Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2811777

Subject: "elton john appreciation post" Previous topic | Next topic
Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"elton john appreciation post"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_xAToFzck

the mans a musical genius

does it even matter?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yep one of my favs..
Jun 10th 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn2_8i26ys
Jun 10th 2013
YES - can we talk ALBUMS ?
Jun 10th 2013
Tumbleweed Connection is my shit
Jun 10th 2013
ya been bumping this since the post surfaced
Jun 12th 2013
      nope but I will now thank you lol
Jun 12th 2013
      NP - lemme knwo if you want that inbox
Jun 12th 2013
           I downloaded it bout to check it out I like stripped down stuff tho
Jun 12th 2013
      nope but I will now thank you lol
Jun 12th 2013
thebigfunk's elton john guide for the perplexed (c) thebigfunk industrie...
Jun 10th 2013
      thx for this
Jun 12th 2013
      good stuff thanks
Jun 12th 2013
      RE: enjoyed reading
Jun 12th 2013
great in the 70's hit and miss since
Jun 10th 2013
Elton more important artist than R. Kelly
Jun 12th 2013

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "yep one of my favs.."
In response to Reply # 0

ballad of a well known gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcvyikJUy8

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

rdhull
Charter member
33140 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn2_8i26ys"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzn2_8i26ys

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "YES - can we talk ALBUMS ?"
In response to Reply # 0

that get overlooked?
ive got his whole (read: WHOLE) discog on my HD and i cant even say ive listened to everything.

Rock of the Westies
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

terrific records. i guess they both went #1, but they certainly aren't GYBR level notoriety. i wore them out last summer.

what albums do i need to dust off and really sink my teeth in to tho?

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 03:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Tumbleweed Connection is my shit "
In response to Reply # 3

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 02:28 PM

7. "ya been bumping this since the post surfaced"
In response to Reply # 4

do you have the deluxe edition with all the piano demos?
its like an unplugged version of the album.
soooo good.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 02:43 PM

"nope but I will now thank you lol "

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 02:57 PM

10. "NP - lemme knwo if you want that inbox"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-12-13 02:57 PM by fontgangsta

honestly tho, if you've got a long-time affinity for this record, you might not like them
I know when i have a serious connection with some music, new versions of those songs normally fall flat for me just because of the emotional attachment to the orig.
but since im hearing this all together for (more or less) the first time, i think i actually like the stripped down versions better....certainly equally at least...eh, it prob depends more on my mood actually.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 11:40 PM

14. "I downloaded it bout to check it out I like stripped down stuff tho "
In response to Reply # 10

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 02:43 PM

9. "nope but I will now thank you lol "
In response to Reply # 7

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 07:04 PM

5. "thebigfunk's elton john guide for the perplexed (c) thebigfunk industrie..."
In response to Reply # 3

>Rock of the Westies
>Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

Yeah, these are amazing. Here's a quick rundown of his classic period with my own subject-to-change ratings:

Empty Sky/Elton John: these have a lot of crucial tracks but aren't really mandatory listening in terms of full albums (though the second is better than the first). Your Song, Border Song and Take Me to the Pilot are the hits on the eponymous lp, but don't sleep on Grey Seal, Bad Side of the Moon, and Sixty Years On.

The next run of albums is seriously one of the best in pop music history. Tumbleweed/Honky Chateau/Madman/Goodbye Yellow/Captain Fantastic/Rock of the Westies are just classic listening, and the two less successful lps - Don't Shoot Me and Caribou - are only "less successful" because they're too long and, relative to the other lps, have a bit too much filler. But even his filler here is smarter than your average bear's filler.

For what it's worth, I think you identified the two best "sleeper" albums, the ones ignored today, with RotW and Captain Fantastic. Why "I Feel Like a Bullet" from the former isn't recognized for the brilliant vocal performance it is, or "Curtains" from the latter for the epic that it is... errgh, I get angry just thinking about it. Despite Goodbye Yellow Brick Road's success, I still think it's overlooked for its deeper level of musical structure and conceptual coherence. It is essentially an album that digs into the dirt underneath the shiny exterior of American life (I think of it as the musical equivalent of David Lynch's Blue Velvet).

From Blue Moves onward, things get a lot more spotty. I used to defend more of his 80s catalog, but as I've grown older I've realized just how dated it sounded even for its time, and how terrible much of the songwriting is. If you're looking for full albums, you can skip these, or just put all the 80s stuff on shuffle and listen through at your leisure. The *only* one I'd encourage you to seek out is "The Fox" - it suffers from much of the same problems of his other '80s work (overproduced, half-baked songs), but there are some real bright spots (I like the "Carla" suite a lot).

The 90s were a bit better: Made in England is overproduced but easily has some of his best music-writing since the late '70s (see "Belfast" and "Latitude"). It isn't really until 2001's "Songs from the West Coast" that he recovered his groove; there's filler on this one, and a lot of it is still adult contemporary, but there's also some songwriting that would fit just fine with his classic era (the opening track, "I Want Love," "This Train Won't Stop..." and others). It's probably his first album since RotW where the top-notch stuff outnumbers the filler in quantity. "Peachtree Road" and "Captain and the Kid" are both solid albums - the former better than the latter - that deserve close listens. None of these albums are the daring version of Elton, but they have his ear for inventive melodies and smart progressions (if frequently weighed down by ponderous arrangements).

A few years ago I made a two-disc Elton set for myself of his "sleeper" tracks, including the 80s gems that are buried in his junk from the period. I don't think I ever posted it here - I'll see if I can dig it up sometime soon for kicks.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 02:31 PM

8. "thx for this"
In response to Reply # 5

and i would love that compilation!

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 04:05 PM

11. "good stuff thanks"
In response to Reply # 5

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

ceeq9
Member since Jul 21st 2005
871 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 11:08 PM

12. "RE: enjoyed reading"
In response to Reply # 5

hope to get all of Elton Johns catalog as well.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 08:58 PM

6. "great in the 70's hit and miss since"
In response to Reply # 0

and yet still a strong live performer and very talented cat.

i respect his talent. dug him working with thom bell a whole lot.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Wed Jun-12-13 11:38 PM

13. "Elton more important artist than R. Kelly"
In response to Reply # 6

Just better than Kellz period.It's the truth deal with it.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2811777 Previous topic | Next topic