Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2791782

Subject: "So Femi and Seun *have* performed together" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So Femi and Seun *have* performed together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKySw_fBy60

I don't know but to me this is all kinds of dope.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks for this.
Mar 30th 2013
saw Femi live couple of months ago. he looked MUCH older
Mar 31st 2013
This made me realize I need to revaluate Femi as a saxplayer
Apr 01st 2013
      Femi is serious about his musicianship.
Apr 01st 2013
           i've been listening to a lot of fela lately
Apr 01st 2013
           I always made the Miles electric connection myself
Apr 01st 2013
                Miles in 73 looks like Fela in 71, Fela in 78 looks like Miles in 73
Apr 01st 2013
                re : in the video that they are cool but not 'cool'.
Apr 04th 2013
                BTW I don't have my copy you remember the quote?
Apr 02nd 2013
                re : Want to say a lot more about this but maybe when my hands are less ...
Apr 04th 2013
           interesting.....i thought his sax playing was his weakness
Apr 01st 2013
           he clocked 3+ minutes of a circular breathing note today
Jun 24th 2013
I'd never seen this before either... interesting.
Apr 01st 2013
I'm mad the sound quality ain't up to par...
Apr 01st 2013
lol it's so hard to make out, I thought he was doing "All Gold Everythin...
Apr 01st 2013
RE: So Femi and Seun *have* performed together
Apr 03rd 2013
Hmmmm
Apr 24th 2013
And speaking of his twitter
May 24th 2013
dope nm
Apr 24th 2013

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Sat Mar-30-13 10:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Thanks for this."
In response to Reply # 0

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Sun Mar-31-13 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "saw Femi live couple of months ago. he looked MUCH older"
In response to Reply # 0

than he looked in the shoki shoki era so was expecting the concert to be wack.....
shit was fiyah and the songs on the new album sound promising (didn't like that africa charity album)
all my nigerian friends tell me seun is better so i'll check some of his stuff

~~~~~~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 01:48 PM

3. "This made me realize I need to revaluate Femi as a saxplayer"
In response to Reply # 2

I think I'd heard signs of it before. Come to think of it when I saw him live he was blowing but I wasn't paying so much attention to it. But yeah thinking of him as on sax first may change my perception of him.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Femi is serious about his musicianship."
In response to Reply # 3

You can tell he works hard on his sax playing, and then he picked up keys and trumpet too and developed pretty fast on them as well. He's a much better sax player than his father.

But I guess where the criticism comes in is that his playing is a bit too "clean"... which is one of the reasons people tend to prefer Seun, because he plays more with that raw, rough-edged abandon Fela did. Femi seems inspired by a lot of players that we would today call "smooth jazz" (especially when he does that Kenny G-esque circular breathing) like Fela was more free jazz-influenced.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 02:29 PM

6. "i've been listening to a lot of fela lately"
In response to Reply # 5

watching a lot of clips and such. and i'm coming off a heavy miles electric period. so i'm realizing there's some cross fertilization there which has yet gone unsaid.

thinking of femi as the sax and seun as the voice is good good. let's hope one day they figure that out in the studio.

femi definitely has more edge than kenny g, and circular breathing is no joke. especially if you're doing it and still hitting phrases. femi may be onto something.

a thought i had was a continueation of trane's aesthetic toward the instrument. fela was talented but he never had that. Seun is dope dope dope, but trapped in a shadow.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I always made the Miles electric connection myself"
In response to Reply # 6

though lately I've been more interested in exploring the influence of model Miles and Birth of the Cool Miles.

What influence Fela might have had on Miles is something I have not given a lot of thought to, but is certainly worth examining, especially as Miles saw fit to namecheck him in his autobio and Miles didn't just talk about nobody for no reason at all.

>thinking of femi as the sax and seun as the voice is good
>good. let's hope one day they figure that out in the studio.

Yeah, but they're just too different artistically and philosophically... it would be nice if they were eventually able to form some sort of brother act, and it would be a significant move symbolically too... but I think it's unlikely.

>femi definitely has more edge than kenny g, and circular
>breathing is no joke. especially if you're doing it and still
>hitting phrases. femi may be onto something.

No doubt... I didn't want it to see like I was slighting the technical acuity necessary to play in that manner. Frankly, Kenny is a badass himself, though he committed long ago to being an easy listening pop musician.

>a thought i had was a continueation of trane's aesthetic
>toward the instrument. fela was talented but he never had
>that. Seun is dope dope dope, but trapped in a shadow.

Agree on both counts. Want to say a lot more about this but maybe when my hands are less full.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 09:50 PM

10. "Miles in 73 looks like Fela in 71, Fela in 78 looks like Miles in 73"
In response to Reply # 7

>though lately I've been more interested in exploring the
>influence of model Miles and Birth of the Cool Miles.

Assuming you're talking image here but say more.

>What influence Fela might have had on Miles is something I
>have not given a lot of thought to, but is certainly worth
>examining, especially as Miles saw fit to namecheck him in his
>autobio and Miles didn't just talk about nobody for no reason
>at all.

The more I think about it the clearer it becomes. If you start with In A Silent Way into Bitches Brew you have a really americanized free sound, but by Jack Johnson and forward there's something else brewing up. By 1974 he had kente patterns and full percussion sections. And the way he started managing musicians by that time was Fela-esque to a tee.

The question is when did Miles first encounter Fela.

Obviously Miles could have had influence from afar on Fela much earlier, and so again I'm wondering how you see that. But right before the end of Africa 70 he really had a true Miles-esque set up and look.

>Yeah, but they're just too different artistically and
>philosophically... it would be nice if they were eventually
>able to form some sort of brother act, and it would be a
>significant move symbolically too... but I think it's
>unlikely.

I won't give up hope, but that's really too bad. It's interesting that you can sort of see in the video that they are cool but not 'cool'. Seun felt obligated.

>>a thought i had was a continueation of trane's aesthetic
>>toward the instrument. fela was talented but he never had
>>that. Seun is dope dope dope, but trapped in a shadow.
>
>Agree on both counts. Want to say a lot more about this but
>maybe when my hands are less full.

I wish Seun would follow the "African Problems" style a bit deeper, I think he could actually come up with something new and unique, but not retreading his pops. I do wonder if he leads the band really. Like really really. He'll of course be the figurehead but is it more their musical direction than his.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 06:11 PM

15. "re : in the video that they are cool but not 'cool'."
In response to Reply # 10

yeah that is first thing i noticed. seun tries to give femi a hug and femi is like "nigga dont get no sweat on me." and the way he dipped so fast from the stage.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Apr-02-13 11:16 AM

12. "BTW I don't have my copy you remember the quote?"
In response to Reply # 7

>examining, especially as Miles saw fit to namecheck him in his
>autobio and Miles didn't just talk about nobody for no reason
>at all.

It's more than this one right "Afrobeat will be one of the musics of the future"

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 06:07 PM

14. "re : Want to say a lot more about this but maybe when my hands are less ..."
In response to Reply # 7

looking forward to that.

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 10:02 PM

11. "interesting.....i thought his sax playing was his weakness"
In response to Reply # 5

at least at the live show
i mainly attributed it to his age and the activity level he maintained while on stage
he had just arrived from nigeria (i assume under dressed) and it was FREEZING that day, iono if that's a suitable plea cop but yea lol

~~~~~~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 12:21 AM

19. "he clocked 3+ minutes of a circular breathing note today"
In response to Reply # 5

>(especially
>when he does that Kenny G-esque circular breathing) like Fela
>was more free jazz-influenced.

It was towards the beginning of the set and I think done at that time just to punctuate the fact that he could do it. But it took two minutes for the crowd to realize it. That shit kinda pissed me off. My daughter (of course) knows about circular breathing and got it pretty quick. We were like the only ones cheering him on at first and then folk around us started picking up on it.

He didn't pick the sax up agin for three more songs though and by then I had to step back and deal with the other two kids so couldn't really focus on the performance. And the sound was kinda shite. All to say I still need to see him some more because I didn't get a good few solos to judge.

It's funny because I was just talking to a friend the other day about jazz performance tricks... how there's always a level of showmanship until you pull a miles and turn your back to the crowd and even then...

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 02:12 PM

4. "I'd never seen this before either... interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 07:40 PM

8. "I'm mad the sound quality ain't up to par..."
In response to Reply # 0

what's the name of the 1st track Seun performs? The title escapes me.

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Apr-01-13 08:36 PM

9. "lol it's so hard to make out, I thought he was doing "All Gold Everythin..."
In response to Reply # 8

>what's the name of the 1st track Seun performs? The title
>escapes me.

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Wed Apr-03-13 06:18 PM

13. "RE: So Femi and Seun *have* performed together"
In response to Reply # 0

This is cool shit. I remember seeing an interview with Seun a couple of years ago and they asked him about playing with his brother and his response was something like "we aren't really close in age so we don't really have much in common or perform together". This is dope even with the bad quality sound.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 07:27 AM

16. "Hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

Just saw a Seun tweet that he's playing at The Shrine on Saturday perhaps not even for the first time.

Speaking of his twitter, if social media were a barometer, dude could run for President. LOL!!

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri May-24-13 11:37 AM

18. "And speaking of his twitter"
In response to Reply # 16

He's working on the new album with Robert Glasper.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Apr-24-13 09:13 AM

17. "dope nm"
In response to Reply # 0

do or die

Lobby The Lesson topic #2791782 Previous topic | Next topic