Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2758307

Subject: "andrew wk named middle east cultural ambassador" Previous topic | Next topic
GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sun Nov-25-12 06:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"andrew wk named middle east cultural ambassador"

this is kinda unbelievable. i guess they think hes the right guy to make them party hard. or get bloody noses. not sure. a better choice than tony blair as middle east peace envoy in any case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/24/andrew-wk-us-department-of-state-cultural-ambassador-middle-east_n_2184836.html

In bizarre news of the day, the U.S. Department of State of has named Andrew W.K. the Cultural Ambassador to the Middle East.

"This is a tremendous invitation," W.K. said in a statement on his website. "I'm very thankful to the Department of State for giving me the opportunity to visit a place I've never been before. And I feel very privileged and humbled by the chance to represent the United States of America and show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying. I can hardly wait for this adventure!"

The performer's website reports that W.K. will visit the Middle East "to promote partying and positive power." The story also explains that "Andrew will begin his journey the first week of December, 2012 and will visit elementary schools, the University of Bahrain, music venues, and more, all while promoting partying and world peace."

Born Andrew Wilkes-Krier, the entertainer is known for his love of partying. W.K. once told HuffPost his personal tag line would be, "I'm not here to impress you, I'm here to party with you."

For more, head over to Pitchfork.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
purely for my benefit, it turns out this isnt true.
Nov 27th 2012
so does that mean it WAS true, but State got cold feet?
Nov 27th 2012
LOL why does this line read so Onion-y to me?
Nov 27th 2012
i think my favourite part was this one:
Nov 27th 2012

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Nov-27-12 02:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "purely for my benefit, it turns out this isnt true."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you, US government!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/26/andrew-wk-cancel-performance-bahrain

Andrew WK forced to cancel 'world peace' performance in Bahrain

State Department says Party Hard rocker will not be representing the US abroad, as he had originally hoped to do

Rock star and self-styled "partiest man alive" Andrew WK had his career as a US cultural ambassador called off before it even got started.

The singer-songwriter behind such titles as Party Til You Puke and Party Hard announced on his website that he had been invited to promote the US in Bahrain, where he planned to put forward his agenda of "partying and world peace".

But it appears the State Department had second thoughts about the appointment. On Monday the US embassy rescinded the 33-year-old rocker's invitation.

"The conclusion was that this was not an appropriate use of US government funds," department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland explained to journalists.

She said a Bahraini entity had initiated the planned visit and approached the US embassy about co-sponsoring a trip for Andrew Fetterly Wilkes-Krier (better known by the stage name Andrew WK).

A glance through Andrew WK's back catalogue had officials questioning his suitability as a cultural ambassador to the conservative Muslim kingdom.

The musician's songs include Party Hard, Girls Own Juice, I Want To See You Go Wild and Party All Goddamn Night.

"I think the conclusion was when they looked at the body of his work that we didn't need to be part of this invitation," Nuland said.

The rocker tweeted his displeasure over the change of heart.

"I'm just blown away. After a year of planning, the US State Dept just cancelled my Middle East trip because I'm too party," he posted.

In another tweet, he promised that: "THE POWER OF POSITIVE PARTYING WILL NEVER DIE".

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Nov-27-12 10:42 AM

2. "so does that mean it WAS true, but State got cold feet?"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm confused. Maybe a beer and some rock would help me figure it out.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-27-12 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "LOL why does this line read so Onion-y to me?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Born Andrew Wilkes-Krier, the entertainer is known for his
>love of partying. W.K. once told HuffPost his personal tag
>line would be, "I'm not here to impress you, I'm here to party
>with you."

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Nov-27-12 04:41 PM

4. "i think my favourite part was this one:"
In response to Reply # 3

A glance through Andrew WK's back catalogue had officials questioning his suitability as a cultural ambassador to the conservative Muslim kingdom.

The musician's songs include Party Hard, Girls Own Juice, I Want To See You Go Wild and Party All Goddamn Night.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2758307 Previous topic | Next topic