Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2738556

Subject: "It's Friday night & I can't stop playing Love Letters" Previous topic | Next topic
OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Fri Sep-07-12 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"It's Friday night & I can't stop playing Love Letters"

It's hitting me this shit is a straight up classic... yeah it's got some weak tracks (a lot of older classic albums i love do too), but the amount of damn near perfect R&B tracks on there more than cancel those out. Liked the album a lot when it came out but as time has gone by its sounding better and better... up to the point where I think its time tested enough now for me to place this with some of my favorite R&B albums ever.

At the time this dropped, some of yall were on here taking apart the production but truthfully I think you missed the genius in this... R didn't set out to do a throwback album in the copy cat sense... it's familiar elements from the past but presented in a new and original way... and most importantly throw some really good songs.

You can agree or disagree truthfully I don't give a fuck... and yeah I'm still retired* but I had a weed brownie and felt like posting on a friday night when I ain't doing shit anyway, other than watching my A's take apart King Felix and playing Love Letters.

So yeah... not sure if I'm going to stick around for replies or go to sleep... or maybe yall are all asleep and im the only one here... do people still post in the lesson at night?

Guess I'll find out... or not

But yeah Love Letters is a classic yo

If you think being gay is a choice, you've considered it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol @ the two posts i posted in 20 minutes ago still being at the top
Sep 07th 2012
That album is criminally underrated. Makes it hard for me to listen
Sep 07th 2012
the Musical Genius of our times
Sep 08th 2012
Max, why is Kells hated?
Sep 08th 2012
      RE: Max, why is Kells hated?
Sep 08th 2012
Ray Ray does two albums of throwback R&B:
Sep 08th 2012
Ray Ray got a few problems
Sep 08th 2012
      I'm talking dismissing the sound
Sep 08th 2012
           folks call it a novelty,etc..
Sep 08th 2012

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Fri Sep-07-12 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol @ the two posts i posted in 20 minutes ago still being at the top"
In response to Reply # 0

*runs naked through an empty lesson*

If you think being gay is a choice, you've considered it.

catalyst
Member since Dec 27th 2005
1389 posts
Fri Sep-07-12 11:53 PM

2. "That album is criminally underrated. Makes it hard for me to listen "
In response to Reply # 0

to Write Me Back sometimes b/c he nailed that sound on LL.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 12:34 AM

3. "the Musical Genius of our times "
In response to Reply # 0

i'm going to say it period if Usher, D'angelo, Chris Brown, Beyonce, ALicia Keys,Mary J Bliege
or the vets dropped that album it would be heralded as all of that period.

the stigma and old Hate is the main reasons.

the brother is a Musical Genius and can't be faded.

12 play and the self title album in the 90's

chocolate factory and happy people in the 00's plus a classic bootleg in loveland to boot no pun itended

then you get love letter and and the irony of irony is that Love letter and writer be back were suppose to be double sets.

if you have ever experienced a break up,divorce then this is the coolest yet direct album i can relate to.

i related so well to this album.

number one hit and that urgency, can't get enough, radio message, just like that with that strong bass groove.

i wore this album out and still do.

he is the best of the past, the best of the present and he is very much in the now and this album reps like that

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 02:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Max, why is Kells hated?"
In response to Reply # 3

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 08:44 AM

6. "RE: Max, why is Kells hated?"
In response to Reply # 4

the stigma of his personal life which if you are a fan of music outta not run interference on his musical talent.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18120 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 08:32 AM

5. "Ray Ray does two albums of throwback R&B:"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm getting tired of this sound, I wish he'd make regular soul music this is played out"

R\Kelly makes two albums of throwback R&B:
"This is classic, he's the greatest, nobody else can do shit like this"

you niggers sicken me sometimes

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 08:50 AM

7. " Ray Ray got a few problems"
In response to Reply # 5

now he can play, Produce and arrange check 1)

however vocally the "Vaporub" singing just sounds flat 2)

as long as he has been around if that cat had the goods he would ether ran R&B or been close to it,however he never had the charisma as a Solo Artist 3)

his songwriting is often 2nd and 3rd rate. 4)

during the toni,tony,tone era is still his best, his throwbacks have good musical instincts and yet feel cold and undercooked because he doesn't have that warmth in presentation IMO and that is the big difference between him and ARRUH! 5)

also ARRUH's take was more of a personal statement and his own take on Marvin Gaye's Hear, my dear and how that all played out and yet in a love story with a broken heart 6)

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18120 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 08:59 AM

8. "I'm talking dismissing the sound"
In response to Reply # 7

when he did The Way I See It niggas was talking about 'there's no audience for this' and shit, then when Stone Rollin hit it was 'I'm tired of this sound'
just like anything else, the messenger is more important than the message to most people

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Sep-08-12 09:12 AM

9. "folks call it a novelty,etc.."
In response to Reply # 8

well you can't bring it back and lets not kid ourselves norman whitfield, smokey robinson, holland,dozier and holand wrote classics for that time, and acts want to use the sound and try to recapture that, however you need the songs.

all i say is you can have the song, however the feel and the songs are a whole different ball game.

and its not like every R&B artist is doing this either.

its risky in sound because 106&park side of the tracks ain't playing no "standing in the shadows of love" type song on there countdown even if beyonce, alicia keys,usher or chris brown did it.

those are called mature polished records which is a friendly way of putting you in the old folks section of R&B radio format,etc..

not many acts are pushing.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2738556 Previous topic | Next topic