Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2785147

Subject: "how did Green Day last from coming out of the 90's while alot of ban..." Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 01:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how did Green Day last from coming out of the 90's while alot of ban..."
Sat Mar-09-13 01:14 AM by mistermaxxx08

i saw the latest Rolling Stone magazine with Billie Joe on the cover and it got me thinking these turkeys been rolling for 20 years now and in truth they ain't going nowhere.

so what did Green day do right that other bands didn't to last this long?

was it better music?

better songs?

being a better live act?

being consistant?

what do you attribute there lasting impact to? i can't believe I spelled attribute corectly.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when folks counted them out they came with the "time of your life"
Mar 09th 2013
i agree. the song being used in the Seinfeld finale was huge.
Mar 09th 2013
      yep I graduated that year Seinfield ended that played that song
Mar 09th 2013
Billy Joe Armstrong has a spark to his style (vox, lyrics, guitar,etc
Mar 09th 2013
Well, they're a lot better than R Kelly.
Mar 09th 2013
Green Day is kinda like R. Kelly career wise.
Mar 09th 2013
      Time of your Life was the shit...
Mar 09th 2013
The best punk bands often have a love for other genres
Mar 09th 2013
It was the political album for 13 y/o that saved them
Mar 09th 2013

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 09:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "when folks counted them out they came with the "time of your life""
In response to Reply # 0

which got helped with the Seinfield using it then every high school end party or whatever played that song.

Then they got artsy and made American Idiot and was taken as a real serious band for once and got "critical acclaim" across the board.

So now they set.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 12:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i agree. the song being used in the Seinfeld finale was huge. "
In response to Reply # 1

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "yep I graduated that year Seinfield ended that played that song"
In response to Reply # 3

nonstop

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13967 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 09:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Billy Joe Armstrong has a spark to his style (vox, lyrics, guitar,etc"
In response to Reply # 0

and the band has a spark and overall "swing" "groove" "tightness" to how they "jell" as a unit.

Those factors: how Billy Joe goes at his "thing" and how the band together "jells" takes them far.

Lot's of bands don't have a leader with a "strong" vibe/voice or the band doesn't "swing" "jell", so those bands fade or fall off.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 01:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Well, they're a lot better than R Kelly."
In response to Reply # 0

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 01:37 PM

5. "Green Day is kinda like R. Kelly career wise."
In response to Reply # 4

Started in the early 90's and still relevant in their genre, still making music.
Both have that huge hit everyone knows.
Both are artist that I like some of their stuff but don't need all of it.
I can't take Billy Joe's voice for no more than three songs awful.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 02:54 PM

6. "Time of your Life was the shit..."
In response to Reply # 5

Anytime a punk or rock band makes a ballad like that they get a free pass for life.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 04:41 PM

8. "The best punk bands often have a love for other genres"
In response to Reply # 0

There's that stereotype that punk bands are ruthless for the sake of being ruthless, when in truth they're trying to capture the original rock'n'roll spirit. Along the way, you share a love for pop. People love "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" because most think it's a happy song. Look at the title. People tend to forget it's called "Good Riddance". It's a sarcastic song that was made to represent the good times. It's their way of saying "fuck off".

AMERICAN IDIOT became their golden ticket because of its theme/concept, and that kept them in there. There were countless bands in the scene they were in that went nowhere, or split up and formed 1500 other bands. Green Day were lucky, have a promotional push, and are able to show what they do by doing what they want to do.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Mar-09-13 11:59 PM

9. "It was the political album for 13 y/o that saved them"
In response to Reply # 0

After Nimrod (Which lost them any punk cred they had left but got them plenty of hits) they were lost since the "alternative" scene died and nu-metal clearly wasn't something they could pull off. Warning kinda came and went, it went through the rock station cycle but nothing great came out of it. Luckily Blink 182 & Sum 41 created the huge market of mall punk during that time and they released the perfect "political" album for that time. The songs were some of the strongest & catchiest they'd written since Insomnia. It also benefitted from there being a lack of mainstream rock bands speaking out against Bush, which grew drastically throughout the album's release of singles.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2785147 Previous topic | Next topic