Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2783028

Subject: "David Bowie The next day album thoughts?" Previous topic | Next topic
Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 02:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"David Bowie The next day album thoughts?"
Fri Mar-01-13 02:36 PM by Menphyel7

They say its the best album since Scary Monsters but that's what they always say but have yall heard it what's your thoughts. I'm halfway through its interesting.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Listening now. Adequate reverb on his vocals.
Mar 01st 2013
This is a VERY GOOD David Bowie album.
Mar 01st 2013
this album is really good
Mar 02nd 2013
GREAT album.
Mar 05th 2013
I was honestly excited for this
Apr 04th 2013
try this one
Apr 04th 2013
RE: try this one
Feb 09th 2015
there were some songs in the middle I liked, I listened with some
Apr 04th 2013
The title track is probably the worst thing on it
Apr 04th 2013
      what was the last great Bowie album? Let's Dance?
Apr 04th 2013
           I'd say Scary Monsters
Apr 04th 2013
                hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were singles
Apr 04th 2013
                     RE: hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were sing...
Apr 04th 2013
                     RE: hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were sing...
Apr 04th 2013
                     I came in late so yea I don't see the problem with Lets Dance
Apr 04th 2013
                          I was 7 when it dropped so Let's Dance was really my first impression
Apr 04th 2013
I thought this album was excellent.
Feb 09th 2015
Peace to the Homie.
Apr 13th 2015
RE: Peace to the Homie.
Apr 14th 2015
Amen.
Apr 14th 2015

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Listening now. Adequate reverb on his vocals."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-01-13 06:13 PM by supablak

Sounds like classic Bowie. I'm not mad yet.

also for some reason...the opening track reminds me of Island era Grace Jones.

s.blak
Scary Monsters

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is a VERY GOOD David Bowie album."
In response to Reply # 1

On some, "forgot about Dre" schitt.

s.blak
Classic

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Sat Mar-02-13 08:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "this album is really good "
In response to Reply # 0

smoothcriminal12
Member since Jan 07th 2012
405 posts
Tue Mar-05-13 08:08 PM

4. "GREAT album. "
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 01:10 AM

5. "I was honestly excited for this"
In response to Reply # 0

Then I got maybe two songs in and thought, ehhhh maybe not. Someone convince me it's worth the full listen with one song you think is undeniable (hopefully not the first two tracks).

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 01:47 AM

6. "try this one"
In response to Reply # 5

if you can see me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYKdwUba2k

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 10:11 AM

16. "RE: try this one"
In response to Reply # 6

Heard this song in the record store yesterday. Had no clue the new Bowie had shit on it like this. I love this song!

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 03:21 AM

7. "there were some songs in the middle I liked, I listened with some"
In response to Reply # 5

headphones one night & recall feeling like he might have some cuts in there but I can't really remember which ones by title outside of 'I'd Rather Be High'.

It felt like a Bowie album though, need to spend more time actually listening to it with my undivided attention before making a full judgement.

I wasn't crazy about the opening of the album either, for what's it's worth.

The single/video was 'eh' but felt welcome in the context of the album playing in full.

ZipZapZopZoup
Member since May 09th 2005
1784 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 10:12 AM

8. "The title track is probably the worst thing on it"
In response to Reply # 5

It gets better from there, though there are a few too many tracks on the whole. If they'd trimmed it down to 10 or 11 songs, it would be a solid record. As it is, it's just another late period Bowie album, no better than Reality or Heathen.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:21 PM

9. "what was the last great Bowie album? Let's Dance?"
In response to Reply # 8

>It gets better from there, though there are a few too many
>tracks on the whole. If they'd trimmed it down to 10 or 11
>songs, it would be a solid record. As it is, it's just another
>late period Bowie album, no better than Reality or Heathen.

ZipZapZopZoup
1784 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 12:45 PM

10. "I'd say Scary Monsters"
In response to Reply # 9

Let's Dance has never been one of my faves, aside from the singles. I think Modern Love may be his last truly great song.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 02:32 PM

11. "hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were singles"
In response to Reply # 10

(that number can go up to 6 of 9 depending on if you got the reissue that slapped 'Under Pressure' on it).

of the remaining three that weren't:
-'Criminal World' is a dope cover (with a mean bass line & some nice SRV solos) that exposed Metro to a whole new audience.

-I don't love 'Ricochet' but it's a more *Bowie* sounding song than most of the other stuff on it and one the 'he's my guy, not yours' type of devoted Bowie fans often cite as their favorite on the album. To me it sounds a bit out of place in the context, the one song on the album where the Bowie/Nile mix sorta clashes rather than meshes.

-Shake It is undeniably funky, that song could have surely worked as a single if they tried to milk one more or hadn't tried to switch it up with a more ballad-leaning single for 'Without You' which sorta stalled the momentum after 'Modern Love' commercially even tho I love it. But Shake It would have been a bigger commercial success, sounds almost like a Young Americans song fed thru a 80s/Prince-synth-filter.

I think Let's Dance gets a bit unfairly hated on in retrospect by diehard Bowie fans because of the success it had and the after effects that seemed to derail his career during the mid-80s (though who's to say that there wouldn't have been slippage anyway the same way there was for Stevie Wonder in the same time frame or Prince in the decade after......there's only so long you can sustain the level of creative peak & cultural zeitgeist they were at during the 70's & 80's respectively).

But on its own merits?

With three of his biggest hits ever, overseen by Nile Rodgers during his production/session-work post-Chic peak, the studio band featuring a then-unsigned Stevie Ray Vaughn as it's lead guitarist, the melding of blues licks with dance music drums, Bowie clearly enjoying himself in yet another incarnation.......it sorta fits most objectively-subjective qualifications for a 'classic album'.

I think sometimes Bowie's fans & some revision-inclined music journalist tend to conflate this album along with 'Tonight' as if they're the part of the same record when they're really not.

Let's Dance was a monster that almost or to some degree did seem to eat Bowie but that stuff was all triggered by the album being strong enough to be able to have that affect on the public in the first place.

But yet every Bowie album since the 90s features at least a few early critics to call the new album 'his best album since Scary Monsters' as if Let's Dance is a tiny hurdle, which I can't help but think is in big part rooted in it being his biggest commercial success along with some of the comments he later made about how he became confused/uncomfortable with the new audience this album gained him.

ZipZapZopZoup
1784 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 02:40 PM

12. "RE: hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were sing..."
In response to Reply # 11

Yeah, I meant Let's Dance/Modern Love/China Girl.

I'd forgotten that Without You was a single too, and wasn't the Cat People single the original version from the film?

I had no idea that Under Pressure had been added, either. When did that happen?

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 04:55 PM

14. "RE: hard to say 'aside from the singles' tho when 5 of 8 songs were sing..."
In response to Reply # 12

>Yeah, I meant Let's Dance/Modern Love/China Girl.
>
>I'd forgotten that Without You was a single too, and wasn't
>the Cat People single the original version from the film?
>
I think so but I still counted it, love both versions of that song & Inglorious Bastards gave it a revival (can't remember which version they used in the theater scene but it was perfect).

>I had no idea that Under Pressure had been added, either. When
>did that happen?
>
one of the CD reissues sometime in the 90's.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 03:10 PM

13. "I came in late so yea I don't see the problem with Lets Dance"
In response to Reply # 11

I think cause Bowie blames that album for his downfall and he said he was tryin to please his new fans the rock critics turn on the album 2..it was one quote he said something like "I was standing in front of a sea of fans and i knew these people had never heard of Velet Underground and I felt a real disconnect with my audience I did'nt know what they wanted"

but I can just listen to the music and LEts dance is increidble espically with Stevie RAy Vaughn killing it...I heard all the sessions from that album with Vaughn and you can tell they was having fun.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-04-13 05:08 PM

15. "I was 7 when it dropped so Let's Dance was really my first impression"
In response to Reply # 13

of Bowie, who was in that early MTV Madonna/MJ/Prince group of icons.

I didn't go back & learn the 70's albums (outside a few songs) until my teens.

But yeah, that album is a classic by most measures, the backlash revisionism has almost made it underrated at this point.

I actually prefer it to Scary Monsters but that's me, I would compromise at critics just not skipping it every time a new album drops.

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 03:09 PM

17. "I thought this album was excellent."
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 10:31 PM

18. "Peace to the Homie. "
In response to Reply # 0

"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 07:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "RE: Peace to the Homie. "
In response to Reply # 18

>
>.
>.
>.
>"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be
>kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

Up!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 01:05 PM

20. "Amen."
In response to Reply # 18

>
>.
>.
>.
>"And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be
>kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." ~ 2 Tim 2:4

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96