Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2759298

Subject: "Solange - True (2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Solange - True (2012)"

Album is so good I made a lesson post about it

80s pop updated and done right.... Dev Hynes did the damn thing

talk about it

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when is the physical release date or is it digi only ???
Nov 28th 2012
amazon has it listed for Jan. 8th
Nov 28th 2012
      thx Nick!
Nov 28th 2012
Oh wow.
Nov 28th 2012
Really good, really fun.
Nov 28th 2012
you said 80s pop...im in there
Nov 28th 2012
I wondering why the single was THAT good.
Nov 28th 2012
When I heard it I thought it sounded like Dev. I didn't know it was thou...
Nov 28th 2012
Album Of The Week: Solange True
Nov 28th 2012
was kinda excited off this post & the single but after a few spotify run...
Nov 28th 2012
couldve been good but she aint the person to pull this off.
Nov 28th 2012
RE: Solange - True (2012)
Nov 28th 2012
Liked her last album. Lemme go over to Spotify & check this one
Nov 28th 2012
It's aiight... mostly.
Nov 29th 2012
Funny because I like the songs as much if not more than the production
Nov 29th 2012
      Apart from 'Losing You' there ain't a single hook sticking in my head.
Nov 29th 2012
           RE: Apart from 'Losing You' there ain't a single hook sticking in my hea...
Nov 29th 2012
           'Some Things Never Seem to F-ing Work' has the best hook imo
Nov 30th 2012
                You're assuming I have something against 'Hipster R&B'
Nov 30th 2012
                Homie I'm not mad at all
Nov 30th 2012
                     Cool.
Nov 30th 2012
                No lie, hipster shows be the BEST.
Nov 30th 2012
good lookin
Nov 30th 2012
shes got a new compilation out on her label
Nov 26th 2013
I might cop.
Nov 26th 2013
      (0_o at some of these artist photos and names, though.)
Nov 26th 2013
           im buying it.
Nov 26th 2013
           LOL @ the name Jade De La Fleur (n/m)
Nov 26th 2013
           like a Key & Peele East/West Football skit version of boho soul names
Nov 26th 2013
           PETITE NOIR
Nov 27th 2013
           LMAO exactly. nm
Nov 27th 2013
           Cassie?!
Nov 27th 2013
           India Shawn CANNOT be serious with that pose and picture
Nov 27th 2013
                Lol damn....I went to undergrad with her
Nov 27th 2013
                     i'm just taking the piss at the buddhist :-)
Nov 28th 2013
                          and went and looked up her music.
Nov 28th 2013
                               i googled for some none hippy pics, she's cute
Nov 28th 2013
I haven't liked anything by her as much as Cosmic Journey
Nov 27th 2013
well,well i never knew Latoya Jackson jr had any real fans?
Nov 27th 2013
Thanks for the heads up will put on my digital wishlist
Dec 01st 2013

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when is the physical release date or is it digi only ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:09 PM

3. "amazon has it listed for Jan. 8th"
In response to Reply # 1

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 05:16 PM

8. "thx Nick!"
In response to Reply # 3

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Oh wow."
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't like her last release save a couple of songs.
But the songs I did like, I really liked.
Gonna have to check this out.

--------------------

blah blah blah

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:23 PM

4. "Really good, really fun."
In response to Reply # 0

The production masks the sadness in the lyrics.

I've listened to it 4 times since yesterday.

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:28 PM

5. "you said 80s pop...im in there"
In response to Reply # 0

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:30 PM

6. "I wondering why the single was THAT good."
In response to Reply # 0

Dev Hynes, makes total sense now.

Nice EP thanks for the heads up.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 11:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "When I heard it I thought it sounded like Dev. I didn't know it was thou..."
In response to Reply # 6

>Dev Hynes, makes total sense now.
>
>Nice EP thanks for the heads up.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

OldPro
34401 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 03:55 PM

7. "Album Of The Week: Solange True"
In response to Reply # 0

http://stereogum.com/1207821/album-of-the-week-solange-true/top-stories/

When Jay-Z and Beyoncé showed up at a Grizzly Bear show in Brooklyn three years ago, I was working for Pitchfork and had to write a news story about it, because that’s what my life is like. In my original draft, I had a joke about how you kinda have to do what your sister-in-law wants to do when she’s in town. My editor took that joke out, telling me that we didn’t know that Solange Knowles dragged Jay and Bey to the show when they would’ve rather been spending quality time with their solid-gold pinball machine or whatever instead. Soon enough, though, we learned that I was right — that the show had been Solange’s idea and that Jay had not, in fact, been banging Yellow House in his Maybach on the way to Def Jam meetings. This was not a surprise. Plenty of big-money pop artists have experimented with indie-rock sonics, whatever that even means, in the past few years, and more will soon. (The smart ones will just hire Jamie xx and/or Frank Ocean, as Alicia Keys does on her own new album.) But Solange, alone in that universe, has always come across as the type of person who has serious opinions about what Deakin adds or takes away when he joins back up with Animal Collective. She’s someone who moves through the indiesphere without making it look like a pandering grab at a new audience — like she’s Big Boi throwing Wavves on an album track. And now that Solange has finally made her indie record, she’s made one that sounds like pop music, which is the smartest thing she could’ve possibly done.

True — which, at seven songs and 28 minutes, is trapped somewhere between an EP and an album — is kinda-famously out on Terrible Records, the label co-founded by Grizzly Bear’s Chris Taylor. But it’s not her attempt at making Veckatimest, or even at a Twin Shadow record. She’s co-written and co-produced the entire thing herself. As her one big collaborator, she’s enlisted Blood Orange guy Dev Hynes, an artist who’s cycled through a half-dozen musical styles over the past decade before settling on a drug-dazed, ’80s-informed synthpop thing. And that’s a sound that suits Solange beautifully. Her voice isn’t an emotional-cannon WMD thing, like the thing her sister possesses. It’s nearly as dextrous, but it’s smaller and softer. And in her previous life as a major-label prospect, she’s always brought a tricky intimacy to her songs; the 2008 single “Sandcastle Disco” remains an unheralded favorite. And here, she focuses on her strengths by going even smaller, by reducing her sound to whispers and coos.

And so True is just an enormously likable little record, a lovelorn sigh that never bashes you over the head with anything. There are no obvious indie signifiers beyond; instead, we get smart and buried production tricks like the squiggly synth-bass on “Some Things Never Seem To Fucking Work” or the mumbly kinda-rap verse that Hynes turns in on that same song. If anything, Solange, like Frank Ocean or Miguel, is playing around with the R&B touches that have been showing up in indie-pop recently, showing you kids how someone with a real no-shit star-quality voice approaches this stuff. The songs are about breaking up, or being about to break up, or wondering why you broke up when you were really happier than you realized. And the lyrics are more specific than you’d expect from a Knowles: “Remember when you kissed me at Jimmy John’s when I was 17 / Convinced you were the shit.” They’re indecisive songs, songs about being trapped in uncertainty.

But it’s still a remarkably happy-sounding record; even its saddest songs breezy and weightless. First single and opening track “Losing You” is an absolute joy, a ripple of love. And if you were writing a cynical trend-piece about pop artists going indie, you might snark something about the way it reappropriates first-album Vampire Weekend’s Afropop appropriations. But those flourishes are more subtle and nuanced than that; they’re built right into the flow of the song, and nothing’s been built around them. And that’s true of the entire record; Solange and Hynes understand how its production tricks can serve its songs. And even when Solange vocally cuts loose, wordlessly vamping as tracks end, she does it quietly and assuredly, letting her ah-ah-ahhs circle around the tracks rather than trying to drown them. In making a record this graceful and assured, Solange and Hynes have struck a decisive blow against genre-based gimmickry, and we should thank them for that.

True is out now on Terrible.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 06:17 PM

9. "was kinda excited off this post & the single but after a few spotify run..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm back to where I started, Losing You is a banger & the rest go in and out my ear mostly aside from a few struggle-notes on joints like Please Don't Let Me Go.

It's an EP but it feels long, not a great sign.

Losing You could or should be a hit tho & I like her energy/effort/cuteness/goofiness/80s-Madonna-style-pop-sensibilities but it's best in small doses.

Papi
Member since Jan 27th 2011
2313 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 08:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "couldve been good but she aint the person to pull this off."
In response to Reply # 0

theres no soul to her.
no vocal or emotional range.
she basically just recitin lyrics.

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 08:52 PM

11. "RE: Solange - True (2012)"
In response to Reply # 0

I will check it out later: http://www.amazon.com/True/dp/B00A2YJQK4/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1354157473&sr=1-5&keywords=solange

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
That NEW Urrrrrsher
Gregory Porter-Be Good
Dwele-GTO
Darryl Reeves-Mercury
Mint Condition -M@TSOL

catalyst
Member since Dec 27th 2005
1389 posts
Wed Nov-28-12 10:51 PM

12. "Liked her last album. Lemme go over to Spotify & check this one"
In response to Reply # 0

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Nov-29-12 06:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "It's aiight... mostly."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-29-12 07:04 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

I dig some of the production but the songwriting is not catching me at all for the most part.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
34401 posts
Thu Nov-29-12 11:45 AM

15. "Funny because I like the songs as much if not more than the production"
In response to Reply # 14

*shrugs*

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Nov-29-12 11:52 AM

16. "Apart from 'Losing You' there ain't a single hook sticking in my head."
In response to Reply # 15

That's quite common with this hipster R&B, of course... but these songs seem especially wispy to me because at least the other stuff usually manages to toss out a memorable line or two that hook you, even if it's not in the chorus.

Just not getting that here.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Nov-29-12 07:27 PM

17. "RE: Apart from 'Losing You' there ain't a single hook sticking in my hea..."
In response to Reply # 16

>That's quite common with this hipster R&B, of course... but
>these songs seem especially wispy to me because at least the
>other stuff usually manages to toss out a memorable line or
>two that hook you, even if it's not in the chorus.
>
>Just not getting that here.

yup, same thing for me.

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 12:52 PM

18. "'Some Things Never Seem to F-ing Work' has the best hook imo"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri Nov-30-12 12:58 PM by OldPro

Like I've been waking up with that shit in my head for the last couple days... The grooves to Bad Girls and Trapped in Closets are infectious too. Losing You is actually one of my least favorite tracks on there.

The 'Hipster R&B' line tells me you are bringing more into this than just the music... I don't give a shit how you dress or grow your hair. It's a pop album with R&B elements and that's it. But this hipster labeling and hate (not just by you) is really starting to look and sound like a generational disconnect. I've been to shows that were filled with what y'all would call hipsters and had a much better time than I do at R&B or Rap shows today... There was far more positivity there I'll tell you that. But then young people having fun always seems to bring a backlash from older folks.

But that's just how I see it... to each their own

I'll let y'all return to your regularly scheduled programming now

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 01:05 PM

19. "You're assuming I have something against 'Hipster R&B'"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri Nov-30-12 01:05 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

I don't. Me calling it "hipster R&B" is not some sort of prejudicial hate or bias... It's calling it what it actually is.

>The 'Hipster R&B' line tells me you are bringing more into
>this than just the music... I don't give a shit how you dress
>or grow your hair.

I didn't say anything about anybody's clothes or hair, though. If I were judging the record based on the visual style of the artist, I would probably love this shit because I think Solo is fly.

You're working on the assumption that hipsterism is merely a sartorial style and that there is not a whole wave of hipster-identified R&B (or R&B-influenced) music out there that has a certain sonic texture to it. C'mon man...

It's a pop album with R&B elements and
>that's it. But this hipster labeling and hate (not just by
>you) is really starting to look and sound like a generational
>disconnect. I've been to shows that were filled with what
>y'all would call hipsters and had a much better time than I do
>at R&B or Rap shows today... There was far more positivity
>there I'll tell you that. But then young people having fun
>always seems to bring a backlash from older folks.

People saying that they don't feel a record is "backlash" now? I thought it was just an opinion.

And really, if anybody is making extra-musical judgements here, it is you. So I should award points to music now because of how "positive" the crowd is at shows? In that case, I guess I'll big up Raffi and The Wiggles now...

>But that's just how I see it... to each their own
>
>I'll let y'all return to your regularly scheduled programming
>now

Seriously... and I am asking this sincerely, not in the snarky manner in which it is usually employed: Why are you mad?

OldPro
34401 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 01:52 PM

20. "Homie I'm not mad at all"
In response to Reply # 19

I was just speaking on this hipster backlash I've heard coming from a wide range of people over the last few years... Anthony Bourdain has damn near turned it into a crusade. I thought I made it clear I wasn't directing this all at you. I go around with my boy Silk on this same issue... in fact we did again just yesterday so that is probably fresh in my mind. But really some people just have a negative reaction when it comes to anything that looks or feels of hipsterism... if that's not you then sidestep my comments and let them hit their correct target. But let's not talk like this prejudice doesn't exist among those in and around our age group.

But for real man I'm way past getting mad at people because they don't like something I like. I just was really enjoying her album and decided to make a post so that those that were curious could check it out... it's really not any more serious than that... I really didn't plan on going this deep or spending this much time on it but it's cool chopping it up with you again.

Peace

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 02:06 PM

21. "Cool."
In response to Reply # 20

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 04:03 PM

23. "No lie, hipster shows be the BEST."
In response to Reply # 18

Not counting those "old folk shows where they know everything" shows (like Frankie Beverly & Maze or EWF), hipsters show are better than most.

-They know the songs
-They get hype
-They actually dance...usually outdated dances to be ironic. But it's better than standing around.

So what they will be listening to something else in a week, that isn't my problem.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Noah Truth
Member since Apr 13th 2010
568 posts
Fri Nov-30-12 02:47 PM

22. "good lookin"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-30-12 02:48 PM by Noah Truth

i may have to cop after hearing the snippets.

"I am a human being becoming, help me become."

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 06:08 AM

24. "shes got a new compilation out on her label"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-26-13 06:09 AM by GumDrops

i give her kudos for doing this

http://saintheron.com/music/purchase-saint-heron-store-locations/

the bc kingdom song i was almost tempted to laugh at for some of the lyrics (made me think of DRS for some reason) but im into it.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 10:42 AM

25. "I might cop."
In response to Reply # 24

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 11:37 AM

26. "(0_o at some of these artist photos and names, though.)"
In response to Reply # 25

http://saintheron.com/artists-of-saint-heron

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 06:45 PM

27. "im buying it. "
In response to Reply # 26

hopefully its not all post-weeknd R&B

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 06:57 PM

28. "LOL @ the name Jade De La Fleur (n/m)"

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 07:32 PM

29. "like a Key & Peele East/West Football skit version of boho soul names"

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 04:42 AM

30. "PETITE NOIR"
In response to Reply # 29

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 09:20 AM

32. "LMAO exactly. nm"
In response to Reply # 29

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 09:16 AM

31. "Cassie?!"

She left Bad Boy?

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 05:56 PM

35. "India Shawn CANNOT be serious with that pose and picture"

I'm not getting a good vibe about her hygiene...lol
looks like was she born on a commune and never left.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 06:20 PM

36. "Lol damn....I went to undergrad with her"
In response to Reply # 35

No idea her music was taking off like this

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 01:47 PM

37. "i'm just taking the piss at the buddhist :-)"
In response to Reply # 36

corny photo aside...was she any good?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 02:08 PM

38. "and went and looked up her music."
In response to Reply # 37

*shrug*

not my flavor. I can see the appeal for someone else, though.

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 05:59 PM

39. "i googled for some none hippy pics, she's cute"
In response to Reply # 38
Thu Nov-28-13 05:59 PM by dafriquan

the music did not grab me right away but she has a decent voice.
i think her success like, say Kelis, would depend on meshing with a good producer/songwriter.
Everytime I have heard Kelis with a regular beatmaker, it's not been pleasant.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 09:57 AM

33. "I haven't liked anything by her as much as Cosmic Journey"
In response to Reply # 0

and maybe I only like that because Bilal is on the track lol.

I don't like her doing pop...needs to stick with the slower tracks

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 12:41 PM

34. "well,well i never knew Latoya Jackson jr had any real fans?"
In response to Reply # 0

when i think of her music career i just gotta laugh.

this chick is so wack she makes Ahanti come off like Pearl Bailey. please tell me this a thanksgiving turkey joke?

Latoya Jackson is rolling over in her grave at how wack solange is

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 07:09 AM

40. "Thanks for the heads up will put on my digital wishlist"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

Lobby The Lesson topic #2759298 Previous topic | Next topic