Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2781025

Subject: "Prince trying to still be diverse is wicked wick Wack" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince trying to still be diverse is wicked wick Wack"

i have heard them corney songs, third eyed girl or more like third eyed and musically blind.

this relic turkey is truly stuck in a time warp

got one song for R&B

got one song for POP

got one song for starbucks crowd and acoustic? ha ha!!

and to make matters worse being the copy cat turkey he is, he is following behind R.Kelly on the Jimmy Fallon show..

whatever Arruh does Prince does, next he will have a book.

since the King of Pop Michael Jackson is no longer here and we miss MJ, Prince gotta follow the last musical king standing.

88 cents for them garbage tracks? how about 44 cents and 4 songs for free and the pawn shop wouldn't still take them garbages.

i bet prince next will put his wack tracks inside if a box of cracker jacks

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
C'mon man.....
Feb 23rd 2013
prince only counted in the 80's
Feb 24th 2013
      He's still performing right.....
Feb 24th 2013
           alot of acts are performing whats your point?
Feb 24th 2013
speaking of which...
Feb 23rd 2013
havent read a Prince bio since 'A Pop Life' by Dave Hill in the late 80s
Feb 23rd 2013
yeah, that's what I figured too.
Feb 23rd 2013
      DMSR is great from a nerd perspective...
Feb 23rd 2013
      Hmmm... I typically enjoy that kind of thing too
Feb 23rd 2013
      DMSR the first decade is all you need and it covers his only
Feb 24th 2013
I enjoyed it
Feb 23rd 2013
      the new one?
Feb 23rd 2013
           By Matt Thorne?
Feb 24th 2013
           yup.
Feb 24th 2013
           RE: the new one?
Feb 24th 2013
                oh lawd.
Feb 24th 2013
Go drink some piss
Feb 23rd 2013
Trapped in the Closet chapters 23-33 trailer..
Feb 23rd 2013
Hahahahaha!!!
Feb 24th 2013
How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?
Feb 24th 2013
RE: How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?
Feb 24th 2013
RE: How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?
Feb 24th 2013
RE: Prince trying to still be diverse is wicked wick Wack
Feb 24th 2013

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 02:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "C'mon man....."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-23-13 02:55 PM by blueeclipse

You're shitting on Prince and still finding a way to big up Kells. LOL.

Anyways, Prince's problem is tht he can't get out of his own way and in a way the Warner Bros. situation actually made him focus his projects into a more accessible package. People shit on music labels all the time but as a product, if we're looking at music in the frame of a marketable album, then there's Prince before Warner Bros. and AFTER Warner. Prince got his freedom but at what cost? You can go look at the Dream Factory project from '85-'86 and Prince turned it in and it woulda be a 3 LP package and Warner said it was too much and needed to be scaled down. They were right. We got Sign 'O Times which was classic. The songs left off weren't even filler either. But we got a more focused accessible album. There really wasn't a such thing as Prince filler back then.

Nowadays there is a lot of Prince filler. But when Prince is on he STILL destroys shit around him, just wrecks shit. We don't have to be in that mode where we have to bring an artist down just for comparisons sake. Prince has earned the right not to have his current stuff picked over like he was never PRINCE>prince. That being said, some of his new stuff is all over the place. But when he's on he's still ON. I'll dig through it for those one or two JAMS.

Empty Room? Come on man. That shit is a fuckin JAM. There wasn't much that Prince released at that time that was hittin but that shit more than made up for it.

While you shit on Prince, understand that the dude was and IS a virtuoso musician, and especially and INCREDIBLE guitar player. The sheer amount of awesome material that has come out of this dude is almost without equal in the last 30 years.

BTW Kells ain't touching Prince in his prime either.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 01:03 AM

12. "prince only counted in the 80's"
In response to Reply # 1

the 70's,90's,00's and now is overall blah IMO.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 02:18 AM

14. "He's still performing right....."
In response to Reply # 12

The songs still fuckin jam right? Then he matters. He'll matter when he's gone when I'm gone and when you're gone.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 02:24 AM

15. "alot of acts are performing whats your point?"
In response to Reply # 14

and his performances from acts from the 80's ain't nothing special.

and nobody has talked about a new Prince song since Malcolm jamal warner had a high top.

alot of acts are playing county fairs and places no biggie.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "speaking of which..."
In response to Reply # 0

>whatever Arruh does Prince does, next he will have a
>book.

Anybody read that new Prince bio from the UK?

Was thinking of taking a look at it... is it worth it?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 05:32 PM

3. "havent read a Prince bio since 'A Pop Life' by Dave Hill in the late 80s"
In response to Reply # 2

just always assumed the lack of input & access would make it not worth it.

I'd be open to reading one if someone told me otherwise.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yeah, that's what I figured too."
In response to Reply # 3

People kinda swear by Dance Sex Music Romance, though, right? I haven't read that...

Ronin Ro put out one last year... It was so poorly written and edited that I had to put it down before the second chapter. But this new one (can't even remember the author right now) seems to have gotten some favorable reviews...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 06:43 PM

5. "DMSR is great from a nerd perspective..."
In response to Reply # 4

there's a big appendix where Prince's recording-sessions are listed and the book goes into details about tours, lost albums etc. However, it's not very personal and it doesn't really try to explain Prince as a person.

Personally, I always prefered nerdy biographies or books that focused on indepth music analysis etc. above stuff that focused on background, personal life, viewpoints etc.; I don't know why, that type of stuff has never really interested me too much which is why I don't like Miles Davis and Quincy Troupe's book as much as most others do (Mingus ''Beneath the underdog'' is awesome though but that one is great fiction to me).

So basically, I enjoyed the book a lot and I'm not a fanatic by any means...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 07:45 PM

8. "Hmmm... I typically enjoy that kind of thing too"
In response to Reply # 5

but it depends on that artist... Not sure I want that from a Prince book per se, but it could still be interesting, I guess.

Thanks for the info!

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 01:02 AM

11. "DMSR the first decade is all you need and it covers his only"
In response to Reply # 4

era that truly counts with his music. good book and creepy toward the end.

ZipZapZopZoup
Member since May 09th 2005
1784 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 07:19 PM

6. "I enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 2

Not a tonne of revelatory stuff (and their a few glaring mistakes), but it was nice to read new interviews with many of his past associates.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 07:45 PM

9. "the new one?"
In response to Reply # 6

ZipZapZopZoup
1784 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 01:31 AM

13. "By Matt Thorne?"
In response to Reply # 9

>

http://www.amazon.ca/Prince-Matt-Thorne/dp/0571273491/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361687479&sr=1-2

This one?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 02:56 AM

16. "yup."
In response to Reply # 13

Red07
Member since Oct 19th 2005
482 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 05:55 AM

18. "RE: the new one?"
In response to Reply # 9

Toure was in Boston yesterday ding a book signing of his new Prince book due out next month.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 08:50 AM

20. "oh lawd."
In response to Reply # 18

ZipZapZopZoup
1784 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 07:20 PM

7. "Go drink some piss"
In response to Reply # 0

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Feb-23-13 09:47 PM

10. "Trapped in the Closet chapters 23-33 trailer.."
In response to Reply # 0

lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJHxg6FXqZs

wonder if the midget is gonna shit again...lolol.

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 03:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Hahahahaha!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-24-13 03:17 AM by Ashley Ayers

>88 cents for them garbage tracks? how about 44 cents and 4
>songs for free and the pawn shop wouldn't still take them
>garbages.
>
>i bet prince next will put his wack tracks inside if a
>box of cracker jacks

This is mad funny because of the time he put his album in the newspaper. A free download inside Cracker Jacks
would be a guaranteed sale, so it's not really that outlandish to suggest he might do something like that.
Knowing him, it would be inside some non-gmo flaxseed or something.
Lmfao, man that's fuckin' hilarious.
I ain't mad at Prince, though. He's still coming up with innovative ways to get paid for his work, because
he values his own music, first and foremost, before anyone else has the chance to say whether or not it's
worth anything. As an artist, I have to respect that. I'm not feeling much of this new stuff he's doing,
but he remains an inspiration if only on the business side of things.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 08:32 AM

19. "How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?"
In response to Reply # 0

Both of them had their heyday. Both of them tour mainly on past hits. However, unlike most of the disco groups, Prince keeps making new music - even if most of it isn't as good as his prime.

It's a serious double standard.

I think it's really weird the way people will root for or against artists like they're sports teams.

--

jshua
Member since Jan 28th 2005
181 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 09:53 AM

21. "RE: How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?"
In response to Reply # 19

Simple,
That S-curl Maxx had back in the day has Mad effects later on in life..

http://www.myspace.com/jshua1618

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 12:56 PM

23. "RE: How can you big up disco acts while clowning Prince?"
In response to Reply # 19

prince had disco influence on his earlier records.

also prince ain't made a memorable record since about 87.

and prince himself over the past decade has covered songs by Sylvester, a taste of honey, and some other acts that hit during the disco era.

Prince is known also as a dance music artist which is another name for disco.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sun Feb-24-13 10:29 AM

22. "RE: Prince trying to still be diverse is wicked wick Wack"
In response to Reply # 0

R Kelly was the first artist to perform on Fallon, really? You gone officially crazy man.

I'll play, Arruh playing Bonaroo is following Prince's lead at Coachella

Lobby The Lesson topic #2781025 Previous topic | Next topic