both sides) people are letting their allegiances
>get in the way of actual discussion about the verse. A verse
>I love. But I feel like people are going overboard on all
>this (again, on both sides).

Word. This I can agree with. People are being hyperbolic on both sides, no doubt. But the writer didn't really say that.

But yea -- we're in agreement here. Those that are saying HOTTEST VERSE EVER are wrong. There's been far better verses. And those who are trying to write it off completely are also out of their minds.

>I thought the writer did a good
>job of pointing all of that. Does he have unfounded hate in
>his breath? Sure. But he backs up what he doesn't like,
>unlike a lot of posters on some "He's the GOAT! n/m"/"Shit's
>wack n/m."

Sure. Again, I think we can agree here. The unfounded hate breath, which you so aptly mention, was the part I took issue with and think was completely unnecessary. I think he did a really poor job of getting his point across. And it wasn't deserving of a full article I don't think. It's the internet. Of course people are gonna be hyperbolic. But he didn't even really touch on that part specifically. Was just a weird article.

>An on the name tip, yeah, he only named Kurupt and Lohan, but
>was dude supposed to be like "...and Bob Marley, and Sean
>Connery, and Paul Mccartney, and Phil Jackson, and..."?

Yea I listened again after the fact. He did some name dropping. But I think my point still stands. There ain't many 3+ minute verses any of us could name that don't have any time-fillers or rhyme-finishers in them. Nature of the beast.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:01 PM

42. "Now that I think about it more...I don't think the Kurupt mention..."
In response to Reply # 25

was filler or random at all. This is Kendrick's "Calling Out Names" moment. He's from the West Coast. I think that was intentional.

MajrLeaguer
Charter member
806 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 12:59 PM

19. "It never fails to amuse me when "authorities" like SPIN"
In response to Reply # 0

make such elementary mistakes within articles like this, suggesting the only artist from the South K-Dot called on was KRIT, when:

J Cole - Fayetteville, NC
Pusha T - VA
Jay Electronica - New Orleans, LA

Smh..........

Twitter.com/djRBI
Instagram.com/DJ_RBI

"I'm That Guy", Mike G (J Beez)

16580 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:02 PM

20. "http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/pictures/picture-18238-1372868646.pn..."
In response to Reply # 19

http://www.spin.com/sites/all/files/pictures/picture-18238-1372868646.png

Mau777
Charter member
2780 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 02:41 AM

54. "lol"
In response to Reply # 20

nuff said
---
If you release what is within u, what u release will save you. If you do not release what is within u, what u do not release will destroy u.

www.pitchblackgold.bandcamp.com

Benedict the Moor
Member since Dec 06th 2011
1476 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:21 PM

24. "it's high profile trolling"

the actual substance of most of these articles is completely worthless

◦◦◦
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enp550.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iQBdCzZIftHZ2.gif

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:38 PM

28. "3 problems here"

>J Cole - Fayetteville, NC

dude is totally non-regional

>Pusha T - VA

has never repped or claimed the south too heavy

>Jay Electronica - New Orleans, LA

he himself has admitted to avoiding his southern past and his rap life was birthed in Detroit

none of those dudes are "Southern MC's"

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:59 PM

30. "the logic that allowed the clown yt boi to write the article in the 1st ..."
In response to Reply # 28

Please go fuck off

MajrLeaguer
Charter member
806 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:28 PM

35. "RE: 3 problems here"

>>J Cole - Fayetteville, NC

>dude is totally non-regional

He reps "The 'Ville" (Fayetteville, NC) in rhyme form. Often, in fact. Sounds regional to me.

>>Pusha T - VA
>
>has never repped or claimed the south too heavy

"I'm from Virgina!" - Clipse (aka Pusha T & Malice) ...

>
>>Jay Electronica - New Orleans, LA
>
>he himself has admitted to avoiding his southern past and his
>rap life was birthed in Detroit

Jay E mentions his 'Nolia origin/ influence in rhyme ie: "There they go/ there they go" on Exhibit C. He never shys away from being from New Orleans.

>
>none of those dudes are "Southern MC's"

Wrong. You seem to have a stereotype of what a "Southern MC" should look/ sound like.

Twitter.com/djRBI
Instagram.com/DJ_RBI

"I'm That Guy", Mike G (J Beez)

16580 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:40 PM

37. "RE: 3 problems here"
In response to Reply # 35

>>none of those dudes are "Southern MC's"
>
>Wrong. You seem to have a stereotype of what a "Southern MC"
>should look/ sound like.

pretty much most of OKP does. that good ol' east coast bias

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:52 PM

38. "yep"

>>>Jay Electronica - New Orleans, LA
>>he himself has admitted to avoiding his southern past and his
>>rap life was birthed in Detroit
>
>Jay E mentions his 'Nolia origin/ influence in rhyme ie:
>"There they go/ there they go" on Exhibit C. He never shys
>away from being from New Orleans.

totally. just from listening to his rhymes, never looking that much into his backstory otherwise, he reps NO pretty fucking hard actually - ive been basically unaware of his D connections.

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:56 PM

40. "jay e mentioned magnolia in this very song lol"

Amritsar
32093 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 10:42 AM

59. "LOL .... spell it out for him "

>>>J Cole - Fayetteville, NC
>
>>dude is totally non-regional
>
> He reps "The 'Ville" (Fayetteville, NC) in rhyme form. Often,
>in fact. Sounds regional to me.
>
>>>Pusha T - VA
>>
>>has never repped or claimed the south too heavy
>
>"I'm from Virgina!" - Clipse (aka Pusha T & Malice) ...
>
>
>>
>>>Jay Electronica - New Orleans, LA
>>
>>he himself has admitted to avoiding his southern past and
>his
>>rap life was birthed in Detroit
>
>Jay E mentions his 'Nolia origin/ influence in rhyme ie:
>"There they go/ there they go" on Exhibit C. He never shys
>away from being from New Orleans.
>
>>
>>none of those dudes are "Southern MC's"
>
>Wrong. You seem to have a stereotype of what a "Southern MC"
>should look/ sound like.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:39 PM

47. "SMH. I will never get this logic of what makes you a Southern MC"

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 05:02 PM

49. "loud gas? bands and turning UUUUUUUUUUP?"
In response to Reply # 47

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Amritsar
32093 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 06:58 AM

58. "you know? "
In response to Reply # 47

interlopers man

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:30 PM

26. "horrible article "
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 06:11 AM

56. "^^^^^ "
In response to Reply # 26

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:35 PM

27. ""look at me, i'm different" -spin"
In response to Reply # 0

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 01:40 PM

29. "oh please...there is a lot of room to be unimpressed"
In response to Reply # 27

and i thought the last paragraph specifically was thoughtful and true

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:07 PM

31. "the last paragraph is the worst part"
In response to Reply # 29

It's code.

Heads like Soderberg, Noz, David Drake and others get upset when old guard ideas and techniques get legitimated because it's in direct contrast to the SHITTY rappers they promote and validate under the pretense it's cutting edge

I don't think since 'Bis' 2nd Round KO have sissies got so upset over brag battle rap

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:09 PM

32. "This."
In response to Reply # 31

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:39 PM

36. "You nailed it"
In response to Reply # 31

These are the same stuffed shirts that on the one hand tell me Big KRIT sucks while bigging up awful Gucci Mane proteges.

Noz at least has an amazing knowledge base from which he is pulling from, so while I often don't agree, I at least feel like I am getting an educated opinion.

David Drake and Brandon Soderberg? Total fuckin lames.

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:19 PM

44. "RE: You nailed it"
In response to Reply # 36

>These are the same stuffed shirts that on the one hand tell
>me Big KRIT sucks while bigging up awful Gucci Mane proteges.

Yep....

>Noz at least has an amazing knowledge base from which he is
>pulling from, so while I often don't agree, I at least feel
>like I am getting an educated opinion.

Yep...

>David Drake and Brandon Soderberg? Total fuckin lames.

I think a lot of the other side of my brethren have been plenty shameless in championing ignorance as the expense of talent. It's like people are not allowed to dig both 2 Chainz and Lupe...It has to be one against the other...

I've had knock-down debates with these folks...On the low (and ironically enough) it started with the Diplomats, who looking back were 10 times better than anything that they hold up now...

But I remember it all....Bigging up Jim Jones and calling Nas lame....This is their children...

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:18 PM

34. "childish dismissal aside..."

it's still better than "look at me i refuse to think for myself bc i dont want to be left out"

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:54 PM

39. "c'mon phil..it ain't THAT serious"
In response to Reply # 34

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 04:46 PM

48. "not at all..."
In response to Reply # 39

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 06:12 AM

57. "Not better at all. Two sides of the same silly coin."
In response to Reply # 34

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:30 PM

46. "Perfect summary"

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 02:12 PM

33. "RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you when I heard it I wasnt impressed . The only thing people are talking about is how he named names.

At least he was smart enough to stay on his own level.

If he had said umm Nas, Jay Kanye, or Em

then he would have gotten more respect from me...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Aug-14-13 03:24 PM

45. "RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ..."
In response to Reply # 33
Wed Aug-14-13 03:25 PM by murph71

>If he had said umm Nas, Jay Kanye, or Em
>
>then he would have gotten more respect from me...

He said Nas, Jay, Andre 3000 and Em....And in the context of "respect, but I'm coming for your spot" type shit...Dude then went harder at his own peers (Drake, J Cole, ect...) because they are the acts that kids deem the new rhyme stars alongside himself...

davidd
Member since Feb 08th 2005
3 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 10:04 PM

51. "RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ..."
In response to Reply # 45
Sun Sep-08-13 10:06 PM by davidd

Hey,

David Drake here. Sorry some of you guys feel that way about my writing.

1. I wrote (positively) about Big KRIT before he was covered by any major publication, to my knowledge.

2. I don't think that's a particularly fair characterization of opinions that I hold. If you have a question about something specific I've wrote, it's easy to reach me & I welcome discussion.

Thanks guys.

Li Mu Bai
Member since Sep 11th 2007
1891 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 10:23 PM

52. "RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ..."
In response to Reply # 51

*crickets*

I respect you for coming here and addressing the K.Dot fanboys in here.

I listened to the verse and for the life of me couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. he ain't kill shit. he just growled some names. and like you said it was a verse perfectly tailored to the internet jocking age and a generation desperate to have their own Nas or Jay.

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

davidd
Member since Feb 08th 2005
3 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 10:36 PM

53. "RE: For those who didn't Like Kendrick's verse, Spin Mag agrees with ya ..."
In response to Reply # 52
Sun Sep-08-13 10:37 PM by davidd

Ha! To be clear, I didn't write the Spin piece. And I disagree with Brandon about many many things. But I do lurk on a few mbs, including okp, and saw my name.

I thought the Control verse was cool.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Sep-09-13 05:27 AM

55. "But.....he.....eh. I'm gone"
In response to Reply # 33

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Lobby The Lesson topic #2832243 Previous topic | Next topic