Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2827129

Subject: "Jigga man getting the criticism he well deserves (Link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jigga man getting the criticism he well deserves (Link)"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2013/07/25/why-jay-z-has-no-desire-to-be-our-generations-harry-belafonte/

This past weekend, Jay-Z and Beyonce attended a Trayvon Martin rally in New York City, standing in solidarity with the slain teen’s family, their lawyers and Al Sharpton. Later that night, Jay-Z and Justin Timerberlake closed out their sold-out “Legends of the Summer” concert at Yankee Stadium by dedicating the song “Forever Young” to the 17-year-old whose death has sparked international outrage.

Jay-Z spoke about the anger he felt upon hearing of George Zimmerman’s acquittal and how he sees America’s race relations in a recent interview with Rap Radar’s Elliot Wilson. While it’s disappointing to hear the rapper minimize the power of racism yet refreshing to hear him speak so passionately about the nonsensical “Stand Your Ground” laws, the most revealing part of the interview is Jay-Z’s comments related to civil rights activist Harry Belafonte. Explaining why he took offense to Belafonte’s critique of his lack of social responsibility, Jay-Z says, “My presence is charity. You know how many people are inspired by my story? Period. Cause it’s actual. It’s realized. It’s not hypothetical.”

Until now, no statement has more succinctly captured his outlook on social responsibility: “my presence is charity” explains it all. Jay-Z compares himself to President Obama as an inspirational figure who offers hope to people globally. He makes it clear that self-actualization and the ability to achieve massive success against all odds are powerful community contributions on their own.

These statements probably won’t come as a surprise to many who long ago stopped waiting for Jay-Z and hip-hop artists like him to mirror the activism of their elders. Those folks won’t be holding their breaths in anticipation of him and Kanye West boycotting Florida as many media outlets have been reporting. But this statement does explain why the music mogul prides himself on mentoring up-and-coming talent; he is committed to cultivating “the crop of next new legends” and celebrating the culture that made them who they are.

Ironically, this was at the core of Belafonte’s critique of Jay-Z and wife Beyonce. When asked to name “the enemy,” he responded: “Unbridled capitalism. The concentration of money in the hands of a very small group is the most dangerous thing that has ever happened to civilization.” In other words, it’s not enough that icons like Jay-Z, Beyonce and President Obama have been able to actualize the American Dream. Belafonte calls for something far more radical – a paradigm shift that critiques capitalism itself.

The relationship to capitalism is the fork in the road where Jay-Z and Belafonte will never meet; one man (Jay-Z) cherishes the throne that capitalism made him an heir to whereas the other man (Belafonte) believes the throne itself should be critiqued and transformed (or perhaps even dismantled). This intergenerational debate between two living legends is not merely a personal one; it gets at the heart of what divides the civil rights generation from the hip-hop generation. Where and when, if ever, will the two meet?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lay z thinks he matters by being in person
Jul 30th 2013
when he said that...I busted out laughing at that dude
Jul 30th 2013
hov did that so hopefully they don't have to blah blah blah
Jul 30th 2013
yea Jay on some Bullshit that concert shit reminded me
Jul 30th 2013
His PRESENCE is charity?
Jul 30th 2013
Out of Touch
Jul 30th 2013
can't believe he said that bullshit
Jul 30th 2013
The GD Post (Link)
Jul 30th 2013
The reason the responses are different...
Jul 30th 2013
      can't spin it regardless...
Jul 30th 2013
      Like you said, it doesn't make a difference
Jul 30th 2013
      shit, i think this statement about Obama is worse
Jul 30th 2013
           Yep.
Jul 30th 2013
So much for being Che Guevera with bling on.
Jul 30th 2013
...he's confused
Jul 30th 2013
on some 'My presence is my present kizz my ass' steeze
Jul 30th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 04:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lay z thinks he matters by being in person "
In response to Reply # 0

if that is the case then we all belong especially as black people.

i think the knock against Jay is that he is a money hungry power tripping ego feasting turkey as to a person from the Hood who knows how cold that business is and when folks turn on you then its a wrap and since Jigga is on top, this is the time to use that forum, don't wait until you don't count anymore and then get all social.

personally to me Belefonte and Jay Z are Illuminati Senior and Junior however that is for a different day and thread and time or inbox, however Harry is right this time about Jay Z and Beyonce.

when you got that kind of audience. you have to use that base. Michael Jackson did and lets not act like Jay Z and Beyonce aren't following his blueprint of success.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 04:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "when he said that...I busted out laughing at that dude"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-30-13 04:32 PM by liveguy

Your presence is charity? Really????

Like...I get what your saying, man....

You came from nothing and are now on Forbes list due to your hard work and effort and thoughtful means of marketing yourself and your brand.

Top shelf example of entrepreneurial-ism!

The definition of it!

You made it.....that's what up and worth commending.

But just because you are 'present' somewhere/anywhere, now you are a philanthropist?????

GTFOH, dawg!

Like you really on yourself that hard, man? lol

Your example is great, but most kids that look up to you won't know the ACTUAL information needed to do what you did.

Now if you actually dealt with them directly...mentored all those people you say are being led by your example, THAT would be a form of charity, I guess....but just because you step in a room and show your face don't make you Andrew Carnegie, nigga.

You aint Jesus, dawg!

"I heal the sick and raise the dead.....just by being alive" lmao!

FOH!

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 04:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "hov did that so hopefully they don't have to blah blah blah"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Jul-30-13 04:37 PM by philpot

>Your example is great, but most kids that look up to you won't
>know the ACTUAL information needed to do what you did.
>
>Now if you actually dealt with them directly...mentored all
>those people you say are being led by your example, THAT would
>be a form of charity, I guess....but just because you step in
>a room and show your face don't make you Andrew Carnegie

i been tryna tell ppl this shit for years about him, at best i was a hater, at worst an undercover racist

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yea Jay on some Bullshit that concert shit reminded me"
In response to Reply # 0

of when Patrice Oneal was making fun of lady Gaga on O&A for talking about illegal immigration in her concert but want dare make a song about some real shit cause it might mess up her sales.

Jay just made a whole album and he didn't say shit about Trayvon or either way close to the situation but you found time to diss a legend in Harry Belafonte.

I mean come on Jay...you don't want to fuck up your pockets.. You have been about image and money above all just admit that shit and keep it moving. Don't act like he don't have a great point.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 05:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "His PRESENCE is charity?"
In response to Reply # 0

That is the single most egotistical thing I've ever heard. Like... that's a new planet of ego he's created. That's impressively self important of him.

Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 05:49 PM

6. "Out of Touch"
In response to Reply # 5

Dude is out of touch with reality man..

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 05:51 PM

8. "can't believe he said that bullshit"
In response to Reply # 5

smhX10000

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 05:49 PM

7. "The GD Post (Link)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-30-13 06:09 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

Look at how many people here have already said the nerve of this nigga and then go look at the GD post. Shit is night and day.

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12079052&mesg_id=12079052&listing_type=search#12083394

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 06:31 PM

10. "The reason the responses are different..."
In response to Reply # 7

Is because the GD post shows his whole quote, and this article only takes a piece of it.

Here's the whole thing, not that it necessarily makes a difference:

I’m offended by that because first of all, and this is going to sound arrogant, but my presence is charity. Just who I am. Just like Obama’s is. Obama provides hope. Whether he does anything, the hope that he provides for a nation, and outside of America is enough. Just being who he is. You’re the first black president. If he speaks on any issue or anything he should be left alone…I felt Belafonte he just went about it wrong. Like the way he did it in the media, and then he big’d up Bruce Springsteen or somebody. And it was like, “whoa,” you just sent the wrong message all the way around…Bruce Springsteen is a great guy. You’re this Civil Rights activist and you just big’d up the white guy against me in the white media. And I’m not saying that in a racial way. I’m just saying what it is. The fact of what it was. And that was just the wrong way to go about it.

----

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 06:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "can't spin it regardless..."
In response to Reply # 10

here's the interview, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8S3xZbRNI

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 07:05 PM

13. "Like you said, it doesn't make a difference"
Tue Jul-30-13 07:06 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

That is an arrogant ass comment to make but I guess we helped create him.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 07:08 PM

14. "shit, i think this statement about Obama is worse"

"If he speaks on any issue or anything he should be left alone…"

our democratically elected leader should not be held accountable for what he says & by extension, i guess, his policies

*shudder*

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 07:33 PM

16. "Yep."
In response to Reply # 14

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 06:19 PM

9. "So much for being Che Guevera with bling on."
In response to Reply # 0

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 06:58 PM

12. "...he's confused"
In response to Reply # 9

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 07:20 PM

15. "on some 'My presence is my present kizz my ass' steeze"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2827129 Previous topic | Next topic