Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2799735

Subject: "Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich Interview (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich Interview (link)"

Whatever you do, don't call Atoms for Peace a supergroup in front of Thom Yorke. "If anyone ever says it to my face," says the Radiohead singer, with a sharp grin, "I'm going to fucking knock their teeth out." Yorke is sitting in a Manhattan hotel cafe with producer Nigel Godrich, his chief collaborator in the new band, whose groove-heavy debut album, Amok, arrived in February after three years of studio alchemy. He's in a light, jesting mood this morning; Yorke and Godrich, close colleagues since the mid-Nineties, are very good at making each other laugh.

In July, the not-supergroup – whose other members are Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, Brazilian percussionist Mauro Refosco and drummer Joey Waronker – will launch its first tour since 2010, set to hit U.S. arenas in September. Conflicting schedules often make it difficult for all five musicians to gather in one place, and as of mid-March, they had yet to figure out when they would start rehearsing. "We're not quite sure what's going to happen," admits Yorke.

Then again, a little uncertainty just might be Atoms for Peace's secret weapon. "That's what happened last time," recalls Godrich, thinking back to the exhilarating Los Angeles jam sessions that kicked off the recording process. "We really didn't know what was going to happen until we actually stood in the room. It's exciting." Yorke nods and smiles. "Amok came out of the joy of discovering a new set of people," he says. "I'm curious to know what happens now."

Even with a major tour looming, Yorke is always working on new music in some form or another. "At the moment, I'm writing things which are more electronic again, really simple, really stripped down," he says. "And I'm wondering how that's going to work."

Read on for an in-depth conversation with Yorke and Godrich about why performing with Atoms for Peace is so much fun, what they love (and hate) about dance music right now, what's next for Radiohead and much more.

Read rest here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-thom-yorke-and-nigel-godrich-on-atoms-for-peace-the-state-of-dance-music-and-whats-next-for-radiohead-20130423

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2799735 Previous topic | Next topic