Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2802002

Subject: "Iggy Azalea responds to Uncle Brad's comments on race and hip-hop (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu May-02-13 07:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Iggy Azalea responds to Uncle Brad's comments on race and hip-hop (link)"

don't know if dude presented the question wrong but I think she missed the point Scarface was making http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mjrWRwCYxRs

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: she stupid ...hiphop is black
May 02nd 2013
yea...dude presented the question wrong
May 02nd 2013
this shit is a mess
May 02nd 2013
well said Iggy
Aug 19th 2014
You don't get to respond.
Aug 19th 2014
White people get so mad about being reminded
Aug 19th 2014
Yep....
Aug 20th 2014
we're going off track but..........
Aug 19th 2014
too bad that aint what scarface said tho
Aug 20th 2014
RE: too bad that aint what scarface said tho
Aug 20th 2014
Correction: HipHop is a Black Culture that is universal.
Aug 20th 2014
      Let em know!
Aug 20th 2014
      saying that blacks own hip hop......
Aug 20th 2014
           Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly.
Aug 20th 2014
                RE: Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly.
Aug 21st 2014
She doesn't need to stop making hip hop.
Aug 20th 2014
you want her to go back to this?
Aug 20th 2014
      RE: you want her to go back to this?
Aug 20th 2014
           Ah well... I didn't know that.
Aug 20th 2014
                RE: Ah well... I didn't know that.
Aug 20th 2014
                     though when you think about it
Aug 20th 2014
                          IKR?
Aug 20th 2014
                          RE: though when you think about it
Aug 20th 2014
                               But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Aug 20th 2014
                                    RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Aug 20th 2014
                                    RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Aug 21st 2014
She's just very naive...
Aug 20th 2014
ding ding ding
Aug 20th 2014
should've responded like the dude who made "criminals gone wild"...
Aug 20th 2014
lofl. hilarious
Aug 20th 2014
I can't stop laughing!!
Aug 20th 2014
Hip-Hop takes an L for her name even being in the same sentence as Face
Aug 20th 2014

aolhater
Member since Oct 14th 2002
1332 posts
Thu May-02-13 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: she stupid ...hiphop is black"
In response to Reply # 0

*professional lurker*

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Thu May-02-13 07:42 PM

2. "yea...dude presented the question wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

not gunna listen to her for 15 mins tho

also, it's interesting hearing her fight her accent

Apollo Kid
Member since Apr 10th 2006
6527 posts
Thu May-02-13 08:22 PM

3. "this shit is a mess"
In response to Reply # 0

face's words will be contorted by the media and presented to a bunch of white rappers without context all for the sake of having something to talk about

Peabody
Member since Jan 18th 2011
10296 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 07:27 PM

4. "well said Iggy"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 08:38 PM

5. "You don't get to respond."
In response to Reply # 0

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 08:55 PM

6. "White people get so mad about being reminded "
In response to Reply # 0

That hip hop culture is black/brown culture

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 04:14 PM

20. "Yep...."
In response to Reply # 6

I reminded a white Kat on these very boards(the Lesson) of that fact once a few years back and dude's feelings got hurt. Dude even cowardly made a reference to it in GD.

Shit was hilarious and tragic at the same damn time.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

jeanlouis61
Member since Dec 02nd 2005
3416 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 10:04 PM

7. "we're going off track but.........."
In response to Reply # 0

hip hop is a universal culture that white people have had a hand in as artists, b-boys, producers, djs and execs from the beginning.....

Black artists who think that being 15% of America and getting most of their concert ticket and album sales from white people will not inspire white people to rap are stupid. if you say "hip hop is getting white" and its not in the context of what scarface was talking, u r dumb. Hip hop is by all people for all people. white artists like Em who carry on the history and show love to the people that came before them are fine in my book. Action Bronson is a walking advertisement for the history of wutang, while black artists(some) dont show love to people that came five years before them and start stupid twitter beefs with older artists. Even a Kid Rock interview is filled with his love for black hip hop artists from way back.

the record labels who put artists like G Rap and Rakim in some isolation even though they can still rap, and radio stations who dont show love to older artists by not at least spitting some history lesson now and then are the culprits.

follow me @oldirtyplaster on the Twitter thing.....i say awesome stuff

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 07:16 AM

10. "too bad that aint what scarface said tho"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Aug-20-14 07:25 AM by howardlloyd

we talking about appropriation and exploitation..cultural imperialism if you will

the imperialists then extract the most salable aspects of the culture (when you dealing with black culture the most salable aspects will always be the stereotype... quests 5 type of celebrity blacks come to mind) and promotes and markets these images to the world and unfortunately the BABIES of hip hops creators look at and define themselves through the eyes of white imperialists.

most white ppl are only willing to accept stereotypical images of black folks.just go read some of the comments under any mike brown story.

so as it moved to BE FOR WHITE PPL... these are the ramifications.

scarface is 100% right

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

jeanlouis61
3416 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 09:11 AM

12. "RE: too bad that aint what scarface said tho"
In response to Reply # 10

he is saying that they are, like you said, making us look like buffoons while deflating creativity and consciousness while leaving glowing messages to white folk.....what i am saying is that people read the description or half listen and think that its the fault of em and mack and not the labels and stations

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 06:26 PM

21. "Correction: HipHop is a Black Culture that is universal."
In response to Reply # 7

>>hip hop is a universal culture that white people have had a hand in as artists, b-boys, producers, djs and execs from the beginning.....<<

Refer to the *correction above.

This is the part that a lot of non-Blacks don't understand:

Rightfully acknowledging and paying homage to HipHop as a Black cultural art-form doesn't mean, in and of itself, that non-Blacks can't enjoy, participate in, and contribute to it.
Don't know why that fact is so hard to understand.

-HipHop is a direct offspring of the African rhythm & dance traditions/aesthetics imported and culminated in the Americas through rigorously oppressive conditions-
(More specifically, a symbiotic cultural cross-pollenation of Afro-American, Afro-Latin, and Afro-Carribean elements and the subsequent *synthesis of these elements)

^ ^ ^That is a fact!

Whether non-Blacks were present at HipHop's inception to bare witness to, be influenced by, and residually re-contribute to it via their initial contact with the African rhythm/dance aesthetic is inconsequential when speaking of the originators/progenitors of this cultural art-form.

-Pay Homage-

In layman's terms:
If -I- invent something and -you're- there to witness it, *YOU don't get any executive credit as an originator of what *I invented.

And that's exactly what a lot of naive white people have the culturally-unintelligible misfortune of doing all the time:

"Oh...well uhhmm...HipHop isn't a Black artform because white people were there to witness it at the beginning"...

http://i.minus.com/ism2hTbv84OsS.gif
Nope! Doesn't work like that.

When non-Blacks begin to grasp this in its greater culturally macrocosmic context, taking into account the tumultuous antagonistic waters that our African-rhythm/dance-traditions had to resiliently endure, it is then and ONLY then that non-Blacks will gain an even DEEPER appreciation, love, understanding, and *respect for this art-form of *ours.

Muthafukkaz need ta do the knowledge....

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 09:20 PM

28. "Let em know!"
In response to Reply # 21

jeanlouis61
3416 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 10:35 PM

29. "saying that blacks own hip hop......"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed Aug-20-14 10:44 PM by jeanlouis61

is still silly. did they create it, and have a thorough history in in its beginnings and present? yes.

is it criminal what white labels and stations are doing to promote black buffoons and drown black kings and queens who raise the artform? yes.

it is also an artform that we have spread to japan, germany, india and countless other countries who, while paying respect to the inspiration, have their own assortment of artists who mostly not black. this is why i say its a universal culture, but I KNOW that it is an artform created by blacks.

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 11:19 PM

30. "Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly."
In response to Reply # 29

Thats like saying,...

- "Calling Wing Chun a Chinese art is silly"

- "Calling Kenjutsu a Japanese art is silly"

- "Calling Tang Soo Do a Korean art is silly"

- "Calling Yoga an Indian art is silly"

All of these *cultural arts have spread worldwide, yet that doesn't change what they are regardless of any out-group interpretation/misinterpretation.

Such is the same with HipHop.

Using the same matrix above...

- "Calling HipHop a Black art ISN'T silly". Its original application doesn't get re-purposed/re-appropriated merely because its gained worldwide popularity. It is STILL what it IS.

You need to do the knowledge, Black.

jeanlouis61
3416 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 11:53 PM

32. "RE: Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly."
In response to Reply # 30

in that context you are right, but black people dont OWN it.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 03:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "She doesn't need to stop making hip hop."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-20-14 03:45 AM by denny

She needs to stop pretending to be black when she records and performs. It's offensive. Rap with your accent and mannerisms....not with someone else's. That's a characterization....not self-expression.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "you want her to go back to this?"
In response to Reply # 8

http://youtu.be/IosP8iSnwNk

(lol)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "RE: you want her to go back to this?"
In response to Reply # 13

that video came out AFTER she got a deal Bro..

Remember THIS is what got her on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-05Gnihcw

They tried "and failed" at singing only when they thought that the rap world wasnt going to accept shit on a larger level..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 02:35 PM

16. "Ah well... I didn't know that."
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Aug-20-14 02:39 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

>They tried "and failed" at singing only when they thought that
>the rap world wasnt going to accept shit on a larger level..

I only saw that other video after she had already been out for a while and she looked slightly younger (and less steatopygous) in it, so I assumed it came before.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I remember for that period after "Pu$$y" when they were trying to break her in Europe and she mentioned she was doing some techno stuff... I'd thought she meant like rapping over techno or something closer to like Azealia Banks or something. I guess this is what they were doing.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 03:22 PM

19. "RE: Ah well... I didn't know that."
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Aug-20-14 03:22 PM by double 0

Yea..

I think they were trying all kinds of stuff.. I mean shit... to think THIS coulda been Fancy http://youtu.be/gWcYOz2fpMk?t=38s

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 07:16 PM

23. "though when you think about it"
In response to Reply # 19

this does kinda lend credence to the allegations that she is a project that the label had determined was going to happen by any means necessary.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 07:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "IKR?"
In response to Reply # 23

And it looks like they hit the jackpot when they decided to indulge further in black stereotypes. Probly brought in a 'slang coach' and everything. I find it disgusting and I've never been one to put down eminem or vanilla ice or snow. She's a fraud.

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 08:06 PM

25. "RE: though when you think about it"
In response to Reply # 23

Nope had dinner with her A&R last night.... He said the label had zero faith the project would work... especially in the states..

She actually didn't want fancy on the album at all.. was some last minute decision that worked

But once Fancy dropped the fans really connected and ran with it... I mean the topic is pretty universal for most young chicks (and gay dudes) to get behind..

In between Pussy and Fancy she's had damn near 10 singles that really didnt POP but they built a solid enough fan base that when Fancy hit.. it was a wrap

You guys really gotta understand.. this is NEVER an exact game. You can plan all kindsa shit that doesn't work or throw some shit at the wall and it sticks..

All you CAN focus on his having a tight team that can make things happen.. and Turn First Artists (her management) has been BEASTING..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 08:37 PM

26. "But how many artists get as much rope as she did?"
In response to Reply # 25

They gave her MAD chances and kept on pumping that bubble till it broke.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 08:41 PM

27. "RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?"
In response to Reply # 26

>They gave her MAD chances and kept on pumping that bubble
>till it broke.

And now they paid.

Mission Accomplished

double 0
7007 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 04:51 PM

31. "RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?"
In response to Reply # 26

She didn't cost them much...

Everything you see.. videos.. red carpets etc.. was leveraged by management through sponsorship, licensing etc...

Same thing with Thicke (Remy Martin paying for Blurred lines) and Rihanna (Nike, Samsung, CoverGirl) and everyone else.. These labels arent spending like you think they are until radio play is involved.

I mean in the end think about ALL the other artists on Universal now that have done literally nothing and are still signed.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 06:50 AM

9. "She's just very naive..."
In response to Reply # 0

Especially when she asks a question like "Why would you want to segregate
cultures and races and things like this?"
Such a loaded question, Iggy. Look at the history of America (and the history
of this land before it was called "America"). There was a time during the early
part of the century when we were thriving in many ways. One of the biggest
examples is Black Wall Street which destroyed by white folks by dynamite from
a plane, because they ain't wanna see black folks thriving. We buy into the
illusion of inclusion only to STILL be getting murdered in the streets like animals
(Mike Brown, John Crawford III, Eric Garner, the list goes on).

Beyond that though, and more to the point, our inventions have been taken
for CENTURIES. Understand? Centuries. Ask yourself why a black man would
be drawing BLUEPRINTS for the likes of Bell and Edison. How can anyone do that
except the inventor? Nobody wanna tell you we created mathematics and
taught Aristotle and them. Or that all the Holy images were black until the pope
made Michaelangelo paint a European version of them. People lightening the
skin of the people in hieroglyphics. Why? Because they don't want you do know
we invented this shit. And people can yell "It doesn't matter who invented
it or what they looked like!" If that's the case, then why are they going
through so much trouble to pretend we didn't invent it? That's the real issue.
More recently, they don't want you do know we invented Rock & Roll. Next
is Hip Hop. We're just tired of that. However, if you get enough black folks
who don't give a shit like a "BrooklynWHAT" for instance, it'll be easy to do.
There is a very obvious agenda against black folks and our inventions and
contributions to the world... at least against our getting credit for them, and
it continues.
If black people buy into this idea that it doesn't matter and "we are all one"
rhetoric, it just makes it much easier to enact this agenda that has always
been present and remains present today.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 07:26 AM

11. "ding ding ding"
In response to Reply # 9

we have a winner

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

febreeze
Member since Jul 19th 2014
295 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 11:47 AM

14. "should've responded like the dude who made "criminals gone wild"..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au38PyH9J7k&t=5m48s

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 02:54 PM

17. "lofl. hilarious"
In response to Reply # 14

Laz aka Black Native
Member since Mar 18th 2009
5462 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 03:01 PM

18. "I can't stop laughing!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Furious Styles: https://blacknative.bandcamp.com/album/furious-styles

Black Confederate on iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/black-confederate-single/id940282326

Video to Black Confederate: http://youtu.be/jbpAQ4qzkqY

PSN: WakandanKing
Follow

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Aug-20-14 06:56 PM

22. "Hip-Hop takes an L for her name even being in the same sentence as Face"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2802002 Previous topic | Next topic