Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2808540

Subject: "Kendrick Lamar, A-Trak & Trinidad James spoke on drugs last week" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue May-28-13 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kendrick Lamar, A-Trak & Trinidad James spoke on drugs last week"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/25/kendrick-lamar-molly_n_3335959.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/atrak/license-to-pill_b_3306753.html
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2013/05/trinidad-james-admits-doing-drugs-is-not-right/

Soooooooo... whatchall think?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when was the last time drugs were openly "discussed" like this?
May 28th 2013
While the discussion prolly won't go anywhere
May 28th 2013
RE: Kendrick Lamar, A-Trak & Trinidad James spoke on drugs last week
May 28th 2013
This
May 28th 2013
      not his fault
May 29th 2013
           whose if anyones?
May 29th 2013
                the fans who lack comprehension
May 29th 2013
                     would the song work if the chorus wasn't the antagonist perspective?
May 29th 2013
                     not that deep. either a person listened attentively, or they didn't
May 29th 2013
                     jesus christ what is wrong with you?
Apr 27th 2014
this generation isn't brave enough to speak about why they use
May 29th 2013
are you kidding?
May 29th 2013
ehhhh... what generation ever was?
May 29th 2013
STRIKE ONE ON THE HEAVY STATEMENT HOME RUN SWING!!!
May 29th 2013
or Baby Boomers/Gen X-ers making billions off opiate prescription pills
Apr 27th 2014
Hell of an insinuation in my upping this
Apr 26th 2014
RIP DJ Rashad
Apr 27th 2014
      There was a cover up, now autopsy showing coke, heroine + xanax
Aug 08th 2014
           i cant judge fam
Aug 08th 2014

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8048 posts
Tue May-28-13 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when was the last time drugs were openly "discussed" like this?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-28-13 03:06 PM by bearfield

in the early 90's when raves and x were popular? was heroin discussed around the same time?

i don't think a-trak is the right guy to start the discussion. he is the definition of an "outsider" (white + canadian) and i don't even like that term but it applies to him. that said, he wrote a pretty thoughtful (yet unsolicited and probably unwarranted) letter that touched on some interesting points. i hope it actually creates dialogue instead of being the "hey this is probably worth discus-- oh wait kanye did something" story it seems like it will end up being

kendrick isn't really saying anything directly about it and actively avoiding actually discussing it (see: sway interview) other than saying "it's corny"

trinidad didn't really say anything either. came across a bit defensive. i don't know why xxl interviewed him

i don't know how much of a problem drug use is but then again i am about as far removed from any hip hop scene as someone not living in montana can be. there have been a shocking number of codeine OD's in the past 5-6 years (and there will be more) and we are about to enter an age where aged rappers are going to start coming down with lung cancer with alarming frequency (see: too poetic, camu, etc.). THAT is what scares me the most

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue May-28-13 08:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "While the discussion prolly won't go anywhere"
In response to Reply # 1

I think I'm most pleased at the comments coming from inside the culture, rather than from outside. And from three relatively different lanes within the culture(s). Unfortunately there really isn't a forum for the discussion to go any further than this though, until someone from outside picks up on it and takes the criticism too far. But maybe just maybe if there is more discussion from within it can prevent that type of thing from happening. I mean it's really just a couple more high profile OD's from getting a Time magazine feature and then... *sigh*

It was pretty much that outside criticism that shut down rave culture in the 90's. Once it gets really high profile everyone starts pulling the plug.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue May-28-13 03:04 PM

2. "RE: Kendrick Lamar, A-Trak & Trinidad James spoke on drugs last week"
In response to Reply # 0

Reminds me of the late 80's when you had folks like Dr. Dre and LL Cool J with anti-drug messages in the music.. but in retrospect, it was all for show. I mean.. these guys can speak out against molly and lean in interviews all they want, but 13 year olds are not reading their interviews.. at least not the well-written ones in reputable publications. They are listening to the music.. the hits..

I mean, random rapper/producer #1 can appear in a campaign against violence against women, but if he has a guest verse on a Chris Brown song, is known to associate with cats who talk about smacking hoes around in their music, and has some pretty questionable lyrics in his own music (which don't necessarily promote violence or rape, but don't help the situation either), then how effective and how genuine is the campaign?

Also, the drugs aren't the problem as they were made and made available independently of any music industry, scene, or culture. It's how the drugs and other things are glorified, used as lyrical crutches through popular slang, and made trendy through repetition, oversimplification, and trivialization. Basically, the level of education and information is lacking. This runs parallel with the level of lyrical complexity the younger hip hop audience is able to process. I'm still not even convinced that Swimming Pools effectively got across the message that was originally intended. Even a grown man such as myself who knows what it means finds himself singing that chorus when I'm on my way to getting FADED.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue May-28-13 08:25 PM

4. "This"
In response to Reply # 2

>I'm still not even convinced that Swimming Pools
>effectively got across the message that was originally
>intended. Even a grown man such as myself who knows what it
>means finds himself singing that chorus when I'm on my way to
>getting FADED.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Wed May-29-13 08:30 AM

6. "not his fault "
In response to Reply # 4

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed May-29-13 08:38 AM

9. "whose if anyones?"
In response to Reply # 6

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

5495 posts
Wed May-29-13 08:51 AM

10. "the fans who lack comprehension "
In response to Reply # 9

--------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed May-29-13 09:39 AM

12. "would the song work if the chorus wasn't the antagonist perspective?"
In response to Reply # 10

chorus' actually being the most memorable parts of songs, as the parts that are repeated most often. meaning if you listened to the song three times, you'd get to hear the antagonists perspecitve nine times saying the same lines, which by the end of the first you could memorize, but have to actually listen and decipher the verses to even get that the chorus is an antagonistic voice not a heroic one.

not that any of this went through KL's mind in the making of it, but intentional or not, it was created to have the affect. perhaps on the subversive so that you keep listening to it, until one day it does hit you that he's talking bout....

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

5495 posts
Wed May-29-13 10:58 AM

13. "not that deep. either a person listened attentively, or they didn't"
In response to Reply # 12

--------

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 08:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "jesus christ what is wrong with you?"
In response to Reply # 10

where did this dogmatic refusal to ever hold a damn rapper accountable for anything come from?

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Wed May-29-13 07:42 AM

5. "this generation isn't brave enough to speak about why they use"
In response to Reply # 0

drugs the way they do, honestly

until that happens, these anti-drugs messages ain't shit.

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

5495 posts
Wed May-29-13 08:31 AM

7. "are you kidding? "
In response to Reply # 5

--------

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed May-29-13 08:37 AM

8. "ehhhh... what generation ever was?"
In response to Reply # 5

And actually I think that rap has facilitated them to be more honest about it then ever though not in every lyric. What they are less realistic about is the consequences, though perhaps still not les than any previous generation. What do you think they are not addressing about their usage?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed May-29-13 09:13 AM

11. "STRIKE ONE ON THE HEAVY STATEMENT HOME RUN SWING!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 12:34 AM

15. "or Baby Boomers/Gen X-ers making billions off opiate prescription pills"
In response to Reply # 5

aren't honest enough about where their greed in overproducing those drugs is leading, who is consuming them, how quickly those drugs can become addictive, how expensive they make them to the consumer and where that consumer is going to go to satiate that need after they can no longer afford to buy those drugs.......which is of course on the street to cop heroin.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Apr-26-14 10:15 PM

14. "Hell of an insinuation in my upping this"
In response to Reply # 0

but... yeah.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Apr-27-14 01:22 AM

16. "RIP DJ Rashad"
In response to Reply # 14

not an insinuation, his team is saying it was an OD

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 12:52 AM

18. "There was a cover up, now autopsy showing coke, heroine + xanax"
In response to Reply # 16

http://www.thefader.com/2014/08/07/dj-rashad-drug-overdose-autopsy/

Shit is redic man.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:03 AM

19. "i cant judge fam"
In response to Reply # 18

Never used heroin, but pretty much everything else under the sun. Part due to peer pressure, part due to my own curiosity, part due to my own dreams being crushed against the weight of time

At times it's weak, others it's bliss, others it's just fun

I can't imagine what it's like to finally catch a break and have an addictive inclination / biology with that access

I just hope as a nation we become more honest with what drives our addictions and alternatives to helping folk deep in their struggle

Lobby The Lesson topic #2808540 Previous topic | Next topic