Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2823329

Subject: "Is there a Rick James box set collection?" Previous topic | Next topic
gritty
Member since Jan 25th 2013
1574 posts
Sat Jul-20-13 01:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is there a Rick James box set collection?"

I got a few of his albums but I'd like own all of his albums; albums like Wonderful and Glow. But I'd like to just buy all of them. Anybody know if he's got a box set collection?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Is there a Rick James box set collection?
Jul 20th 2013
This?
Jul 21st 2013
i have both sets the 1994 set which was double CD Set
Jul 22nd 2013
Thanks y'all
Jul 23rd 2013
sweet and sexy thing was the only thing from the flag
Jul 23rd 2013
      Oh ok. Was The Flag his last album on Motown?
Jul 23rd 2013
      RE: sweet and sexy thing was the only thing from the flag
Jul 23rd 2013
Throwback Rick James Article
Jul 23rd 2013
yeah David Rtiz wrote the bulk of that
Jul 23rd 2013

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Sat Jul-20-13 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Is there a Rick James box set collection?"
In response to Reply # 0

i remember my uncle bought a double cassette called bustin in the late 90's and thought i saw some cds for it.

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sun Jul-21-13 07:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This?"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.amazon.com/Bustin-Out-Best-Rick-James/dp/B000001EIY/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374410266&sr=1-1&keywords=rick+james+bustin

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jul-22-13 09:56 PM

3. "i have both sets the 1994 set which was double CD Set"
In response to Reply # 0

with David Ritz liner notes which were on point
and then the other double set which had the long extended version of "standing on the top the full remix.

Motown does crack head crap like that put this version out and then that one as to it all out at once.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

gritty
1574 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 01:37 AM

4. "Thanks y'all "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-23-13 01:38 AM by gritty

I was thinking that Motown had since rereleased albums like Wonderful or The Flag. Like a whole box set of all of his albums.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 01:50 AM

5. "sweet and sexy thing was the only thing from the flag "
In response to Reply # 4

put on the greatest hits album.

wonderful was on warner brothers and they don't have the rights to it.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

gritty
1574 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 01:55 AM

6. "Oh ok. Was The Flag his last album on Motown?"
In response to Reply # 5

I forgot that by Wonderful, Rick had left Motown and moved onto Warner Brothers. Wonderful is a great album on it's own merit in my opinion.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 02:05 PM

9. "RE: sweet and sexy thing was the only thing from the flag "
In response to Reply # 5

man....my uncles clowned me for buying the flag cd....it was so throw together that my uncle told me that rick mainly used air beats and everytime id play that cd, my uncle would start right up clowning me back in 1993....it was funny cuz i got em back by putting the acapella to wave your freak flag on repeat. i ended up trading that cd back in the end....lol....

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 09:13 AM

7. "Throwback Rick James Article"
In response to Reply # 0

http://longform.org/stories/rise-and-fall-of-a-super-freak

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu

Why I still fuzz with the Lesson
http://open.spotify.com/user/brothersport86/playlist/3DhEhilho77Z0UCPbJlEJf

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Jul-23-13 01:57 PM

8. "yeah David Rtiz wrote the bulk of that"
In response to Reply # 7

however once he was in the joint he had the Mob handling his publishing and in the past decade songs been licensed to Old Navy and other outlets that are used for your local shops at the mall.

Rick had his demons and tripped out a whole lot, however not only did he keep the lights on at Motown, he also helped R&B Music out big time and he kept the funk going.

he didn't water his thing done to be more accessible.

living through that era when Black Artists hitting and making it big as they do now was a once at a time situation.

he was royality in Buffalo.

if he was White he would have been 3 times as big, because he had the whole nine as a ROck Star the talent, music and the charisma.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2823329 Previous topic | Next topic