Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2780248

Subject: " "Life is Good" and "Cole World" - classic material?" Previous topic | Next topic
L0WD0WN
Member since Oct 11th 2010
212 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
" "Life is Good" and "Cole World" - classic material?"

To me, these two albums are the best examples of a complete body of work within the hip hop genre in past 5 years. They play like albums as opposed to a collection of iTunes singles like most releases nowadays. Both display great story telling, cohesiveness, and honestly over production that suits the MC's style perfectly.

After listening to "Life as Good" at least 50 times, I went back and listened to every Nas album just so I could be sure I wasn't hyping it up solely because it was that "new Nas shit". After doing so, I can safely say that from beginning to end, I prefer this album over all Nas albums excluding Illmatic and for him to release an album like this in today's environment is truly impressive.

With Cole World, it was one of those albums where I had no expectations whatsoever and in fact, hadn't heard a single song from the man before purchasing the album. I literally bought it on a whim because I needed something new to listen to and was extremely surprised to discover how amazing it was from beginning to end (IMO).

Both of these albums stay in steady rotation in my car and ipod to this day and are definitely "personal classics" to me. Having said that, given the typical debate about "classic vs. dope album", "cultural impact" and the like, is it possible that these two albums may just go down in history as true "classics" for the following reasons:

"Life is Good": After years of debate between Nas fans, non-Nas fans and some-time Nas fans, this seems to be the first album where everyone was satisfied. The fans were proud, the haters couldn't really find a reason to hate (aside from Summer on Smash) and the some-timers were claiming it was Nas' return to form. For lack of a better term, it felt like a comeback album, much the same as "Mama Said knock You Out" did for LL. In addition, it was a daring album that record execs likely wouldn't even allow most artists to release since it sounded nothing like the current state of "what's hot". Top that off with 4 Grammy nods and I think you have a strong case for a classic that will stick.

"Cole World": Dope music aside, I think this is going to be one of those albums that people look back on as being the "birth" of a hip hop superstar, much like GRODT was for 50 cent. Yes, I admit it is early but I truly believe that J. Cole will eventually be the younger generations Nas or Jay Z eventually. Some of you are probably laughing right now but keep in mind, it took Jay Z a long time to become "Jay Z". In ten years, these guys will be over 50 and out of the game. Naturally, a new line of hip hop elite will take their place and I think J Cole will be one of those artists.

www.newzbomb.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
umm
Feb 21st 2013
Cole's new album is about to crush his first.
Feb 21st 2013
Hell no to Cole World
Feb 21st 2013
RE: Hell no to Cole World
Feb 21st 2013
no to both
Feb 21st 2013
Cole World is brutally boring.
Feb 21st 2013
RE: Cole World is brutally boring.
Feb 21st 2013
      Club bangers ain't my thing at all.
Feb 21st 2013
neither are classics
Feb 21st 2013

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 12:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "umm"
In response to Reply # 0

Cole World....fuck no.....that album was decent but I feel like it could have/should have been better. To be honest Friday Night Lights is probably better imo. Too many average songs/stuff that sounded kinda forced

Life Is Good is an album that I really enjoyed, but it has its flaws...like the song with MJB and the absolute shit show that is "Summer On Smash"...if some of the songs where exchanged with the bonus tracks(which ended up being some of the best songs) I wouldn't have a problem with the argument...thats just me

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 01:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Cole's new album is about to crush his first."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-21-13 01:38 AM by Ashley Ayers

He had to rush that album because Friday Night Lights was supposed to be his first album.

Took his time on this album and was able to make the music he wanted to make and put time into it.

New joints from it:
Miss America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwpdlDYLbE
Power Trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdmnkXABqV0

About the post though. Yeah, they were decent albums, lol. I only listen to certain joints
off both though. Life Is Good just wasn't as good an album as everybody seems to think, imo. Yes,
it was good... but just good for me, personally. Cole World sounded exactly like what it was, to me...
a rushed album... especially knowing
what Cole is capable of. I do agree with you sentiments concerning him though. I did a post a long time ago
about how he was important to the culture and would be successful because he's focused on making good
music, is humble, and dedicated to his craft. He's only getting better and better with time.

cjr2221
Member since Sep 04th 2011
1790 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 08:29 AM

3. "Hell no to Cole World"
In response to Reply # 0

his mixtapes both shit on Cole World; I'd say Friday Night Lights is a top 10 mixtape all time though.

Life is Good may go down as classic, it's Nas's fourth best release (Lost Tapes wins out) and 3rd best album imo.

L0WD0WN
212 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 10:10 PM

7. "RE: Hell no to Cole World"
In response to Reply # 3

See, I've heard others say that about Friday Night Lights as well so I was pumped when I downloaded it but upon listening, was very underwhelmed. To me, it doesn't hold a candle to Cole World. Just sounded like a mix tape.

>his mixtapes both shit on Cole World; I'd say Friday Night
>Lights is a top 10 mixtape all time though.
>
>Life is Good may go down as classic, it's Nas's fourth best
>release (Lost Tapes wins out) and 3rd best album imo.

www.newzbomb.com

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 08:43 AM

4. "no to both"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 08:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Cole World is brutally boring."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

L0WD0WN
212 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 10:20 PM

8. "RE: Cole World is brutally boring."
In response to Reply # 5

I don't understand this evaluation of Cole World but it's an opinion that is shared by some. To me, the lyricism and story telling is enough on it's own to make this album not boring, but the production is also very good. I mean, it's not all club bangers or anything but that's not really my thing I guess.

www.newzbomb.com

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 10:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Club bangers ain't my thing at all."
In response to Reply # 8

I dunno the production was bland and J Cole himself is missing something. Don't get me wrong he's kinda nice on the mic but he lacks a certain personality factor that makes him impossible for me to listen to.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Thu Feb-21-13 09:09 AM

6. "neither are classics"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2780248 Previous topic | Next topic