Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2812820

Subject: "So Amel Larriuex is serious about naming her album Ice Cream Everyday" Previous topic | Next topic
Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So Amel Larriuex is serious about naming her album Ice Cream Everyday"

Like, for real, for real.

http://www.essence.com/2013/06/12/exclusive-amel-larrieux-talks-new-album-and-five-year-absence

Amel Larrieux broke out onto the music scene back in 1995 as one-half of Groove Theory. Her effortless vocals and thoughtful songwriting, coupled with Bryce Wilson’s production produced hit songs like “Never Enough” and “Tell Me.”

Larrieux released four albums since Groove Theory disbanded in 1999—including her most recent, 2007’s Lovely Standards, a collection of classic jazz songs. She released "Afraid," her first single in five years this week (listen in below). ESSENCE.com spoke with Larrieux to discuss her five-year absence, what makes a song album-worthy and her forthcoming album, Ice Cream Every Day.

ESSENCE.com: On your Facebook page, you wrote that the new album title, Ice Cream Every Day, is about finding something to indulge in every day. What's a “treat” for you?
AMEL LARRIEUX: Honestly, I find that I’m happiest when I’m outdoors. If I wasn’t singing, I could see myself as a park ranger. I love fauna and flora, all of it. I’ve gone to the Redwoods twice and I’m so envious of the rangers’ jobs. Nature is like an incredible miracle around you. It gives you room to breath, think, to not do anything at all. My mood can be so gloomy but when I get outside and tune into nature it makes me happy. I try to indulge in it as much as I can when I’m working.

ESSENCE.com: This album has been, what, five years in the making? When can we expect to hear it?
LARRIEUX: I can say now that there’s a date. The album will be released August 27 and the first single, "Afraid," will be out on June 13 . It took five years for a number of reasons. First, I’m raising two amazing teen daughters—which is a job. I’m not one of those people that say I can do everything. Throughout making the album, I’ve had to stop one thing or the other to focus on what needed my attention at that time. Funny enough, it was easier when my kids were younger but now there are different things I have to be available for, questions I have to answer.

And there were other things. We’ve moved a few times. We’ve always had our own studio and, when we started moving around, it made it difficult. We’re independent. I don’t have a machine behind me. I have a beautiful, small group of people that I work with. Not having a studio at home created some problems. That can make it take a little longer. Lucky for me there’s the Internet and people who support me. Having that support extends how long you can take as an artist and gives you new life because more people are constantly discovering you.

ESSENCE.com: In terms of the creative process, what makes a song album-worthy? How do you decide what stays in the notebook and what gets recorded?
LARRIEUX: It doesn’t always have a bunch of reasoning behind it. Often it’s just how I feel. Sometimes there will be something, a lyric or another piece of work we’re doing that’s just dragging along and Laru is very good at remembering things we’ve worked on that we should pick back up. The way I work is from my heart. I’m probably way too in touch with my feeling but it informs who I am as an artist, who I am and how I write. How I feel effects the way I’m going to write or the song I want to present.

ESSENCE.com: When did you first realize that you had a talent for writing songs?
LARRIEUX: I’ve been writing songs before I could even speak. I would just make them up. My mom is a professor of history and a researcher. All of her work was around chronicling things with tape recorders and she would record them. Before long, I was writing my own stuff. The moment I realized it could turn into a job was when I was working for Karen Durant, a music publisher. I was her assistant. I was actually labeling the cassettes. Bryce Wilson was signed there as a producer. He was trying to get a group together and shopping a deal. He said, “Well…look do you want to try writing one of the tracks?” When he heard it, he said why don’t you just be the singer too. And that was the beginning of it.

ESSENCE.com: So Groove Theory was born just like that?
LARRIEUX: It wasn’t quite that fast. There were years when we were in a demo deal. We signed to Sony when I was 19 and the album didn’t come out until a few years later but it didn’t feel prolonged. My nature is very Buddhist. I never really thought about the future so I don’t remember being too upset about it. I knew I was broke but I was always able to eat and pay my rent. I kind of just went with the flow. It never dawned on me that anything incredible was happening.

ESSENCE.com: You’re currently touring. What can the public expect out of an Amel Larrieux show?
LARRIEUX: I describe the atmosphere at my shows as energetic and vibrant. It’s what I give and definitely what I get from the audience. I’m lucky to have that kind of support base. They’re great. We interact and enjoy the moment. I have a show coming up at B.B. King’s in New York (June 20th). I like the venue and I’m excited to perform.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
who? i could have sworn i saw her face on a Milk Carton
Jun 13th 2013
fam...
Jun 17th 2013
lol
Jun 17th 2013
I hope its not boring
Jun 13th 2013
I like that new track "Afraid" its nice and mellow
Jun 13th 2013
RE: I like that new track "Afraid" its nice and mellow
Jun 13th 2013
Yup
Jun 17th 2013
RE: So Amel Larriuex is serious about naming her album Ice Cream Everyda...
Jun 13th 2013
So I'm the only one who likes Laru Larrieux's production for
Jun 13th 2013
RE: So I'm the only one who likes Laru Larrieux's production for
Jun 13th 2013
i hope everyone took a sec to check out the new track
Jun 14th 2013
man, HELL YEAH
Jun 17th 2013
I like that title
Jun 17th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "who? i could have sworn i saw her face on a Milk Carton"
In response to Reply # 0

nobody cares, her Macy Gray and Queen Pen are bagging Chitlins at the local drive thru

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 01:32 PM

10. "fam..."
In response to Reply # 1

> nobody cares, her Macy Gray and Queen Pen are bagging
>Chitlins at the local drive thru

LOL!

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 08:39 PM

13. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Since 1976

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 04:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I hope its not boring"
In response to Reply # 0

like all the others.

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 04:45 PM

3. "I like that new track "Afraid" its nice and mellow"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-13-13 04:46 PM by Coco la chapelle

I love Amel Larrieux, Im looking forward to that album

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 07:35 PM

7. "RE: I like that new track "Afraid" its nice and mellow"
In response to Reply # 3

>I love Amel Larrieux, Im looking forward to that album

Co sign!

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
Slave-Stone Jam
Shanice Wilson-Discovery
Adrian Marcel-RS Presents..
Quadron-Avalanche

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 11:45 AM

9. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 3

It works.

GQ
Charter member
1369 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 05:24 PM

4. "RE: So Amel Larriuex is serious about naming her album Ice Cream Everyda..."
In response to Reply # 0

fuk dis.....and fuk LARU LARRIEUX for killin' the career of this queen........

"You don't like climbing trees?......You're missin' out." - Michael Jackson

"But Michael, you're a 44-year-old man now, what do you get out of
this?" - Martin Bashir

"Prince Michael II but we call him Blanket......because it's an expression I use

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 06:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "So I'm the only one who likes Laru Larrieux's production for "
In response to Reply # 0

her?

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Thu Jun-13-13 07:35 PM

6. "RE: So I'm the only one who likes Laru Larrieux's production for "
In response to Reply # 5

I'm a fan.

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
Slave-Stone Jam
Shanice Wilson-Discovery
Adrian Marcel-RS Presents..
Quadron-Avalanche

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Jun-14-13 07:09 AM

8. "i hope everyone took a sec to check out the new track"
In response to Reply # 0

rather than just jumping on the title, because it's actually pretty good - nothing groundbreaking, but definitely solid. Hopefully bodes well for the album as a whole...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

KennyFresh
Member since Mar 16th 2005
8362 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 01:34 PM

11. "man, HELL YEAH"
In response to Reply # 0

second best album title ever,
bowing down only to Ice Cream Castles.

http://FRESHselects.net - because if we amplify everything, we hear nothing.
http://twitter.com/FRESHselects
http://facebook.com/FRSHSLCTS

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 05:23 PM

12. "I like that title"
In response to Reply # 0

Ice cream is, um, cool...

However, it would have been even cooler if the actual ''treat'' she indulged in would have been ice cream. Like she come back all fat and shit after sitting around for years doing little but eating ice cream...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2812820 Previous topic | Next topic