Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2720213

Subject: "so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleared it..." Previous topic | Next topic
howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleared it..."

huh??

going thru the credits on nas album and on three of salaams productions... he sampled himself

http://hiphop-n-more.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/004.jpg

now... i've searched to see if these are commercially released but cannot find any info

why would a label pay a producer a production fee and then clear a sample the producer has sampled of THEMSELVES???

WTF

salaam remi is a genius.

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not the first time either
Jul 14th 2012
i think it does two things
Jul 14th 2012
RE: not the first time either
Jul 14th 2012
      Here you go
Jul 17th 2012
well it says "used by permission" ...
Jul 14th 2012
RE: so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleare...
Jul 14th 2012
This makes me wonder about something.
Jul 14th 2012
RE: This makes me wonder about something.
Jul 14th 2012
      Maybe this relates to Salaam's strategy then?
Jul 14th 2012
           RE: Maybe this relates to Salaam's strategy then?
Jul 14th 2012
Jul 14th 2012
Wow, thanks for making me aware of this, had no idea
Jul 15th 2012
RE: Wow, thanks for making me aware of this, had no idea
Jul 16th 2012
So this is basically a beat CD
Jul 17th 2012
Jul 16th 2012
Salaam Remi Has Been Creating His Own Sound Library...
Jul 17th 2012
RE: Salaam Remi Has Been Creating His Own Sound Library...
Jul 17th 2012
Fruit don't fall far from the tree
Jul 17th 2012
LoL..thats some slick shit by Remi..
Jul 18th 2012

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not the first time either"
In response to Reply # 0

although offhand i can't remember which album he did that on

clever scam

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 03:19 PM

4. "i think it does two things"
In response to Reply # 1

(1) its a tweak on the i have my own studio and i will bill the record company studio hours, that some producers and/or artists would do

(2) it inflates the value of his publishing company

jaydabeast
Member since Feb 13th 2004
27 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 10:06 PM

9. "RE: not the first time either"
In response to Reply # 1

You're right it's not. He did it on Lions Tigers and Bears by Jazmin Sullivan. I thought that was one of the best beats he'd ever done and when I looked at the credits when it came out, this is what I found:

"Lions, Tigers and Bears" uses a sample from Salaam Remi's "Sheila's Playground"

I've searched unsuccessfully for years for this "Sheila's Playground"

You funny duke, cuz really you think you can do me
When you roll a 500 that's really a 320
Should of let somebody else hook it
Numbers look crooked like King Kong shook it

Zayus
Member since Jun 19th 2005
1351 posts
Tue Jul-17-12 05:56 PM

18. "Here you go "
In response to Reply # 9

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/praguenosis/id318234405

--
what

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 02:43 PM

2. "well it says "used by permission" ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... so he may have gotten broken off on the front end of the production pay out possibly ?

CeeK.
Member since Mar 01st 2010
624 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 02:46 PM

3. "RE: so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleare..."
In response to Reply # 0

>
>salaam remi is a genius.

Dude is ill for listing himself in the credits as "SALAAMREMI.COM". Because of that, I'm looking at his site right now (and it's pretty dope). That's pretty darn smart.

CULTURE KING: The Most Trusted Voice In Independent Hip-Hop™. http://CultureKingMedia.com

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 03:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "This makes me wonder about something."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-14-12 03:29 PM by Stringer Bell

If you sample something and clear it, and then somebody samples YOUR song, do they just pay royalties to you, or do they have to clear the original sample again too (assuming the original sample is as recognizable in their sampled version as it was in yours)?

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 03:45 PM

6. "RE: This makes me wonder about something."
In response to Reply # 5

yes they must contact the OG publisher as well...

sometimes... even if the sample you took doesnt include THEIR work...

example if you sample Pete saying "they reminisce they reminisce"... u still gotta contact tom scott people.

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Maybe this relates to Salaam's strategy then?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Jul-14-12 04:26 PM by Stringer Bell

Could planting his own sample (with presumably its own licensing entirely under Remi's control) give him greater control over the future usage of the final track, than whatever standard single licensing agreement he'd have with the label otherwise? So in other words, he gives his record company a sweet agreement on the usage of his "samples" for the initial publication, but then going forward he has gained greater control over the secondary usage of the song by others? I don't know if this makes sense thought, since theoretically the control gained by Remi is still at the label's expense, and hence they could just negotiate a better standard licensing deal in the first place. So I dunno.

*EDIt* Basically, the axiom that you are not gonna fool the label makes it really hard to understand the purpose for this. I don't think sampling your own work is gonna make the label pay you more, and I don't think it's necessarily gonna make you able to cut a better deal publishing wise. So what's the point? Maybe it's philosophical and not economic.

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 04:43 PM

8. "RE: Maybe this relates to Salaam's strategy then?"
In response to Reply # 7

it kinda circumvents the record companies ownership of the sound recording...

because his sample is being recognized as a preexisting work and so... DEF JAM cant claim ownership to the sound recording of his sampled performance

it gets better the more i think about it...

the Jones Experience may just be milking whatever budget def jam has set forth...

jaydabeast
27 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 10:13 PM

10. "RE: so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleare..."
In response to Reply # 0

Did some searching. Guess he made this some time ago. Finally found that instro for Lions, Tigers, and Bears. About to get this on iTunes right now.

http://www.boomtunes.net/artist_load.php?which=6

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Sun Jul-15-12 12:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Wow, thanks for making me aware of this, had no idea"
In response to Reply # 10

And I consider myself a somewhat stan of dude. Very cool.

jaydabeast
27 posts
Mon Jul-16-12 09:26 PM

12. "RE: Wow, thanks for making me aware of this, had no idea"
In response to Reply # 11

No problem at all. Glad I saw the thread so I could search for it again.

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Tue Jul-17-12 10:25 AM

17. "So this is basically a beat CD"
In response to Reply # 10

Queens Story = Queens Story by Nas
Praguenosis = The Black Bond by Nas
Bad Man Waltz = Bust Your Windows by Jazmine Sullivan
Linden Bully = Legendary by Nas
Shila's Playground = Lions, Tigers & Bears by Jazmine Sullivan

mind
--------
matter

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Mon Jul-16-12 11:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: so Salaam Remi sampled his own personal recordings and DEFJAM cleare..."
In response to Reply # 0

this is me spitballing but...

If you are signed in a publishing deal or have had previous publishing deals.. I thinkyou have to clear them with that publishing company if you've submitted them. Just because things aren't commercially released doesn't mean they haven't been licensed used on tv, film etc... if that's the case then yea it'd have to be cleared.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Jul-17-12 04:12 AM

14. "Salaam Remi Has Been Creating His Own Sound Library..."
In response to Reply # 0

...for a while now; some musicians that do a lot of keyboard work, sound designing, and music scoring do things like this for commercials and sample disc libraries & pre-loaded sounds that you hear in keyboards, drum machines, and now plug-ins.

Salaam Remi's sample library is titled Boomboxxx, it's no actual commercial cd you can get these from, it's just for his use only unless he's working up to something which is probably why he got his site listed in the credits (SalaamRemi.com) and is planning on selling a plug-in of his tweaked sounds and original compositions for kats to sample from in the future.

This is the same idea I think Madlib had years ago when he said that he was basically recording his band work (ex: YNQ & YJR) and planned on sampling them later on in the future for his own beats; I wouldn't be surprised he's already sampled himself on those Beat Konducta albums.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Tue Jul-17-12 05:03 AM

15. "RE: Salaam Remi Has Been Creating His Own Sound Library..."
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Jul-17-12 05:05 AM by howardlloyd

I get and know what both you and double o are saying...

I'm saying if I'm the label guy I have a problem with it. like is BOOMbox gonna walk into court and sue def jam for copyright infringement on a work for hire done by the complainant?

and

if (big if) Saalam owns the rights to said publishing it's all in his decision to sue or not. the Winstons have a GENRE built off one of their recordings and no one has been marched into court yet over using it.

regardless to publishing/ownership situation I think it's a conflict of interest. I guess nas really liked those beats. they seem pedestrian to me

and madlib is a whole mother animal. he don't even clear samples he don't own lol

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Jul-17-12 09:01 AM

16. "Fruit don't fall far from the tree"
In response to Reply # 0

A move out the Van Gibbs textbook.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Wed Jul-18-12 02:35 PM

19. "LoL..thats some slick shit by Remi.."
In response to Reply # 0

Can't knock him though..

I know quite a few cats now that sample themselves..but they don't go to that length with it as far as the paperwork that Salaam Remi did..They just be happy with not having to clear some shit...

I guess producers should start doing this though..

Until of course the record labels catch on and find some response loophole to your loophole.

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.â€
- Andre 3000

Lobby The Lesson topic #2720213 Previous topic | Next topic