Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2814614

Subject: "Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16576 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
Thu Jun-20-13 02:40 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

Ranking Ye's albums from worst to best and at #7 just SMFH

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/06/ranking-kanye-wests-albums-from-best-to-worst/#galleryS

8. Cruel Summer

The best teams are said to be greater than the sum of their parts. Cruel Summer actually feels lesser than the sum of its parts. Released on September 14, just six days before the end of Summer 2012, the G.O.O.D. Music collective album is widely considered a flop, despite the fact that it boasts two smash hit singles in "Mercy" and "Clique," two legitimate bangers in "Cold" and "New God Flow" as well as an all-star remix to Chief Keef's massive "I Don't Like." Cruel Summer's undoing is its grandiosity, from the R. Kelly album opener to that unbearable "Sin City" spoken word interlude. It also suffers from lack of focus. Who exactly is part of the G.O.O.D. Music crew? One of the most prominently featured artists on the album, 2 Chainz, is not. Nor are Ma$e, Ghostface, Raekwon, Marsha Ambrosius. You know who is a part of the crew? Kanye West. Guess who we wish was on the album more? —Rob Kenner

7. Late Registration

Generally, people who love Late Registration more than any other Kanye album rank Graduation at the opposite end of the list. People who think Graduation is peak-Kanye think Late Registration is the weakest of the solo releases. But the first time I heard Late Registration, I heard the Kanye West album I'd wanted to hear since before College Dropout arrived: A lush, beautiful hip-hop chamber pop album, chock full of brilliant hooks and train-stopping lines that could vacillate from hilarious ("Gold Digger") to serious ("Diamonds") to poignant ("Heard 'Em Say") and double-back again, into expertly distilled Kanye braggadocio.

The best part about revisiting Late Registration—an album that ages beautifully, and doesn't date itself at every possible juncture (hello, Graduation, with your Daft Punk and your Chris Martin and your painful Weezy verse)—being reminded of all the album's contributors that everyone often forgets. Sure, you've got Adam Levine doing the opening hook, Jay-Z throwing up the Roc, and Jamie Foxx doing his Ray Charles schtick on "Gold Digger," but what about Nas, on "We Major," on the same album as Jay, at the height of their feud?! Or Killa Cam's knock-knock verse on "Gone"? Brandy? Lupe Fiasco's career-launching verse on "Touch The Sky"? And, most notably, the presence of producer Jon Brion throughout this entire album, lending Kanye a level of technical expertise and pop mastery that he had yet to achieve on his own. Clearly, this album was crucial in terms of Kanye's career development. Is it perfect, though?

No. Hell no. The Paul Wall/Common/Game midsection suite is a trifecta of clunker beats and clunker guest verses. And do us Late Registration fans really think that any of these songs match up to the sheer genius of "Can't Tell Me Nothing" or "Champion," or that "Heard 'Em Say" compares to "Good Morning"? Of course not. But that's also why we love Late Registration: It's imperfect. It's flawed. In a lot of ways, it's quaint.

It's the last Kanye album to follow any kind of conventions (like skits, or Cam'Ron verses, both of which now seem downright precious). It's too long by at least five tracks. But it's also the last time we heard the mortal, rapper-Kanye on the mic, as opposed to stadium-status Kanye, broken-hearted-robot Kanye, outcast monster-Kanye ("KanYeti"?) or demon-deity Kanye. And the socially consciousness Kanye raps—from the "Allah-u Akbar and throw 'em some hot cars" bars that start the album, to the first verse of "Roses," to "Diamonds," and so on—are as contradictory and nuanced as they'd ever be, at least until the extremist reckoning that is Yeezus. But the reason we really love this album is best summed up by the album's closer, "Gone." It's odd. Why put Cam'ron on a closing track? Or let Consequence deliver a filler verse? Especially on this, the original Kanye-Otis Redding sample song, that already has so much going on?

Kanye's resounding response is Why not? In many ways, it's just another solid rap song, and yet, it transcends another-solid-rap-song norms, with Kanye slapping together bars too clever for their own good, and overindulging his guests. But at the end of the track, he runs through a theoretical scenario in which he abandons rap and imagines what that would be like for us, the listeners. Given the drastic tidal shift Graduation represents, the foreshadowing couldn't have been more prescient. Because that Kanye, the mortal rapper Kanye, did basically disappear after that. Years later, it still stands out as one his best verses. And it's been forgotten by many, too. "Gone" in its own way. But it's representative of the smallest (but a key) reason why we love Late Registration: Because you don't know how to. And that's fine by us. —Foster Kamer

6. 808s & Heartbreak

In one of the most fan-challenging moves since Neil Young recorded a vocodered version of his folky 1960's classic "Mr. Soul" for his proto-electronica 1982 album Trans, Kanye scrapped rap for his fourth album. Relying heavily on the 21st-century version of the vocoder, Autotune, he sang his songs this time—fully realized melodies, emotive torch songs, over a cool, futuristic backdrop of all-synth R&B arrangements.

It was shocking at the time; some people thought it was a joke. But the melodies are very strong, the pain Kanye was in is tangible and moving, and as you look around today's musical landscape, 808s & Heartbreak stands as the most prominent blueprint for what's happened in the five years since it came out. —Dave Bry

5. College Dropout

Say what you will about the skits, about Kanye's drums, about the "New Workout Plan." The College Dropout was a great album. It wasn't just that Kanye West proved himself as a solo artist with the vision to become a major star. It was the moment of impact that would create a sea change in hip-hop and open the floodgates for entirely new approaches to what rappers rapped about.

He'd already shifted the sound of hip-hop on The Blueprint, blending soul music history with contemporary pop instincts; now it was time to rewrite the rules of lyrical content in hip-hop, reaching the intersection of the streets and the classrooms, the backpackers and the ballers, the underground and the pop charts. As he said on "Family Business," "A creative way to rhyme without using nines and guns."

Many of his followers focus on the latter part, but the first part—creativity—was key, too. In retrospect, it's harder to see how radical his first record really was; The College Dropout opened up a number of lanes that artists rushed to fill, and as a result, its thematic novelty is harder to see through the thicket of history. But it remains a startlingly unique, diverse record, and one of the most relatable records ever made. Funny, flawed, and emphatically human, The College Dropout may not have fully expressed what made Kanye who he was. But it created the space for him to do it. —David Drake

4. Yeezus

Yeezus might not go down as Kanye West's most popular album—if anything, it seems explicitly designed to alienate all kinds of fans, some of whom have run this week to J. Cole's more traditional (read: inspired by The College Dropout) approach to hip-hop, or Mac Miller's streamlined product of the dorm room canon. Rap has changed a lot since Kanye first broke out of the gate as a solo artist nearly a decade ago; back then, no major hip-hop artist would make an album about the humble beginnings of a College Dropout, and make his struggle to break into the music industry the central drama of his album. Today, those everyman stories are commonplace, so of course Kanye's taking a different tack. Where he began his career desperate for approval, he's now seemingly looking to piss fans off. No one at his level of success would think of releasing a record as confrontational and divisive as Yeezus. These days, the rappers we celebrate are successful by consensus. Kanye breaks the mold of what rap today sounds like, intending to provoke rather than soothe. The album also shows just how much he's mastered the art of bridging—or in this case, aggravating—the underlying seams of conflict between his audiences.

As time unfolds, this record will be accepted as one of his best records; despite its flawed, grotesque structure, its abrasive, brusque mood, and its unrepentant anger, there is something substantial here. It is a wholly unique album that seems to take up physical space. It won't be what you spend your summer hearing at the club (although "Send It Up" has a shot) and it isn't—thankfully—the righteous political rage many expected on the release of "New Slaves." But his lyrics will sustain, even the corny ones. Sure to be a favorite of critics ("abrasive" is critical manna, word to Death Grips), in the real world, Yeezus will divide his audience. But everyone will remember it. —David Drake

3. Watch the Throne

Two years ago, when Kanye and Jay-Z's Watch the Throne came out, and the Internet jerked its collective knee, it was one of those times when I hated everybody. (Not like, hated hated, but, y'know.) Post after post, some by writers and critics who I really liked and respect, slammed the album for its materialist bent. It was the summer of Occupy Wall Street, and the super-rich rappers' relentless flossing rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Hua Hsu dismissed the album as "an hour-long quest for the authority to rule from above, a justification to luxuriate." The thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the relentless focusing on the lyrics and the lyrics alone, and the the refusal to see beyond thematics—"They're just rapping about how rich they are," to paraphrase the general complaint—and see just how well they're rapping about how rich they are. And the fistful of politics inherent in the fact that two black millionaires were doing so in 2011. And, most of all, how just drop-dead awesome the music was. Funky, glittery, soulful, gorgeous, the album sounds as good as anything recorded in the past five years. Pure, exhilarating fun, front-to-back. You're not supposed to listen to music with your knees, jerks. You use your ears. —Dave Bry

2. Graduation

If Ye's third album can be best described in one word it would be "aspirational." What makes it so special is that here was an artist who was on top of his game and on top of the game, an artist who, by any measure, was peaking in his artistic prowess, an artist who had by all means "arrived," yet he dreamed of more. It wasn't "Look at me, I've got my money right." It was, "Wait till I get my money right." The common man dreamed of being like Kanye, yet Kanye treated himself like a common man striving for perfection.

"Stronger" gave him another Billboard smash, "Can't Tell Me Nothing" was a sorely needed street anthem, and the release-day showdown with 50 Cent was the promotional spotlight to highlight his achievement. Kanye's career can often be described as inspirational, but Graduation's stadium-status hugeness stand as a lesson in never settling with good—because it's simply not good enough. The album's sound was inspired by Kanye touring with stadium-rock acts like U2, which helped him realize that intricate lyrics don't translate well to crowds of ten thousand, so he adjusted his lyrical style and added synthesizers to the production fill up the space.

The album's effect was best exemplified on the album closer "Big Brother." The song served as an ode to Jay-Z, one that cast Hov in the highest light. In truth, at that point, Kanye wasn't Jay's underachieving underling anymore, he was his peer—accomplishing in three albums what it took Jay six to do. But placing Jay on a mantle made perfect sense for Kanye; he's always needed something to strive for, a greater goal to achieve. The day Graduation was released was the day Kanye had been waiting on his whole life: It was the day he became legendary. But it wasn't a victory lap, it was the dawn of a new day where Kanye would shine on a whole new level. It was, "Good Morning." —Insanul Ahmed

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

When Kanye West delivered Graduation, it felt as though we were witnessing an artist at his zenith. His musicianship was polished, his rapping vastly improved, his vision clear and (relatively) concise, his aesthetic dialed and sharp. But the reality is, Graduation was his Rubber Soul. And as all true Beatles fans know, that album is simply where things started to get interesting; that’s where things started to get weird.

The turmoil and pain that Kanye would endure in the following year, with the death his mother and end of his engagement, would fuel 18 months of touring and the production of 808s & Heartbreak, an album of singing which alienated his rap base, but still scored massive radio hits like “Heartless,” and a tumultuous relationship with Amber Rose.

However, neither the masochistic schedule nor the gut wrenching album nor charged romance salved his wounds. And his unwinding came to it’s head in a drunken, if totally awesome, interruption of Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the 2009 MTV Music Awards. Perhaps by accident, or perhaps as an unconscious machination, Kanye had created a situation where for the first time he was embattled by both the mainstream, livid over Swift-gate, and his core hip-hop fans who felt abandoned by 808s autotuned stylings. And so he absconded.

Holed up in a Hawaii recording studio—surrounded by the hip hop legends who had inspired him, like RZA, Q-Tip, Pete Rock, and his most compelling contemporaries, like Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and even Jay-Z—Kanye poured himself, with complete abandon, into the music. His aim: An undeniable piece of art, so compelling it would eclipse all his perceived missteps and reassert his prominence in, his absolute necessity to, the culture. And he was successful. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy articulates his gnarled narrative, lining up and addressing all his detractors and distractors in short form. The album’s overtly triumphant lead single “Power” lets it be known in no uncertain terms that his is a talent that must be dealt with, a talent we must cherish and be grateful for. He delves deeper into his feelings of abandonment and alienation from America on “Gorgeous” and “Lost In a World" (and its outro) reflecting further, and less specifically, on the social climate that cast him out, before careening back to the self; to his personal life. Songs like “Runaway” and “Blame Game” walk thin lines between the raw and the refined, the candid and the grotesque, humanizing Kanye’s most inhumane impulses as he works out his love with Ms. Rose.

By the album’s conclusion it’s quite clear that while Graduation was certainly an exquisitely-cut jewel—so precious in it’s tidy perfection—it only scratched the surface of what Kanye West can create. Off-kilter and uncomfortable, and created under a unique duress, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a messy masterpiece, far more interesting and involved than anything Kanye had done prior. And it set the tone for everything that would follow. —Noah Callahan-Bever

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

OutKast, Gang Starr, UGK, Mobb Deep and Eightball & MJG

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL at LR being 7, and Yeezus NOT being 6-8
Jun 20th 2013
Late Registration is my favorite
Jun 20th 2013
Terrible list
Jun 20th 2013
MBDTF & Graduation alternation between my 1-2
Jun 20th 2013
This list is not good at all. lol
Jun 20th 2013
RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)
Jun 20th 2013
Jun 20th 2013
this is bad, even for them lmao
Jun 20th 2013
It's funny how there's no real consensus over his album rankings
Jun 20th 2013
i've noticed this, too.
Jun 20th 2013
probably a symptom of all his albums being markedly different
Jun 20th 2013
      lol @ the synopsis of 808's
Jun 21st 2013
I want to say yall was wrong
Jun 20th 2013
eh i can buy this list.
Jun 20th 2013
Wow, fuck this writer, I agree with the editor here:
Jun 20th 2013
Word!
Jun 20th 2013
lol poor foster, he doesn't know what he's talking about
Jun 20th 2013
Yeah, the writer was off there, smh
Jun 22nd 2013
I think this was a great summary of the different albums
Jun 20th 2013
this list is almost as bad as it could possibly be
Jun 20th 2013
well they got the LR/Graduation part right
Jun 20th 2013
man you should really revisit 808s w/ your mind open to it
Jun 21st 2013
      just tried this morning. first time in six years.
Jun 21st 2013
http://goo.gl/eZHiX
Jun 20th 2013
If late registration isn't your number 1 don't even talk to me.
Jun 21st 2013
Jun 21st 2013
Jun 21st 2013
Jun 21st 2013
Yea, Scarface's The Fix is the album that quote should be applied to
Jun 21st 2013
it was 2005 when they ended the beef, officially
Jun 21st 2013
Why is Cruel Summer listed as a Kanye album?
Jun 21st 2013
he's responsible enough for production or features that it counts
Jun 21st 2013
Big ups to everyone who has 808's in the top 4
Jun 21st 2013
I disagree with the order of the albums...
Jun 22nd 2013
Jun 22nd 2013

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "LOL at LR being 7, and Yeezus NOT being 6-8"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Late Registration
2. College Dropout
3. Graduation
4. MBDTF
5. Watch the Throne
6. 808's
7. Cruel Summer
8. Yeezus

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 06:46 PM

15. "Late Registration is my favorite "
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Jun-20-13 06:47 PM by makaveli

I didn't think there were any people in the world who would put it at 7.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 02:55 PM

2. "Terrible list"
In response to Reply # 0

IMO it's

1. Late Registration
2. MBDTF
3. College Dropout
4. Graduation
5. Watch the Throne
6. Yeezus
7. 808's
8. Cruel Summer

Anything less would be uncivilized (c)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13181 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:01 PM

3. "MBDTF & Graduation alternation between my 1-2"
In response to Reply # 0

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. Graduation
3. The College Dropout
4. Late Registration
5. Watch The Throne
6. Cruel Summer
7. Yeezus
8. 808s & Heartbreak

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "This list is not good at all. lol"
In response to Reply # 0

But my Ye tastes are totally different, and I know my lack of love for Graduation ain't gonna win me any fans.

1. College Dropout
2. 808s
3. Late Registration
4. MBDTF
5. WTT
6. Yeezus
7. Graduation
8. Cruel Summer

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

1. MBDTF
2. Graduation
3. Late Registration
4. WTT
5. 808's
6. College Dropout
7. Cruel Summer
8. Yeezus

that's my order, but i happen to like all his albums. the only reason cruel summer is above yeezus (right now) is because "new god flow," "clique," and "mercy" were straight FIRE. i actually happen to like yeezus overall more than cruel summer tho.

16576 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:44 PM

7. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 5

>1. MBDTF
>2. Graduation
>3. Late Registration
>4. WTT
>5. 808's
>6. College Dropout
>7. Cruel Summer
>8. Yeezus

This is basically my order. just switch graduation and late registration.

>
>
>that's my order, but i happen to like all his albums. the only
>reason cruel summer is above yeezus (right now) is because
>"new god flow," "clique," and "mercy" were straight FIRE. i
>actually happen to like yeezus overall more than cruel summer
>tho.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:42 PM

6. "this is bad, even for them lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 03:51 PM

8. "It's funny how there's no real consensus over his album rankings"
In response to Reply # 0

Like some people have College Dropout #1 while others have it below #5, same goes for Late Registration etc.

It's interesting.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 04:26 PM

10. "i've noticed this, too. "
In response to Reply # 8

>Like some people have College Dropout #1 while others have it
>below #5, same goes for Late Registration etc.
>
>It's interesting.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "probably a symptom of all his albums being markedly different"
In response to Reply # 8

CD: Straight soul rap
LR: Grandiose soul rap
Grad: Maximal pop music
808s: Bullshit
MBDTF: Narrative epic
Cruel Summer: Party jams and bummer themes
Yeezus: Sex dungeon rave

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 04:42 AM

22. "lol @ the synopsis of 808's"
In response to Reply # 18

>CD: Straight soul rap
>LR: Grandiose soul rap
>Grad: Maximal pop music
>808s: Bullshit
>MBDTF: Narrative epic
>Cruel Summer: Party jams and bummer themes
>Yeezus: Sex dungeon rave
>

^ i agree with all of this, btw.

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 04:17 PM

9. "I want to say yall was wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

I want to claim my W for telling yall Yeezus was better that LR

but I cannot

simply because I refuse to agree with David Drake

good day to you all.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 04:43 PM

11. "eh i can buy this list."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-20-13 04:49 PM by BrooklynWHAT

everyone has a different Kanye album and from most folks I talk to, Late Registration is either really high or really low. i'm surprised Complex didn't put Graduation #1 though.

my list is

1. MBDTF
2. Yeezus / Late Registration
4. Graduation
5. Watch The Throne
6. Dropout
7. 808s
8. Cruel Summer

<--- Big Baller World Order

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 04:50 PM

12. "Wow, fuck this writer, I agree with the editor here:"
In response to Reply # 0

> The Paul Wall/Common/Game midsection suite is a
>trifecta of clunker beats and clunker guest verses. >This is insane. "Drive Slow," "My Way Home" and "Crack Music"
>are as strong a string of songs as Kanye has ever recorded.
>But I'mma let Foster finish.]

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Nodima
15294 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:12 PM

16. "Word!"
In response to Reply # 12

~~~~~~~~~

aero
Member since Dec 27th 2011
41 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:46 PM

20. "lol poor foster, he doesn't know what he's talking about"

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Sat Jun-22-13 02:01 AM

33. "Yeah, the writer was off there, smh"

Otherwise, a pretty dope summary of the album

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 04:58 PM

13. "I think this was a great summary of the different albums"
In response to Reply # 0

after LR thought

>> mortal, rapper-Kanye on the mic, as opposed to stadium-status Kanye, broken-hearted-robot Kanye, outcast monster-Kanye ("KanYeti"?) or demon-deity Kanye

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 06:45 PM

14. "this list is almost as bad as it could possibly be"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Nodima
15294 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:14 PM

17. "well they got the LR/Graduation part right"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-20-13 07:15 PM by Nodima

as far as if one's in one place, the other tends to be in the exact opposite spot.

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy: 9.72
2. Late Registration: 8.93
3. The College Dropout: 8.49
4. Watch the Throne: 8.31
5. Graduation: 7.95
6. Yeezus: 7.79
7. Cruel Summer: 6.73

8. 808s & Heartbreaks: 3.38

~~~~~~~~~

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 04:36 AM

21. "man you should really revisit 808s w/ your mind open to it"
In response to Reply # 17

i mean i've seen you re-rank a lot of stuff over time.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Nodima
15294 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 07:47 AM

23. "just tried this morning. first time in six years."
In response to Reply # 21
Fri Jun-21-13 07:47 AM by Nodima

beats still hot. I've gotten used to shitty singers using autotune now so it's not as uncomfortable a listen as it used to be, but Kanye on 808s is still probably the worst offender. "Paranoid" and "Robocop" still the only songs I ever want to hear again really. If I still agree with anything I wrote about it (when I wasn't actually doing reviews so it was just my thoughts unfiltered), it's this:

"The man doesn't seem to have figured out the autotune from the perspective of artist; where Lil' Wayne, T-Pain or someone like Cher approach the autotune plug-in with an attitude like "what if this weren't on?", Kanye seems to never take that into account and gives a phoned in performance. His reason for using the autotune is legitimate conceptually; it is his performance behind the mask that is suspect. It's like saying anyone could put fucked up Joker paint on and start acting like Heath Ledger. Some people aren't qualified to do certain things and Kanye is in that position here."

He figured that out by "Runaway".

~~~~~~~~~

Benedict the Moor
Member since Dec 06th 2011
1476 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:34 PM

19. "http://goo.gl/eZHiX"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-20-13 07:42 PM by Benedict the Moor

http://goo.gl/eZHiX

◦◦◦
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enp550.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iQBdCzZIftHZ2.gif

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 08:06 AM

24. "If late registration isn't your number 1 don't even talk to me. "
In response to Reply # 0

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

16576 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 11:16 AM

25. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

My rankings

1. Late Registration
2. MBDTF
3. Graduation
4. WTT
5. College Dropout
6. 808's & Heartbreak
7. Cruel Summer
8. Yeezus

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 01:08 PM

26. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

1. MBDTF
2. LR
3. College Dropout
4. 808s
5. Yeezus
6. Watch the Throne
7. Graduation
8. Cruel Summer

This was really hard actually. Idk if i agree with this list at all.

It's too early to decide where Yeezus falls on this list. I think it's in the middle somewhere. I love CD but I dont re-visit it hardly ever, and at this point it's only getting props for it's legacy. 808s is the wild card. I think it's a great album (I know many disagree) but it's hard to place it among his catalog because it's so unlike the rest.

The only thing i feel confident about are #1-2 and #7-8. I know a lot of you really like Graduation, but i felt like it was kanye at his lowest point lyrically. And to me it has the least replay value of his albums.

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 01:23 PM

27. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

How was 2005 the height of the nas/jay feud?

Whoever wrote the LR review needs a swift kick in the head.

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

Anonymous
Charter member
23220 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 02:22 PM

28. "Yea, Scarface's The Fix is the album that quote should be applied to"
In response to Reply # 27

Nm

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 03:33 PM

29. " it was 2005 when they ended the beef, officially"
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Jun-21-13 03:44 PM by DJR

And it was around the time LR came out too. The height of that beef was 2001-02, which was a whole different era.

Regardless, he couldn't have possibly been even listening to rap, if he's that far off with his timeline.

Our culture has really gone the way of people just talking out there asses on everything though. Music, sports....people who weren't even listening or watching at the time, always want to act like retroactive experts on old shit. It's ridiculous.

I spazzed on my cousin who was born in like 1990, on FB today. He's putting up these dumbass rankings of basketball players, most of whom he never watched play, talking all kinds of wrong shit ("well, Olajuwon only won 1 'chip and people say he's great!"), acting like some bball historian. Had to check him, shit's an epidemic at this point.

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 04:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "Why is Cruel Summer listed as a Kanye album?"
In response to Reply # 0

it's a compilation right? (i haven't heard it)

my order

1. Late Registration
2. Graduation
3. College Dropout
4. Watch the Throne
5. Beautiful Dark twisted fantasy
6. 808's
?. Yeezus

I put Yeezus last just because i don't know it as well as i do the others. gotta give it a few years to see where it stands compared to the rest of his work.

it's crazy how dope his output as been, not counting Yeezus, i put 808's last and it's an album i love.

--sig--
n/a

Nodima
15294 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 09:25 PM

32. "he's responsible enough for production or features that it counts"
In response to Reply # 30

though it's not totally scientific i figure if you get 7% credit on the album through features or production credits you can sort of claim an album. It gives Raekwon and RZA a certain distinction for their contributions to 36 Chambers for example, or Ghostface to OB4CL...

~~~~~~~~~

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 05:24 PM

31. "Big ups to everyone who has 808's in the top 4"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-21-13 05:27 PM by Kid Ray

1. Late Registration 10/10
2. Graduation 10/10
3. Yeezus 10/10
4. 808's 9/10
5. Watch the Throne 8.7/10
6. MBDTF 8.5/10
7. Dropout 8.3/10

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Sat Jun-22-13 02:09 AM

34. "I disagree with the order of the albums..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-22-13 02:09 AM by Ketchums

Obviously, Late Registration as number 7 is an abomination. But for the most part, I wasn't *too* mad at the list. I realized that with Kanye, it's actually pretty tough to sequence all of his albums because of how diverse his discography is. With how different his albums are from each other, it's really a matter of tastes.

That said, I think the albums were rated in terms of scope/impact, instead of actual worst vs. best. I acknowledge the impact that "808s & Heartbreaks" had on the industry, for example, but no way in hell that it's *better* than Late Registration.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Jun-22-13 05:38 AM

35. "RE: Complex Mag Ranks Kanye's Albums (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

Those r some of my folks over there....But that 'Ye list is side-eye worthy....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Lobby The Lesson topic #2814614 Previous topic | Next topic