Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2796773

Subject: "How much would these artists cost to book? " Previous topic | Next topic
organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Tue Apr-16-13 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How much would these artists cost to book? "

I throw events on the side/as a hobby here in China and I'd like to bring my first rapper from the states. Definitely needs to be affordable as the market here is small. I've done a few A-list drum & bass DJs for bargain prices (less than $1,000 for the fee, not including transport/hotel/etc).

How much do you think the following artists would cost to book?

- GZA
- Pep Love
- Phife Dawg
- CL Smooth
- Kool Herc

Anybody with experience?

-----------------------------
http://www.shenzhenphotos.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
$1000 is probably on the light side for those guys.
Apr 16th 2013
RE: $1000 is probably on the light side for those guys.
Apr 16th 2013
There's exclusive and non-exclusive representation.
Apr 17th 2013
      gotcha. thanks for spelling that out.
Apr 17th 2013
damn, Kool Herc quoted for $8K
Apr 17th 2013
      For what you're asking, that's not terribly out of line.
Apr 18th 2013
           i see where you're coming from
Apr 18th 2013
                He has to fly back, doesn't he?
Apr 18th 2013
I would think your best bet would be to try organize a mini tour
Apr 18th 2013
esp for $1000
Apr 18th 2013
of course. forgot to mention that.
Apr 19th 2013
gza is w/ the agency group
Apr 18th 2013
More $5,000, but the seasons actually mean the most.
Apr 18th 2013
who gonna fly to CHINA for $500?
Apr 18th 2013
      I didn't even read that it was China, I was just talking about rates pe...
Apr 18th 2013
RE: How much would these artists cost to book?
Apr 18th 2013
budget
Apr 19th 2013

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16157 posts
Tue Apr-16-13 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "$1000 is probably on the light side for those guys."
In response to Reply # 0

But it depends on their level of desperation. I imagine Phife and GZA are doing fine with royalties, but maybe somebody like Herc, not so much. Doesn't cost you anything to inquire:

http://www.globaltalentbooking.com/booking-phife-dawg
http://www.amentertainment.com/artist-booking/kool-dj-herc

Etc.

organix
855 posts
Tue Apr-16-13 11:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: $1000 is probably on the light side for those guys."
In response to Reply # 1

>But it depends on their level of desperation. I imagine Phife
>and GZA are doing fine with royalties, but maybe somebody like
>Herc, not so much. Doesn't cost you anything to inquire:
>
>http://www.globaltalentbooking.com/booking-phife-dawg
>http://www.amentertainment.com/artist-booking/kool-dj-herc
>
>Etc.

im afraid of most of these agents, because there seem to be infinite agents representing these guys. that can't be possible...they can't all have a direct line to the artists. i want to cut out as many middlemen as possible. i'll check those links, but do you have any idea how to find their closest/exclusive agent? part of my success with drum & bass DJs is that i've been able to deal with them directly.

on a side note, what would you imagine phife and gza are making per year from royalties? just curious...

Buck
16157 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 12:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "There's exclusive and non-exclusive representation."
In response to Reply # 2

Exclusive means that the agent is the sole representative of the artist, who has typically signed a contract to that effect, and all inquiries go through that agency. Non-exclusive deals mean that the agent works for the artist on a freelance, per show, per venue basis, and contracts are only signed for the particular event the agency booked.

There are pros and cons for both agent and artist for each kind of deal. An artist who is prepared and able to tour regularly, for example, might look for an exclusive deal, because the logistics of setting up, say, a 30-day, 25-show tour is best handled by a single agency, rather than trying to coordinate that with multiple agencies. That also allows for different sorts of billing, and for the agency to coordinate with PR staff and transportation and such.

On the other hand, an artist more interested in special events and one-off shows might look for several non-exclusive deals with various agencies, because particular agencies tend to have particular relationships with certain venues and festivals and whatnot. So it makes sense for an artist for whom tight scheduling isn't a concern to simply say to a group of agencies, "I'm interested in one or two special appearances a month, this size venue, this sort of crowd: see what you all can drum up for me."

The guys you listed are pretty much in that second category, so it makes sense that you're seeing multiple representatives associated with them. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you have questions about legitimacy, just ask around for references.

As for royalties, man, I have no idea what sort of publishing and performance contracts Tribe and Wu-Tang signed with their record companies and publishers, or how each group assigned rights. I know they both sold a lot of records and got a lot of radio play, so I assume they have *something* coming in, but who knows? Refer to Industry Rule #4080...

organix
855 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 11:26 AM

4. "gotcha. thanks for spelling that out. "
In response to Reply # 3

and im not really surprised i haven't heard back from a single agency yet after i told them that i'm "underground" and have a small budget.

organix
855 posts
Wed Apr-17-13 11:03 PM

5. "damn, Kool Herc quoted for $8K"
In response to Reply # 1

craziness. that's why i think these agencies are sharks. you really think kool herc pulls that much weight at home in the states?

Buck
16157 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 09:25 AM

6. "For what you're asking, that's not terribly out of line."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Apr-18-13 09:26 AM by Buck

You're in China, right? Herc probably lives in the NYC area, so that's at least 40-50 hours of flight time to Beijing, round trip, possibly more, plus whatever additional travel time is necessary to get wherever you are. 2 full days in an airplane, and another day on each end of the trip just to rest and de-jet lag. And if he's going all the way to China, I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to do a day or two of sightseeing, so pretty much you're asking for a week of his life, including the actual event appearance.

Herc also has also racked up some serious medical bills lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's aiming a little high to assist with that.

Agency fee is probably 10%, possibly 15%, so his pay would actually be a little more than $7K. After taxes, maybe $5500. Honestly, I think that's about right.

organix
855 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 10:06 AM

7. "i see where you're coming from"
In response to Reply # 6

but transport from the east coast is 24 hours tops. ive been doing it for 10 years now. i see your logic but i doubt that's his market value for dj gigs, to say nothing of my inability to afford it or draw a sizeable crowd here who knows jack about kool herc. it seems that pulling a rapper or DJ from the states will be harder than i thought. i guess i need somebody to look at it as a free china vacation or sth.

Buck
16157 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 10:08 AM

8. "He has to fly back, doesn't he?"
In response to Reply # 7

>but transport from the east coast is 24 hours tops.

I was counting both ways.

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 01:58 PM

9. "I would think your best bet would be to try organize a mini tour"
In response to Reply # 0

or something. Try and find some other promoters around so you all could organize something worth everyone's while. Flying to china for 1 gig doesn't seem practicle.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 02:03 PM

10. "esp for $1000"
In response to Reply # 9

organix
855 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 01:57 AM

16. "of course. forgot to mention that. "
In response to Reply # 9

>or something. Try and find some other promoters around so
>you all could organize something worth everyone's while.
>Flying to china for 1 gig doesn't seem practicle.

i could probably get them another date in Hong Kong, and possibly Shanghai and Beijing as well. so it would be something like 4 gigs spread out over 10 days. at worst it would be 2 dates over the course of a weekend.

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 03:35 PM

11. "gza is w/ the agency group"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theagencygroup.com/artist.aspx?ArtistID=7287

contact the booker. most of the times guys have shows 6 months out in advance, sometimes if the location is along the route you can get them to perform as long as you can accommodate with their standards

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "More $5,000, but the seasons actually mean the most."
In response to Reply # 0

October-November, and January-March, you can get them cheapest. But Summertime, prices can double or triple. And it also depends on the day of the week...$1,000 might work for a Tuesday, maybe even $500, while it'll be $2,500-$5,000 for a Friday or Saturday, and $2,000 for a Sunday.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 05:37 PM

13. "who gonna fly to CHINA for $500?"
In response to Reply # 12

>.......$1,000 might work for a
>Tuesday, maybe even $500,

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I didn't even read that it was China, I was just talking about rates pe..."
In response to Reply # 13

Travel is a whole different level of fees

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 09:59 PM

14. "RE: How much would these artists cost to book? "
In response to Reply # 0

I see you have $1000 as your performance budget, but what's your total overhead (artist flight to/from, hotel, venue costs, promotion, etc.)?

how many fans are you looking to bring in @ how much a head?

I put on a show with a singer in CA that put me at about 5k in total costs but we had about 400 people at $$25 a head, so it wasn't too bad at all.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

organix
855 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 02:04 AM

17. "budget"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Apr-19-13 02:05 AM by organix

>I see you have $1000 as your performance budget, but what's
>your total overhead (artist flight to/from, hotel, venue
>costs, promotion, etc.)?

i don't have an exact budget. my highest grossing gig to date pulled in nearly 2 grand, which made some profit and had no "headliner". its all about concepts here. i've broken even on 1.5 grand before on a big DJ, which felt good. so i think its somewhere in that 1-2 grand ballpark, and thats a GOOD event with a major hustle required.

>how many fans are you looking to bring in @ how much a head?

i would say anywhere between 100-300 (lower end more likely). can't charge much bc people don't know the music here. in the past i have charged $25 at the door which included an open bar. single tickets no drink, about $10. a bigger name might be able to pull in $15. all these fees shared with the venue.

>
>I put on a show with a singer in CA that put me at about 5k in
>total costs but we had about 400 people at $$25 a head, so it
>wasn't too bad at all.

thats great. get some well deserved reward for your hard work. wish it were that easy for me.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2796773 Previous topic | Next topic