Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2828997

Subject: "What is the best story-telling rap album?" Previous topic | Next topic
Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: What is the best story-telling rap album?"

Which album do you think is the best over-all story telling album, along with the one with best songs on it? Thinking about it, I don't think this type of album has been perfected in rap yet. Any day someone could drop a story better than any of these. Still, a good group of albums I feel, but I'm stymied as to which is best. What say you?

Poll result (20 votes)
The Equinox by Organized Konfusion (0 votes)Vote
undun by The Roots (4 votes)Vote
12 Reasons to Die by Ghostface Killah & Adrian younge (0 votes)Vote
A Prince Among Theives by Prince Paul (8 votes)Vote
Disposable Arts by Masta Ace (2 votes)Vote
Good Kid m.a.a.d City by Kendrick Lamar (6 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What is the best story-telling rap album?
Aug 05th 2013
Nah I mean one continuous story
Aug 05th 2013
I'd make the argument for MBDTF
Aug 05th 2013
oh also, undun was MASTERFUL in one very strange aspect
Aug 05th 2013
Good argument for Dark Fantasy
Aug 05th 2013
I'm hoping it'll be "And Then You Shot Your Cousin"
Aug 05th 2013
You think that'll be a story album too? That'd be great.
Aug 05th 2013
can't really go up against established classics
Aug 05th 2013
Moonlighting is a good honourable mention. Others are
Aug 05th 2013
Masta Ace A Long Hot Summer is one of my favs
Aug 05th 2013
I did too
Aug 05th 2013
Wish I could vote for 2: Prince & Disposable Arts
Aug 05th 2013
Disposable Arts
Aug 05th 2013
Wait, what??
Aug 05th 2013
A Piece of Strange by CunninLynguists.
Aug 05th 2013
The Gates is one of the best post-century Hip Hop songs period
Aug 05th 2013
does OB4CL count??
Aug 05th 2013
I feel Cuban Linx is less narrative driven
Aug 05th 2013
Any Face solo joint.. Imma roll with The Diary
Aug 05th 2013
Ready to Die ain't an option?
Aug 05th 2013
"I, Phantom" belongs on this list n/m
Aug 05th 2013
a prince among thieves, followed by undun
Aug 05th 2013
Mr Scarface Is Back!
Aug 05th 2013
RE: What is the best story-telling rap album?
Aug 06th 2013
Capital D & The Molemen "Writer's Block: The Movie"...
Aug 06th 2013

princeguy
Charter member
977 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: What is the best story-telling rap album?"
In response to Reply # 0

THE GREAT ADVENTURES OF SLICK RICK

stop playing.

Princeguy reviews:

"No pretentiousness.

No pompous re-interpretations.

Sometimes, a movie is just a movie. You work hard for your money.

The decision is yours.

See and enjoy what YOU like."

Errol Walton Barrow
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:54 AM

3. "Nah I mean one continuous story"
In response to Reply # 1

"The Great Adventures" is a classic, but I'd say the distinction is the difference between episodic television verses serial television. I want to know what is the best 'serial' rap album, where all the songs are about one story.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'd make the argument for MBDTF"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-05-13 09:45 AM by Nodima

but I'll just leave it here, off to the side.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/133594-kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

Of the options, it's hard to go against my sentimental favorite, Disposable Arts. And I'm a bit surprised that De la Soul Is Dead was left off of here, though I suppose it's a bit more abstracted as most of the storytelling happens outside the context of the music. They're definitely telling a story on that one, though.

Without those two, and again with respects to the Ace man, I'm actually surprising myself a little and going with the Kendrick album. Prince Among Thieves was an amazing accomplishment but it's not an especially engaging storyline, as was sort of proven when Masta Ace came with A Long Hot Summer and something felt *just a little* off compared to DA.

6. Kanye West - MBDTF: 9.72
30. De la Soul - ...Is Dead: 9.01
43. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city: 8.95
81. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts: 8.70
84. Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves: 8.67
110. The Roots - undun: 8.35
120. Subtle: For Hero:For Fool: 8.31
282. Organized Konfusion - Equinox: 7.87
302. Ghostface Killah - 12 Reasons to Die: 7.54

Also, I'd like to throw some love Subtle's "For Hero: For Fool" record's way. It's some ol' anticon. bullshit, but it's probably the pinnacle of that bullshit. Was a stunning, confounding, perennial experience for a budding pot/music head.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "oh also, undun was MASTERFUL in one very strange aspect"
In response to Reply # 2

that is, I discovered pretty early on in the review process that if you made a playlist consisting of the album played in CD sequence followed by in storyline sequence, it became a sort of remarkable existential experience.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/152037-the-roots-undun/

"Prince Paul’s A Prince Among Thieves started with the death of it’s main character Tariq, but followed with a chronological story of how he arrived there. The Roots have decided to Memento the experience, doing everything backward. They’ve also stipulated that every voice on the record is inside Redford’s head, delivering different interpretations of the events and ideas leading to his death much as a person’s brain plays against itself. But what’s really interesting, to me, is what happens when you play the album itself backwards, essentially forcing the story to play chronologically. In both formats, the album begins with the protagonist asleep, on one end a physical death (“Redford Suite”) and on the other metaphorical (“Dun”). In either format, “Lighthouse” and “The OtherSide” act as guiding lights for the character; in reverse, “Lighthouse” finds Redford adrift in the ocean of urbanity, anticipating his demise with “The OtherSide” revealing his welcoming attitude towards death (a theme throughout the record).

If heard according to the tracklist, the inversion of these concepts makes equal sense, with Redford wondering what the worth of life is before finding himself facing an appraisal soon after. Many of the songs work this way, playing dual roles depending on what order you choose to experience them, and it makes for a really interesting album. The best expression of this duality is in the “Redford Suite”, which can be heard as either: A) Redford’s soul leaving his body and ascending / descending (the third and fourth movements seemingly leave this up to the listener to decide) to its destined spiritual resting place or B) the tumultuous nature of Redford’s dreams, from which he awakens to the daily stress of having two brothers, one dead and one incarcerated who anticipates Redford’s joining him soon."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Errol Walton Barrow
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:39 AM

6. "Good argument for Dark Fantasy"
In response to Reply # 2

I feel the reason I never took it as a story telling narrative is because there wasn't a separation between Kanye the character and the real guy. Also, there seemed to be a disjointed feel at times, like the guy in "Power" is different than the character in "All of the lights," who is different than the braggart in "Monster", with there being no narrative to make one lead to the other.

I guess I'm saying that instead of going from point A to point B (or point B to point A in the case of undun), MBDTF seems like an expansive, tessellated portrait --a house with many doors, with the general theme being the problems with the excesses of fame. Your review is mostly correct on the album as a whole though.

As for De La Soul is dead, I guess my excuse is that the songs don't tell a story, I kinda liken it to Little Brother's "The Minstrel Show" a great album, but the whole details of them being on a tv show and their frustrations on the network is handled in skits instead of the songs. Still, De La soul is dead is a good call on your point.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:01 AM

4. "I'm hoping it'll be "And Then You Shot Your Cousin""
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Errol Walton Barrow
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:44 AM

7. "You think that'll be a story album too? That'd be great."
In response to Reply # 4

But I felt I read that it was going to be more upbeat and light-hearted. Is that true or did I day-dream that up?

-------

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5461 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:51 AM

8. "can't really go up against established classics"
In response to Reply # 0

but i think Moonlighting (and even brooklynati to a lesser degree) deserves honorable mention here

Errol Walton Barrow
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:38 AM

12. "Moonlighting is a good honourable mention. Others are"
In response to Reply # 8

I,Phantom by Mr. Lif, and The autobiography of kirk jones by Sticky Fingaz. They've been some good ones over the years.

-------

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:11 AM

9. "Masta Ace A Long Hot Summer is one of my favs"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked it better than disposable arts...

maro
Charter member

10. "I did too"
In response to Reply # 9

However, I actually heard it before DA so I think that might be why.

werd.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Wish I could vote for 2: Prince & Disposable Arts"
In response to Reply # 0

Was just listening to Thieves yesterday.

https://digife.com

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:41 AM

13. "Disposable Arts"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince is the popular choice and I like that album but the concept was better than execution in my opinion.

Not to mention the main MC isn't fit to carry Masta Aces weed.

Skits just took up to much of the time on Prince as well.

Love the Xzibit joint though.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4865 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 12:34 PM

14. "Wait, what??"
In response to Reply # 13

>
>Not to mention the main MC isn't fit to carry Masta Aces
>weed.

Are you talking about Brewin??? No way is that accurate.

Personally, even as an Ace fan, I prefer Brewin all day every day.

I wouldn't be mad if someone said they preferred Ace...but what you said above seems a little extreme.

As far as the topic-

For me, it would be tough to pick between Prince, DA, and I, Phantom.

I really don't think Undun even belongs in the conversation. They fumbled the execution of a great idea in a big way. "Each emcee is the voice of the same character" <<<< HUGE copout. Not only that, but it made the story completely uninteresting.

Had they not explained the story, no one would have even caught that it was a story. Just a boring album.

Hell, someone on here once broke down how they thought Game Theory was a story album, and it made more sense.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "A Piece of Strange by CunninLynguists."
In response to Reply # 0

that shit is still amazing and you catch some parts of the story you didn't everytime you listen to it.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18111 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 06:14 PM

19. "The Gates is one of the best post-century Hip Hop songs period"
In response to Reply # 15

Tonedeff did his thing on that shit

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 01:08 PM

16. "does OB4CL count??"
In response to Reply # 0

if so, that.

and i'm gonna throw Relapse in the hat too...

Errol Walton Barrow
6186 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 01:45 PM

17. "I feel Cuban Linx is less narrative driven"
In response to Reply # 16

it's more episodes of life of a drug dealer. "Spot Rushaz" has a narrative push, but alot of the other songs are descriptive character sketches to me.

Relapse is a good honourable mention though.

-------

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 01:53 PM

18. "Any Face solo joint.. Imma roll with The Diary"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 06:35 PM

20. "Ready to Die ain't an option?"
In response to Reply # 0

The fuck?

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 06:48 PM

21. ""I, Phantom" belongs on this list n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/seandammit

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 06:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "a prince among thieves, followed by undun"
In response to Reply # 0

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 07:21 PM

23. "Mr Scarface Is Back!"
In response to Reply # 0

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 12:29 AM

24. "RE: What is the best story-telling rap album?"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't vote for it but that 12 reasons to die album gets better with every listen.

PROMO
Charter member
30817 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 12:46 AM

25. "Capital D & The Molemen "Writer's Block: The Movie"..."
In response to Reply # 0

deserves mention.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2828997 Previous topic | Next topic