Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2773949

Subject: "Have we talked Kendrick's SNL performances?" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 01:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Have we talked Kendrick's SNL performances?"

DTS if we did.... but I went into last weekend hearing people praise a dude I liked, but thought the hype machine was in full effect. Hate all you want, but I've felt like O_E, while hyperbolific (I know it's not a word) isn't far off the mark. He is fresh, and he's better than a lot of what else is out there, but the way people are riding for GKMC, I just have never seen or heard this album y'all did. The beats are nice, but nothing snapped with me. The lyrics are on point, and are Kendrick's strong points. He is that good. And I'll love to hear what he has coming next. But them voices are corny. I've heard people defend them, but I just can't get there.

Point I was trying to get to was, this SNL performance.... I'll play into the cliche but that live backing and that lack of dumb vocal renderings.... this kid could do an Unplugged and take over the world right now.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel the exact opposite..
Jan 30th 2013
agreed, his TV live performances haven't hit the mark for me
Jan 30th 2013
Q and Kendrick killing it live (link)
Jan 30th 2013
yeah when i've seen him live on tv it hasn't been bad
Jan 30th 2013
I think this is why I liked it
Jan 30th 2013
      RE: I think this is why I liked it
Jan 30th 2013
He did nothing for me live. He played the Brooklyn Hip Hop..
Jan 30th 2013
poetic justice was dope
Jan 30th 2013
yeah poetic justice was better
Jan 30th 2013
I only saw "Swimming Pools" not "Poetic Justice"
Jan 30th 2013
No Drake
Jan 30th 2013
All I saw was the "YOLO" video. That was good
Jan 30th 2013

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 02:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I feel the exact opposite.."
In response to Reply # 0

I think he's an amazing recording artist; however, his live performance still misses the mark for me. It felt like his voice was getting drowned out by the band. Also, he played the two songs I wish he wouldn't have played on live tv.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 03:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "agreed, his TV live performances haven't hit the mark for me"
In response to Reply # 1

but I've been lucky enough to actually see his real show out here in LA a few times so I know what he's capable of doing.

Song selection is a big part of the issue but what I've actually seen him do with two-turn-tables-and-a-mic at The Troubadour, The Paladium & Club Nokia (along with his TDE cameos at Shoolboy Q & Ab-Soul shows) have me sold on Kendrick as a live artist.

He takes meticulous care on that end like he does every other aspect.

Give him another album to really figure out how to work with a band on his own headling tour & he'll be cool.

Still best new rap artist of the past 15 years.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 04:22 AM

3. "Q and Kendrick killing it live (link)"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOAmo6yNmI

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 09:18 AM

6. "yeah when i've seen him live on tv it hasn't been bad"
In response to Reply # 1

but hasn't been great either.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 10:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I think this is why I liked it"
In response to Reply # 1

>It felt like his
>voice was getting drowned out by the band.

Jokes. I get what you're saying though. I think that would frustrate me if I was a fan coming into it. I just thought the band sounded good, without doing too many of those over the top flourishes that backing bands love to do with live hip hop. Definitely agree with the below poster about "Poetic Justice" being the better of the two though.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 01:33 PM

11. "RE: I think this is why I liked it"
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah, to be fair, I've never seen him live live. Just on TV.

And as a TV audience member, I just hoped it would be that much better.. because for a lot of people, this would have been their first exposure to him as an artist. His recordings are what won me over. I just don't feel like that SNL performance was capable of that.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 05:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "He did nothing for me live. He played the Brooklyn Hip Hop.."
In response to Reply # 0

...festival a few years ago.

I saw that as an opportune time to get a beef pattie.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Eddy
Member since Jul 07th 2003
2465 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 07:08 AM

5. "poetic justice was dope"
In response to Reply # 0

swimming pools not so much

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 09:19 AM

7. "yeah poetic justice was better"
In response to Reply # 5

those are two of my least favorites on the album too.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 09:30 AM

8. "I only saw "Swimming Pools" not "Poetic Justice""
In response to Reply # 0

I honestly was kind of let down. I didn't feel like there was any energy there, many times it seemed like he had no breath control and couldn't finish is lines, and the song itself doesn't translate well live due to voice of his conscience.

I'll have to checkout the performance of "Poetic Justice" since the person above me said it was better. Was Drake with him to perform?

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 10:20 AM

10. "No Drake"
In response to Reply # 8

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 01:38 PM

12. "All I saw was the "YOLO" video. That was good"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2773949 Previous topic | Next topic