Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2777861

Subject: "Sting or Phil Collins whose work has stood the test of time?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Feb-12-13 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sting or Phil Collins whose work has stood the test of time?"

now compile there band stuff and the songs they wrote

there solo careers

and the sampling and covering of there music.

watching sting on stage with Bruno mars as part of the Bob marley tribute reminded me of Sting and his talents because its been many a moon since he has put out anything memorable as a artist

same with Phil Collins

who you roll with here of the two and why?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Sting or Phil Collins whose work has stood the test of time?
Feb 12th 2013
Hmmm...
Feb 12th 2013
Both are superb.
Feb 13th 2013
Pheel
Feb 13th 2013
Did Imcvspl Embarrass You From Doing A Voting Poll?
Feb 13th 2013
i didn't pay that turkey no mind
Feb 13th 2013
Both of them
Feb 13th 2013
i'm a fan of both
Feb 13th 2013
RE: i'm a fan of both
Feb 13th 2013
      because black on black music crime is accepted here
Feb 13th 2013
      lol black on black music crime
Feb 13th 2013
           i give my take on certain artists strengths and wackness
Feb 13th 2013
      there is a thread right now full of people that usually reply with "both...
Feb 13th 2013
           RE: there is a thread right now full of people that usually reply with "...
Feb 13th 2013
I don't like either
Feb 13th 2013
i like that take man
Feb 13th 2013
Hard to say...
Feb 13th 2013
standing ovation on that post
Feb 13th 2013
both...
Feb 13th 2013

MusicBrain
Member since Sep 30th 2009
87 posts
Tue Feb-12-13 10:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Sting or Phil Collins whose work has stood the test of time?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm partial to Collins, Invisible Touch may be poppy as all get out, but I love that track.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockycastro

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Feb-12-13 11:08 PM

2. "Hmmm..."
In response to Reply # 0

I tend to prefer both in a group context. I like *some* of Sting's solo work, but definitely not as much as I like The Police.

I like *some* of Phil Collins' solo work, he has a wealth of hit songs, but definitely not as much as I prefer the work Collins did as the front man of Genesis.

If anything, both examples show how well the unit worked together.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16157 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 01:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Both are superb."
In response to Reply # 0

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 02:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Pheel"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 02:29 AM

5. "Did Imcvspl Embarrass You From Doing A Voting Poll?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-13 02:31 AM by Dj Joey Joe

?????

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 02:45 AM

6. "i didn't pay that turkey no mind"
In response to Reply # 5

i did it my way. this particular debate is good imo

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 03:35 AM

7. "Both of them"
In response to Reply # 0

Especially if we're talking about Sting entire career (solo and The Police)

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 09:18 AM

8. "i'm a fan of both"
In response to Reply # 0

phil probably has more good solo songs. and phil can be extra cheesed, but i still dig him.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Red07
Member since Oct 19th 2005
482 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 10:44 AM

9. "RE: i'm a fan of both"
In response to Reply # 8

both.....its funny that the majority of folks are in agreement. Now, if this were a maxx post with black artists, we'd be having visceral reactions for or against. I never heard "both" as an answer... Why?

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 11:58 AM

10. "because black on black music crime is accepted here"
In response to Reply # 9

phil jaked earth,wind and fire horn grooves and holland,dozier and holland and other acts

sting rode off bob marley and they get a pass

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:02 PM

11. "lol black on black music crime"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Feb-13-13 12:02 PM by Coco la chapelle

Aren't you the one who initiates it most of the time ?

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:10 PM

14. "i give my take on certain artists strengths and wackness"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Feb-13-13 12:11 PM by mistermaxxx08

however if you read the posts here when it comes to R&B acts you notice that over the years that R&B has gotten the "Willie Lynch,Lynch! reaction up in here when compared to other genres.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:07 PM

12. "there is a thread right now full of people that usually reply with "both..."
In response to Reply # 9

>Now, if this were a maxx post with black artists,
>we'd be having visceral reactions for or against. I never
>heard "both" as an answer... Why?

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2776991&mesg_id=2776991&listing_type=search

murph
dr claw
me
jakob

i mean, i could go on.

Red07
Member since Oct 19th 2005
482 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:14 PM

16. "RE: there is a thread right now full of people that usually reply with "..."
In response to Reply # 12

>
>
>
>>Now, if this were a maxx post with black artists,
>>we'd be having visceral reactions for or against. I never
>>heard "both" as an answer... Why?
>
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2776991&mesg_id=2776991&listing_type=search
>
>
>
>murph
>dr claw
>me
>jakob
>
>i mean, i could go on.
>
>
>Generally, Murph and Dr claw or exceptions to the rule. I''ll throw you in as well.. Maxx is correct, black on black assassination is excepted here
>

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:08 PM

13. "I don't like either"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-13-13 12:08 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Both genesis-with or without Gabriel or Collins-and the Police made very bad music to my ears and their solo-careers are not my thing at all.

However, based on their solo-careers, I'd give Phil the edge; he has more memorable songs including some I actually like (In the air tonight and Against all odds) as well as some more fun-type tracks that put me in a good mood when I hear them.

By comparison, Sting feels overtly clever, ''music-school'' and ''mature''-MOR in a bad way as opposed to Phil who at his best was MOR in a pretty good way.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 12:12 PM

15. "i like that take man"
In response to Reply # 13

and you hit it from a different aingle. right on!!

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 02:51 PM

17. "Hard to say..."
In response to Reply # 0

The Police are a much better band to me than Genesis. Genesis went from a turgid prog group a little too far up their own asses, to a very synth-dominated pop machine that had a few good tunes but mostly a lot of silly, slick bullshit. By the time they were doing songs like "I Can't Dance," they were full-on terrible. I still like most of "Abacab" and the occasional dark song they would churn out (like "Mama" - what the hell is that?), and a few other odds and ends. And I'll admit, when "Land of Confusion" comes on the radio, I find it irresistible. But mostly they were not my favorite group; there were a lot of better ones for both prog and pop music.

The Police on the other hand made better hay out of their musicianship. I think the only reason their white reggae thing wasn't more influential is that most of the punk and new wave and pop acts that came after them couldn't play it half as well. Lots of bands dabbled in it a little bit, but only that band could make it into a viable, instantly-recognizable style of their own. Also, for as good of musicians as they were, they seldom lapsed into art school show-offy bullshit; they used their powers for good. Their first album is half a punk record. Their subsequent albums, for the most part, have a very stripped-down and lean sound, all angles and sinew, not a lot of ridiculous wanking just because they could. The songs are great and have aged as well as any pop of that era. We're probably all a little sick of "Every Breath You Take," but otherwise I think their singles all stand up.

Now as solo artists... Phil wins hands down for me. He was a grade-A cracker smeared with almond-crusted cheeseball sometimes, but he also had one of the best pop radio songs ever made ("In the Air Tonight" - it works in any context and makes everything 20% better) and a run of fun singles like "Easy Lover" that I just don't understand how anyone can't enjoy them. Admittedly, he also did stupid shit like "Sussudio" and hokey shit like "Groovy Kind of Love," and basically laid down the Disney balladeer template that Sting also fell into, but I'm inclined to give him a pass just based on his highlight reel. A Phil Collins solo best-of, hand-picked by someone with some damn taste, would be very listenable.

Sting's solo career is practically a betrayal of The Police (unlike Phil's, which was basically just a further evolution of what Genesis was already turning into). I don't have much use for anything he did on his own. He was less inclined to be cheesy than Phil, but he also did not much that I want to hear again; it's all soft and self-important and yuppified. And he did an album of lute music. Sigh.

I think overall I'd give Sting the nod just because I have that much respect for The Police. But if you give him less credit for just being 1/3 of the chemistry of that group, Phil might win in a landslide, despite his flaws.

So it's a split decision, I guess.

--

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 08:43 PM

18. "standing ovation on that post "
In response to Reply # 17

i really dug that man, peace and props on that Man really good take.

javi222
Member since Jun 14th 2003
4374 posts
Wed Feb-13-13 10:24 PM

19. "both..."
In response to Reply # 0

cant pick...

i guess im one of the few that likes sting solo more than police...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2777861 Previous topic | Next topic