Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2797710

Subject: "herbie hancock's "possibilities" documentary is streaming on netflix." Previous topic | Next topic
Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 07:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"herbie hancock's "possibilities" documentary is streaming on netflix."

that was dope.
i thought about dr. claw when i was watching it.

i love how zen he is about the process of making music.
i didn't know he was a buddhist until the documentary,
but even as i was watching it before it got to that part,
he seemed to be so "in the moment."

i love the idea that he was constantly moving and experimenting.
and that was so cool what he said about miles davis.
"he never told us what to play... as long as we were working on something he was fine."

he had a lot of great insights
and everybody that came through did a great job.

i'd reccomend it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
upp'd
Apr 19th 2013
re: Herbie's 'Zen'
Apr 19th 2013

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 02:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "upp'd"
In response to Reply # 0

gunna watch this wekend

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "re: Herbie's 'Zen'"
In response to Reply # 0

reading some of the background story to his Mwandishi/free jazz era, they mentioned his conversion to Nichiren Buddhism sometime in that period. it's often cited in his intentions to "please the crowd".

I think Miles had a good part in ushering Herbie out of his shell and created a monster of sorts. Herbie (like a number of others) bristled at playing the electric piano. Miles more or less said "you're gonna play this". so he did, and the rest is history. he also became increasingly engaged in changing technology as well as he was musical styles. though Patrick Gleeson's contributions to the Herbie oeuvre is often reduced to a footnote despite its impact, I wonder if he (along with artists such as TONTO and Stevie) really got him into being a "gear head" like he is.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2797710 Previous topic | Next topic