Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2785699

Subject: "David Bowie just made me think of Ol' Dirty (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Mar-11-13 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"David Bowie just made me think of Ol' Dirty (link)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMh6GgwFLS0&t=1m13s

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
haha, awesome
Mar 11th 2013
funny because reading this Grantland link on Bowie at lunch today
Mar 11th 2013
RE: funny because reading this Grantland link on Bowie at lunch today
Mar 11th 2013

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-11-13 04:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "haha, awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-11-13 04:29 PM

2. "funny because reading this Grantland link on Bowie at lunch today"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually thought of Dirty as well, thought of maybe making a post but it felt a bit flimsy & the moment passed after eating.

Specifically this part of Klosterman's email when they thought Bowie had died last year, discussing matter-of-factly that rock stars as we originally came to think of them don't really exist anymore.

To a degree, that was true. Cobain might have been the last example of one & he did that by deliberating fighting against the idea of being one but then going out in the most cliche-d rock-myth-chasing fashion possible.

But meanwhile, hip-hop was still producing rock stars throughout the rest of that decade, one of which was most certainly the Old Dirty Bastard who existed in that Bunyan-esque rock-star universe even when hew was still breathing.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9019434/chuck-klosterman-alex-pappademas-david-bowie-career

You know, everyone still uses the term "rock star" incessantly, even though rock stars no longer exist. The idea of the rock star is a constant in our mental culture, but not as an element of our hard reality. Calling someone a "rock star" is like calling someone a "door-to-door salesman" — we all know what it means and we all know what it signifies, but no one occupies its literal designation. Instead, we say things like, "Game designers are the new rock stars" or "Bike messengers are the new rock stars." However, there are no rock stars becoming the new rock stars. That's over. The term is just an abstraction that connotes a specific type of public perception. And it's astounding how much of that specific abstraction is still a straightforward portrait of what David Bowie built in 1972. I realize he based the Ziggy Stardust persona on all these crazy, forgotten weirdoes he met throughout the '60s, but none of them are remotely similar to Bowie's performative vision. It's almost like he made a linguistic leap: "These kinds of artists create a sense of alienation, which means they are figurative aliens, which I will choose to perceive as a literal alien from outer space. And this alien will be obsessed with all the things I am obsessed with, because the alien is still me." It wasn't a reinvention, which everyone likes to claim. It was an invention.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Mar-11-13 05:26 PM

3. "RE: funny because reading this Grantland link on Bowie at lunch today"
In response to Reply # 2

Great read! Thanx for posting.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Lobby The Lesson topic #2785699 Previous topic | Next topic