Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2768510

Subject: "Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions..." Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 04:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions..."

Ok I am bot familiar with classical music like that, but I had a few questions about it.

1. Who are some of the top classical musicians out today? What are some of the top symphony orchestras in your opinion?

2. Who is the most progressive classical musician out today? Who is the most traditional? Overrated? Underrated? Same questions for symphony orchestras.

Thanks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions...
Jan 09th 2013
RE: Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions...
Jan 22nd 2013
^
Jan 22nd 2013

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 07:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

>Ok I am bot familiar with classical music like that, but I
>had a few questions about it.
>
>1. Who are some of the top classical musicians out today? What
>are some of the top symphony orchestras in your opinion?

As far as musicians go, too broad to say. What instruments are you interested? What kind of classical do you have in mind (time period? subgenre?)? I'm not trying to nitpick, it's just too broad to give an answer without more info.

As far as orchestras, top in the states include:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
New York Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic
San Francisco Symphony

>2. Who is the most progressive classical musician out today?
>Who is the most traditional? Overrated? Underrated? Same
>questions for symphony orchestras.

I guess I don't really think about musicians like that. Progressive vs traditional seem like better descriptions for composers than musicians. Ditto for orchestras.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

normal35762
13246 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 02:40 AM

2. "RE: Classical music and symphony orchestra heads. A few questions..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks big funk for responding.

"As far as musicians go, too broad to say. What instruments are you interested? What kind of classical do you have in mind (time period? subgenre?)? I'm not trying to nitpick, it's just too broad to give an answer without more info."

I guess the piano is a good start.

"I guess I don't really think about musicians like that. Progressive vs traditional seem like better descriptions for composers than musicians. Ditto for orchestras."

Ok composers will work. What I mean what composers, orchestras, or classical musicians would incorporate some country, jazz, r&b or hip hop or something that isn't "classical" in their music and who takes it back old school?

normal35762
13246 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 09:09 PM

3. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2768510 Previous topic | Next topic