Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2752603

Subject: "Okay, so how about the albums that surprised you the most in 2012?" Previous topic | Next topic
Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Okay, so how about the albums that surprised you the most in 2012?"

Let's take some of the focus from the negative side of things in regards to disappointment in music this year, and talk about some things we really liked that surprised us.

For me, it has to be Nas' Life Is Good. In 2012, I honestly wasn't expecting Nas to drop what I honestly now consider my favorite album of his behind Illmatic. Can't believe how much play this has gotten. I hope Jay-Z is paying attention and gets off this piggy backing of Kanye's steez and brings it back a bit, because right now I'd rather hear a new song from Nas than Jay-Z, which I have never felt in my life as a hip hop fan (circa 1999/2000).

I'd say all other albums that dropped were either the quality I expected them to be, whether good or bad (Brother Ali, Kendrick) or underwhelming (Lupe, GOOD Music, KRIT). There were a few that surprised me that I wasn't expecting, only because I wasn't expecting them at all (that Macklemore album, for one).

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hands down, that kendrick Lamar
Oct 30th 2012
orbital 'wonky' for the reasons you gave for 'life is good'
Oct 30th 2012
a few looking at my last.fm
Oct 30th 2012
Still can't get past Aesop's voice/flow
Oct 30th 2012
      I have the same problem with him
Oct 31st 2012
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pamyu Pamyu Revolution
Oct 30th 2012
I'll Second That
Oct 31st 2012
      ^^^ Officially part of the Kyarmy ^^^
Oct 31st 2012
Flatbush Zombies, only because I knew nothing of them b4
Oct 30th 2012
i might have to nominate this too...
Oct 31st 2012
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Oct 30th 2012
Chance the rapper 10 day mixtape
Oct 30th 2012
Father John Misty- Fear Fun
Oct 30th 2012
RE: Yuck, really?
Oct 30th 2012
      RE: Yuck, really?
Oct 31st 2012
Killer Mike-RAP Music
Oct 30th 2012
just looking at hip-hop
Oct 30th 2012
Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio
Oct 30th 2012
Cody ChesnuTT - Landing On A Hundred
Oct 31st 2012
what he got a new album
Oct 31st 2012
      yes
Oct 31st 2012
      Yep. CD Quality not that lo fi shit and fully realized songs.
Nov 01st 2012
           thanks yall just downloaded it
Nov 01st 2012
                Right on Brother.
Nov 01st 2012
Lianne La Havas - Is Your Love Big Enough?
Oct 31st 2012
Everything TDE related (K. Lamar, Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q)
Oct 31st 2012
Oh and the fiona apple
Oct 31st 2012

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "hands down, that kendrick Lamar"
In response to Reply # 0

I went in not feeLing nothing from bLack hippy camp at aLL. And I had heard kendrick on a coupLe features-- never thought anything of it and never considered checking for the kid.

So when I was seeing aLL the hype about the new record and was Like, Let me see what this is about... Man. I can't teLL u the Last time I Listened to an aLbum this thoroughLy. Its been some years. I've jammed the shit out of this aLbum and can't wait to faded&throw it on some more. There are onLy 3 songs on the reguLar retaiL edition of the aLbum that I deLeted & don't mess with. (The cLub song at the beginning of the record, and the 2 songs in the middLe of the record callede 'good kid' and the one caLLed 'mad city')

Kendrick set the bar for this new generation of rhymers and record makers. His aLbum is the one to top going forward..

That is the aLbum that surprised me the most in 2012 and probabLy since 2005

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:22 AM

2. "orbital 'wonky' for the reasons you gave for 'life is good'"
In response to Reply # 0

i already talked about it a little in the electronic 2012 thread so i'll spare everyone. i always like nas albums so i wasn't surprised at all about how good it is, but i didn't anticipate the sound of the album, and it's probably my favorite album of the year.

cat power's 'sun' was pretty surprising, and i liked it on first listen, but i haven't spent enough time with it to say much more. it seems that will be one of the sleeper albums of the year for folks.

i've had it for over a year now, but since it's officially a 2012 album, i'll add that i was pleasantly surprised how good the hectic zeniths self-titled album is. i could explain, but i'll leave it that if it didn't feel like a 2011 album to me, i would say it's my album of the year, and you all should at least listen to it since it was made by one of our own (amplifya).

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:22 AM

3. "a few looking at my last.fm"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-30-12 10:45 AM by amplifya7

Aesop Rock - Skelethon - still need to listen more, but surprised by his production...sounds just as good as El-P/Blockhead to me.

Burial - Kindred: I expect anything Burial to be dope, but he outdid himself.

Fiona Apple: Without Jon Brion and my not liking retail version of Extraordinary Machine as much as the unreleased, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I think it could be her best album, or at least tied

Holy Other: Sounded more synthetic and less lo-fi/field recordingy/distortion than I was expecting, but on repeat listens I like it a lot

Bat For Lashes: The song that got me hooked on her was "Glass" which is totally over the top in the midevil sounding "big" live/acoustic random instruments, so when I first heard the new album being a bit more minimalist and kate-bushy in aesthetics I wasn't sure how to feel, but after repeat listens the songs grew on me a lot. So not surprised that I like it, but surprised by the direction she took

Saltillo - Monocyte: came back with an album probably just as good as the first one

Also, all those Night Shift Collective guys I was posting about...specifically Stumbleine is great to me

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 11:07 AM

6. "Still can't get past Aesop's voice/flow"
In response to Reply # 3

>Aesop Rock - Skelethon - still need to listen more, but
>surprised by his production...sounds just as good as
>El-P/Blockhead to me.

Only album I heard from him that I've been able to get through is the HMM album from last year. Think I've finally come to the conclusion that he's just not for me.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 01:54 PM

17. "I have the same problem with him"
In response to Reply # 6

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pamyu Pamyu Revolution "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-30-12 10:38 AM by Steve O Tron v2

I love Nakata's production, but I thought Kyary was going to be a flavor of the month/one-trick-pony act that I would get tired of quickly. Instead it might be my favorite album of the year. Pop crack music.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 12:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I'll Second That "
In response to Reply # 4

"Pamyu Pamyu Revolution" surprised me as well, mostly cause I'm so use to many of the jpop acts only having hit songs off of soundtracks and putting out singles instead of full length albums...that I know of.

I only listened to it twice but it was pretty good, I still need to check Perfume & Capsule's albums for this year though.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 01:23 PM

16. "^^^ Officially part of the Kyarmy ^^^"
In response to Reply # 14

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Flatbush Zombies, only because I knew nothing of them b4"
In response to Reply # 0

PROMO
Charter member
30979 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "i might have to nominate this too..."
In response to Reply # 5

i mean, i been on em for a minute since my dude was working with Erick Arc Elliott for a bit before they blew...

...and i LOVED the songs that started w/ Thug Waffle then SCOSA, etc...

...but even then as much i loved THOSE songs i still didn't think their "mixtape" would be as front to back DOPE as it was.

now? i think Meech might be the best ALL AROUND rapper in music for delivering what * I * think are the best qualities of an emcee.

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 02:21 PM

7. "Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music "
In response to Reply # 0

Unexpected collabo.

OC/Apollo Brown - Surprised that a vet could still drop a solid LP.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 02:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Chance the rapper 10 day mixtape"
In response to Reply # 0

I heard that song "fuck you talkin about" and I thought hew as a more rappity Cheif keek drill type rapper. but I downloaded the mixtape and the dude is just a regular high school teenagers making songs about about his life no real gangsta shit just good concepts about high school life.

HE really was trollin with that what you talkin about the rest of the album ain't really like that.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Lunchb0x
Member since Jan 28th 2012
64 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 06:16 PM

9. "Father John Misty- Fear Fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 09:36 PM

12. "RE: Yuck, really?"
In response to Reply # 9

Do expound.

~Austin

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus
http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

Lunchb0x
Member since Jan 28th 2012
64 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 07:59 PM

21. "RE: Yuck, really?"
In response to Reply # 12

the album isn't my favorite by any means from this year but it's solid...my top five for sure. it's just got some catchy tunes and that Hollywood Cemetary song makes me wanna shake my butt,so....it is what it is.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 07:15 PM

10. "Killer Mike-RAP Music"
In response to Reply # 0

1. didnt ever think the collab would happen
2. hadnt heard any other killer mike album before this
3. its fucking great

----------

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 07:33 PM

11. "just looking at hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-30-12 07:33 PM by Nodima

Life Is Good (I hadn't heard a leak other than Nasty way back when, something about the title had me expecting corny)

good kid (to an extent, I thought Section.80 would be a one time deal in terms of classics)

Children of the NIght - Queens...Revisited (never heard of them, very very good)

Spaceghostpurrp's (his mixtapes were fun but also felt like novelties, that was a VERY complete album held back a little by the last 4 songs)

Joey Bada$$ - 1999 (went the Mac Miller route but can actually rap entertaining raps)

Alley Boy - Nigganati (his other tapes were average or worse, this one was my favorite thing to listen to for a few weeks)

Ace Hood - Starvation (always hated dude's music, this one was personal as hell and lots of great production)

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

soulsupreme
Member since Dec 14th 2004
8536 posts
Tue Oct-30-12 10:05 PM

13. "Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-30-12 10:07 PM by soulsupreme

I didn't really know what to expect with this project. Outside of a D'angelo appearance it was really good album by Robert Glasper. All the covers are very dope, especially the Sade cover by Lalah Hathaway. She killed it. One of my favorite albums of 2012 along with Channel Orange, R.A.P. Music, Life Is Good and GKMC.

"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew

Otis Oliver Ocean
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
1471 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 06:11 AM

15. "Cody ChesnuTT - Landing On A Hundred"
In response to Reply # 0

This here album is my favorite of '12 so far and done exceeded all
expectations I had for the Brother. I'm proud of the boy like he my
cousin.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 04:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "what he got a new album"
In response to Reply # 15

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 09:05 PM

22. "yes"
In response to Reply # 20

http://cchesnutt.com/

Otis Oliver Ocean
1471 posts
Thu Nov-01-12 12:39 AM

25. "Yep. CD Quality not that lo fi shit and fully realized songs."
In response to Reply # 20

Ol Otis favorite album this year.

Called "Landing On A Hundred".... dropped this Tuesday 10/30.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Nov-01-12 08:37 AM

26. "thanks yall just downloaded it "
In response to Reply # 25

I rememember him dropping that song a while back didn't even realize the album had came out

Otis Oliver Ocean
1471 posts
Thu Nov-01-12 08:42 AM

27. "Right on Brother."
In response to Reply # 26

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 03:46 PM

18. "Lianne La Havas - Is Your Love Big Enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

Someone posted something from her live in LA ep in the spring and I didn't think much of it. I love her album though.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 10:31 PM

23. "Everything TDE related (K. Lamar, Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q)"
In response to Reply # 0

I was completely oblivious and unawares to all of their music until the start of this year and now each of their albums in 2012 would make my top 20.

And of course "section.80" is just splendid.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed Oct-31-12 11:40 PM

24. "Oh and the fiona apple"
In response to Reply # 0

because I literally just got into her music and this shit in great

----------

Lobby The Lesson topic #2752603 Previous topic | Next topic