Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2726310

Subject: "Want to upgrade all your old MP3's for the free?" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Aug-01-12 09:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Want to upgrade all your old MP3's for the free?"
Wed Aug-01-12 10:22 AM by imcvspl

Don't tell anyone I told you this... lol!!

So opening up amazon cloud today I discovered my first year subscription has expired losing my unlimited account. But it's rolled over to a free Premium account for 30 days. It'll cost $25 for the year to upgrade (I'll probably do it).

But there's something interesting about that trial. The premium gives you 250,000 tracks max. And it seems Amazon is now doing the match thing which means if you have files under 256k they'll upgrade them for you. Kinda sweet. Now can you figure out what I'm suggesting.

30 day free trial
250,000 tracks
They'll match your files and upgrade the quality.

Example

My track: "1 HappyHourMIXED_Clean" - Cee-Lo
Amazon match: "Happy Hour (Edited) (Feat. Cee-Lo Green)" - Jazze Pha Featuring Cee-Lo Green

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sidenote/postjack..but do you have any experience with this
Aug 01st 2012
not familiar but prolly wouldn't use
Aug 01st 2012
accidentally posted this in GD
Jan 10th 2013

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Wed Aug-01-12 09:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "sidenote/postjack..but do you have any experience with this"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.platinumnotes.com/

a DJ friend of mine swears by it...

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Aug-01-12 10:08 AM

2. "not familiar but prolly wouldn't use"
In response to Reply # 1

I can transcode on my own.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Jan-10-13 12:34 PM

3. "accidentally posted this in GD"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/amazon-autorip-will-give-free-digital-files-of-purchased-cd-tracks/2013/01/10/10015690-5b37-11e2-9fa9-5fbdc9530eb9_print.html

Amazon ‘AutoRip” will give free digital files of purchased CD tracks
By Hayley Tsukayama, Thursday, January 10, 11:38 AM

Is finally ripping your CD collection to your computer on your list of New Year’s resolutions? Some of your work may already be done for you.

Amazon announced Thursday that it will give free digital versions of CD tracks to those who’ve purchased physical discs from the online retailer.

Called “AutoRip,” the service automatically adds MP3 versions of songs — 256 Kbps, for you music nerds — onto the company’s Cloud Player. According to a release from Amazon, the service will work not only with new CD purchases, but any CD purchase made on Amazon since 1998.

(Just for fun and context: A look at Billboard’s chart of radio songs shows Chumbawamba’s single ‘Tubthumping” was the number-one song this week in 1998.)

Amazon users can listen to their Cloud Player music anywhere they have an Internet connection, including on their computers and most smartphones and other mobile devices. Users who sign into Amazon Cloud Player with their Amazon account will see digital copies of eligible songs already loaded into their libraries.

Or, as one Amazon explanatory video put it: “Congratulations, your CDs just graduated to the 21st century.”

There is one major caveat: The feature doesn’t apply to every album, only those designated as “AutoRip” tracks. Amazon is rolling out an initial batch of 50,000 albums from several major record labels that will work with AutoRip, but it’s not a comprehensive feature.

Amazon still trails Apple’s market-leading iTunes service and has been adding features to try to narrow that gap. In July, the company introduced a feature that lets users scan their iTunes or Windows Media Player libraries to import digital copies of those songs into Amazon’s Cloud Player.

It also faces competition from companies such as Spotify or Pandora, which sell access to music rather than relying on the libraries that users already own.

Giving users digital copies of their historical purchases allows Amazon to distinguish itself in the ever-crowding world of online music and to leverage information that it already has on its consumers.

Related stories: Amazon: The dark horse of 2012 Amazon, Macy’s, Sears settle FTC suits over mislabeling Judge dismisses part of Apple ‘App Store’ claim against Amazon Sign up today to receive #thecircuit, a daily roundup of the latest tech policy news from Washington and how it is shaping business, entertainment and science.

© The Washington Post Company

Lobby The Lesson topic #2726310 Previous topic | Next topic