Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2805570

Subject: "electronic music's generation gap (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Wed May-15-13 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"electronic music's generation gap (swipe)"

LA Weekly has this article

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/05/edm_old_school_new_school_divide.php?ref=trending

while lazily written, it does bring up a valid point
back in the day it was all about PLUR and rolls and a faceless DJ saved my life in a warehouse or field
raver chicks were androgynous and could school you on music
we all know what it's like now

I was never into trance or house, but at least in D & B the old school DJ's are gods and still rock and get respect along with the new heads

I haven't been to Ultra since 06 and was thinking of going next year
old man at the rave lol

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i hate that its categorized this way
May 15th 2013
RE: electronic music's generation gap (swipe)
May 15th 2013
i think its that early militant style of drum and bass
May 15th 2013
      i think u may be on to something here
May 15th 2013
It's interesting that LA weekly is writing this...
May 15th 2013
RE: electronic music's generation gap (swipe)
May 16th 2013

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35256 posts
Wed May-15-13 05:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i hate that its categorized this way"
In response to Reply # 0

there are plenty of people under 30 into underground house, techno, drum and bass, etc etc.

they make it seem like the only people who want to listen to Seth Troxler or Richie Hawtin are 40+ and thats just not true

Danny Tenaglia was a terrible example because he's fuckin retired. but Jamie Jones and Lee Foss? Troxler? Kyle Hall? Im 30 and these people are no older than me, and Kyle Hall is 20.

there is a gap no doubt, but its more like unshowered kids looking to rage for a while vs people who will still be listening to electronic music at the end of summer 2014.

they are disposable fans and the disposable nature of the music they like reflects that. there is no soul except what they can squeeze out of rihanna or whatever guest vocalist they have, no rhythmic elements between the kicks, and no innovation on the low end.

but whatever. thats why there is EDC for them and Movement Detroit for me.

cgonz00cc
35256 posts
Wed May-15-13 05:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: electronic music's generation gap (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

>I was never into trance or house, but at least in D & B the
>old school DJ's are gods and still rock and get respect along
>with the new heads

you're right about that. Andy C, Ed Rush and Optical, Dieselboy, etc are still revered by the new school bass music crowd.

but the electrohouse Aoki/Guetta/SHM crowd has no idea who Derrick Carter, Carl Craig, or Jeff Mills are. its sad.

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Wed May-15-13 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i think its that early militant style of drum and bass"
In response to Reply # 2

that ingrained to all junglists to respect the older heads; coupled with drum and bass being for the most part being mostly gimmick free, it was more about the provider ( the DJ ) bringing the tunes and mixing them and double dropping them in ways that the crowd could appreciate

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

cgonz00cc
35256 posts
Wed May-15-13 05:30 PM

4. "i think u may be on to something here"
In response to Reply # 3

and to add on there is no pop equivalent

Juan Atkins : SwedishHouseMafia :: Roni Size : ?????

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Wed May-15-13 10:54 PM

5. "It's interesting that LA weekly is writing this..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-15-13 10:57 PM by Madvillain 626

considering LA gets plenty of underground techno/house DJ's coming thru. Plenty.

Low End Theory blew up a while ago, but there's still A Club Called Rhonda, Mount Analog's events that specialize in bringing in fresh DJ's from around the country, the awesome No Way Back parties, and that's just skimming the surface. Just last week I saw Willie Burns from L.I.E.S. (my favorite house label right now), Hieroglyphic Being (if his sound isn't "underground", wtf is) and Daniel Maloso from Mexico (killed it)

>back in the day it was all about PLUR and rolls and a faceless DJ saved my life in a warehouse or field

Still plenty of that, only difference is the DJ isn't "faceless" and he's probably makin 100k for that set

I can't hate on the whole brostep, EDC type music. I went to EDC and Lovefest when they were still in LA, had a lot of fun. There's room for everyone and turning your nose up to that particular brand of electronic music is lame and counterproductive.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

playmaker88
Member since Sep 20th 2012
169 posts
Thu May-16-13 02:05 AM

6. "RE: electronic music's generation gap (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

I've tried to like it but been unable to identify with any of it.

Steady Plexin'

Lobby The Lesson topic #2805570 Previous topic | Next topic