Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2814167

Subject: "Omar & the Banshees are BOSNIAN RAINBOWS" Previous topic | Next topic
supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 08:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Omar & the Banshees are BOSNIAN RAINBOWS"

The first time I heard that Deantoni Parks was joining The Mars Volta...I immediately just wanted to hear Omar, Deantoni and MeShell work on something together (maybe even bring Cedric).

But instead...we got a postcard from the edge in the form of "Noctourniquet" (which I still liked).

But then nothing.

Then news of Bosnian Rainbows being a new band AND the "democracy" that Omar had promised in subsequent TMV albums pretty much signalled the end of TMV.

And as a fan of TMV...listening to the Bosnian Rainbows album is kind of difficult.
There are some good ideas there. It's fun to hear Omar challenge himself to keep it concise and write "poppier" songs. But it's hard to get past Terri Genderbender's Siouxsie Sioux tribute vocals.

I mean this schitt sounds dead on like something you'd hear in between Missing Persons and Altered Images in 1982...all that post punk gothy schitt that I vibed to, but w/ a few listens under my belt it doesn't take long (probably 3-4 songs) before I'm going...HE BAILED ON TMV FOR THIS!?!?!?!

The song "Morning Sickness" sounds like Toro Y Moi on downers, man.
I don't need this kind of juxtaposition already. Usher still has a fauxhawk,right?
Yeah...it's too soon.

Hey, Omar's Puerto Rican...he's allowed to be squirrely and mercurial and passionate...I suppose it's a Latin thing, or maybe just an Omar thing (looks at Wiki page for Omar). Yeah.

Let me also say this...I LOVE SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES.
This though is TOO derivative (like dude is method acting as Puerto Rican John McGeoch on guitar).

I don't have any real high hopes for Cedric's ZAVALAS project.

Too bad I couldn't have just got an Omar side project with Omar, Deantoni & MeShell.

I'm gonna keep this album around and give it a couple of more spins.

s.blak
Tourniquet Man

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2814167 Previous topic | Next topic