Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2770962

Subject: "new J-Live [Hot vs Dope] Mixtape. what can't he do." Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"new J-Live [Hot vs Dope] Mixtape. what can't he do."
Fri Jan-18-13 02:39 PM by maro

and by mixtape, I mean he's on the wheeeeels

http://mortiermusic.bandcamp.com/album/hotvsdope-vol-2

J-Live "Blast That Intro" 01:27
Nottz feat Black Milk & Royce da 5'9" "Blast That" 02:53
Kweli "Fly Away" 02:07
7even Thirty "Where It's At" 01:17
Pac Div feat Kendrick Lamar & Blu "Cross Trainers" 02:41
Masta Killa "Things Just Aint The Same" 01:28
Consequence feat Estelle "When I Woke Up" 02:56
Substantial "Umoja" 02:05
Rapper Big Pooh "Friends" 01:28
Wu-Block feat Ghostface Killah, Sheek looch & Jadakiss "Stick up Kids" 02:43
Wale feat Scarface "Limitless" 02:48
Sha Stimuli & Dynamite Bruhz feat Skyzoo & Torae "Wrapping Paper" 04:26
Big Boi feat A$AP Rocky & Phantogram "Lines" 02:33
Hannibal Stax "Str8 Smashin" 02:08
Nine "No Country" 02:49
Roc Marciano "Nine Spray" 01:55
Game "Freedom" 02:12
Brother Ali "Fajr" 02:30
Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson feat Planet Asia "Nasty" 02:59
9th Wonder & Buckshot "Pat 'Em Down" 01:45
T.I. feat Andre 3000 "Sorry" 04:51
Earl Sweatshirt "Chum" 01:29
Sean Price feat Pharoahe Monch "That Nigga" 03:04
Ludacris feat Pusha T Future & Swizz Beats "What They Mad For" 02:19
Sha Stimuli & Dynamite Bruhz feat Rapper Big Pooh & J-Live "Transition" 02:58

lurkin since 1999. werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new J-Live [Hot vs Dope] Mixtape. what can't he do.
Jan 18th 2013
one of the illest from the underground in the early 2000s
Jan 18th 2013
Jan 18th 2013
           Damn your east coast bias is strong
Jan 18th 2013
           thats dedicated to all these fellas who come w/ that east coast bias
Jan 18th 2013
           stop jumping to conclusions...
Jan 18th 2013
           RE: Damn your east coast bias is strong
Jan 18th 2013
           RE: Damn your east coast bias is strong
Jan 19th 2013
           RE: ...
Jan 18th 2013
                RE: ...
Jan 18th 2013
                     haha. you had a strong list tho. had to give u a hard time
Jan 19th 2013
                          I've got to weigh in
Jan 19th 2013
                               RE: I've got to weigh in
Jan 22nd 2013
                                    for real man
Jan 22nd 2013
Dl'd right now,...good looks on the assist.
Jan 18th 2013
unofficial Hot vs. Dope A&R checking in
Jan 19th 2013
One of the best
Jan 19th 2013
Ima few joints in,.....dis shit is HEAT!
Jan 19th 2013

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: new J-Live [Hot vs Dope] Mixtape. what can't he do."
In response to Reply # 0

No doubt...duke is a TALENT, and been around forever...a top ten MC EVER...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 06:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "one of the illest from the underground in the early 2000s"
In response to Reply # 1

Def a fantastic mc. Top 10 of all time tho is almost absurd.

Do u think j live rhymes doper than scarub from living legends? Lyrically and flow-wise? How about eligh frm the living legends? Rhyme content and flow-wise? Curious to hear your thoughts. If u want to take it a little further back, how does he stack up against aceyalone (not my fave, but I know a lot of dudes who would say ace got it here...) what about gift of gab? Some people would go with del. I can keep going back older school west coast or newer school.. this is just cali. And kool keiths name still hasn't even came up yet. Then we haven't even hit on the andre 3000s and ceelo greens yet... or black thought , or nas, or a young kool g rap, or guru, or even made it up north yet or to the midwest.

Id be willing to go top 10 mc from the east coast and up north region from 2000-2004. Then we'd have to have a top 10 mc from the west coast and down south region during that same timeframe. But top 10 all time mc ever? I can't see it. And this is with all due respect to j-live. He's def slept on, but he had a great run there when the internet was 1st popping off right around 2000 -2001. I'm glad he's still recording. I used to listen to his first two albums a lot during that 2000-2004 timeframe.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 06:36 PM

4. "..."
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Jan-18-13 06:46 PM by spidey

Unlike those cats you listed, Live is still doing it at a very high level...them cats you listed just are not built like that, nondescript...yeah, they got some nice ish here and there, but not on some stand out type ish. Live is just better imo...here is my approximate top 10, no real order...

1. Monch
2. Black Thought
3. Nas
4. Doom
5. Rakim
6. KRS-one
7. J-Live
8. Big Daddy Kane
9. Jay-Z
10. G-Rap

I take into account longevity, consistent quality over time (yes, weak/wack ish brings you down), beat choice, voice, wordplay, creativitiy on the mic, and just overall slickness. I would be happy to go track for track (youtube) with any of those brothers you listed, and let the boards judge...Live be spittin that perfect combination of grown folks ish, with that true school mentality...

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 07:01 PM

5. "Damn your east coast bias is strong"
In response to Reply # 4

Do you admit to it? I mean people like what they like so I guess that's your style.

J live is boring as fuck tho man. Outside of his first it's been dud after dud.

judono
4417 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 07:54 PM

6. "thats dedicated to all these fellas who come w/ that east coast bias"
In response to Reply # 5

Every time. I have no bias's. I'm a fan of this shit. So had to bring a little perspective to the table. I can keep going from all the regions from old school and newer but I made my point aready. I will say this tho, and its a fact: East coast mfkrs don't evr give it up to the rawest mcs, and a lot of them from the west coast underground. Gift of gab is the west coast equivelent to what black thought is to the east (tho not quite as prolific).

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 11:27 PM

9. "stop jumping to conclusions..."
In response to Reply # 6

Gab is nice, but no real personality comes through his music...technically duke is nice, but just not that engaging....

For the record, best 3 MC's from the West IMO are Ras, Blu, and The D.O.C., IMO of course.....

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 11:23 PM

8. "RE: Damn your east coast bias is strong"
In response to Reply # 5

Dud after dud...really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGCEF-0YlFs --notice the maturity, the soul involved...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH_EWmO8xII --more grown ish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsENXW4ov48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1xv1cOzsM --where do you even begin to approach what J did with this track....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmB36p2lWIg --social commentary, over a dope beat, slick wordplay, message...damn, this is Hip Hop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_Au8hHD1A --move that ass type ish, diversity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqgWDoLl1c --such heat, undeniable...

....Peace!

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 06:48 PM

15. "RE: Damn your east coast bias is strong"
In response to Reply # 5

mas para ti...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIz0XOKqu0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oKj45oUcM

...notice none of the ish posted is from his jump off either...cat is too nice on the mic...come on son....

judono
4417 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 08:35 PM

7. "RE: ..."
In response to Reply # 4

Your list is tight. East coast as hell, but respectable. I'm. A fan of and respect j live as an artist. 100% og,true school, and he's mastered all forms of the craft. So with respect and props given... but j live ain't top 10 on that list brotha. He might be top 10 from the east coast region during a 5 year stretch. Lol.

I put insight out of boston over j live on the list as a mc and def as a producer.
Busdriver from LA, tho not 100% my cup of tea, will run circles around rappers. He will eat jlive up right now. Its like bringing anfernee hardway back in the nba and making him guard lebron for a whole game. Penny and Shaq was the shit for a few yars together back when they was young&playing for the magic. They had them 3 good years. But lebron would run circles around penny right now. That's what busdriver will do to j live.

Aesop rock is the most dense , abstract mc and lyricist of the past 10 years. I don't fuck with aeasop rocks music too too tuff either, but I own a couple albums, and I like some tracks... and his lyrics and flows are a whole nother dimension bro. Not for everybody, but u got to respect skills. Jlive ain't coming like aesop with the rhymes..

Eligh is another criminally slept on mc / producer who is holding down both skills with equal competence. Eligh from the living legends. LA. For anybody who has been an andre 3000 fan ever, to not know about or be showing love to eligh is crazy. Plus his shit is way more brand new &technically skillful to pull off as a rhymer then how j live is spitting. This holds true for everyone I've named so far.

See, I was always a bigger murs fan early in his career (up thru the murs rules the world album) but as an mc, I already know u ain't fucking with Scarub from the living legends out of LA, but as a rhymers with some lyrics? I'm putting scarub vs j-live right now. Scarub is a hella unconventional mention, already know, but if u haven't heard at least 2 of his older albums all the way thru, we can't really even debate on this can we?

Andre 3000 is #1 on my list (he ain't even make your list?) Lol

Cee lo green is probably one of the top 3 mc's of the past 15 years if u really stop and take a second the think about it. Just on lyrics and flow and style and originality and artistry. Plus he's singing his ass off too. Oh yeah, that's why he ain't on any lists tho. He quit rapping. If he didn't quit.

Already know black thought is quite possibly a top 3 mc of all time. Deserves to be.

We haven't gotten to Common yet. U really got j live over common?

Aceyalone is a little older school, but at one time he was the elite mc out the west coast. He ushered in the whole project blowed shit. There wouldt prob be a living legends or a myka nyne, or a busdriver if it wasn't for ace. And I never cared for too much of aceyalones music on a reg basis. But book of human language and all balls don't bounce? Put them 2 against whatever 2 j live records. On the rhymes? U might end of taking j live off your list and putting aceyalone in at that #7 spot instead..

I can write a whole novel about this shit. There's so many legendary mcs man. Like old school cats. A young LL cool J or j live? I mean u got to give it to LL.

I'm taking tupac any day all day as a rapper over j live. Personal preference. As an artist. I think a million of other mfkrs from my generation would too. Regardless of rebuttable. Its disrespectful to leave an artist of tupacs caliber and social impact off a top 10 rap list in terms of all time greats. Sheerly based off cultural impact over an entire generation across every ghetto & suburb in the united states. There isn't any way a list like this could have j live on it in pac's absence when we are talking about rap.

A young ice cube from his nwa and his first 3 solo albums. Or j live? Cmon bro. U ain't got a young cube on your shit? With bonafies certified classics? We can go song for song right now. Lol.

See, I was a guru fan, and I fucked with gang starrs albums pretty tuff when I was younger and just jammed daily operation again today for the first time in a couple years. I don't know if I could have a top 10 mc list without guru on there. If u ask j live his top 10 mcs that he listened to diligently coming up, I wouldn't be surprised if he had guru on his top 5-10 mc list.... I'm going with guru if we're having a legendary discussion... which we are

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 11:59 PM

10. "RE: ..."
In response to Reply # 7

WOW...where to even begin...guess I can address this, kids are asleep and I got some time....

oh, and this right here....good god...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS6ITIebMjs

But back on the conversation....point by point...

-We talking MC'n right? Live is simply better than Insight, but yes cat is skilled...

-Busdriver-not a fan of that style, an example of the type of MC that is not on beat, not in the track, just kind of does his thing on top of the track...and I know you are gonna throw hate at me for this, but that is a kind of how a lot of the west coast MC's do, just not a fan of it...much rather here a brother like Blu...

-Aesop Rock is a BEAST imo, duke is on the cusp of being an all time great...he is original, and for some reason his off kilter flow works for me...duke always has dope beats too, I'm a fan...that said, it's a style of MC'n that you have to be in the mood for...super talent imo...

-Eligh-cat is nice with his, kinda lacks soul imo....but again, I have enjoyed some of his ish...

Break for another J-Live banger...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EheSOZHjHb8 -slickness...

Murs-never been impressed with this cat, borderline wack....generic underground ish...boring...

Scarub-see Busdriver, just not that interesting...just ok,lack of soul....imo...lol...

Andre 3000 is a BEAST, but to make my top 10, you gotta show and prove you can hold down an entire LP ON THE SOLO....cat is still top 20 though, probably the best MC out of the South ever....that said, again, he has not held down a solo joint that shows he can do it outside a group dynamic...love that brother though....

Cee-Lo-Monster talent, great MC who has just decided to take his talent in another direction...could have been a contender in the MC game, but chose a different route...more power to him...

Common-cat use to be in my top 10, but remember what I said? Wack ish takes away from previous greatness, and duke been weak for 3 LPS now...a shell of his former self....still top 20 cause of past greatness...

Acey is dope, but gotta admit, I have not heard enough of his ish to judge....dope voice...

LL Cool J-see Common explanation...

Tupac-the most over-rated MC ever, actually, he is not even an MC, lets say rapper...cheesy tough guy persona, that the media ran with and helped to create...tired...very average...

Biggie-included him cause you have to when pac is talked about right? LOL....simply does not have enough material to be considered a top ten MC....BEAST though...slickness personified...

Cube- see Common explanation...cat ain't had no quality ish in almost 20 years...tired, played out, and corny...

GURU-top 20 somewhere....may have been top ten at some point, but his weak ish released with Solar brought him down...so slick with his during his peak...

...damn, can I sleep...got soccer practice for the kids tomorrow....lol....

judono
4417 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 12:39 AM

11. "haha. you had a strong list tho. had to give u a hard time"
In response to Reply # 10

got to include some of the west coast og talents when u make ur top 15. hope ur son scores a hat trick tomorrow.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 11:30 PM

16. "I've got to weigh in"
In response to Reply # 11

I understand d and would not argue with anyone about J Live not being a top 10 greatest MC.

However, J Live is in my top 10 favorite MCs. Dude is just one of those MCs that *is* hip-hop.

Like my man said, he has everything. Flow, content, personality, intelligence, sense of humor, voice, delivery, songwriting plus he producing and DJs.

As for some of the cats you mentioned, I also agree with Spidey that many of them are nice lyrically but lack in many other areas like not being able to rap on beat or not being engaging.

Those are HUGE factors. If you can rhyme on beat then I can't even listen to you. To might as well do spoken word.

I personally like my MCs to attack whatever beat it is their on. And that doesn't mean they have to come agressive, that jut means they are bent on being in the pocket and destroying the joint rhythmically on top of lyrically.

If it sounds like you wrote all your rhymes as acapellas and then tried to fit them over instrumentals...I can't rock with you.

J Live is in my top 10 MCs that inspire me. That when I listen to, I strive to be as nice as when I write and record. MCs that when they "go-in" at times amaze me.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 05:04 PM

17. "RE: I've got to weigh in"
In response to Reply # 16

That's peace right there...long live Hip Hop!

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 10:14 PM

18. "for real man"
In response to Reply # 17

SPTA is dope as fuck.

J Live is just one of those dudes that *is* hip-hop like Black Thought.

Shit, that would be a dope collabo right there.

?uest needs to work that one out.

I've been saying Black Thought and AZ collabo for years…throw J Live on that joint.

Get a ill ass beat like Clones, lock the doors and tell them dudes to go-in.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 03:37 PM

2. "Dl'd right now,...good looks on the assist."
In response to Reply # 0

Sun is nice.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 01:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "unofficial Hot vs. Dope A&R checking in"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been building with the brother on the concept for a while now. I really like how it's taking shape.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 10:17 AM

13. "One of the best"
In response to Reply # 0

Wish he had more albums.
But I do love the mixtapes.
Perfect writing music.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 06:19 PM

14. "Ima few joints in,.....dis shit is HEAT!"
In response to Reply # 0

^

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2770962 Previous topic | Next topic