Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2747635

Subject: "Typical Cats - 3" Previous topic | Next topic
Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Oct-10-12 09:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Typical Cats - 3"
Wed Oct-10-12 09:55 PM by Brew

Had never heard of these guys before. Out of Chicago, had a self titled debut in 2001, another album in 2004 then more or less disappeared (from what I can tell, at least) til recently when they dropped "3".

Anyway, this album is excellent. Listened on a recommendation from a friend. The production is top notch. Got that jazz/blues feel to it and they mix in a lot of beat switches, and beat interludes (a la Pete Rock/Soulquarians) which I'm a sucker for.

The MCs are pretty good, too, though I'm only on my second listen so as is typical for me on my first couple listens to most hip-hop albums, I've focused more on the overall sonic landscape without digging TOO deep into the lyrical content. I'll be listening for that on subsequent listens. These doods can flow tho, and from what I *have* digested lyrically, they aren't slouches there either.

Anyway, I'm listening on Spotify so I don't have any links to offer other than their wiki page for reference. Anyone heard this album, or heard of these guys before? Off the strength of this quality release I'll be listening to their other two albums this week/weekend as well. Interested to get some context on these doods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typical_Cats

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Qwel is pretty much a beast, and an all around good dude
Oct 10th 2012
That's dope.
Oct 11th 2012
Just got my copy
Nov 15th 2012
Nice.
Nov 15th 2012
Several listens through
Jan 22nd 2013
RE: Typical Cats - 3
Jan 22nd 2013
Nice. Thanks dude.
Jan 22nd 2013
RE: Typical Cats - 3
Jan 22nd 2013
This hasn't left my rotation since it dropped
Jan 22nd 2013

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Wed Oct-10-12 10:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Qwel is pretty much a beast, and an all around good dude"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-10-12 10:41 PM by Nodima

he's cool with one of the indie promoters here and a couple of the low profile indie hip-hop groups so he comes through Omaha/Lincoln pretty often, I wasn't really aware but I was doing a feature on one of the groups ( http://omahype.com/2012/09/qa-midtown-marauders-interview-9242012/ ) and ended up chopping it up with Qwel for a good half hour on the state of Chicago hip-hop.

I'd recommend Qwel & Maker's So Be It for a nice branching off point. I haven't dug too deeply into his other solo albums but he has a habit of picking a specific producer (he's done three with Maker) and rocking to a whole album of their beats, which is refreshing.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/N

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Oct-11-12 08:12 AM

2. "That's dope."
In response to Reply # 1

I'll definitely check that out. There's something to be said for someone who realizes how much more cohesive and better an album sounds when you have one or few producers.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Just got my copy"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the self-titled, but missed the 04 release. I heard a few snippets from this and had to pony up

>Had never heard of these guys before. Out of Chicago, had a
>self titled debut in 2001, another album in 2004 then more or
>less disappeared (from what I can tell, at least) til recently
>when they dropped "3".
>
>Anyway, this album is excellent. Listened on a recommendation
>from a friend. The production is top notch. Got that
>jazz/blues feel to it and they mix in a lot of beat switches,
>and beat interludes (a la Pete Rock/Soulquarians) which I'm a
>sucker for.
>
>The MCs are pretty good, too, though I'm only on my second
>listen so as is typical for me on my first couple listens to
>most hip-hop albums, I've focused more on the overall sonic
>landscape without digging TOO deep into the lyrical content.
>I'll be listening for that on subsequent listens. These doods
>can flow tho, and from what I *have* digested lyrically, they
>aren't slouches there either.
>
>Anyway, I'm listening on Spotify so I don't have any links to
>offer other than their wiki page for reference. Anyone heard
>this album, or heard of these guys before? Off the strength of
>this quality release I'll be listening to their other two
>albums this week/weekend as well. Interested to get some
>context on these doods.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typical_Cats

<--- Blind faith

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 07:56 PM

4. "Nice."
In response to Reply # 3

Glad you re-upped this. This album deserves way more attention than it's getting. I'm still listening to it a few times a week. Let us know what you think.

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 05:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Several listens through "
In response to Reply # 0

I like it a lot. I enjoy the live sounding drums and overall full sound. Plus the rapping is nice, as expected. These guys complement each other well. Album starts strongly and ends strongly too... Full Clip is a great song imo. The overall sound seems retro-fresh to me. I dig it a lot and this will stay in the rotation for a while, and I will probably revisit it just as often as the self-titled. Overall it is more polished than the self-titled and just as memorable.

<--- Blind faith

Noah Truth
Member since Apr 13th 2010
568 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 06:20 PM

6. "RE: Typical Cats - 3"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-22-13 06:24 PM by Noah Truth

Thanks, I wasn't aware they dropped another album.

qwel/maker... lotta heat on here bro
http://www.amazon.com/Owl-Explicit/dp/B003Z72DHS/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0

"I am a human being becoming, help me become."

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 06:21 PM

7. "Nice. Thanks dude."
In response to Reply # 6

I'll check this out.

Noah Truth
Member since Apr 13th 2010
568 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 06:31 PM

8. "RE: Typical Cats - 3"
In response to Reply # 0

wow! these dudes have truly grown since their earlier work. i've always been a fan but i feel like they were more about lyrics than delivery. the past few years i've noticed a lot of improvement (specifically Qwel) and this album confirms it.

"I am a human being becoming, help me become."

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 09:33 PM

9. "This hasn't left my rotation since it dropped"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-22-13 09:33 PM by mrhood75

Truthfully, I've never really been in Typical Cats like that. Bought two Qwel albums in the early '00s and copped the Qwaazar/Batsauce album last year. But I copped this on the rec. of a good friend of mine who works at a record store, and was not disappointed. Shit seriously bangs.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2747635 Previous topic | Next topic