Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2767831

Subject: "Are there any "The Doors" fans in here?" Previous topic | Next topic
Kirk Baker
Member since Oct 26th 2012
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are there any "The Doors" fans in here?"

Hey guys.. So.. I love The Doors, however, I find that they are somewhat inaccessible for our times. It seems like electronic music and hip hop is sweeping the world. Keeping that in mind, I wanted to challenge myself and create a piece of music which blends the flower generation with electronica.. so, I created a Nu Disco cover of The Doors Light My Fire and I was wondering if you guys could offer a little feedback. My question is: Does it work? This is part of a bigger project I have been killing myself for so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.. and if nothing else, you may trip a little to hear The Doors presented in this way..

https://soundcloud.com/bartek_k/bartek-k-the-doors-light-my

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ive just recently been digging deeper into the doors
Jan 07th 2013
cool thank you
Jan 07th 2013
I used to be, around the time of the Oliver Stone movie
Jan 07th 2013
I'm a huge fan..
Jan 07th 2013
Philosophy?
Jan 07th 2013
      RE: Philosophy?
Jan 07th 2013
           I think you are 100% right.
Jan 07th 2013
                RE: I think you are 100% right.
Jan 07th 2013
                LOL
Jan 07th 2013
                Well, I wouldn't call im a troll..
Jan 07th 2013
for better or worse Morrison made that band,their post-Jim work shows it
Jan 07th 2013
RE: Are there any "The Doors" fans in here?
Jan 07th 2013
this is the first i heard of people making fun of his poetry
Jan 07th 2013
I like their second record
Jan 07th 2013
there cool in doses
Jan 07th 2013
ha! not sure if u intended to be ironic with ur response
Jan 07th 2013
i copped n listened to their entire discog in 2009...
Jan 07th 2013
agreed, my experience is pretty identical to yours
Jan 07th 2013
      shoot, my teens was when I loved them, it was as I got older
Jan 07th 2013
      i got into metallica right after, then nirvana, then ratm..
Jan 07th 2013
      They were very popular amongst teens in the early 90's...
Jan 08th 2013
           LOL
Jan 08th 2013
           That sounds pretty accurate to me
Jan 08th 2013
i came in here ready to hate your remix.
Jan 08th 2013
thanks so much
Jan 08th 2013
first thing i think of w/ this remix is "so the doors would've been toda...
Jan 08th 2013
hahaha thanks..
Jan 08th 2013
Title of the post made me think of this
Jan 08th 2013

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5468 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ive just recently been digging deeper into the doors"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-07-13 01:12 PM by fontgangsta

always liked them on the surface, but just got most of their discog in my collection a couple weeks ago
as for this, i dont know, i think its pretty cool
im not into this particular branch of electro personally - id rather hear the doors mixed into something a little heavier (either DnB or rap style beats)
BUT, thats just my personal taste - i can't say that this mix doesn't "work" - i think it does.

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:19 PM

3. "cool thank you"
In response to Reply # 1

>always liked them on the surface, but just got most of their
>discog in my collection a couple weeks ago
>as for this, i dont know, i think its pretty cool

appreciate it, thank you for your time..

>im not into this particular branch of electro personally - id
>rather hear the doors mixed into something a little heavier
>(either DnB or rap style beats)

interesting.. i was struggling to hold back on this because i wanted the "flowers" to come through.. i'm trying to hold on to that era.. but i could definitely hear The Doors on something harder as well.

>BUT, thats just my personal taste - i can't say that this mix
>doesn't "work" - i think it does.

thank you. i think i might try another one for The Doors and try something different..

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I used to be, around the time of the Oliver Stone movie"
In response to Reply # 0

then I realized that they were kind of a terrible band.

Not so much that they were terrible as musicians, because they weren't. But Jim Morrison was just fucking insufferable.

And a lot of their music was kinda boring.

I should get around to listening to the two albums they made after Morrison's death... I wouldn't be surprised if they're an improvement.

I still really love "Touch Me" a lot for some reason, though.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:22 PM

4. "I'm a huge fan.."
In response to Reply # 2

the whole philosophy they brought appeals to me.. the vibes, all of it.. kind of a band i was crazy in love with in high school so it always has a soft spot for me.. personally all their classic material is my fave.. esp during Jim's most insufferable stage... I would love nothing more than for kids of today's generation to get them and enjoy their sounds/lyrics.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Philosophy?"
In response to Reply # 4

Morrison's muddled "philosophy" and cod "poetry" is probably the worst thing about the band imho

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:33 PM

6. "RE: Philosophy?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think you're searching for too much cohesion in work that was most likely created on the fly or in the grips of powerful psychedelic drugs.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:39 PM

7. "I think you are 100% right."
In response to Reply # 6

>I think you're searching for too much cohesion in work that
>was most likely created on the fly or in the grips of powerful
>psychedelic drugs.

One of the biggest problems with the Doors is the sense of profundity that has been thrust upon the band in the years since their dissolution. If you look at them in their proper context and realize that Jim Morrison was not necessarily the Voice of a Generation so much as he was a drunken troll, you can accept them for what they are.

I agree. I've lately been studying the late 60s LA scene and it's given me a better understanding and appreciation of the Doors (which does not equate to actually liking them). Just getting a sense of the world they lived in, which bands they were inspired by, which bands they were reacting against, etc.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:44 PM

8. "RE: I think you are 100% right."
In response to Reply # 7

seeing "classic albums: 'the doors'" gave me renewed appreciation for them for similar reasons (context)

also, their albums are $5 now so i'm adding to my collection (yeah, i know they're also $0.00), but i never didn't like them

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:47 PM

9. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 8

>(yeah, i know they're also $0.00),

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:51 PM

10. "Well, I wouldn't call im a troll.."
In response to Reply # 7

I wouldn't attribute him with the title of "the voice of a generation" either. He played his part in the flower power movement and did it well. He was an erratic figure who preached the power of love/drugs so naturally, he was going to stumble and fall over a few times. I take them with a light heart and I enjoy the psychedelic nature to their sound.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 01:51 PM

11. "for better or worse Morrison made that band,their post-Jim work shows it"
In response to Reply # 2

and not in a good way.

Ray Manzerak is actually completely insufferable in his own way.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 02:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: Are there any "The Doors" fans in here?"
In response to Reply # 0

I fucks with them...I realize that some folks think they are overrated and got jokes about Morrison's poetry steez...

But I just dig their songs...They made cool music and didn't give a fuck...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:40 PM

16. "this is the first i heard of people making fun of his poetry"
In response to Reply # 12

i had no idea he was judged so harshly for his contributions haha

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 02:44 PM

13. "I like their second record"
In response to Reply # 0

for some reason i dont like thier first

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 02:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "there cool in doses "
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:42 PM

17. "ha! not sure if u intended to be ironic with ur response"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Jan-07-13 07:43 PM by Kirk Baker

doses eh? : P

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:34 PM

15. "i copped n listened to their entire discog in 2009..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and i luvd every minute of it.
i mean i can agree that the whole steez can have holes poked in it, and Jim's poetry and eminence were overinterpreted to mean more than they did, but that kinda viewpoint pokes holes in the complete and total facade that is artists and artistry, and TOTALLY takes the fun out of it lol. it's all context in the end anyways. Jim & The Doors had their part to play in their time and space and did it well. and just from an aural standpoint, i really dig/dug the sounds they produced. and Jim's voice.

that said, i find deeper intangible connections to art born out of heavy drug use, spesh psychadelic. in some corners of the world, thats how u get to see behind the veil, so to speak. so i cant ever bash it, whatever the resulting work post-drug-binge or whilst in the middle of it.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:45 PM

18. "agreed, my experience is pretty identical to yours"
In response to Reply # 15

however, it was the movie that first gave me some awareness of the band.. i went out and bought their music on the strength of it lol.. no one was listening to them in my teens though..

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:47 PM

19. "shoot, my teens was when I loved them, it was as I got older"
In response to Reply # 18

that I started to outgrow them but they have their moments.

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Mon Jan-07-13 07:58 PM

20. "i got into metallica right after, then nirvana, then ratm.."
In response to Reply # 19

eventually i came back to the classic rock era and pent a few years there.. led zep and pink floyd were my gods for a looong time..

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 03:48 AM

21. "They were very popular amongst teens in the early 90's..."
In response to Reply # 18

There was a lot of hype and documentaries and stuff when the Oliver Stone movie came out. Even MTV did a lot of stuff on the Doors and showed their "videos" more often than they did other old music in that era. Morrison became a sex symbol again and the "artistic" and bohemic types loved the Doors

I cannot help but feel that the massive backlash their status has experienced since then in critic- and cool "music-nerd-circles is partially because of the massive hype at the time.

Personally, I don't like them at all but I can recognize that they were very "important" and blah-blah (=introducing a sense of the dramatic, theatrical and dynamic to rock to an unpreceded degree not to mention Morrison's love of Brecht and other yurrupean stuff like that which preceded Bowie and others) but the thing that makes them stand out is also what makes them unbearable; that makes them a bit unique for me because often it is the outstanding feature(s) that is a bands "ingredient X"; the thing that make them stand out and be doper than the more plain competition, for the Doors, it's the opposite...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:11 AM

23. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 21

> that makes them a bit unique for me
>because often it is the outstanding feature(s) that is a bands
>"ingredient X"; the thing that make them stand out and be
>doper than the more plain competition, for the Doors, it's the
>opposite...

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 10:43 AM

25. "That sounds pretty accurate to me"
In response to Reply # 21

they definitely walked a fine line but i was happy for their presence in music

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 05:48 AM

22. "i came in here ready to hate your remix."
In response to Reply # 0

alas, i cannot.

nice job, dude. i thought this was gonna be corny as all get out.

it's not. i like it.

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 10:52 AM

26. "thanks so much"
In response to Reply # 22

>alas, i cannot.
>
>nice job, dude. i thought this was gonna be corny as all get
>out.
>
>it's not. i like it.

im working my ass off, appreciate your time

DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 08:23 AM

24. "first thing i think of w/ this remix is "so the doors would've been toda..."
In response to Reply # 0

LCD Soundsystem" hahaha.... very cool remix dude

Kirk Baker
2216 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 10:53 AM

27. "hahaha thanks.."
In response to Reply # 24

appreciate your time!

_dan_kind_
Member since Apr 27th 2007
166 posts
Tue Jan-08-13 11:17 AM

28. "Title of the post made me think of this"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xillqqt0Y0

ya seen the wizard of oz?....I'll house you

Lobby The Lesson topic #2767831 Previous topic | Next topic