Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2746704

Subject: "To Stan or Not To Stan?" Previous topic | Next topic
Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Mon Oct-08-12 05:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"To Stan or Not To Stan?"

So I wrote a blog post

http://fromitoi.tumblr.com/post/33151526833/why-fanboy-or-my-obligations-to-the-funk

not something I normally do (plug this shamelessly, or write something that long without closing my window halfway through it), but I thought the Lesson would make a cool place for conversation about this. A bit of a read, and it's kind of amateurish at best, but anyway.

Do you agree, people should vocalize their favorites all the time?
Do you think its important not to let artist loyalty cloud judgement, and how often do you disregard that principle and just like somebody because he's who he is, no matter what he's doing.
Do you think that we really do have power in our hands when it comes to spreading the word, or is the system completely controlled by gimmick, kich, and the major label illuminatorium?

Won't be mad at comments on the blog itself either .

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Not To Stan?
Oct 08th 2012

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Mon Oct-08-12 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Not To Stan?"
In response to Reply # 0

>Do you agree, people should vocalize their favorites all the
>time?

not all the time, but if you like an artist you're going to talk about them in some form

>Do you think its important not to let artist loyalty cloud
>judgement, and how often do you disregard that principle and
>just like somebody because he's who he is, no matter what he's
>doing.

it's important to be unbiased in life in general, but for me if I'm biased in one direction I'm not seeing the whole side of the other
you miss out on good music that way

>Do you think that we really do have power in our hands when it
>comes to spreading the word, or is the system completely
>controlled by gimmick, kich, and the major label
>illuminatorium?
>

people are basically being pandered to, and while it's not a new practice there isn't much in the way of talent nowadays to have that 'he/she can rap when he/she wants to, they just want that money' excuse to fall back on

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2746704 Previous topic | Next topic