Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2713509

Subject: "T or F: The primary instrument of funk is electric bass." Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: T or F: The primary instrument of funk is electric bass."

I'd like to talk about the role technology played in the development of the sound. Guitar is an alternate but IMO not the primary. Keyboards seem like a good choice, but funk doesn't seem to require them. Of course there's always drums but despite funky drummers I think it's still a suportter of the bass. And the bass has to be electric, helps a bunch if it's fretless. What say you?

Poll result (19 votes)
True (16 votes)Vote
False (3 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the bass is like the booty its gotta hit and be thick and stacked
Jun 25th 2012
absolutely, positively
Jun 25th 2012
this is why band of gypsys is called 'black'
Jun 25th 2012
Hendrix was always funky
Jun 25th 2012
Word up... that is BASS.
Jun 25th 2012
OSCAR PETTIFORD!!!
Jun 25th 2012
Mitch Mitchell > Buddy Miles
Jun 26th 2012
Billy Cox was never the primary instrument in any incarnation w/Jimi
Apr 22nd 2013
      said nothing of the sort fam
Apr 22nd 2013
           my bad, the 'proto' & 'primary instrument' bit at the end took me there
Apr 22nd 2013
they were a very good soulless band that i dug
Jun 25th 2012
rock bass basically being a guitar in a lower register is a great point
Jun 25th 2012
      Rock bass always been funky
Jun 25th 2012
      this is something that players of not the bass...
Jun 25th 2012
      But the problem you're encountering here
Jun 26th 2012
           *we* there signifying AA
Jun 26th 2012
                Are you talking about the fact
Jun 26th 2012
                     more or less
Jun 26th 2012
                          I hate citing myself, but check this out
Jun 26th 2012
                               so show that Sly was trying to be rock like
Jun 26th 2012
                                    seriously... I have to show THAT?
Jun 26th 2012
                                         If you want folk to concede your point
Jun 26th 2012
                                              *shrug*
Jun 26th 2012
                                                   ok but can you now see the dif between
Jun 26th 2012
                                                        Okay... let's get something clear, though.
Jun 26th 2012
Bass #1st, percussion #2.
Jun 25th 2012
maybe just to be devil's advocate I'm gonna say synth
Jun 25th 2012
no.
Jun 26th 2012
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqdtfxlYJi1qgzbb6.gif
Jun 26th 2012
it ties in to the same idea
Jun 26th 2012
^^^ sees it
Jun 26th 2012
hell no.
Jun 26th 2012
In addition to the bass I would add this accessory
Jun 26th 2012
what about James Brown's music?
Jun 26th 2012
      this is obv a spin off that post
Jun 26th 2012
           It's upfront during Bootsy's period in the JBs.
Jun 26th 2012
                ehhhh...
Jun 26th 2012
                     do these pass muster?
Jun 26th 2012
                          Both those are post-''Thank you'' though...
Jun 26th 2012
                          I don't necessarily think I'm looking at it relative to Sly
Jun 26th 2012
                               RE: I don't necessarily think I'm looking at it relative to Sly
Jun 26th 2012
                                    NOLA cats was doing it before James, though.
Jun 26th 2012
                                         I wonder if James went to Kansas City
Jun 26th 2012
                                         I wonder if James went to Kansas City
Jun 26th 2012
                          hmmmmm...
Jun 26th 2012
                               Hummed JB basslines are more recognizable than the guitar parts.
Jun 26th 2012
                                    those specific ones?
Jun 26th 2012
                                         not those ones lol
Jun 26th 2012
I'll Agree To A Degree
Jun 26th 2012
The primary instrument of funk is the cock.
Jun 26th 2012
*cough*
Apr 21st 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the bass is like the booty its gotta hit and be thick and stacked"
In response to Reply # 0

it jump starts the groove period however in truth heavy metal had stank in the bass as well and that made alot of cuts jam as well.

gotta have the bass, guitar gotta have that wicked sound, drums gotta pound, keys or horns have to be happy and happening, voice can be in any key as long as its funky.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "absolutely, positively"
In response to Reply # 0

that was the first standout instrument in Funk music. If you play bass a certain way, the music is automatically called "funky" by default.

which kind of brings me to something I've said about Chicago (the band). Peter Cetera in interviews since leaving the band seemed to resent playing what he called "jazzy" bass when he was in (which is a shame, because if all you know about him is that MOR, power ballad BS ... he is actually one of the baddest to touch a bass).

One of the reasons I fuck with that band despite them basically being what you'd call a "pop" band, is because of his bass playing. Cetera played that bass like a BASS... not some goddamn rock guitar on a lower octave. you know, basically what comprises the "bass" of Rock music.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:18 PM

3. "this is why band of gypsys is called 'black'"
In response to Reply # 2

not buddy guy, billy motherfuckin' cox. he was a fucking powerhouse on the bass. he was more subtle than what would come later for funk, but there's no doubt in my mind that what he did was the proto funk if indeed we can agree that bass is the primary instrument.

listen to pali gap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRj0YEMwLkQ
there's an alternate take of "room full of mirrors" that he just kills.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:21 PM

6. "Hendrix was always funky"
In response to Reply # 3

and he was a Good Bass Player his ownself, however he couldn't thump and Groove with the Experience and he knew that, he also knew that the Band of GYpys was going to be seen as a cult act and not get near the same amount of attention as what had established him.

however Hendrix was badd enough to get funky when he saw fit and he played both sides up and real well

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Word up... that is BASS."
In response to Reply # 3

>listen to pali gap -
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRj0YEMwLkQ
>there's an alternate take of "room full of mirrors" that he
>just kills.

I can't help but think that the genesis of that style of play comes from jazz music... good stuff here.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:32 PM

10. "OSCAR PETTIFORD!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

>I can't help but think that the genesis of that style of play
>comes from jazz music... good stuff here.

From Pettiford to Mingus. Pettiford opened the door for it when he started playing cello. The slightly higher register allowed him to have a more melodic presence in the groove rather than the walking lines typically expected of the bass, which of course came from the fact that prior to the upright the bass was handled by the tuba. Pettiford brought that freedom from the cello to the bass and the rest is history.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 12:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Mitch Mitchell > Buddy Miles"
In response to Reply # 3

and pali gap is THAT SHIT

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 12:13 AM

48. "Billy Cox was never the primary instrument in any incarnation w/Jimi"
In response to Reply # 3

I mean it was cool to hear someone laying down thicker bass lines than what you'd been used to hearing Noel do with The Experience (which was almost using bass in a rhythm guitar style) but let's be real. That was still Jimi's guitar running the show.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 12:23 AM

49. "said nothing of the sort fam"
In response to Reply # 48

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Apr-22-13 12:59 AM

50. "my bad, the 'proto' & 'primary instrument' bit at the end took me there"
In response to Reply # 49

but now that I read again, you actually didn't.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:19 PM

4. "they were a very good soulless band that i dug"
In response to Reply # 2

i dug Chicago though they were like a soullless version of the Average White band or the Bee Gees, Tower of Power or Steely Dan.

Chicago could play and had moments no doubt, however Ceteria wanted money tracks and hits and i don't blame him.

their is no reason why you can't have both.

if you got the goods on the instruments or the vocals, arrangements and Production then you want to hit it big.

no act should ever feel ashamed of trying to hit because you know how the business is and you gotta hit or be left in the cold.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:21 PM

5. "rock bass basically being a guitar in a lower register is a great point"
In response to Reply # 2

though i'm sure jakob will come in here and get you for it.

the difficulty with afkap's argument about rock and funk is that *we* can't escape that rock and roll is black. but when you think about that parallel for bass and guitar and differentiate what happens when there's a 'black' touch on those instruments how the genres diverge is clear. where they parallel is the changes in technology and how they adapted to them. funk was born out of the technology to play louder, with a power that wasn't possible the decade prior.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:23 PM

7. "Rock bass always been funky"
In response to Reply # 5

Led Zepplin had that in their stuff, Kiss " I was made for loving you" you can hear the funk and stank in the bottom.

however if you tell said artist or their fans that their is stank at the bottom of rock guitar well you might be lynched sight on seen.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 10:27 PM

9. "this is something that players of not the bass..."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Jun-25-12 10:28 PM by Dr Claw

>funk was born out of the technology to play louder,
>with a power that wasn't possible the decade prior.

...but of players of the Fender Rhodes pianos (including the PianoBass) say almost universally. The Rhodes is not generally thought to be a funky instrument (that really depends on the style of music being played), but almost always what you will hear about its most signature players is that the technology to play "louder" is what drove them to stay with the instrument.

I don't doubt that it is the same with anyone else who picked up electric instruments that could be amplified. There are ideas that have always been there, but unable to be expressed without the technological backing. Ever hear keyboard players talking about how great it was that they could "bend" notes like string instrument players could? that's that technology talking.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 07:09 AM

18. "But the problem you're encountering here"
In response to Reply # 5

>the difficulty with afkap's argument about rock and funk is
>that *we* can't escape that rock and roll is black.

is that you are exchanging "Rock" with "Rock & roll"... They ain't the same.

And rock & roll ain't necessarily all black either.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:44 AM

22. "*we* there signifying AA"
In response to Reply # 18

not necessarily me. I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying, but to clarify would you agree the parallel doesn't necessarily imply 'trying to be like'?

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:47 AM

24. "Are you talking about the fact"
In response to Reply # 22

>not necessarily me. I'm pretty sure I get what you're
>saying, but to clarify would you agree the parallel doesn't
>necessarily imply 'trying to be like'?

that I keep saying that Funk was the result of brothers "trying to be like" white rockers?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:51 AM

26. "more or less"
In response to Reply # 24

>that I keep saying that Funk was the result of brothers
>"trying to be like" white rockers?

i want to say its more a reaction to the times, technologies, fashions etc. a parallel progress which blacks took to the funk where as whites took it to rock.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:06 AM

28. "I hate citing myself, but check this out"
In response to Reply # 26
Tue Jun-26-12 10:11 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1745&listing_type=search

I really feel that a lot of the "freedom" that came in the Funk era was really a "white" influence... before that, Black musicians were always pretty "professional" in their presentation. I think the style (not just musical--visual, attitudinal, etc) that we came to associate with Funk came from Blacks wanting their own version of Rock.

Of course, the example I always love to use is the Bar-Kays... When the group reformed after the plane crash, they changed. They were still a "professional" Southern soul combo that looked like this:

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/Monobus/Bar-Kays---Gotta-Groove.jpg

but musically, they were reaching a bit... taking influence from Sly Stone:

http://www.divshare.com/download/13964154-c72

That was in 1969. Their next album was in 1971, and they had taken on a heavier, wilder, funkier sound and the new freaky Black look introduced by Sly that would soon become standard for Funk. And how did they characterize their new music:

http://dreamchimney.com/slvs/Bar_Kays1_20080311075137.jpg

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:41 AM

36. "so show that Sly was trying to be rock like"
In response to Reply # 28

because you use sly as the influence of the barkay's not rock.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:43 AM

37. "seriously... I have to show THAT?"
In response to Reply # 36

come on, fam... that much is self-evident.

(And mind you, I'm not saying he was trying to be "rock-like"... I don't think he had to *try*... he just grabbed freely from a lot of influences, and the rock of the day was one of them)

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:50 AM

38. "If you want folk to concede your point"
In response to Reply # 37

yeah... if you want to say he was trying to be like rock you have to show it directly.

Here's another catch though, we're talking Rock (no-roll) but in the hippie era. Psychadelic soul (Temptations) wasn't trying to be rock though? Folk were tripping on acid. You could call that very 'white'. Just trying to find the common ground so folk don't gut react to the funk was blacks trying to make white shit.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:58 AM

39. "*shrug*"
In response to Reply # 38

I mean, you gotta hear the rock in something like "Plastic Jim"

http://youtu.be/QmIPhpVQnZA

Or "Jane is a Groupee"

http://youtu.be/CbXVxDYOPAM

These are not records that would have been made in a world without the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, y'know?

>Here's another catch though, we're talking Rock (no-roll) but
>in the hippie era. Psychadelic soul (Temptations) wasn't
>trying to be rock though? Folk were tripping on acid. You
>could call that very 'white'. Just trying to find the common
>ground so folk don't gut react to the funk was blacks trying
>to make white shit.

The Temptations shit was very much influenced by Sly, by Isaac Hayes and by George Clinton (who was actually working at Motown at the time). And George will tell you how influenced he was by white shit. Isaac Hayes was also influenced by white artists (not even talking about Burt Bacharach) with his move toward longer, more ambitious pieces and the embrace of the album format as an artistic statement.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 11:02 AM

40. "ok but can you now see the dif between"
In response to Reply # 39

influence and trying to be like.

like i started with, i can concede influence, it was all around em at the time, impossible not to be influenced by. but trying to be like, implies immitation and that's not what one gets from what sly was doing.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 11:09 AM

41. "Okay... let's get something clear, though."
In response to Reply # 40

I can't remember if I originally used the exact wording "trying to be like"... If I did, it was careless and it has carried over to a driving engine of our conversation--an engine which is propelling it in the wrong direction.

I don't think that Black musicians necessarily were "trying to be like" white boys. But I do think that there was something in the spirit of the Rock phenomenon that they greatly admired and wanted to emulate, albeit in their own voice and with their own style.

They wanted to get away from dressing in tuxedos and doing tightly choreographed steps... they wanted the looseness and spontaneity that the rockers had. They wanted to let their hair down, so to speak.

That is the point I'm trying to make, not that they wanted to be exactly like Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison or something like that.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 11:10 PM

11. "Bass #1st, percussion #2."
In response to Reply # 0

One could even say that percussion is #1, because the funkiness is derived from playing the bass as if it were a percussive instrument.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Mon Jun-25-12 11:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "maybe just to be devil's advocate I'm gonna say synth"
In response to Reply # 0

cause it characterizes both the highs and the lows

from bernie worrell's central riff on flashlight, to roger troutman singing with it

If you were going to post up real funk that predated the synth stuff from the 80's from Gaturs to bohannon then yeah it's definitely the bass but i believe it was replaced with the synth because it could go from mosquito pitch to a thump plus carry the essence of modernity and novelty

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 12:40 AM

14. "no."
In response to Reply # 12

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 12:50 AM

15. "http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqdtfxlYJi1qgzbb6.gif"
Tue Jun-26-12 12:51 AM by Madvillain 626

naw

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 06:15 AM

16. "it ties in to the same idea"

>cause it characterizes both the highs and the lows

that funk as we know it was derived from a desire to express things that could not be expressed without the change of technology. Synthesizers for many years were large, unwieldy and cost prohibitive. and for many years they were monophonic as well. recording what you wanted to play with those sounds were an arduous process. But when models like the Minimoog and the ARP Odyssey came about, all you needed was someone who could remember how they built their sounds and you could travel with these boards...

so while I won't say that the synth is really what made the funk what it was, its inclusion in key records down the line ties into the same reason why electric bass became one of the most important instruments in the style of music.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:35 AM

20. "^^^ sees it"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Jun-26-12 09:35 AM by T Reynolds

I'm just saying shit was very important for the direction funk eventually WENT IN

and really how it is evoked today

you listen to how funk is used in modern day battlecat beats and west coast jams synth is central to that shit

Kokane feat. George Clinton on Hard as Steel is like prime example of that shit

Just copped Play With Bootsy (came out 2002)and the hardest track on there isn't highlighting bootsy's bass but uses west coast style synth funk

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 07:10 AM

19. "hell no."

Raytard
Member since Jun 06th 2005
1043 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 06:23 AM

17. "In addition to the bass I would add this accessory "
In response to Reply # 0

The Wah pedal (used on guitar, rhodes, bass, sometimes voice & as a studio effect)

The bass most definitely is the stankiest part of the funk, but that wah pedal allowed the guitar to wrap itself around the groove and add that extra accent to solidify the audiences stank face.

The wah pedal is so signature to funk that it even has its own catch phrase...

"bow chicka wow woooooow..."

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:41 AM

21. "what about James Brown's music?"
In response to Reply # 17

He hardly ever utilized such effects...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:46 AM

23. "this is obv a spin off that post"
In response to Reply # 21

from the thought that the main reason that James is proto is because the bass isn't up front. It's there for sure but it's not fully upfront until after that becomes the standard for the form.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:50 AM

25. "It's upfront during Bootsy's period in the JBs."
In response to Reply # 23

And afterwards too...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 09:52 AM

27. "ehhhh..."
In response to Reply # 25

I'd say it's always there but not up front. The bass weren't heavy. Hard yes. Heavy no. I will accept audio exceptions though.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:10 AM

29. "do these pass muster?"
In response to Reply # 27

Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine
http://youtu.be/NeCguDYd_tw

Super Bad
http://youtu.be/LJ9CLOEOB5U

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:27 AM

30. "Both those are post-''Thank you'' though..."
In response to Reply # 29

That being said, I think some of JB's earlier singles have pretty upfront bass-"Can't stand myself" has a pretty sick bassline if I remember correctly. The thing is that the *sound*/"Upfrontness" of the bass might not have been a conscious thing on JB's end; most of his songs were recorded ''live'' in the studio and in mono-it's not like James Jamerson putting the bass immediately in to the mixerboard or something. I think Sly's "Thank you..." was a stylistic breakthrough in terms of recording/sound and how the bass should be placed but I personally think *how* it is played in terms of rhythm etc. is more important than the sheer sound-aspect or the upfrontness...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:35 AM

32. "I don't necessarily think I'm looking at it relative to Sly"
In response to Reply # 30

mainly because I don't really subscribe to the notion that Sly introduced the upfront bass, or that it even became the norm after "Thank You"… At least not in the way that I am thinking about it.

"Thank You"'s bass is in the forefront as a lead voice… It's basically playing the role that a rhythm guitar would play in a conventional song. But the bass isn't "heavy"… It is "hard," in its leanness and angularity and the way it viciously snaps… but James Brown's baselines were fat, full, deep and upfront in the mix even if they were not acting as a lead voice.

That's why I think James' soul was more "heavy" than "hard."

Raytard
Member since Jun 06th 2005
1043 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 02:06 PM

43. "RE: I don't necessarily think I'm looking at it relative to Sly"
In response to Reply # 32

>mainly because I don't really subscribe to the notion that
>Sly introduced the upfront bass, or that it even became the
>norm after "Thank You"… At least not in the way that I am
>thinking about it.
>
>"Thank You"'s bass is in the forefront as a lead voice… It's
>basically playing the role that a rhythm guitar would play in
>a conventional song. But the bass isn't "heavy"… It is "hard,"
>in its leanness and angularity and the way it viciously snaps…
>but James Brown's baselines were fat, full, deep and upfront
>in the mix even if they were not acting as a lead voice.
>
>That's why I think James' soul was more "heavy" than "hard."
>
totally. I think the key ingredient to that hard style is Larry Graham and his slapping technique. He fathered a style of bass playing that would signify funk like the the accent in the guitar signified reggae.

There are other things that funk did to expand itself that James didn't do, but James is still the main guy to think of when the word "funk" is mentioned because he laid down a foundation. A bunch of his band left and joined George Clinton and put a building on top of that foundation, but James was there with his hard hat since day one.

http://revivalist.okayplayer.com/
www.jdillafoundation.org
www.twitter.com/Raydarellis

"Never go full Raytard."-Anfernee

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 02:10 PM

44. "NOLA cats was doing it before James, though."
In response to Reply # 43

>There are other things that funk did to expand itself that
>James didn't do, but James is still the main guy to think of
>when the word "funk" is mentioned because he laid down a
>foundation. A bunch of his band left and joined George
>Clinton and put a building on top of that foundation, but
>James was there with his hard hat since day one.

James took it to a further level, though... and then others took it even further

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 02:14 PM

"I wonder if James went to Kansas City"

to hear Kansas City Stomp. KCS was the turn on tuba to upright incidentally. But KC has always been in the shadow of NOLA.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 02:14 PM

45. "I wonder if James went to Kansas City"
In response to Reply # 44

to hear Kansas City Stomp. KCS was the turn on tuba to upright incidentally. But KC has always been in the shadow of NOLA.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:29 AM

31. "hmmmmm..."
In response to Reply # 29

kind of i guess. but... guitar licks are still signtures of both pieces. the bass' still walk, a little more out but walking none the less. if i hummed the bassline some might be able to recognize it as a james brown type bass, but could they pin it to the song?
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:37 AM

33. "Hummed JB basslines are more recognizable than the guitar parts."
In response to Reply # 31

In fact, most of the guitar in JB's classics are interchangeable since the guitar was there mostly to provide rhythmic texture rather than color.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:40 AM

34. "those specific ones?"
In response to Reply # 33

c'mon. you know those guitar licks. not disagreeing with your point, but those specific ones.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 10:40 AM

35. "not those ones lol"
In response to Reply # 34
Tue Jun-26-12 10:41 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

but then: what voice do the dancers obey in those songs?

Blacks heed the call of the bass...

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 11:32 AM

42. "I'll Agree To A Degree"
In response to Reply # 0

To me main sound in funk is the bass and/or the keyboard (such as the rhodes or arp); but there are funk type bands that never had a keyboard player in them and the same goes for a few that didn't have a bass player.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue Jun-26-12 02:19 PM

46. "The primary instrument of funk is the cock."
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Apr-21-13 10:23 PM

47. "*cough*"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Lobby The Lesson topic #2713509 Previous topic | Next topic