Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2768287

Subject: "Beyonce's first decade as a solo artist" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Beyonce's first decade as a solo artist"

as she prepares to perform at the super bowl in less than a month

4 solo albums

hit songs

sold out tours

movies,

fashion

awards,etc...

how has the first decade of her solo career gone for you and what can she do better or is this as good as its ever going to get?

is this her prime and peak?

Poll result (32 votes)
hall of fame bound (16 votes)Vote
hit and miss (3 votes)Vote
should have stayed with destiny's child (2 votes)Vote
a jack of all trades and a master of nothing (11 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hall of fame bound, but I'm not hella impressed with her music
Jan 08th 2013
RE: Hall of fame bound, but I'm not hella impressed with her music
Jan 08th 2013
      Thing is, aside from Sweet dreams, her Top 40 attempts don't really
Jan 08th 2013
           Sweet Dreams is easily the only Beyonce song I love
Jan 08th 2013
                Makes sense. And yeah...I mean she has decent B, C level songs
Jan 08th 2013
                     at 10 yrs after her 1st solo hit, is she as big as Janet?
Jan 08th 2013
                          Hmm, I feel like in comparison to other artists, Beyonce might be close
Jan 09th 2013
RE: Beyonce's first decade as a solo artist
Jan 08th 2013
well, she is a robot
Jan 09th 2013
this.
Jan 09th 2013
blame Sasha Fierce
Jan 09th 2013
Its that and the wall she puts up around her personal affairs.
Jan 09th 2013
Soul?
Jan 09th 2013
It's been deeply disappointing because it's been one long compromise
Jan 09th 2013
i don't.
Jan 09th 2013
You're probably right. nm
Jan 09th 2013
youre giving her too much credit
Jan 09th 2013
LOL yeah... I guess.
Jan 09th 2013
so was that dance plagiarism issue a multi-faceted one?
Jan 09th 2013
      illuminati
Jan 09th 2013
      It's Beyonce being Beyonce
Jan 09th 2013
           this one in particular struck me as the source was 'high art'
Jan 09th 2013
                Ha... I doubt it somehow.
Jan 09th 2013
This is gonna sound like im trolling, but
Jan 09th 2013
It doesn't sound like you're trolling
Jan 09th 2013
      lol I've never been much of an RnB fan so you may be right
Jan 09th 2013
hall of fame bound
Jan 09th 2013
Easily hall of fame bound.
Jan 09th 2013
cross-post with a red flag
Jan 09th 2013
People think they have to "like" the aritst for them to be a hall of fam...
Jan 09th 2013
Agreed. She's legend.
Jan 09th 2013
Hall of Fame bound fuck if YOU "Like" her or not
Jan 09th 2013
destiny's child hits>>>beyonce solo hits
Jan 09th 2013
how is it overrated?
Jan 09th 2013
i disagree w/all of that. lol
Jan 09th 2013
beyonce has made some of the best songs
Jan 09th 2013
i'm glad no one's been called a sexist yet lol..
Jan 09th 2013
I agree here.
Jan 09th 2013
hall of fame first ballot
Jan 09th 2013

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Hall of fame bound, but I'm not hella impressed with her music"
In response to Reply # 0

I do feel that "Party" and "Love on top" are two of her best singles, maybe Top 3-5 singles, and she should stay in that lane. I HATE shit like "Video phone" and musically, "Single ladies" was ass cheek.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Hall of fame bound, but I'm not hella impressed with her music"
In response to Reply # 1

>I do feel that "Party" and "Love on top" are two of her best
>singles, maybe Top 3-5 singles, and she should stay in that
>lane.

these were the type of joints she made for the hip-hop/groove crowd

>I HATE shit like "Video phone" and musically, "Single
>ladies" was ass cheek.

this is the pop/superstar lane she's mostly in. just comes with the territory at this point.

she's musically not for me, but when she makes some shit I like I really dig it

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Thing is, aside from Sweet dreams, her Top 40 attempts don't really"
In response to Reply # 2

go hard. "Video phone" is really more Trendy-Black than Top 40, and it came and went. Women do love "Single ladies" because of the lyrics, but that, "Who run the world GIRLS" n many of her other singles don't make major impact for her to be the type of artist she is. For the Black-Black crowds, Mary J and even Aaliyah had more and bigger hits. For the Pop side, Mariah, Whitney, and other Black singers had more success, while Whitee singers in that Pop lane have had much, much much much bigger hits.

So I just feel like she doesn't have as many mega hits or great songs as a lot of artists before her, even those who weren't as big as she is. All her hits are like B level, rarely ever A level. And this is just speaking at a "hits" level, not even about what I like.

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 09:10 PM

4. "Sweet Dreams is easily the only Beyonce song I love"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Jan-08-13 09:17 PM by amplifya7

I probably like a few other songs, but thats the only one I would ever really want to listen to on my own

edit: I retract that statement, I really like "If I Were A Boy" as well

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 09:44 PM

6. "Makes sense. And yeah...I mean she has decent B, C level songs"
In response to Reply # 4

as OKP's like to rate them, but for her to be like THE artist of the last ten years? Eh. Janet in the 80's had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more bangers.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 10:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "at 10 yrs after her 1st solo hit, is she as big as Janet?"
In response to Reply # 6

Janet's 1st solo hit came in 1986 w/Control. 10 yrs later she was working on Velvet Rope. that was her 4th solo hit album.

so, Control - Velvet Rope Janet vs. Dangerously In Love - 4 Beyonce.

who wins?

fuck you.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 05:12 AM

10. "Hmm, I feel like in comparison to other artists, Beyonce might be close"
In response to Reply # 7

Because Janet had way more competition in that lane, but I'd argue than Janet was bigger for her ten year stretch. After Velvet Rope was an obvious decline, or at least she just decided to take time off. But I feel like 86-93 Janet alone was just on fire fire...every time music changed, she was ahead of the curve. Her early music almost sounded like NJS before NJS was big, then by 93, she had tracks like "That's the way love goes" that was like early upbeat Neo Soul.

Yeaa I'm rolling with Janet. Beyonce has more talent, and I might give more credit to the team behind Janet and even the era of music which was much better, but yeah.

cloak323
Member since Sep 14th 2007
371 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 09:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Beyonce's first decade as a solo artist"
In response to Reply # 0

To kind of sidetrack- I've been having a thought that I think has been talked about on here before. She can sing but her voice is missing something-- a lack of a certain feeling(emote?) You don't quite feel her when you're listening.
Though Janet isn't a great singer I hear and feel her in a lot of her songs. Aaliyah had "it" and I think Rihanna does too- even after the voice enhancements I still feel her emotion underneath...Keyshia Cole and on and on. Y'all know what I'm talking about?

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 12:43 AM

8. "well, she is a robot"
In response to Reply # 5

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 06:47 AM

12. "this."
In response to Reply # 8

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 03:17 AM

9. "blame Sasha Fierce"
In response to Reply # 5

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 02:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "Its that and the wall she puts up around her personal affairs."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jan-09-13 02:38 PM by Teknontheou

All those singers you mentioned had a lot of their stuff either on Front St., or had struggles we could all see and empathize with.

Matthew went out of his way to block as much of that as possible from view.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 03:06 PM

30. "Soul?"
In response to Reply # 5

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 06:12 AM

11. "It's been deeply disappointing because it's been one long compromise"
In response to Reply # 0

and she knows it.

Y'all remember the VIBE interview before Dangerously in Love dropped?

Remember how she was rocking natural hair and talking about her ambition to show herself to be a real soul singer? To make make "deep" music?

Then the first single ("Work It Out") flopped and her team panicked, redid the whole album, filling it with the mindless club anthems that have remained her stock in trade ever since?

She sold herself short, and she knows it.

I'd like to think that she can't be fulfilled. At least not artistically.

I agree with R-Tistic, though: "Party" and "Love on Top" come the closest to suggesting where she could have gone.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 06:56 AM

13. "i don't."
In response to Reply # 11

i think we're getting 'her'. i don't think there's an artiste w/in being smothered by the starmaker machinery that churns out her hits. she's given me no reason to suspect that's so. not even the 'Work It Out' campaign you mentioned, since that song sounds so much like and was created in the same ways as several of her hits. i might feel differently if she'd done something different w/that other than fix her hair (or wig) a certain way. (note: i now have 'I'm Somebody' from Dreamgirls in my head. lol)

fuck you.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 07:57 AM

15. "You're probably right. nm"
In response to Reply # 13

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:41 AM

21. "youre giving her too much credit"
Wed Jan-09-13 10:45 AM by GumDrops

that was just her PR announcement to the world to show that she had serious taste and interests outside a mere teen girl group, that she wasnt just some R&B robot who only cared about hits and dance routines, that she was her own woman. i doubt she ever cut any material that reflected those apparent new interests of hers, that was less pop/commercial R&B. imo shes not an 'artistically minded' artist, and is never going to be. shes more motivated by the goal of making succesful music (hits in other words).

edit - im sure in 20 years therell be some 'dangerously in love 25' tv documentary by whoever the new spike lee is, revealing her deep interest in musical and dance history, forcing me to rethink this notion, lol. either way, i still dont think the music stands up. even if she as a pop figure is a huge source of inspiration to millions of women. but i think thats more about her demeanour and character rather than the music.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:46 AM

23. "LOL yeah... I guess."
In response to Reply # 21

I originally wanted to clear up in response to SoWhat's post that it's not so much that I believed that she had what it takes to be a "deep" "artiste" but just the recognition that she even had the ambition to be one compared to what she ended up doing must have been disappointing to her.

But like you said, we don't even know how real the ambition itself was. She was *allegedly* involved with Mos Def at the time so she was probably feeling kinda "alt" for a while, but that fancy faded quite quickly and she hasn't exhibited much desire to rekindle it since then. So yeah... could have been a phase.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 03:22 PM

31. "so was that dance plagiarism issue a multi-faceted one?"

the one where she used moves from some famous high-art choreographer I'd never heard of.

By multi-faceted: was that a true homage, an Easter egg, an attempt to prove her depth to people who caught it? Was it the fault/doing dep. on perspective of the choreographer for her video? Was it meta-textual in some other way that hasn't occurred to me yet?

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 03:24 PM

32. "illuminati"
In response to Reply # 31

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 04:00 PM

33. "It's Beyonce being Beyonce"
In response to Reply # 31

When you talked about "Dance plagiarism," I actually had to stop to think "which one" because she actually has a few of them... Like there was one where she saw some dance group from Mozambique on YouTube and tried to copy their moves for the "Run the World (Girls)" video, but couldn't master the dance so she flew them in to teach her.

But I guess that's not too different from what Madonna, Michael Jackson and others have done.... they find stuff happening on the underground and bring it up aboveground. It's just that in this era where everything is accessible, it's easier to find the source materials.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 04:07 PM

34. "this one in particular struck me as the source was 'high art'"
In response to Reply # 33

the 'dance' world, not popular dance.

That tied in with your comments about her aspirations to be more and falling short due to commercial concerns. Throwing some high art to the masses without them knowing could be a subliminal way of fulfilling the artistic aspirations.

That's all. You know I don't really follow this stuff. Or care. But it struck me as an interesting angle on the conversation, and there's shit else to talk about on this board lately!

*shrug*

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 04:28 PM

35. "Ha... I doubt it somehow."
In response to Reply # 34

I think she just saw some stuff that looked cool and adapted it, no different from what they did with the "Single Ladies" choreography: http://youtu.be/hyv_7CdGCP4

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 07:12 AM

14. "This is gonna sound like im trolling, but"
In response to Reply # 0

for all the posts saying they don't connect or feel anything with beyonce, i don't understand how anyone feels that way about any RnB. In fact i almost make the distinction between whats "RnB" and whats "Soul" with the definition that soul makes you feel something whilst RnB is throwaway dance music.

Therefore its crazy to hear/read people aying beyonce should do this or that when she is the queen of RnB and everything that folk hate about her is whats made her the Queen of RnB.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 08:10 AM

16. "It doesn't sound like you're trolling"
In response to Reply # 14

it sounds like you're posting from the year 1999.

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 12:20 PM

26. "lol I've never been much of an RnB fan so you may be right"
In response to Reply # 16

matter of fact thats probably the last time i liked RnB

JohnnyKilroy
Member since May 02nd 2012
930 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 09:20 AM

17. "hall of fame bound"
In response to Reply # 0

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 09:30 AM

18. "Easily hall of fame bound."
In response to Reply # 0

She's a superstar in the very text book definition of the word.

And whether you like them or not, she has classic records by any way you choose to define classic.

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:35 AM

20. "cross-post with a red flag"
In response to Reply # 18

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=11291547#11300733

with the caveat that i did hear a beyonce song this morning, but it was just her on the remix to timberlake's song.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 11:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "People think they have to "like" the aritst for them to be a hall of fam..."

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 02:17 PM

28. "Agreed. She's legend."

fuck you.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:22 AM

19. "Hall of Fame bound fuck if YOU "Like" her or not"
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:46 AM

22. "destiny's child hits>>>beyonce solo hits"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-09-13 10:49 AM by GumDrops

also, crazy in love is one of the most overrated 'anthems' or 'classics' of the past 15 years.

JohnnyKilroy
Member since May 02nd 2012
930 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 01:58 PM

27. "how is it overrated?"
In response to Reply # 22

>also, crazy in love is one of the most overrated 'anthems' or
>'classics' of the past 15 years.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 09:38 PM

38. "i disagree w/all of that. lol"
In response to Reply # 22

fuck you.

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 12:20 PM

25. "beyonce has made some of the best songs"
In response to Reply # 0

i still prefer dangerously in love ova the other ish ive heard tho

i got on red lipstick

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 04:44 PM

36. "i'm glad no one's been called a sexist yet lol.."
In response to Reply # 0

..im kinda over hearing that argument thrown about on OKP whenever sumone is critical of The Yonce's career.

i voted 'hit & miss'.

as for what Afkap said about "Work It Out", it may have less to do with her genuinely wanting to make some "real" music and more to do with the Neps/Pharrell/whoever produced that track not making it FUNKY enough. i thought the concept of the song was good but the execution was so limp-dicked and half-assed, no way that was guna be a hit, or even a highlight.

anyways, with better solo material? with a truly emotive voice and persona? without that illuminati automaton dead look in her eyes? then MAYBE hall of fame/legend status. and just so its not ALL negative, i never had anything against her voice, i just think it was never utilised to its fullest potential and has been wasted on mostly pop garbage. i've ALWAYS luvd hearing her sing...when it's been over a Timbaland beat. or if Missy's involved. or Static. basically these two cuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l56N_-65Rus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAJneQ-Qqs.

i think those cats, chiefly their songwriting, production and vocal arrangements, brings out the best in her. and i can actually sing along and FEEL her, in some sense. most of the time tho, i get no reaction to her stuff which is the main reason i never considered myself a fan. some might think its weird that i go apeshit over Aaliyah but not Beyonce cos they think they're comparable, and they probly are to a point, but most folks just KNOW, someone like Aaliyah had "it", right? even before she died and became a proper icon. Yonce has everything to make it, and more, but loses out every single time for lack of an "it", or a solid identity. i simply cannot connect with her persona.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 07:21 PM

37. "I agree here."
In response to Reply # 36

>as for what Afkap said about "Work It Out", it may have less
>to do with her genuinely wanting to make some "real" music and
>more to do with the Neps/Pharrell/whoever produced that track
>not making it FUNKY enough. i thought the concept of the song
>was good but the execution was so limp-dicked and half-assed,
>no way that was guna be a hit, or even a highlight.

I thought "Work It Out" was a disgrace too... and I was surprised that they were surprised that it wasn't a hit. Plus, it was a damn soundtrack cut... they jumped the gun freaking out the way they did over it. Or, as I suggested earlier, perhaps Mos was out of her life by that point and with him went her interest in being a soul singer.

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Wed Jan-09-13 10:46 PM

39. "hall of fame first ballot"
In response to Reply # 0

A star in every imaginable way. Even the things she fails at (acting, occasionally fashion) she fails at spectacularly in a star-like fashion. That bitch is *bad*.

Can I also note how terrible of a song "Love on Top" is, and it's odd that people think it's one of her best songs? To me, she proves her star power by making a b-side Motown reject sound palatable, if another known singer was singing it would be an instant throwaway. She's just got *it*.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Lobby The Lesson topic #2768287 Previous topic | Next topic