Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2810151

Subject: "Happy Birthday Curtis Mayfield June 3 1942" Previous topic | Next topic
Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Happy Birthday Curtis Mayfield June 3 1942"

My Top Favorite Singer and Hall Of Famer.

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Chicago's best....
Jun 03rd 2013
Chicago's 2nd Best
Jun 03rd 2013
      lol gee i wonder who is #1
Jun 04th 2013
           lmao
Jun 04th 2013
School me on Curtis
Jun 04th 2013
I always recommend either his Curtis/Live album or ...
Jun 04th 2013
RE: School me on Curtis
Jun 04th 2013
Also for some Impressions albums
Jun 04th 2013
1. Curtis 2. Super Fly 3. Back To The World 4. Roots 5. Short Eyes
Jun 04th 2013
RE: School me on Curtis
Jun 04th 2013
to me his solo Greatness was his Sountrack work
Jun 04th 2013
      Kinda stale talking point, homie....
Jun 05th 2013
      i ain't said nothing wrong from my take
Jun 05th 2013
      Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums...
Jun 05th 2013
           RE: Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums...
Jun 05th 2013
           RE: Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums...
Jun 05th 2013
           Warren bounce turkey
Jun 05th 2013
RE: Happy Birthday Curtis Mayfield June 3 1942
Jun 04th 2013
curtis is the 3rd best act from the chi maurice white is 2nd
Jun 05th 2013

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 09:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Chicago's best...."
In response to Reply # 0

Meant more to folks than just music....His Impressions stuff is so underrated...

U already know...just peep below...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 09:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. " Chicago's 2nd Best"
In response to Reply # 1

RIP and I loved his music, soundtracks and what he meant.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 08:20 AM

3. "lol gee i wonder who is #1 "
In response to Reply # 2

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 07:42 PM

8. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 3

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 12:13 PM

4. "School me on Curtis"
In response to Reply # 0

Please share your top 2 Curtis Mayfield albums that you would recommend to someone who's never heard him before.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 12:23 PM

5. "I always recommend either his Curtis/Live album or ..."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Jun-04-13 12:24 PM by Ascension

the Curtis Mayfield and Impressions Anthology set..because some of his best songs were the songs he wrote when he was apart of the group

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Curtis-Mayfield/dp/B00004UDEA
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000002OLX

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 07:33 PM

7. "RE: School me on Curtis"
In response to Reply # 4

>Please share your top 2 Curtis Mayfield albums that you would
>recommend to someone who's never heard him before.

Most people would say Superfly, but I got to say, one of my favorite albums is Roots. This album and his first album, Curtis, defines Curtis Mayfield and showcases his views better than any of his other albums.

As one poster mentioned, Curtis Live. Not only do you have a live album that once you listen to it, it feels like you are sitting right there in the audience at the Bitter End. No other live album has a intimite feel like this. Also listening to the spoken dialoge between songs by Curtis, makes you see how cool he was.

A few honerable mentions would be Sweet Exorcist, (There's No Place Like) America Today, Short Eyes Soundtrack and Back To The World. You can't go wrong with this cat.

--------

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 07:42 PM

9. "Also for some Impressions albums"
In response to Reply # 4

I recommend,

This Is My Country, We're A Winner, The Young Mods' Forgotten Story, Check Out Your Mind!, The Fabulous Impressions and Keep On Pushing.

--------

BISON CLASS of 97
Member since Oct 19th 2004
7295 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 09:20 PM

10. "1. Curtis 2. Super Fly 3. Back To The World 4. Roots 5. Short Eyes"
In response to Reply # 4

Curtis Mayfield is probably the most under appreciated soul artist of the 20th century.

"I'm one of the world's great survivors. I'll always survive because I've got the right combination of wit, grit and bullshit."

© Don King

murph71
23113 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 09:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "RE: School me on Curtis"
In response to Reply # 4

Curtis Live, Roots, Superfly.....Start with those...Also, those 60s Impressions songs (his early group) are worth a buy...Try to find a greatest hits from that era....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 10:39 PM

12. "to me his solo Greatness was his Sountrack work"
In response to Reply # 4

to me he is the king of the soundtrack Superfly, eyes of laura mars, claudine, sparkle, a piece of the action, lets do it again.

I loved his strings and arrangements. he brought it on the sondtracks.

dig Roots and the Live album. however for me Mayfield and the soundtrack is where he truly shined.

loved his singles with the Impressions and some of the production he did on "the Five Stirsteps.

Much Props to the 2nd Greatest Artist Ever from the CHI. Chi town 2nd favorite

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 08:30 AM

13. "Kinda stale talking point, homie...."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Jun-05-13 08:39 AM by murph71

You've stated this a million times Maxx...And no one who actually knows a thing or two about Mayfield is parroting this agenda-driven view...

Mayfield's Impressions catalogue is just as important as his soundtrack work (that includes a bulk of the civil rights anthems like "This is My Country "Check Out Your Mind," "Choice of Colors," and "We're A Winner"...To continually dismiss the man's work pre-Superfly is puzzling...Hell, his 1970 solo album Curtis was groundbreaking..."(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" is pretty much genius...

Like I've said in the past, Mayfield's music meant more than just "hits" or moving the clubs....

And again....Mayfield's guitar style had a HUGE impact on funk, pop and rock music....Jimi Hendrix talked about the huge influence Mayfield had on him as a guitarist...And called him among his favorite axe man (check out his influence on songs like "Angel" and "Wind Cries Mary")...

In fact, he always shouted out the Impressions (Jimi on Curtis and his group---“I like the Impressions…they’re some people that need to be really, really respected. See, these are classical composers. I don’t care what their music sounds like today, because today, as things are happening at that particular time, the people that’s in that particular time don’t really know the value of it until it dies off. But now people really have to start learning the value of things as they’re living today.”)

Curtis wrote all of the songs, produced the music...And played most of the instruments...

I know you are going to try to turn this into another silly Curtis Mayfield vs. R. Kelly post...But I'm no longer going to dignify it...

It's all about legacies....That's all to it...When you have that on your side all the other stuff is just noise....

No disrespect, of course....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:34 AM

16. "i ain't said nothing wrong from my take"
In response to Reply # 13

i loved Mayfield as a kid. my homies who lived around my block when i lived in H town worshipped at the altar of curtis mayfield ok?

if you have been in my old hood you would have thought it
chi town south side with the love he got. 5 homies deep sanging curtis mayfield stuff like the world was ending at noon. mayfield, roger troutman, rick james,MJ, frankie beverly and maze and a few others had it like that around my way.

the impressions loved the singles were a winner and choice of colors are staples no doubt. jerry butler was mayfield's dean martin, loved butler.

i like curtis albums however his soundtracks and orchestrations moved me. musically he was in that Isacc Hayes barry white area of that full sound of sophistication.

you are entitled to who you think reigns in the chi just as i am entitle to whom i know rules the chi, nobody is right or wrong.

i know about his guitar playing and impact, hendrix, clapton and u think jeff beck all acknowledged him. i know john mayer loves his stuff.

its just his soundtrack stuff to my ears as a kid moved me far more. him and Aretha, gladys, the staple singers, now that is where to me he really shinned and with linda clifford.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41996 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:00 AM

14. "Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums..."
In response to Reply # 12

and knows something about the music.... would say his soundtracks are his best albums..

you sound ill informed.

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:03 AM

15. "RE: Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums..."
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Jun-05-13 11:06 AM by murph71

>and knows something about the music.... would say his
>soundtracks are his best albums..
>
>you sound ill informed.

Nah...don't get it twisted....Maxx is doing that shit all by design...It's a way to marginalize Mayfield to prop up Kellz....

It is what it is...Let's just let him boogie.....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:38 AM

18. "RE: Nobody who has actually heard his solo albums..."
In response to Reply # 15

i've never marginilized no curtis mayfield at all. matter of fact his guitar playing and his soundtrack work imo rank him really high.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:36 AM

17. "Warren bounce turkey"
In response to Reply # 14

because the stuff he did on those soundtracks with gladys knight and the pips, the staple singers and especially with Aretha Franklin on sparkle speak to that.

when it comes to sound tracks i got curtis mayfield right there with henry mancini.

jive turkey trying to tell what my ears here the nerve

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 12:57 PM

6. "RE: Happy Birthday Curtis Mayfield June 3 1942"
In response to Reply # 0

we the people that are darker than blue is my song.....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Jun-05-13 11:39 AM

19. "curtis is the 3rd best act from the chi maurice white is 2nd"
In response to Reply # 0

and you already know who is number 1 ARRUH!!!!!!!!!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2810151 Previous topic | Next topic