Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2765547

Subject: "imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World..." Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World..."

...Don't you know that yet?"

RIP to Austin Peralta

If you dig around the interwebs deep enough you'll find a post from the father of Austin's long time friend who says the death was drug related. I stopped searching after a while but that was the only reference to it. People want to remember what a gifted spirit he was, yet live in denial of what ultimately brought him down. I wish that more were taking to heart the way he died as a caution.

RIP to Capital Steeze

Didn't even really know about dude but if you dig around the interwebs for just a few seconds you'll realize how tragic this one is. Like for real, 19 year olds taking internet meme's to heart like that?

And these is young cats man. Young cats who've been given a musical environment which enabled their demise. (That's a heavy statement I may tone it down later)

The quote you should know already is for Sun Ra. He's an interesting figure in the midst of this culture, which sees him as some sort of psychadelic god who speaks through them on DMT trips. Don't they know he would have none of that?

Lots of heavy shit in 2012. The music reflected a sort of inner turmoil reflective of the conditions. You can tell the real from the fake because the fake tries to lie to you while the real tries to lie to itself.

Fiona Apple dropped the dopest album this year. Kendrick dropped the realest soap opera. That's no dis. It tops Undun on the surface. I'll have to take deeper listens to see who has the stronger underlying. Both of them are great. Can't rock either front to back for no sustained period of time.

King Britt dropped one of the dopest EP's this year on Hyperdub. I have a theory on why more people don't recognize that. Race is only an incidental factor.

mmpsuf writes songs the american neo-crunchie (my bad indie) singer songwriter who flirts with that electronic shit really really wants to write but... Seriously though good look to Ghetto Black on that.

Speaking of Ghetto Black noodle me this - the Actress and Hype Williams praise, could it be the approval of their deconstructionist approach to the 'black' aesthetic which strips out enough of said 'blackness' to make it 'safe' while keeping enough of said 'blackness' to starkly differentiate from its surroundings?

Do I really need to hear that Gary Clark Jr. full length?

JJDoom haters don't like lyrics. Oh I know some are hating on the beats but sorry they aren't bad enough to ruin the lyrics which are on beastmode through out. Not Jneiro's best for sure but they more than serve their purpose with bangers sprinkled throughout.

If Flying Lotus opened up his mixes more giving all the elements room to breathe I might be more forgiving. But what he sacrafice's to put that bass right in your face simply is not worth it. He has beautiful ideas but they come out like a really good singer trying to hold a tune with a mouthful of food.

Speaking of holding a tune with a mouthful of food Laurel Halo cannot sing. I tried and tried and tried to be forgiving as so many others are but I just can't. And the reason I can't is because she has talent on the production side of things. I feel like it's disgusting that the majority of the focus of the attention she's received has been about a critic's relationship to her vocals as if that's her first instrument.

Situation: I'm in a room with all white folk and someone plays a Frank Ocean song. Someone says ooohhh I like that. Another responds yeah it's Frank Ocean. He's like the alternative Barry White. I do not hide my laughter but other wise keep my mouth shut to here the rest of this conversation. Someone says you have to play American Wedding. This is actually the first time I'd actually *listened* to the song. I can't help but saying, that's not fair, he's never going to say "welcome to the hotel california" is he, careful to sing the line. Someone says no, but isn't that great. Why was the black guy defending Hotel California. I couldn't bring myself to reveal his outting earlier in the year lest i ruin the helathy man crushes I saw in a couple of their eyes.

Cartoons and Cereal >>>>>>>>>>

Cause all I see now is Wile E Coyote's in the room

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Interesting
Dec 27th 2012
jj Doom thing particularly
Dec 27th 2012
someone sent me this link and i thought of you
Dec 27th 2012
aw how sweet!
Dec 27th 2012
      The author's bio stood out
Dec 27th 2012
This is why Sun-Ra is so important
Dec 27th 2012
      explain this to me
Dec 27th 2012
           It's American (Western) History
Dec 28th 2012
                this line hard as fuck
Dec 28th 2012
                     This is what trips me out about Steeze
Dec 28th 2012
                          oh man
Dec 28th 2012
The Idea Of The World Ending Seemed To Kept People Happy
Dec 28th 2012
you do NOT need to listen to the gary clark jr album.
Dec 29th 2012
RE: imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World...
Dec 29th 2012
RE: imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World...
Jan 01st 2013
shutyobitchassup n/m
Jan 03rd 2013
      You Sound Hostile
Jan 03rd 2013
           It's a joke like his mentioning Miles n/m
Jan 03rd 2013

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Interesting"
In response to Reply # 0

I have yet to listen to JJDOOM and now I will check it out. I love Doom but never listen to his albums as soon as they drop because I fear I have too high expectations and don't want to be disappointed.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "jj Doom thing particularly"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-27-12 11:51 AM by Reuben

the only way you can make music that challenges this cultural hegemony
is through lyrics but no one seems to care about them now like you said, but why is is that?

the bit about white ppl falling in love with black music that deconstructs black music;

(swipe)

Mainstream white vernacular and corporate musics appropriate Afro-diasporic musical practices and critical/resistant practices. The strategies that Afro-American musicians developed to critique and subvert classically liberal hegemonies (musical, political, racial) get domesticated by neoliberal aesthetics.

a. For example, there is a tired, often overly simplistic contrast between Western “harmonic” music and Afro-diasporic “repetitive” or “rhythmic” music. Certainly the harmony/repetition contrast has some underlying truth to it (e.g., as a metaphor for general differences in metaphysical and ontological frameworks), but it often gets used in overly schematic and/or reductive ways. However, it is useful to think of neoliberalism as Euro-Western domestication of “repetition” (e.g., in biopolitical administration, statistics, etc.). So it’s not just that Afro-diasporic practices conveniently overlap with neoliberal/biopolitical strategies of organization; rather, one of the advantages of biopolitical neoliberalism is it is a means/medium by which Western hegemony can easily domesticate subversive/resistant Afro-diasporic practices. I think it’s actually really important to think of this as one of the contributing factors to the rise of neoliberalism/biopolitical administration (especially in music).

b. More concretely, looping, cutting, “into the red”—all these elements of hip hop aesthetics that Tricia Rose identifies in Black Noise, stuff you find in dub, techno, house, jungle, etc., get incorporated into neoliberal hegemony. They no longer sound unmusical, they’re ubiquituous features of top-40 radio. See: Brostep. (E.g., this was all stuff Terminator X was doing in the 90s, but then it was still somewhat non-mainstream—PE was not played on Top 40 radio the way Skrillex is. Similarly, this was all going on in Jungle and oher hardcore dance styles in the 90s, but they were absolutely not mainstream in the US, and were still not exactly TOTP material in the UK.)

c. There is also an increased accommodation of black artists in mainstream—use of blacks as “border population” (to use Falguni Sheth’s term) to further other racist-homonationalist projects. Think for example about the increasingly common presentation of African-American male hip hop stars as scions of the globalized neoliberal entrepreneurial class: Flo Rida skydives over the palm island in Dubai (in “Wild Ones”), Ne-Yo’s video for “Let’s Go” traces hetero masculinity in Rio, LA, and Tokyo, Taio Cruz and Flo Rida’s collaboration on “Hangover” is all about transnationalized black masculinities as distinct from Anglo-Asian ones…etc. Certainly black artists subvert these presentations (e.g., with the idea of “entrepreneurial drag”), but they get taken up by mainstream audiences as evidence that neoliberal globalization is not racist because if it were racist, so the argument goes, then black people wouldn’t be allowed to be successful jet-setters. Or, 21st c “xenomania” is presented as different from obviously racist “love & theft” 20th c appropriations of black culture.

http://its-her-factory.blogspot.de/2012/09/neoliberalism-and-contemporary-pop.html

its just easier for white ppl to like, instead of white ppl having to co-opt black music (through mainstream hegemonic culture), black artists are doing it themselves through 'deconstruction'

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 11:53 AM

3. "someone sent me this link and i thought of you"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.psmag.com/culture-society/lana-del-rey-hip-hop-grunge-rick-ross-authentic-music-50442/

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Reuben
1857 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 12:10 PM

4. "aw how sweet!"
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enbfmqmBBqI
(the only whitney song i like btw and it has to be the dub)

but what were you thinking?

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 12:14 PM

5. "The author's bio stood out"
In response to Reply # 4

"Jennifer C. Lena is a visiting professor of sociology at Barnard College. She is the author of Banding Together: How Communities Create Genres in Popular Music, and is currently working on Slumming:The Reproduction of Prestige, a study of wealthy fans of folk art."

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 12:31 PM

6. "This is why Sun-Ra is so important"
In response to Reply # 2

this = that article

Sun Ra warned us all decades ago. Identity within will leave one without identity.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Reuben
1857 posts
Thu Dec-27-12 12:47 PM

7. "explain this to me"
In response to Reply # 6

>
>Sun Ra warned us all decades ago. Identity within will leave
>one without identity.

is this collectivism vs individualism
i.e stronger sense of collective connectedness vs greater individual freedoms to be able to form own isolated personal identities

or

black ppl and (other minority groups i geuss) assimilating into the mainstream leaves these ppl identity-less and the problems that causes

?

(btw have you read Dambudzo Marechera?)

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 10:46 AM

8. "It's American (Western) History"
In response to Reply # 7

>is this collectivism vs individualism
>i.e stronger sense of collective connectedness vs greater
>individual freedoms to be able to form own isolated personal
>identities

Collectivism, individualism. greater freedoms, etc. All concepts reified within a western identity. Post-colonial that waestern identity is always the focal point upon which to base identity, despite the fact that said identities existed for centuries outside of the west.

>black ppl and (other minority groups i geuss) assimilating
>into the mainstream leaves these ppl identity-less and the
>problems that causes

Leave the mainstream out of it. That's just the loudest voice, the biggest mirror reflecting back your need to identify with it. After decades and decades black folk have come to see the distorted funhouse mirror as a true reflection of who they are.

>
>(btw have you read Dambudzo Marechera?)

Don't think I'm familiar.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Reuben
1857 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 11:37 AM

9. "this line hard as fuck"
In response to Reply # 8

After decades and decades black folk have
>come to see the distorted funhouse mirror as a true reflection
>of who they are.
>

Dambudzo was a zimbabwean writer
'
'black skin what masks the insanity underneath of a post colonial racial identity'

you really should check him out.

thing is how we gonna get these ideas to the youth/the masses?

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 12:04 PM

10. "This is what trips me out about Steeze"
In response to Reply # 9

>thing is how we gonna get these ideas to the youth/the
>masses?

The level of detail insists on a level of focus, a depth of study. In the youtube era it's easy to see how one slips into such a rabbit hole, but why aren't the helping hands which our generation being received by the generations which were born out of them?

I've literally told my father that his generation failed ours by being coy with the reality of our surroundings. Has our generation fallen victim to the same trap. Reminds me of 1999 when there was this aura of hope in the underground of hip-hop. The belief that the mainstream avenues were finally opening up to our message. We've been dumbing it down to chase that carrot ever since. Even today when the carrot is clearly rotten from the inside out, many of us still drool for just a nibble.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Reuben
1857 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 12:13 PM

11. "oh man"
In response to Reply # 10

the elders failing us is so real to me

had alot of arguemnts with fam and others over it

i thought janelle monae was gonna bring it in the guise of afrofuturism
using the android vs human thing as an analogy of 'black skin white masks'

but i was too hopeful i guess

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Dec-28-12 12:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "The Idea Of The World Ending Seemed To Kept People Happy"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't pay attention to the subject line, just speaking at random.

>RIP to Capital Steeze
>>Didn't even really know about dude but if you dig around the
>interwebs for just a few seconds you'll realize how tragic
>this one is. Like for real, 19 year olds taking internet
>meme's to heart like that?

Personally I've never heard of dude until people started posting RIP this & r.i.p. that, finally heard a few songs by him when my favorite underground radio show played some joints by and featuring him, not bad but nothing I would've paid attention to anyways.

>Do I really need to hear that Gary Clark Jr. full length?

Well I heard it a few times, it starts off light soul-ish, then after the first couple of tracks it turns into some coldplay-ish & wanna-be bluesy style of tunes; the music is better than the vocals.

>JJDoom haters don't like lyrics. Oh I know some are hating on
>the beats but sorry they aren't bad enough to ruin the lyrics
>which are on beastmode through out. Not Jneiro's best for
>sure but they more than serve their purpose with bangers
>sprinkled throughout.

Never cared for mfdoomy but I like the beats on this, like you said not Jneiro's best work but one of his styles, overall it fits, can't see why anybody who likes mfdoomy would complain about this album though.

>If Flying Lotus opened up his mixes more giving all the
>elements room to breathe I might be more forgiving. But what
>he sacrafice's to put that bass right in your face simply is
>not worth it. He has beautiful ideas but they come out like a
>really good singer trying to hold a tune with a mouthful of
>food.

I only listened to FlyLo's last album thru a stream a week before it came out, sounded nice not what I wanted but exactly what I expected, nothing amazing was presented but good he's continuing to put albums out on this level instead of getting weird with it. Personally I love the whole "slapping bass in my face" type of tunes, movement in songs is key but I need that thumpage. I need to listen to this album on my own system (home & car) to see how I really feel about this album though.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Sat Dec-29-12 07:48 AM

13. "you do NOT need to listen to the gary clark jr album."
In response to Reply # 0

nobody does.

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3052 posts
Sat Dec-29-12 01:09 PM

14. "RE: imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World..."
In response to Reply # 0

>The quote you should know already is for Sun Ra. He's an
>interesting figure in the midst of this culture, which sees
>him as some sort of psychadelic god who speaks through them on
>DMT trips. Don't they know he would have none of that?

yea, how ironic.

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Tue Jan-01-13 03:03 PM

15. "RE: imcvspl's deep thoughts: "It's After the End of the World..."
In response to Reply # 0

Regarding Flying Lotus and the bass, I think he was going for a midnight underground water/dream theme with the album's sound and album cover. As people have said before, its somewhat a rendition of In A Silent Way by Miles.

signature pose.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:09 PM

16. "shutyobitchassup n/m"
In response to Reply # 15

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "You Sound Hostile"
In response to Reply # 16

Why you on the defensive?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Jan-03-13 12:16 PM

18. "It's a joke like his mentioning Miles n/m"
In response to Reply # 17

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Lobby The Lesson topic #2765547 Previous topic | Next topic