Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2799988

Subject: "Vinyl heads, I need tips on purchasing a new record player/turntable" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Vinyl heads, I need tips on purchasing a new record player/turntable"

Just list your top 5 turntables in the $200 - $500 range. give reasons why if you want. Thanx in advance!

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I like stanton direct drives
Apr 25th 2013
RE: I like stanton direct drives
Apr 25th 2013
It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary.
Apr 25th 2013
RE: It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary.
Apr 25th 2013
      At that price range, I'd figure out how many features I want from...
Apr 25th 2013
           I should say that a lot of factory-installed cartridges are pretty good.
Apr 25th 2013
some brand names you can look into:
Apr 25th 2013
Just Buy A Used Technics 1200
Apr 25th 2013
Agreed...really there's nothing that comes close
Apr 25th 2013
      The og didn't say he was djing though
Apr 25th 2013
           Technics (Matsushita) is defunct? Shit.
Apr 25th 2013
For listening, you have a lot of choices
Apr 25th 2013
RE: belt drives
Apr 25th 2013
      Right, which was the point I was making n/m
Apr 25th 2013
      RE: belt drives
Apr 25th 2013
Used Gemini XL500 mkII
Apr 25th 2013
First decide belt/ direct
Apr 25th 2013
RE: If you're going for fidelity, do not. . .
Apr 25th 2013
why?
Oct 06th 2013
      RE: Well, there are different thoughts on this. . .
Oct 07th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I like stanton direct drives"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a range of them within your price range.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

16580 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:37 AM

4. "RE: I like stanton direct drives"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks. I was looking at the stanton joints too

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary."
In response to Reply # 0

16580 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:33 AM

3. "RE: It's the cartridge you worry about. The turntable is secondary."
In response to Reply # 2

thanks for the tip. anything in particular?

Buck
16160 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "At that price range, I'd figure out how many features I want from..."
In response to Reply # 3

...the table itself -- automated start/stop, USB out, belt or direct-drive, onboard preamp, that sort of thing -- and see how cheaply you can get those features. Then spend the rest of the budget upgrading the cartridge. Ortofon has the biggest range, but there are other manufacturers as well. I'd go to http://www.needledoctor.com/ and read reviews at various price points, then see if you can find whatever you like somewhere else for cheaper.

I use a 2M series Ortofon, and I like it a lot. Mine was about $250. I use an ancient turntable that I got for free with it.

Buck
16160 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 11:02 AM

6. "I should say that a lot of factory-installed cartridges are pretty good."
In response to Reply # 5

Denon makes some nice stuff, for example, in case you don't want to mess with swapping cartridges.

Unseen x
Member since Dec 09th 2012
529 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 11:03 AM

7. "some brand names you can look into: "
In response to Reply # 0

rega, music hall, project, or a used 1200.

i've only had experience w/the 1200s. it's pretty easy to use and make adjustments. the platter and damping is one of the few things that bothers me about the 1200 for close listening, being designed for another utility/DJing--it effects resonance in the sound and how the needle hits the record--but that can be alleviated with an appropriate turntable mat, NOT a slip mat. other tables i've noticed the platter doesn't require that extra step as much because the construction of the platter is sturdier and more stable, solid.

the other names i've heard repeatedly brought up on other forums, i think are worth researching.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 11:05 AM

8. "Just Buy A Used Technics 1200 "
In response to Reply # 0

Either go to a pawn shop or find a dj who might have one for sale or get this one from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00006I5VX/sr=1-1/qid=1366905048/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=1366905048&seller=&sr=1-1

Yeah the price for those are up there and start at $450 and up but I've seen djs who have sold their turntables cheaper than that though.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 11:45 AM

9. "Agreed...really there's nothing that comes close"
In response to Reply # 8

I had cheap tables for years up until recently. I had everything from low end technics to Stanton and its not even close the difference in precision you get with 1200's. They are built to take a beating. I just bought one from an old dude who hardly played his...it's new condition like and I only paid 150

Instagram: ascensionmusic

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 11:50 AM

10. "The og didn't say he was djing though"
In response to Reply # 9

Techniques not being used for DJing particularly since they are now defunct is a waste IMO. There are plenty of options for someone who just wants to listen to vinyl.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Technics (Matsushita) is defunct? Shit."
In response to Reply # 10

I might stick to my low-end. I was thinking of getting a direct drive for some of my digital transfers, but I've gotten some good work out of my old workhorse.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 12:11 PM

11. "For listening, you have a lot of choices"
In response to Reply # 0

One obvious factor: brand name. If you know of companies you've heard of before, trust them. For the most part, used turntables can be reliable, or they can be easily repaired. Of course, this also depends on how much you want to invest in repair, and you're probably like me: nothing.

These two turntables have been on my want list for awhile: the Pro-Ject Debut III model:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDHQK2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000CDHQK2&linkCode=as2&tag=thisbosmu-20

and the Rega RP-1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B3GELG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004B3GELG&linkCode=as2&tag=thisbosmu-20

Both of these are well reviewed, and go between $250-500. If you want a record player that will last, I would go for them if you want a new turntable.

If you want something cheaper, go for Audio Technica:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002S1CJ2Q&linkCode=as2&tag=thisbosmu-20

They are a name that has been trusted for years.

========
Basically, if you want something brand new, you'll want to pay anything over $200. If you want something basic, go for brands like Sony, Denon, or Panasonic. I had a Denon DP-29F for years and it worked great.

Don't hesitate to go to Craigslist or your local market "penny saver"-type things where you might be able to find a bargain for 50 bucks, as I have. Of course, you also have to make sure everything is in working order from the platter to the tone arm to the needle, although needles can and should be replaced. Otherwise, a turntable between $250 to $500 will do you good, direct drive turntables are considered better but sometimes that is said because of its use as a DJ'ing tool. Either way, buy something that will last and you know you'll get a lot of usage with it. Maintain the needle every year or 18 months and you'll be alright.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 12:17 PM

12. "RE: belt drives"
In response to Reply # 11

> direct drive turntables are considered better but
>sometimes that is said because of its use as a DJ'ing tool.

Nah the belts are the problems as they eventually wear and are prone to not spin consistently.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 02:53 PM

15. "Right, which was the point I was making n/m"
In response to Reply # 12

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 03:15 PM

17. "RE: belt drives"
In response to Reply # 12

It's not like changing a belt is hard, and it's not like direct drives never fuck up. Plus, belts are quiter and more stable. As Ron Jawarski just said on sportscenter in reference to this years quarterback draft class, "It's like flavors of ice cream. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla, some even like neopolitan." Same thing w/ tts, the belt/ dd dichotomy is mostly about useage/ preference. We all think that what we use and prefer is what is objectively "best."

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 12:20 PM

13. "Used Gemini XL500 mkII"
In response to Reply # 0

Direct drive turntable, solid build quality and pretty cheap. I sold my pair last year when I moved and thoroughly regret it. For listening, they're pretty good with a good stylus/cart (I had original Standon Discmasters for listening and my workhorse 500mkII's for spinning).

I had mine for 12-13 years and they worked the same on the last day as they did the first.
---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 03:03 PM

16. "First decide belt/ direct"
In response to Reply # 0

There's pluses and minuses to each. Belts need to be replaced, but direct drives have many more moving parts to keep in order. If you have a nicer cartridge, a belt will be a little quieter than a dd. If you want to DJ all that info is moot, and you'll need a dd.

Basically anything you're going to read about a sub $500 table is going to focus on the Music Hall MMF 2.2, the Rega RP1, and the Pro-Ject Debut. The Music Hall and the Pro-Ject both share a ton of parts, so there's not much difference there. They also both have a hum issue with certain cartridges, which isn't a big deal if you do your research beforehand. The Rega RP1 has its fans as well, I don't have any experience with it tho. You'd be googleing and reading the same stuff I am.

I have the Pro-Ject Debut III (mentioned earlier) with the USB upgrade. It's a nice table; Pro-Ject really strips down on extra features for the sake of offering sound quality. There's no automatic start or return, you change speeds by manually moving the belt, platter is only 10", and the tonearm doesn't have leads, but is wired all the way back to the platform (which is only a problem if you break one of the wires changing carts, which I found out the hard way). I'd say it's kind of like a car with a really nice engine, transmission and drivetrain with manual windows, no AC, and a cheap interior. You're getting better quality on the things that really matter at that pricepoint, but missing out on the luxury. They also recently revamped this table and don't make it anymore, but you can still buy it new for about $300.

The revamped Debut is the Debut Carbon. The main difference is a carbon tonearm, a significantly better cart, and a 12" platter. This table costs $100 more than the Debut III, and is worth every penny. It also puts it much closer to the Rega and Music Hall tables in terms of price. I like my Debut III enough to be jealous of the upgrades made in the new Debut Carbon, and have no problem recommending the table. It probably has the best cart and tone arm out of the 3, and is a really nice table right out of the box.

I also really recommend doing your shopping with the Needle Doctor: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables
Their prices are competitive and their customer service is amazing. You can do things like order a turntable with a upgraded cart and they'll mount it for you and answer questions for you all day long.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Apr-25-13 08:30 PM

18. "RE: If you're going for fidelity, do not. . ."
In response to Reply # 0

. . .I repeat DO NOT get a deck with a straight tone arm.

Everything else has been covered pretty well.

~Austin

Latest 'choon: "it was a bad day."
http://bit.ly/138L3zy

"Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it."
—Jules Renard

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com/

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Sun Oct-06-13 04:04 PM

19. "why?"
In response to Reply # 18

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Oct-07-13 08:38 AM

20. "RE: Well, there are different thoughts on this. . ."
In response to Reply # 19

. . .and it really depends on who you ask, some people are very big fans, BUT—

With a curved, "S-shape" tone arm, in my experience, you have get better results as far as fidelity across the board with all different types of records (12", 10", 33, 45, etc.). The S-shape (properly adjusted with counterweights, anti-skate, etc.) is able to ride in a wider variety of grooves.

Straight arms are good for two things: playing standard size records and scratching.

Of course, straight arms are not going to ruin your records or destroy your life, but if you have an ear for fidelity, you will notice a difference.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"untitled 4." http://bit.ly/1772QTW
"doctor who nursery rhyme." http://bit.ly/18oC1gH
"1.5.2.0" http://bit.ly/18UMv7A
"for vini." http://bit.ly/19HQbtF
"one year later." http://bit.ly/1eQNPwI

Lobby The Lesson topic #2799988 Previous topic | Next topic