Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2727310

Subject: "Anyone ever check out Suge's early 2000's album releases?" Previous topic | Next topic
Soul Power
Member since Aug 02nd 2012
449 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anyone ever check out Suge's early 2000's album releases?"

I've always wondered what Suge Knight's The Chronic 2000 Still Smokin' (Suge Knight Represents) and Too Gangsta For Radio sounded like but I've never taken the chance to check it out. The only songs I've ever heard from either of the two albums is 2pac's Who Do You Believe In and 2pac's Late Night song. Anybody here ever check this releases out?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I loved Too Gangsta For Radio
Aug 04th 2012
So is that one worth checking out?
Aug 04th 2012
i think i forgot it existed before this post
Aug 05th 2012
the first Suge release had a broke Pac cut with DJ Quik
Aug 04th 2012
Really?
Aug 04th 2012
Andre Harrell was holding points from Mary J and Jodeci
Aug 04th 2012
      RE: Andre Harrell was holding points from Mary J and Jodeci
Aug 06th 2012
You trippin, Late night is classic
Aug 05th 2012
      ^
Aug 05th 2012
      yep
Aug 05th 2012
Too Gangsta was recorded after Daz left...
Aug 05th 2012
Fuck Hollywood...
Aug 05th 2012
RE: Too Gangsta was recorded after Daz left...
Aug 06th 2012
*Looks at tracklist for Too gangsta for radio for first time since HS*
Aug 05th 2012
Nah, on principle I pretty much skipped all of it because Fuck Suge
Aug 05th 2012
those albums had a few songs but were nothing special
Aug 05th 2012
danny boy never put an album out and suge gave him 3 mill
Aug 05th 2012
Good for comic value
Aug 05th 2012
RE: Good for comic value
Aug 06th 2012

dundee
Member since Jul 14th 2005
1430 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I loved Too Gangsta For Radio"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm done......."

Follow my Tweets https://twitter.com/#!/1yankeesfan

Soul Power
449 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 10:41 PM

2. "So is that one worth checking out?"
In response to Reply # 1

I been thinking about just buying the both of them because I'm sure I'd find something on either two of the albums (especially since one is a double disc) that I'd like more than what's currently new and out. I think it's fun to go back and find some old new music to listen too. I still have no idea why I never took the time out to even just check out these releases when they were originally released even if it was just for the comedy alone because I know there's has to be some funny rhymes and skits on there.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 09:35 PM

12. "i think i forgot it existed before this post"
In response to Reply # 1

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 11:03 PM

3. "the first Suge release had a broke Pac cut with DJ Quik"
In response to Reply # 0

production which was a cool lil banger, however on a whole it was outtake worthy, no money tracks and it sounded like replacement REF MC'ing IMO. not bad, just not the real thing.

the too gangsta for radio beats are cool, just nothing of what I'd call memorable material.

Suge was trying to get Jay Z, Mary J Bliege, Jodeci, and pretty much anybody associated at uptown records(a back hand Pimp slap to Puffy and hanging Andre Harrell out of a window) to bring tha Row back.

nobody cared.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Soul Power
449 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 11:13 PM

4. "Really?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat Aug-04-12 11:13 PM by Soul Power

I never knew he was trying to get all of those artists on there. That's really interesting but I can see why, especially Jay-Z since at the time he was at the peak of his popularity. It would've been really interesting to see what Jodeci sounded like at that time since it wasn't too far from the time that they were talking about recording another album.

I wonder what ever happen to Suge Knight forming Blackball Records. I remember a couple or few years back he was talking about forming a new label name that.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Aug-04-12 11:27 PM

5. "Andre Harrell was holding points from Mary J and Jodeci"
In response to Reply # 4

over on MCA/Uptown records. and of course anybody associated with Puffy whom both Mary and Jodeci had dealings with, Suge wanted to strong arm and since Puffy and Andre were tight and it was Harrell who got Puffy through the door, well it got personal.

anyway remember KC and JO-Jo did how do u want it and Toss it up with 2Pac before died.

then Suge on mary's behalf stormed the Uptown doors and got at Andre to get Mary some more points on her albums that was the word on the street.

and of course memory serves me right right after Jay hit with Can I get a and hard knock life, Jay was approached by Suge. i remember this around 99 early oo.

Suge wanted in on things.

Suge got points off Snoop when he went to No Limit. and he wanted a new hit.

i remember when Mech'lle had that album back in 98 and she had tharow chain around her neck once she got with Suge.

anyway nothing ever jumped off.

i had that suge cd back in 99 and it had a couple of cool tracks and the rest was booty.

no offense to DJ Quik and what Suge had left, however No Dr. Dre,Snoop, Pac, Daz and Kurrupt,Warren G and Nate Dogg well that's like having one Jerome Bettis and being surrounded with Mark Malone and Merrell Hodges. not going to get too far.

Suge tried his old muscle tactics and they didn't work.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Soul Power
449 posts
Mon Aug-06-12 02:03 PM

17. "RE: Andre Harrell was holding points from Mary J and Jodeci"
In response to Reply # 5

>over on MCA/Uptown records. and of course anybody associated
>with Puffy whom both Mary and Jodeci had dealings with, Suge
>wanted to strong arm and since Puffy and Andre were tight and
>it was Harrell who got Puffy through the door, well it got
>personal.
>
>anyway remember KC and JO-Jo did how do u want it and Toss
>it up with 2Pac before died.
>
>then Suge on mary's behalf stormed the Uptown doors and got at
>Andre to get Mary some more points on her albums that was the
>word on the street.
>
>
>and of course memory serves me right right after Jay hit with
>Can I get a and hard knock life, Jay was approached by
>Suge. i remember this around 99 early oo.
>
>Suge wanted in on things.
>
>Suge got points off Snoop when he went to No Limit. and he
>wanted a new hit.
>
>i remember when Mech'lle had that album back in 98 and she
>had tharow chain around her neck once she got with Suge.
>
>anyway nothing ever jumped off.
>
>i had that suge cd back in 99 and it had a couple of cool
>tracks and the rest was booty.
>
>no offense to DJ Quik and what Suge had left, however No Dr.
>Dre,Snoop, Pac, Daz and Kurrupt,Warren G and Nate Dogg well
>that's like having one Jerome Bettis and being surrounded
>with Mark Malone and Merrell Hodges. not going to get too
>far.
>
>Suge tried his old muscle tactics and they didn't work.
>
>

Yeah, I'll never forget when Suge, Lefteye, Crooked I and Kurupt were on 106th & Park 10 years ago when he was trying to bring the record label back around. At the time, I thought he was going to be able to restart and make some kind of history again just no on the same level as before because he didn't have a Dr. Dre, Snoop or 2Pac.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "You trippin, Late night is classic"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 08:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "^"
In response to Reply # 8

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 09:37 PM

13. "yep"
In response to Reply # 8

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 03:32 PM

6. "Too Gangsta was recorded after Daz left..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-05-12 03:37 PM by ry 213

so its not as good as Gang Related or Daz's RR&G. Cold 187 was exec producing for Death Row at that time, but its not even close to when ATL were in their prime.

This was also when half of Death Rows roster were cheap knockoffs of old acts. So you have The Realist and Top Dogg doing their best impersonations of Pac and Snoop.

There are some entertaining songs on it though, Fuck Dre and This is the Thanks You Get take cheap shots at Dre with beats that totally rip off Dre production. The Realist Fuck Hollywood takes shot at actors, calling everybody gay. Id have to listen to that song again but I think some of the shit talking on there turned out to be true. They call Dre Alize all over the album because he is fruity like the drink lmao...

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 03:35 PM

7. "Fuck Hollywood..."
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchufXsUD90

lol

Soul Power
449 posts
Mon Aug-06-12 02:06 PM

18. "RE: Too Gangsta was recorded after Daz left..."
In response to Reply # 6

>so its not as good as Gang Related or Daz's RR&G. Cold 187
>was exec producing for Death Row at that time, but its not
>even close to when ATL were in their prime.
>
>This was also when half of Death Rows roster were cheap
>knockoffs of old acts. So you have The Realist and Top Dogg
>doing their best impersonations of Pac and Snoop.
>
>There are some entertaining songs on it though, Fuck Dre and
>This is the Thanks You Get take cheap shots at Dre with beats
>that totally rip off Dre production. The Realist Fuck
>Hollywood takes shot at actors, calling everybody gay. Id have
>to listen to that song again but I think some of the shit
>talking on there turned out to be true. They call Dre Alize
>all over the album because he is fruity like the drink
>lmao...

Yeah, Daz's work as far as his contributions to the Gang Related soundtrack and Gridlock'd soundtrack as well as his own first album are overlooked. He did some really nice work on those albums. Way Too Major is one of my favorites of those two soundtracks, here's a link:

Way Too Major
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCgiaj9SMUQ

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 03:59 PM

9. "*Looks at tracklist for Too gangsta for radio for first time since HS*"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-05-12 04:13 PM by -DJ R-Tistic-

I used to play "Death Rizzo" a lot when I was in my Crooked I phase, and CJ Mac "I ain't fuccin wit cha" was bangin back then, but that album was pretty wack.

Chronic 2000 was average, and it's the reason Dre's album was called 2001. It had a few songs...only songs that got play on radio/TV were Soopafly "Like it or not" and that Snoop clone Top Dogg's Cindafella.

Dead man walking was released in this period too, and it had a few bangers on it like the original Hit Rocks

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 07:52 PM

10. "Nah, on principle I pretty much skipped all of it because Fuck Suge"
In response to Reply # 0

Ironically he failed because he made the mistake of thinking he was more important than the talent which is what he blasted Puff for doing.

Well, that & being a psychopath who couldn't stay out of jail that people feared rather than respect or loved.

I swear I always said to myself if I ever saw Suge I'd tell him to his face exactly how badly he fucked up but then I did meet him and that notion left my brain pretty quickly.

And the odd thing is he was actually pretty cool, I ended up next to him at the bar watching the fourth quarter & OTs of that Bron-singlehandedly-destroys-the-Pistons game in the 2007 playoffs but it was more self-preservation than sympathetic feelings that had me holding my tongue on that subject.

Anyway, I'm now curious as well, if anyone has a link to their favorite joints from this era post em up.

The only Death Row album I bought since it all went to shit was that one when Kurupt came back around 04/05 & that album was a complete dud.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 09:48 PM

14. "those albums had a few songs but were nothing special"
In response to Reply # 0

i kinda liked this song at the time.

mr officer

remember topp dogg made that goin back to cali diss song after biggie died? suge is such an ass. i don't think this was on either album.

milkbone had an eminem diss song, ha.

here's a song from the fake 2pac dude. ff to 20 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmxsXHVQK0

danny boy had some good songs on deathrow soundtracks but not these ones.

gridlock'd soundtrack had a couple good songs on it.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 10:04 PM

15. "danny boy never put an album out and suge gave him 3 mill"
In response to Reply # 14

apparently. just listened to this danny boy interview. i think danny boy is the only person in the world that doesn't think suge is an ahole.

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Sun Aug-05-12 10:12 PM

16. "Good for comic value"
In response to Reply # 0

That's about it. Most of that stuff was so focused on sounding like and then dissing Dre and Snoop that it comes across as a skit. Topp Dogg, The Realest, Mad CJ Mac. Some really goofy ass shit. I remember thinking damn how can these dudes look at themselves in the mirror riding on Snoop and Pac's dick so hard. The Dre disses are funny but pretty weak. Nothing even worth responding too. The Crooked I stuff is mildy interesting. If you find the stuff for free or for like $2.99 at Amoeba it's worth a good laugh.

Soul Power
449 posts
Mon Aug-06-12 02:17 PM

19. "RE: Good for comic value"
In response to Reply # 16

>That's about it. Most of that stuff was so focused on
>sounding like and then dissing Dre and Snoop that it comes
>across as a skit. Topp Dogg, The Realest, Mad CJ Mac. Some
>really goofy ass shit. I remember thinking damn how can these
>dudes look at themselves in the mirror riding on Snoop and
>Pac's dick so hard. The Dre disses are funny but pretty weak.
>Nothing even worth responding too. The Crooked I stuff is
>mildy interesting. If you find the stuff for free or for like
>$2.99 at Amoeba it's worth a good laugh.

Yeah, really the only reason I wanted to check them out was for the comedy.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2727310 Previous topic | Next topic