Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2814741

Subject: "Lets look back at & talk about this XXL Freshman of 2009 List" Previous topic | Next topic
judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lets look back at & talk about this XXL Freshman of 2009 List"

-B.O.B
-Kid Cudi
-Charles Hamilton
-Asher Roth
-Blu
-Curren$y
-Wale
-Mickey Factz
-Ace Hood
-Cory Gunz

Looking at the list now in 2013... how surprised are we about who has blown up. Who has progressed as an MC. who has progressed as an artist. who has digressed as an artist. who has fallen off.

this class was a very strong group.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My opinion on all of them.
Jun 21st 2013
RE: Lets look back at & talk about this XXL Freshman of 2009 List
Jun 21st 2013

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 12:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My opinion on all of them."
In response to Reply # 0

-B.O.B (Played the industry game, switched his style up and won. I'm glad he still makes mixtapes, cause they're usually good. Wonder where he'd by if he hadn't gotten "Airplanes" because the label hated Lupe's version? I hate using this term, but he's a sellout...)

-Kid Cudi (Became successful in an original style. He's erratic and makes bad musical choices at times, but his pride is his strength. Still wish he'd make music w/Emile & Plain Pat...they had magic.)

-Charles Hamilton (ugh... bad choices and too much pride killed him. He put out damn near 100 dope songs tho...but he'll always be known for lying about Dilla (which was dumb, and his own fault) and getting punched in the face (which was dumb, and his own fault). Wish he'd work in an actual studio again...

-Asher Roth (Making a hit was the worst thing to happen to him. Almost like he didn't really earn a spot...so ever since he's been paying dues and waiting...but became better lyrically in the process. He also did 10 songs w/Pharrell last year, if Def Jam were smart they would listen to them and find the hit.)

-Blu (dope then, dope now...long he doesn't sell demos, and then turn around and sell a finished version I have no problems with him. It would be nice if he made an album that didn't sound like it was recorded in a basement...sometimes it has charm, but c'mon)

-Curren$y (is the most consistent rapper today. You know what your getting in his work. No dropoffs, no letdowns. Hip-Hop doesn't applaud consistency like it should. If he wants I could see Currensy making albums for another 15 years w/a solid, buying fanbase and the occasional hit...like Too $hort. Pilot Talk 3 PLEASE?)

-Wale (did what he had to do..."heads" didn't buy into him, so he turned his poems about women into hits...then once he pull you in tries to hit you with the knowledge. It's an odd plan, but it works. With Ye & Cole doing well...and a Jay-Z album a week after him, will The Gifted get any attention after it leaks?)

-Mickey Factz (Is my personal disappointment of this list. Spent 3 years on Atlantic w/o making a hit, now he's starting from the bottom. He also made the best mixtape album that you didn't listen to last year "Mickey Mause". Need to drop an actual album.)

-Ace Hood (I'm not a fan of his music, but he continues to make radio hits...he just not for me)

-Cory Gunz (So dope lyrically....I don't know if he has bad management or what the problem is. How didn't he even get a single after Wayne too "A Milli" from him? Wasted talent, plain and simple...)

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

TheNewCarter
Member since Aug 16th 2011
27 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 02:06 AM

2. "RE: Lets look back at & talk about this XXL Freshman of 2009 List"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-21-13 02:07 AM by TheNewCarter

The 2010 list had even more standouts.

J. Cole, Jay Rock, Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Nipsey Hussle, Pill, OJ da Juiceman, Fashawn, Freddie Gibbs and Donnis.

Cole is one of the biggest names in rap along with Wiz and Big Sean. Nipsey is about to release a highly anticipated mixtape. Fashawn still does his thing in the underground. Jay Rock is getting his credit as the most overlooked member in the biggest group in Rap, Freddie Gibbs is touted as a top 5 lyricist and fans are eager to hear his new post-CTE work along with the rest of his Madlib sessions.

The only duds were Pill (who had a decent run on Self Made Vol.1), OJ (who, more than anything, doesn't care to Rap) and Donnis.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2814741 Previous topic | Next topic