Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2719099

Subject: "Have you ever seen Drowndeep Hula live ? " Previous topic | Next topic
Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Have you ever seen Drowndeep Hula live ? "

If not then check this video @10'00
http://player.vimeo.com/video/25336781

Apparently he was insecure about doing it live. The rest of set is pretty good too but this is my fav song of his.

The whole experiment is backing him up.

Sorry if it already has been posted.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Have you ever seen Drowndeep Hula live ?
Jul 11th 2012
I had tickets to see it in ATL in 2 weeks... I'm very salty
Jul 11th 2012
honestly? his attitude toward "Embrya" left me a lil meh about him
Jul 11th 2012
embrya is prolly one of my all time favorite albums period....
Jul 11th 2012
fucking co-sign. which is why i dont like the way Max treats it...
Jul 11th 2012
      I'm wondering if he started reading to many reviews instead of
Jul 11th 2012
seriously...this is my favorite album by him
Jul 12th 2012
Yeah that puzzled me just now.
Jul 12th 2012
RE: honestly? his attitude toward "Embrya" left me a lil meh about him
Jul 12th 2012
Ok, so I love the song but what exactly do the lyrics mean?
Jul 12th 2012

spidey
Charter member
13118 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 07:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Have you ever seen Drowndeep Hula live ? "
In response to Reply # 0

nope...but thanks...always loved that track...Peace!

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 07:56 PM

2. "I had tickets to see it in ATL in 2 weeks... I'm very salty "
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 08:03 PM

3. "honestly? his attitude toward "Embrya" left me a lil meh about him"
In response to Reply # 0

he acted like he had temporary insanity when he was describing why he made that record, and how "left" it was. which is pure bullshit. there's nothing "left" about it unless u look at it thru the ever-narrowing lens of contemporary r&b/soul muzak.

actually its less him im meh with, more the strictures that led him to pretty-much disown the MAJORITY of that LP and hardly perform any of the songs (bar "Everwanting" on his most recent tours).

i love that he was guna perform the WHOLE ALBUM before his throat got fucked up. that shows me he was at least making peace with the album and giving fans a RARE treat. but his explanations and his handling of the song on Vh1 Storytellers was so...GRATING lol. he even dissed his own lyrics on the 2nd verse by sayn sumthn like sarcastically telln the crowd "OH YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKN BOUT!", making light of the fact that it still goes over ppls heads, even tho the lyrics aren't THAT fkn complicated.

...so yeh lol. course i still love Max, always and forever he will be the man. but his vibe toward the greatest disc of music he's ever produced in his entire career was just off. mostly i couldnt believe that in 2012, he's still feeling the need to defend, explain away and EXCUSE "Embrya". dude should NOT have been an r&b star, he shoulda run with a different crowd altogether that won't automatically make him feel so fucking insecure bout following his own muse/Musze.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 08:42 PM

4. "embrya is prolly one of my all time favorite albums period...."
In response to Reply # 3

it's damn near flawless in my book

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 09:02 PM

5. "fucking co-sign. which is why i dont like the way Max treats it..."
In response to Reply # 4

...he's constantly seen it as a sore point or sore period in his life. maybe it's connected to whatever personal turmoils he was going thru at the time, i know artists link some work with their troubles and i get THAT. but i dont even think thats the problem, and it has more to do with bowing to pressure, from listening to the WRONG ppl, to being influenced in a direction that completely SHAT upon the stellar work he did on "Embrya". man, i've OFTEN queried this entire chain of events, but he really did peak at "Embrya" (and all the awesome remixes that went along with it), and then slide back down into something...LESS afterwards. i still love all his work, but i can be honest enough to know, and feel, a marked decline SINCE "Embrya" (or since "Fortunate" hit big and changed everything, and which ironically had some of Max's BEST remixes to date on the CD single as b-sides).
and most of all, he lost a lot of what made him so damn likeable. it was a 'vibe' or at least an admiration for the amount of confidence and belief he had in himself as an individual entity. like, it seemed as if he was making decisions more in service of his overall art, following his own muse/Musze, as it were. and that was no better on show than with "Embrya". dude was just in TOUCH with a sound right there, that album was ALL of his influences mashed up into one sonically pleasing gumbo. shit was brilliant, and SO no overly-complicated as many ppl seemed to stupidly claim. it's some of the most easy to listen to shit ever created. it's noticeably PHAT, the drums knock, the guitars are FONKY, the percussion is live, n there's so many little things going on in the background that u need to listen to it on MULTIPLE different headphones to really capture the range of sounds present. and then u really start to appreciate the level of CARE that went into putting all of it together. like u could FEEL Max's heart and soul in that piece, which is a feeling that's been largely lost since then.

...wait wtf were we talking bout again? lol.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Wed Jul-11-12 09:18 PM

6. "I'm wondering if he started reading to many reviews instead of"
In response to Reply # 5

listening to the fans

also, radio personalities have a way of trashing music as well... when
it doesn't fit their format. I didn't read any reviews of the album, because I bought it the first day, loved it, and didn't give a damn
about who thought what. That album had the potential to change R&B,
but the critics wouldn't allow it.

umma tell you who else can drop an embrya-sque album... Raheem Devaughn. His mixtape 3(i think) had a jam session feel midway thru, and
i was VERY impressed.

I'm such a fan of musicianship, and I know
that's the reason Embrya is Max's BEST album in my book. Max managed
to bottle a feel that was unmatched that year. I'd even say, Embrya
birthed Voodoo.

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 12:02 AM

7. "seriously...this is my favorite album by him"
In response to Reply # 3

this is the album you can put it on and let it just play...
and then repeat

Otis Oliver Ocean
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
1471 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 12:42 AM

8. "Yeah that puzzled me just now."
In response to Reply # 3

>he acted like he had temporary insanity when he was
>describing why he made that record, and how "left" it was.
>which is pure bullshit.

He bout to make me go back and listen to the album to hear the "left"ness
of it because I don't remember it being so "left" save for the video for
"Cococure" with him in the bathtub lookin crazy and whatnot and the cover
of the album LOOKING like it would be super different. Really though that
shit was just a normal soul album. I really don't know what the hell
he's talking about with this "left" shit. Maybe duke think he deeper than
he actually is.

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 05:48 AM

9. "RE: honestly? his attitude toward "Embrya" left me a lil meh about him"
In response to Reply # 3

>he acted like he had temporary insanity when he was
>describing why he made that record, and how "left" it was.
>which is pure bullshit. there's nothing "left" about it unless
>u look at it thru the ever-narrowing lens of contemporary
>r&b/soul muzak.
>
>actually its less him im meh with, more the strictures that
>led him to pretty-much disown the MAJORITY of that LP and
>hardly perform any of the songs (bar "Everwanting" on his most
>recent tours).
>
>i love that he was guna perform the WHOLE ALBUM before his
>throat got fucked up. that shows me he was at least making
>peace with the album and giving fans a RARE treat. but his
>explanations and his handling of the song on Vh1 Storytellers
>was so...GRATING lol. he even dissed his own lyrics on the 2nd
>verse by sayn sumthn like sarcastically telln the crowd "OH
>YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKN BOUT!", making light of the fact that
>it still goes over ppls heads, even tho the lyrics aren't THAT
>fkn complicated.
>
>...so yeh lol. course i still love Max, always and forever he
>will be the man. but his vibe toward the greatest disc of
>music he's ever produced in his entire career was just off.
>mostly i couldnt believe that in 2012, he's still feeling the
>need to defend, explain away and EXCUSE "Embrya". dude should
>NOT have been an r&b star, he shoulda run with a different
>crowd altogether that won't automatically make him feel so
>fucking insecure bout following his own muse/Musze.
>
>V.

I also find it weird that after all the success that album got, after so many years, he still feels insecure about it. But he's just being honnest with the crowd and that's ok for me (and Im sure those women found it cute that he's a lil insecure with his work). That being said, he came out as a verry insecure artist after that live though. But that's ok, not everybody can act bold and confident, some of us are not made to act like they're fearless.

I actually think he made peace with this album but this performance happened last year. Maybe at that time he wasnt totally sure about it . I liked what he said before getting into Drowndeep Hula. I understand it as a proof that Embrya is actually his biggest pride and he's being thankful to his public for letting him do something more artistic.

Was that record left ? Maybe not for me but compared to what Maxwell was marketed as, it was. Of course it's not left like Bilal's left but Im sure it sounds pretty weird for the typical modern R&B head.

As for the "you know what I'm talking about" line, I didn't even think about it like that but now that you've said it, he could also be mocking those who reproach him those lyrics. Anyway, all that made me think that he needs to read reviews and criticisms about his work because he's maybe too insecure for that.

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 07:04 AM

10. "Ok, so I love the song but what exactly do the lyrics mean?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2719099 Previous topic | Next topic