Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2801971

Subject: "10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu May-02-13 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)"

I know how much you guys look forward to Complex Mag links so here's another one

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/05/10-facts-that-prove-records-sales-arent-everything/

Last week, The Roots finally achieved something they hadn’t done before in their storied career: Their album Things Fall Apart went platinum. Despite a career that spans countless accolades and an unyielding status as one of the most consistent acts in rap history, it still took 14 years for one of their best albums to earn platinum status. As gratifying as it may be for them to hang this illustrious plaque up in the rafters, you can't simplify what The Roots have contributed to hip-hop by looking just at SoundScan.

Rap fans tend to get it twisted (probably because 50 Cent brainwashed us) and think that record sales are the be all and end all measure of success. And sure, in some ways they are incredibly important to an artist, especially their finances (even though, no matter how much you sell you can still go broke).

Meanwhile, there's another group of fans who tend to hate on whoever is the most popular artist at any given moment. But that's the easy way out. Truth is, as Jeff Bebe points out in the director's cut of Almost Famous, "I've studied the entire history of music. Most of the time, the best stuff is the popular stuff." And that's true of rap, many of the best selling rap albums are actually incredible records, and sometimes skills do sell: OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, Biggie's Life After Death, 2Pac's All Eyez On Me, Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and so on.

Of course, there's also, the umm, how do we say this, not so classic albums like MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em which is still a top five all time best selling rap album. Here's the funny thing: Lots of people bought Hammer's record back in the day, but nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would claim to be a fan of his. Ditto for Vanilla Ice. Yet Nas' Illmatic struggled to go gold its first year of release but now every hip-hop head swears they know it by heart. You can't sell your way to longevity.

Like The Roots, many rap artists have built their brands from the ground up without hit records or album sales. In contrast, other artists who had no reason being anywhere near the top of the charts ended up rich (for a little while at least) and famous despite their inept efforts. It’s a discrepancy that continues to this day, but time weeds out these culprits and the cream rises to the top. To illustrate our point, we put together some comparisons to find 10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything.

Written by Insanul Ahmed (@Incilin) & Edwin Ortiz (@ItunesEra)

10. Vanilla Ice's diamond selling To the Extreme sold more copies than Fear of a Black Planet, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted & People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm COMBINED...

09. ...so did MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em.

08. In 1991, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's Music for the People went platinum, meanwhile De La Soul's De La Soul Is Dead only garnered a gold plaque.

07. In 1989, Tone Loc's Lōc-ed After Dark went double platinum while Big Daddy Kane's It's a Big Daddy Thing went gold.

06. In 2005, Common's Be was hailed as a classic and a success as it went gold. Meanwhile, Mike Jones' Who Is Mike Jones? went platinum.

05. Ja Rule's Pain is Love went triple platinum, outselling Jay-Z's double platinum seminal classic The Blueprint.

04. Despite being often declared the two best Wu-Tang solo records, Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Linx... & GZA's Liquid Swords were both initially outsold by Method Man's platinum debut, Tical.

03. In 2003, Chingy's Jackpot sold 2.8 million copies while T.I.'s Trap Muzik only sold 1.7 million.

02. Despite being universally panned, Lil Wayne's Rebirth still outsold Rick Ross' Teflon Don by about 50,000 copies.

01. Flo Rida has more No. 1 hits than Jay-Z.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
WHAT
May 02nd 2013
never heard a Flo Rida song in my life...
May 02nd 2013
I'm only aware I've heard Right Round
May 02nd 2013
Well, there was "Low."
May 02nd 2013
a #1 hit is tough to make...and Jay-Z doesn't have many
May 03rd 2013
RE: 10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)
May 02nd 2013
RE: 10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)
May 02nd 2013
when an act sells in Hip Hop they are the happening thing
May 02nd 2013
Interesting how as the countdown makes its way to #1...
May 03rd 2013
May not be everything, but it's an indicator of what the listeners like
May 03rd 2013
lots of things are indicators tho
May 03rd 2013

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu May-02-13 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "WHAT"
In response to Reply # 0

>01. Flo Rida has more No. 1 hits than Jay-Z.

lol @ Chingy outselling T.I.

DAMN those days are over

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu May-02-13 05:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "never heard a Flo Rida song in my life..."
In response to Reply # 0

how is that possible he got more #1's than Jay Z? lol

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16840 posts
Thu May-02-13 05:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I'm only aware I've heard Right Round"
In response to Reply # 2

don't know for sure if I've heard another one

<================================
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/raysnill1/2012falcons.jpg

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu May-02-13 10:36 PM

7. "Well, there was "Low.""
In response to Reply # 3

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Fri May-03-13 03:06 PM

8. "a #1 hit is tough to make...and Jay-Z doesn't have many"
In response to Reply # 2

Flo Rida has a couple...most of Jay-Z hits have never been #1...

Even ?uestlove said that as big as "You Got Me" was when The Roots won the grammy...the peak of the song was #11 on the Billboard Hot 100...it wasn't a top 10 hit....

I am not surprised at all...

Longevity is the name of the game...

lsmooth
Member since Oct 11th 2012
128 posts
Thu May-02-13 07:32 PM

4. "RE: 10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought that Common's first one, little wayne, and method man is alright.

lsmooth
Member since Oct 11th 2012
128 posts
Thu May-02-13 07:32 PM

5. "RE: 10 Facts That Prove Records Sales Aren't Everything (link)"
In response to Reply # 4

I think that people want to make money and good music.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu May-02-13 08:56 PM

6. "when an act sells in Hip Hop they are the happening thing"
In response to Reply # 0

and NWA went double platinum back in the day with no airplay period.

i mean if a Act hits then it means something period.

Flo-Rida has catch ring tone cuts and it worked.

Chingy was following the Lou style and vibe of Nelly and it worked, however he was a one album wonder period.

Ja Rule was happening a decade and change back in the day. him and Ashanti were on some John Travolta/Olivia Newton John tip and it worked like a charm for a while and act like Jay Z and Beyonce didn't take a page out of it.

the Roots having an Album from the 90's go platinum ain't no shock or surprised,now anything they have put since 2000 to go platinum would cause real shock.

bottom line they are seen as a 90's thing who has embraced the backing role.

nothing about the stats is shocking or surprising because the acts that hit like that hit and then they were quickly swept away into relic ville and last time i checked aside from LL COOL J nobody is breaking there necks to push out a 80's hip hop act album and hype it. maybe if Dr Dre comes back.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri May-03-13 03:18 PM

9. "Interesting how as the countdown makes its way to #1..."
In response to Reply # 0

...the music gets gradually worse.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Fri May-03-13 03:47 PM

10. "May not be everything, but it's an indicator of what the listeners like"
In response to Reply # 0

same goes for Pop music... I'm sure Justin Timberlake has outsold
D'Angelo

some of those artists you listed are nothing more than Pop stars

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri May-03-13 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "lots of things are indicators tho"
In response to Reply # 10

i think the point is or that i hope they are making that the SALES the general public know about arent everything.....theres artists who do just as well financially as people who are doing doing well and there are artists who u may think are shit but have huge pop hits and do better financially the people u think are caking...theres many factors for success which people confuse with what creates longevity.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2801971 Previous topic | Next topic